[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8462820 times)

Fred Garvin

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 11/15/21
« Reply #30750 on: January 02, 2022, 10:31:31 PM »
I like Joplin's outside shot more then Justin's.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #30751 on: January 03, 2022, 07:06:06 AM »
If Lewis does leave, he really will need a wing that can shoot, as this seems to be his offensive process, shooting the 3 which is not the talent he recruited to MU this year.  I am confused about that.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #30752 on: January 03, 2022, 07:07:50 AM »
Shaka needs to recruit tough, dominant type players. You simply can't compete in the BR with skinny talented young kids.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #30753 on: January 03, 2022, 09:04:34 AM »
Fan recruiting analysis cracks me up.

“We need two to three studs next year”

“We simply need better players who can shoot”

“We need really tall, really talented and really tough players next year”

“We need a couple future NBA players”

That is some mind blowing insight. Hopefully Shaka is reading Scoop.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #30754 on: January 03, 2022, 10:01:18 AM »
Fan recruiting analysis cracks me up.

“We need two to three studs next year”

“We simply need better players who can shoot”

“We need really tall, really talented and really tough players next year”

“We need a couple future NBA players”

That is some mind blowing insight. Hopefully Shaka is reading Scoop.

You're right because we need better talent to compete in the BE.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #30755 on: January 03, 2022, 09:04:46 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YPEJZICCaE

Sean Jones will help next year.  #5 in blue. 
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #30756 on: January 03, 2022, 09:25:26 PM »
You simply can't compete in the BR with skinny talented young kids.

Sad, but true.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #30757 on: January 03, 2022, 11:41:06 PM »
You will see it again against Providence, physically bigger all over the place.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #30758 on: January 04, 2022, 06:40:25 AM »
You will see it again against Providence, physically bigger all over the place.

Shaka is building his team with underclassman.  He made no bones about it when he interviewed that he wanted to build this way instead of loading up on 4 or 5 grad transfers and he was hired.  If you don't like it, you don't like it.  In a couple years this freshman class will be more physically mature, but right now they are playing against upperclass dominated programs.  Almost every one of Providence's contributors are 22-23 year old players.  Horchler turned 24 on New Year's.  It is what it is.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #30759 on: January 04, 2022, 08:16:11 AM »
Shaka is building his team with underclassman.  He made no bones about it when he interviewed that he wanted to build this way instead of loading up on 4 or 5 grad transfers and he was hired.  If you don't like it, you don't like it.  In a couple years this freshman class will be more physically mature, but right now they are playing against upperclass dominated programs.  Almost every one of Providence's contributors are 22-23 year old players.  Horchler turned 24 on New Year's.  It is what it is.

And we’re still going to grind out a win tonight and finish 10-10 in the Big East.  Go MU!

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #30760 on: January 04, 2022, 09:32:54 AM »

This is a concept I don't think many people are catching on to because of the Covid memory hole.

Upperclassmen have gone from the outlier 23 year-old on a team to that being typical across the top level contributors. Dudes are old for "college" basketball. Especially against kids who were playing high school basketball 10 months ago.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30761 on: January 04, 2022, 09:33:10 AM »

This. Some Scoopers act as if Shaka has broken promises he made ... when actually the opposite is true.

And we’re still going to grind out a win tonight and finish 10-10 in the Big East.  Go MU!

I like this, SM, and it's certainly very possible. We Are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #30762 on: January 04, 2022, 09:43:29 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YPEJZICCaE

Sean Jones will help next year.  #5 in blue.

Agreed, I like how low to the ground he plays, great balance. Very quick laterally. At minimum I think he could see 8-12 minutes as a frosh just dogging the opposing PGs full court. Seems like a big +++ on the fit side of things, rankings be damned. Exactly the kind of player I want to see Shaka bring in on an annual basis.

Phuket MU Fan

• Starter
« Reply #30763 on: January 04, 2022, 09:45:23 AM »

Great post. This is the reality of the situation.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #30764 on: January 04, 2022, 10:01:44 AM »

In a couple years, this freshman class (eligibility wise) is much more likely to be dispersed across the country at other D1 programs and/or playing professionally, than the lionshare of them being physically mature studs playing for Shaka.  Its the reality of CBB today, and why Shaka's year 1 philosophy kind of sucked and is blowing up in his face.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #30765 on: January 04, 2022, 10:14:32 AM »
In a couple years, this freshman class (eligibility wise) is much more likely to be dispersed across the country at other D1 programs and/or playing professionally, than the lionshare of them being physically mature studs playing for Shaka.  Its the reality of CBB today, and why Shaka's year 1 philosophy kind of sucked and is blowing up in his face.

Nobody knows if his year 1 philosophy is going to work.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30766 on: January 04, 2022, 10:14:44 AM »

I don't think you can say it's blowing up in his face until your prediction actually comes true. My guess is that of the 9 "freshmen" at least 6 come back next season probably 7.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #30767 on: January 04, 2022, 10:19:45 AM »
I don't think you can say it's blowing up in his face until your prediction actually comes true. My guess is that of the 9 "freshmen" at least 6 come back next season probably 7.

