[Today at 09:54:20 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PointWarrior
[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8480528 times)

We R Final Four

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 1/15/22
« Reply #30875 on: January 26, 2022, 10:13:51 PM »
Folks

Do not worry about recruiting. Shaka is going to bring studs to MU. Recruiting to MU is  going to become an easy task and we have an elite guy running the show.
Yes—I feel Shaka is going to be able to pick and choose and be selective in the upcoming years.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30876 on: January 26, 2022, 10:25:15 PM »
Folks

Do not worry about recruiting. Shaka is going to bring studs to MU. Recruiting to MU is  going to become an easy task and we have an elite guy running the show.

I'm not "worried" about recruiting, Goose. But it is OK if we discuss it in the recruiting thread, right?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #30877 on: January 26, 2022, 10:39:57 PM »
I hear he’s a package deal with DeeNice

It's Denice to you.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #30878 on: January 27, 2022, 04:41:32 AM »

Feel free to discuss recruiting and any other topic that catches your eye.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #30879 on: January 27, 2022, 05:13:21 AM »
Folks

Agree 100%.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30880 on: January 27, 2022, 07:15:30 AM »

Feel free to discuss recruiting and any other topic that catches your eye.

So kind of you to permit recruiting discussion in the recruiting thread, Goose. Thank you, fine sir!

Looking forward to seeing which transfers want to join Shaka and the guys in Milwaukee to play fun, entertaining, winning basketball. Top of my shopping list: a 6-4 or taller "D-and-3" guy, a rim protector, and any athletic shooter interested in totally buying into the system.

Replacing Morsell, Kuath and quite possibly Lewis is a tough task, but I'm confident that Shaka will be up to the challenge.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #30881 on: January 27, 2022, 07:45:44 AM »

IMO you cannot replace Kur but can get close. He is truly unique in skillset and athleticism for his size, and I am going to enjoy watching him the next eight weeks. Morsell and Lewis have been very big part of this team's success, but I think they are easy to replace by adding more guys to the mix. It might take three guys to equal their output and I think that is better long term anyway.

The recruiting, and more importantly, the free agent market is going to be fun to watch. I cannot imagine any guy that can play at a high level would not want to play in this system. Plus, having the World Champion NBA team, the Greek Freak and a hungry fanbase is going to make it easy pickings for HC Shaka.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #30882 on: January 27, 2022, 07:53:12 AM »
Replacing Morsell, Kuath and quite possibly Lewis is a tough task, but I'm confident that Shaka will be up to the challenge.
I think Shaka can start by asking recruits to look at the differece in the play of Morsell, Kuath, and Lewis under him versus their previous coaches...

dajudge

• Starter
« Reply #30883 on: January 27, 2022, 11:06:04 AM »

IMO you cannot replace Kur but can get close. He is truly unique in skillset and athleticism for his size, and I am going to enjoy watching him the next eight weeks. Morsell and Lewis have been very big part of this team's success, but I think they are easy to replace by adding more guys to the mix. It might take three guys to equal their output and I think that is better long term anyway.

The recruiting, and more importantly, the free agent market is going to be fun to watch. I cannot imagine any guy that can play at a high level would not want to play in this system. Plus, having the World Champion NBA team, the Greek Freak and a hungry fanbase is going to make it easy pickings for HC Shaka.
Did not notice it until the Xavier game, but Itejere's (sp?) speed and athleticism in the warmups was startling.  He clearly needs to bulk up but ....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30884 on: January 27, 2022, 11:25:31 AM »
Did not notice it until the Xavier game, but Itejere's (sp?) speed and athleticism in the warmups was startling.  He clearly needs to bulk up but ....

I think we might already have our Kuath replacement.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30885 on: January 27, 2022, 11:32:01 AM »

Agree that it would be difficult if not impossible to replace Kur's defensive timing. But you "replace" him by finding and/or developing players who can do some of what he does (albeit not as well) while being better at some things Kur doesn't do as well. Oso has had several games where he was not just better than Kur but considerably better, and that was reflected in the way Shaka apportioned their playing time. But no ... we could go another 10 years and not see the display Kur had in the first 7 minutes last night. His second block on Obiagu literally made me jump out of my seat!

If Lewis keeps playing at this level, I will respectfully disagree with you that will be "easy" to replace. He is first-team all-BE for sure already, and has ascended into the POY mix. I will match your confidence in Shaka finding a way to find and/or develop players that will make his departure less painful, though.

The future is bright, baby!

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #30886 on: January 27, 2022, 11:37:01 AM »
I think we might already have our Kuath replacement.

Or maybe an Oso clone?

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #30887 on: January 27, 2022, 11:48:32 AM »

From what I've heard he's a freak athlete with some touch on his J.  I think he and Oso will form a nice duo.  As Goose mentions though, Kur is hard to replace.  His shot blocking/timing/length, and even his touch on that little floater are really rare.

