[Today at 07:05:03 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:25:51 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8446720 times)

BCHoopster

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 4/15/23
« Reply #34000 on: April 05, 2023, 04:08:36 PM »
Another reason why I think defense will be the face of the program moving forward. Al and Norman look like two great defenders.

I can see him redshirting next year so he can grow into his body, awful thin

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #34001 on: April 05, 2023, 04:16:32 PM »

yes, cause there is a long history of talented freshman redshirting at Marquette

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #34002 on: April 05, 2023, 04:17:24 PM »

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #34003 on: April 06, 2023, 11:33:03 AM »

It would be nice to see him grow a couple inches and add twenty pounds.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #34004 on: April 06, 2023, 11:42:36 AM »
Really interesting article on Big Al; sounds like the type of kid who will be easy to cheer for.

https://bvmsports.com/2023/04/04/al-amadous-path-to-marquette-basketball-is-unbelievable/

Sounds like a really great kid. And maybe he can give MU a little help on the boards.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #34007 on: April 07, 2023, 07:51:13 AM »
No worry. He received one of many offers by Marquette. Does anyone know many offers we have out there?

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #34008 on: April 07, 2023, 07:57:58 AM »
No stars?  Pass

I know Rico's doing schtick, but Blackwood is ranked #70 by On3.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #34009 on: April 07, 2023, 08:20:15 AM »
I know Rico's doing schtick, but Blackwood is ranked #70 by On3.

Sign him up!
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Marquette Fan in WI

• Starter
« Reply #34010 on: April 09, 2023, 07:58:07 AM »
What’s up with Bronny James? Specifically his recruitment and what people think his ceiling/floor is. Saw an article on ESPN about him today, would think being LJ’s son would have perks but special challenges.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #34011 on: April 09, 2023, 08:15:26 AM »
What’s up with Bronny James? Specifically his recruitment and what people think his ceiling/floor is. Saw an article on ESPN about him today, would think being LJ’s son would have perks but special challenges.
From what I've seen reported, top 100 talent, 4* talent. Better passer than scorer.

I'd guess it will take a very stable program and strong coach to deal with the BS that comes with him being LJ son. And I don't think LJ will be the biggest problem. The handlers, fans and press will be the issue. Plus, he sounds like a 'one and done' guy.

This is a very "drive by" analysis. Some will know better than me.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34012 on: April 09, 2023, 02:19:37 PM »
From what I've seen reported, top 100 talent, 4* talent. Better passer than scorer.

I'd guess it will take a very stable program and strong coach to deal with the BS that comes with him being LJ son. And I don't think LJ will be the biggest problem. The handlers, fans and press will be the issue. Plus, he sounds like a 'one and done' guy.

This is a very "drive by" analysis. Some will know better than me.

Seems like a fair analysis. I think Bronny is more trouble than he's worth, though not necessarily his fault. There will be an expectation that things run through him, that he get major minutes, and everyone will be watching. He's probably a top-50 talent that people expect to be treated and perform like a top-5 guy. Seems better to let someone else have that problem.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MUstarman

• Walk-On
« Reply #34013 on: April 09, 2023, 08:29:59 PM »
Seems like a fair analysis. I think Bronny is more trouble than he's worth, though not necessarily his fault. There will be an expectation that things run through him, that he get major minutes, and everyone will be watching. He's probably a top-50 talent that people expect to be treated and perform like a top-5 guy. Seems better to let someone else have that problem.

You really haven't watched him or his team (sierra canyon hs) play have you?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34014 on: April 09, 2023, 08:54:06 PM »
You really haven't watched him or his team (sierra canyon hs) play have you?

No, but I've listened to more than enough people that have, and he isn't regarded as a top-5 prospect (nor top-25, for that matter) in his class by any outlet. Generally, he's in that 25-50 range, which doesn't typically equate to immediate high-major star. But he's almost certain to be a one-and-done.

I'd pass on him. Too much baggage for a guy whose rankings don't typically project to "immediate star" level of impact.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #34015 on: April 11, 2023, 12:16:45 PM »
Ex/never Dukie, Mackenzie Mgbako to St. Johns?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #34016 on: April 11, 2023, 12:41:15 PM »
From everything I've read on Bronny, he came into the year as a 4-star, borderline top 50 kid, but has shown lots of improvement over the season and has earned the accolades (i.e. McDonald's AA, invite to the Hoops Summit). Whether he's a 5-star kid/immediate difference maker/worth the added attention, I have no idea. I imagine that's true for everyone here. But there seems to be plenty of evidence that he's a high-level recruit and not just the benefiting from his name.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34017 on: April 11, 2023, 01:13:56 PM »
A few basketball writers for The Athletic collaborated on a piece about Bronny, and here's a little snippet ...

How did Bronny look at the McDonald’s All-American Game?

Bronny was solid on both practice days as he made shots off the dribble and showcased his defensive capabilities. He operated well off the ball, playing alongside Collier and combo guard Jared McCain (Duke). They allowed him to play freely as a secondary ballhandler and create shots for himself or others. He has always competed on the defensive end, and the last two days were no different.

When I asked one NBA scout to rank the players from 1 to 24, he had James at No. 17. (The scout was granted anonymity so that he could speak freely.) At No. 35 in the class of 2023, per 247Sports, he’s the No. 2 uncommitted prospect in the country. Five-star power forward Mackenzie Mgbako retakes the No. 1 spot after decommitting from Duke on Tuesday.

Let’s just address this up front: Bronny was a completely reasonable selection to be a McDonald’s All-American. He’s something in the ballpark of a five-star recruit. He has improved enough over the last year that such a selection was based on his own merits as a player, not on his last name being James.

Having said that, it’s been up and down for scouts evaluating Bronny at McDonald’s Week and Hoop Summit Week. Scouts who attended practices leading up to the McDonald’s game said that Bronny struggled a bit at times. He didn’t look out of place, he just didn’t really stand out. But then, he turned that week around quickly in the game. He had 15 points on five made 3-pointers. He dished out four assists and had a couple of steals. It was an impressive showcase, especially when he hit a relocation 3 off the bounce for his third of the night.

How did he look at the Nike Hoop Summit?

I was not at McDonald’s Week, but I was at Hoop Summit during practice week, and I’d say it was much of the same. Guards like Shelstad, Collier, Aden Holloway and Garwey Dual overshadowed Bronny a bit, but he looked like a player who was ready to contribute to college hoops next season with his shooting and athleticism. Similarly to McDonald’s Week, he performed a bit better in the game. He had 11 points, four rebounds, one steal and a block. He closed the game out for the USA team. He and Shelstad ended up with the highest plus-minus of anyone on the winning USA team. Bronny has twice risen to the occasion in a big way when it mattered in these games.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #34018 on: April 11, 2023, 01:29:24 PM »
How about this Jesse Edwards kid from Cuse?

Last year, Edwards averaged 14.5 points and 10.3 rebounds per game, establishing him as one of the ACC’s best big men and one of the nation’s best rebounders and rim protectors.

He ranked first in the ACC in field goal percentage (.592), second in rebounding (10.3), first in blocked shots (2.7)…

He’s a Dutch international and his dad recently complained that Syracuse couldn’t get a good NIL package for him so he had to move on, so that’s probably not good from a Marquette perspective.
However, MU has dabbled in the international (OMax/Gold) and Northeast waters with recruiting.

Haven’t seen him play, but he’s 6’11/230 and seems to fit the Shaka mold at the 5, plus he blocks a lot of shots and rebounds.
Back up a little Brinks truck for the freaky deaky Dutchman and give him all the non-Oso minutes at the 5, maybe even play them together a bit, and allow him a chance to play for a contending team with an elite all American PG.
He got 30+ mpg last year but he can be elite/efficient with 20-24mpg, but the minutes with Oso around could be a sticking point.

Seems like a dream type of scenario if you ask me, and the type of scenario that takes Marquette from a really good team to an elite team overnight.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #34019 on: April 11, 2023, 01:52:17 PM »

Last year, Edwards averaged 14.5 points and 10.3 rebounds per game, establishing him as one of the ACC’s best big men and one of the nation’s best rebounders and rim protectors.

He ranked first in the ACC in field goal percentage (.592), second in rebounding (10.3), first in blocked shots (2.7)…

He’s a Dutch international and his dad recently complained that Syracuse couldn’t get a good NIL package for him so he had to move on, so that’s probably not good from a Marquette perspective.
However, MU has dabbled in the international (OMax/Gold) and Northeast waters with recruiting.

Haven’t seen him play, but he’s 6’11/230 and seems to fit the Shaka mold at the 5, plus he blocks a lot of shots and rebounds.
Back up a little Brinks truck for the freaky deaky Dutchman and give him all the non-Oso minutes at the 5, maybe even play them together a bit, and allow him a chance to play for a contending team with an elite all American PG.
He got 30+ mpg last year but he can be elite/efficient with 20-24mpg, but the minutes with Oso around could be a sticking point.

Seems like a dream type of scenario if you ask me, and the type of scenario that takes Marquette from a really good team to an elite team overnight.

Or......

Maybe Marquette has figured out a way to get NIL money to our international players, and we just haven't heard about it.  If that's the case, then it could be a huge plus for guys like the freaky deaky Dutchman .
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34020 on: April 11, 2023, 03:15:59 PM »

If Oso stays, why would somebody who could average 15/10 be willing to play backup minutes?

This is the conundrum Shaka faces while trying to get a big out of the portal. If Shaka's gonna be honest with potential transfers, he simply doesn't have a spot to promise a kid like Edwards. It sounds crazy to say that -- "you're talented, and you'd help fill our need for rebounding, but we can't promise you playing time" -- but that's the situation, no?

Oso can play some with Gold because Ben hangs around the 3-point line. I don't see how Oso and Edwards could play together unless Oso becomes a pick-and-pop 5. And that would seem highly unlikely.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #34021 on: April 11, 2023, 03:27:47 PM »
If Oso stays, why would somebody who could average 15/10 be willing to play backup minutes?

This is the conundrum Shaka faces while trying to get a big out of the portal. If Shaka's gonna be honest with potential transfers, he simply doesn't have a spot to promise a kid like Edwards. It sounds crazy to say that -- "you're talented, and you'd help fill our need for rebounding, but we can't promise you playing time" -- but that's the situation, no?

Oso can play some with Gold because Ben hangs around the 3-point line. I don't see how Oso and Edwards could play together unless Oso becomes a pick-and-pop 5. And that would seem highly unlikely.

That's why I think looking at the best rebounder from D2 that has 1 year of eligibility left is the best route. Similar to a Wrightsil scenario but a true big.

Any minutes he gets is a step up from his D2 status last year.
VIOLENCE!

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #34022 on: April 11, 2023, 07:20:56 PM »

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #34023 on: April 12, 2023, 09:32:31 AM »
Parham interview

https://youtu.be/TOJixZSDHyY

I was at an Easter gathering with my nephew over the weekend - he played against Parham this year.  His insight: "he's good" :)

He did say that there's a good bit of local chatter about Marquette surrounding Parham, which is good news.  I think Shrewsberry leaving Penn State helps, for sure (although Notre Dame may now come into the mix).  Pitt is tougher to gauge.  Obviously they have the hometown advantage, but I don't necessarily buy that Capel has actually turned things around. 

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #34024 on: April 12, 2023, 09:45:21 AM »
Parham sounds good.

I have a general question about how our recruiting really works. We have a lot of offers out there. Once Shaka decides on the player he wants most does he make the move to make the player decide yay or nay? And if nay, move on to the next one on his priority list.

feedback