:-\

Which 2 aren't enjoying MU? Gotta get the student body chanting their names
Maigh Eo for Sam

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #30768 on: January 04, 2022, 10:20:47 AM »
Nobody knows if his year 1 philosophy is going to work.

I would agree.  Certainly isn't leading to victories on the court in year 1. 

I am not really referring to next season.  I think 6-7 returners of the 9 sounds about right for next season. I don't even think retaining 65-75% of your freshman class from year 1 to year 2 would be considered a positive, though.  I am really talking about seasons 3-4 when these guys would be upperclassmen, and theoretically leading this team as the post I responded to was eluding.  Chances that 6 or 7 of the 9 current "freshman" are still around by then is remote with open transfers.   

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30769 on: January 04, 2022, 10:38:06 AM »
I would agree.  Certainly isn't leading to victories on the court in year 1. 

I am not really referring to next season.  I think 6-7 returners of the 9 sounds about right for next season. I don't even think retaining 65-75% of your freshman class from year 1 to year 2 would be considered a positive, though.  I am really talking about seasons 3-4 when these guys would be upperclassmen, and theoretically leading this team as the post I responded to was eluding.  Chances that 6 or 7 of the 9 current "freshman" are still around by then is remote with open transfers.

When your "freshmen" class is actually two classes and contains 9 players and there are instant transfers then 65-75% is absolutely positive, especially if everyone else is only keeping 40-65% of theirs. I think 4-6 of the 9 will be here in two years. A starting lineup of guys who have played together for 3+ years can be a very powerful thing.
TAMU

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #30770 on: January 04, 2022, 10:43:56 AM »

You sure are pretty unhinged with pessimism.  The above is pure speculation.  We are damn near 3-0 in the Big East.  I suspect Shaka has very good rapport with the players on the roster and that all of them, if not 10 of 11 are bought in and here for the long haul. 

Did you really think this MU team would be a Top 3 or 4 team in the Big East and lock for the NCAA?  If you did, your frustration is solely on you as you had unrealistic expectations.  The best teams are teams that have cohesion and talented guys who play together/stay together for 4 years.  Trying to build a consistent winner off of just the grad transfer/transfer market every year is not a sustainable model, nor a fun program to follow IMO.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #30771 on: January 04, 2022, 10:54:55 AM »
You sure are pretty unhinged with pessimism.  The above is pure speculation.  We are damn near 3-0 in the Big East.  I suspect Shaka has very good rapport with the players on the roster and that all of them, if not 10 of 11 are bought in and here for the long haul. 

Did you really think this MU team would be a Top 3 or 4 team in the Big East and lock for the NCAA?  If you did, your frustration is solely on you as you had unrealistic expectations.  The best teams are teams that have cohesion and talented guys who play together/stay together for 4 years.  Trying to build a consistent winner off of just the grad transfer/transfer market every year is not a sustainable model, nor a fun program to follow IMO.
Hi boss, I damn near sold those 3 accounts. I didn’t, however. Lost out to Badger-guy. But, I still get a bonus, right?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30772 on: January 04, 2022, 11:08:26 AM »
We are damn near 3-0 in the Big East.

Ners, I appreciate the optimism, but if someone used this line on Wojo, you would have gone medieval on them.
TAMU

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #30773 on: January 04, 2022, 11:14:56 AM »

Lol, damn near 3-0, yet we're 0-3?  Pass the joint, please.  Could we have won the X and Creighton games?  Yeah, sure.  But they didn't.  Because they failed to execute multiple times when it mattered. 

No, I didn't think this team would be a top 3-4 team in the BE.  I thought they would suck.  And they do.  I was encouraged with the results in Charleston and regained some hope for this season, but its been really ugly since. 

I have repeatedly said I like Shaka and I think he'll get there.  Definitely not this season, probably not next season.  It'll happen.  I think he's a good coach.  I did, however, have higher hopes for Shaka in year 1 after he was hired, and I am discouraged by this roster. 

I also think this overarching philosophy peddled here constantly that Shaka is building this great culture, all these guys have bought in and they're all just going to ignore the open transfer market and sing Kumbaya for 4 seasons is a bunch of BS.  He built a roster that can't compete against high major teams, and is highly reliant on retaining the lionshare of these young players for 3-4 seasons in a new environment in cbb that makes that statistically improbable.  A large share of this "culture" he building is high likely to be out the door in 24 months.  Build a roster to win each season.  He got too cute, IMO. 

Nearly everything here speculating about the future is....well....speculation.  Just like your comical statement that 10 or 11 of these guys are here for the "long haul".  Again, pass the joint, bruh.  Take a look around the NCAA - very few guys are going to be staying in one place for 4 seasons moving forward. 

I've largely been a very optimistic fan and poster over the years.  I am sick of sucking balls.  Its gotten old.  I expect better.  I didn't expect a team ranked in the top 25 this year, but I did expect Shaka to build a team that could compete in the BE.  This one can't.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30774 on: January 04, 2022, 11:27:44 AM »
I also think this overarching philosophy peddled here constantly that Shaka is building this great culture, all these guys have bought in and they're all just going to ignore the open transfer market and sing Kumbaya for 4 seasons is a bunch of BS.

I mean, it's not BS, it's clearly what he's doing (unless his talent evaluation is spectacularly bad). Will it work? We will see.
TAMU