If I'm Shaka I'm heavily in the market for another JLew - we need a STRONG 6'7/6'8" physical power forward type.  Shaka said in a press conference recently that JLew really is the only guy on the team that they have who can physically go in there and mix it up and rip rebounds away from opponents.  I agree.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #30888 on: January 27, 2022, 12:09:45 PM »

Most folks here thought replacing Carton, Dawson, Cain, Koby and Theo would be a tough (impossible?) task.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #30889 on: January 27, 2022, 12:15:56 PM »
Most folks here thought replacing Carton, Dawson, Cain, Koby and Theo would be a tough (impossible?) task.
HAA HAA!!! So true. And any decent coach would never come to Marquette. Wins No Matta!!

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #30890 on: January 27, 2022, 12:21:49 PM »

Most folks (well, the “loudest”) thought we wouldn’t fire Wojo

They don’t know what they’re talking about
Bring back FFP!!!

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #30891 on: January 27, 2022, 12:30:57 PM »

Carton and Dawson:  I plead guilt to that observation.

Koby and Cain: Probably not but maybe.

Theo: That was pre-ordained and I didn't think for a minute that we'd have trouble replacing Theo until Theo learned how to keep himself in a game. He never did.

That's what's amazing to me. I thought we had decent to very good talent when Coach Shaka came in. My best guess is that the talent didn't fit with what Coach Shaka wanted and so it was in the interest of both Coach and Player to go elsewhere. It's amazing how Coach Shaka has done what Coach Wojo really could never do: Recruit players that buy into the T-E-A-M concept. It was Coach Wojo's downfall and will be what makes Coach Shaka a National Champion with us.

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #30892 on: January 27, 2022, 12:31:40 PM »
You don't really replace a Kur or a JL. They each have unique talents that can't really be replaced. And, with the new transfer system, Shaka cannot just pick and choose the players he wants. After all, there are numerous really good coaches and good programs looking for those same players and they all have good sales pitches. Shaka will have to compete hard for the transfers he targets. I don't get the impression that Kur was a hotly pursued transfer. Fortunately, Shaka saw something in him that would fit with what he wanted to do. Same with Morsell and OMP.  With the transfers and what Shaka is trying to build, it is just as much about fit and chemistry as it is about skills and talent. It's pretty easy to identify transfer players that have a lot of talent or certain skills. Identifying the ones that will blend with the players you already have and work well within your system is the hardest part. And that's the part I think Shaka may be especially good at.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #30893 on: January 27, 2022, 12:59:21 PM »
Theo: That was pre-ordained and I didn't think for a minute that we'd have trouble replacing Theo until Theo learned how to keep himself in a game. He never did.

Small point, but this is an oft-repeated myth.

Theo's fouls per 40 minutes"
Frosh  8.49
Soph  7.41
Junior  5.18
Senior  4.29
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

panda

• All American
« Reply #30894 on: January 27, 2022, 01:07:48 PM »
Small point, but this is an oft-repeated myth.

Theo's fouls per 40 minutes"
Frosh  8.49
Soph  7.41
Junior  5.18
Senior  4.29

He went from horrendous to really bad. An improvement but still wasn't very good. I really think his knee problems later on limited some fouls issues we saw in the past as well.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #30895 on: January 27, 2022, 01:27:07 PM »
He went from horrendous to really bad. An improvement but still wasn't very good. I really think his knee problems later on limited some fouls issues we saw in the past as well.

A foul per 40 rate of 4.2 is perfectly acceptable. It’s better than any year Matt had and right on par with Luke’s best year. Theo just got the reputation of fouling a lot as an underclassmen (which he did) and people assumed he never improved (which he also did).

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #30896 on: January 27, 2022, 01:28:44 PM »
I wouldn’t spend a lot of time recruiting Theo because he’s got to be just about out of eligibility
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30897 on: January 27, 2022, 01:34:37 PM »

This has nothing to do with recruiting for next season and beyond.

It's OK if you think it will be easy to replace Kur, Morsell and Lewis. I will respectfully disagree with you, but, as I said, I am hopeful because I have confidence in Shaka's recruiting ability.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #30898 on: January 27, 2022, 01:39:44 PM »
ACTUAL RECRUITING NEWS!!!!!!!!!!

Travis Branham
@TravisBranham_
 · 32m
2022 PF Ben Gold, one of the top international prospects in the class, has scheduled three official visits, source tell @247Sports.

January 29-30: Washington State
February 1-2: Marquette
February 3-4: Loyola

He's a 6'10" "guard/forward" at the NBA Academy in Australia. Appears to be a shooter with decent moves around the hoop. Also looks like he could use a lot of time with Todd Smith. Intriguing prospect for sure.

https://www.wellingtonbasketball.co.nz/new-zealand/ben-gold
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 01:41:34 PM by JakeBarnes »
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #30899 on: January 27, 2022, 01:42:27 PM »
ACTUAL RECRUITING NEWS!!!!!!!!!!

Travis Branham
@TravisBranham_
 · 32m
2022 PF Ben Gold, one of the top international prospects in the class, has scheduled three official visits, source tell @247Sports.

January 29-30: Washington State
February 1-2: Marquette
February 3-4: Loyola

He's a 6'10" "guard/forward" at the NBA Academy in Australia. Appears to be a shooter with decent moves around the hoop. Also looks like he could use a lot of time with Todd Smith. Intriguing prospect for sure.

https://www.wellingtonbasketball.co.nz/new-zealand/ben-gold

Maybe Harry Froling will put in a good word for us!
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback