Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8755649 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: Recruiting as of 4/15/20
« Reply #26050 on: May 09, 2020, 09:08:08 PM »
Imagine all the resources UWM is wasting on recruiting a kid they probably won't get.

Crystal ball is 100% Duke
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #26051 on: May 09, 2020, 09:23:13 PM »
That was a different Notre Dame College Prep.  Massachusetts rather than Illinois

The one in Illinois is real high school, a “college prep” one at that. The one Lazar went to was a diploma mill that got guys eligible to play in college.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #26052 on: May 09, 2020, 09:56:49 PM »
The one in Illinois is real high school, a “college prep” one at that. The one Lazar went to was a diploma mill that got guys eligible to play in college.

I'm old enough to remember playing against plain old Notre Dame High School.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #26053 on: May 09, 2020, 10:21:56 PM »
Goal is National Championship

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #26054 on: May 10, 2020, 10:41:35 AM »
Free BeeJay 2020, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #26055 on: May 10, 2020, 10:57:56 AM »
Hiroshima can happen. And the devastation would be absolute.

Death on call

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #26056 on: May 10, 2020, 02:06:25 PM »
I'm old enough to remember playing against plain old Notre Dame High School.

Me too.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #26057 on: May 10, 2020, 04:20:34 PM »
Couldn't we hire Patrick Baldwin, Sr.?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #26058 on: May 10, 2020, 04:33:40 PM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #26059 on: May 10, 2020, 04:38:47 PM »
Poor Herman...the dream is officially dead!

Varlas Nikos
@nikosvarlas
·
1h
Alex Antetokounmpo intends to skip NCAA and turn pro in Europe, while he prepares for the NBA draft
I had a feeling something like this was bound to happen. Alex played limited AAU ball the last two years and wasn't participating in the recruiting process much.  He also got into some issues at the end of the season this year, chasing after refs and things, so any school who was potentially interested probably cooled on him. Probably he is better off going back to Greece and being coddled in a lower level Euro league for a few years . Then  he can copy his two other brothers who both used their last name to get various forms of NBA contracts .   
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26060 on: May 10, 2020, 04:40:31 PM »
I had a feeling something like this was bound to happen. Alex played limited AAU ball the last two years and wasn't participating in the recruiting process much.  He also got into some issues at the end of the season this year, chasing after refs and things, so any school who was potentially interested probably cooled on him. Probably he is better off going back to Greece and being coddled in a lower level Euro league for a few years . Then  he can copy his two other brothers who both used their last name to get various forms of NBA contracts .

Hell no. MU needs him.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #26061 on: May 10, 2020, 07:37:35 PM »
Cooled on him  ;D

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #26062 on: May 11, 2020, 07:06:47 AM »
Then  he can copy his two other brothers who both used their last name to get various forms of NBA contracts .

Surely you don’t mean Thanasis, he of back to back selections to the Greek League ASG while averaging 5 points a game

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26063 on: May 11, 2020, 07:58:01 AM »
LOL and yet, you seemingly hate the political party that promotes capitalism. Administrators and Coaches are maximizing their earning potential when they take new jobs etc, yet you can't stand them. Dude, you're all over the place, pick a lane and stick to it.

College athletes can "maximize their earning potential" after they graduate and get jobs(or play pro or whatever) and do the things the rest of us do to achieve that, right??

Why do you hate freedom, capitalism and personal choice?

Why are you politicizing one of the few Scoop threads that has no politics?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #26064 on: May 11, 2020, 10:47:19 AM »
LOL and yet, you seemingly hate the political party that promotes capitalism. Administrators and Coaches are maximizing their earning potential when they take new jobs etc, yet you can't stand them. Dude, you're all over the place, pick a lane and stick to it.

College athletes can "maximize their earning potential" after they graduate and get jobs(or play pro or whatever) and do the things the rest of us do to achieve that, right??
I miss the stalk social media followers guru

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #26065 on: May 11, 2020, 01:32:14 PM »
Kerwin Walton signed with UNC.  UNC has now signed up 3 guards and a long distance shooting wing the 2020 class. Caleb Love, RJ Davis , Kerwin Walton and Puff Johnson. In addition there are several veteran guards like Leaky Black on the UNC roster. Minutes will be hard to come by.

This signing could possibly be helpful to MU. RJ Davis father is very vocal Lavar Ball type. He made it very clear on the recruiting trail that he wanted RJ going to a place where he would play immediately. If things don't work out at UNC in year one,  playing time wise, for RJ, it is very possible he would enter the portal. MU would be well positioned to pick him up. Everything I heard locally was that the father was very keen on Wojo's offer to basically pass the baton from Markus to RJ. The father was a very high scoring guard at the D2 level and basically programmed RJ to be a scoring machine from a young age.   

Hopefully things work out for RJ, however if they don't MU will be right there with open arms.

https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina/Article/UNC-basketball-Kerwin-Walton-Signs--146912753/
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #26066 on: May 11, 2020, 01:48:16 PM »
Kerwin Walton signed with UNC.  UNC has now signed up 3 guards and a long distance shooting wing the 2020 class. Caleb Love, RJ Davis , Kerwin Walton and Puff Johnson. In addition there are several veteran guards like Leaky Black on the UNC roster. Minutes will be hard to come by.

This signing could possibly be helpful to MU. RJ Davis father is very vocal Lavar Ball type. He made it very clear on the recruiting trail that he wanted RJ going to a place where he would play immediately. If things don't work out at UNC in year one,  playing time wise, for RJ, it is very possible he would enter the portal. MU would be well positioned to pick him up. Everything I heard locally was that the father was very keen on Wojo's offer to basically pass the baton from Markus to RJ. The father was a very high scoring guard at the D2 level and basically programmed RJ to be a scoring machine from a young age.   

Hopefully things work out for RJ, however if they don't MU will be right there with open arms.

https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina/Article/UNC-basketball-Kerwin-Walton-Signs--146912753/
::)

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #26067 on: May 11, 2020, 02:48:14 PM »

I've mentioned this before, but there is some value in monitoring the situation from a distance while moving on to other things.

Caleb Love came to the realization that his long term basketball future is at point guard. He worked hard at improving his game where he can affect the game in a wide variety of ways. (Similar to Roach's game) and he really had a breakout summer before his Senior year and throughout his Senior year)

Caleb Love's first choice was Duke. When Duke received a commitment from Jeremy Roach, Love considered other schools, including Duke who was still recruiting him. He chose UNC. Roach's commitment was s factor to Duke was a factor in Love choosing elsewhere. (His dad is a UNC fan but that wasn't the deciding factor) Love was a former earlier MU target. But he was someone that had been interested in some of the highest profile named schools.

Later RJ Davis committed to UNC after Love. He was told that he and Love would play together a lot. So we'll see how that all works out. UNC is getting several very good players.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 02:50:25 PM by shoothoops »

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #26068 on: May 11, 2020, 05:20:56 PM »
I've mentioned this before, but there is some value in monitoring the situation from a distance while moving on to other things.

Caleb Love came to the realization that his long term basketball future is at point guard. He worked hard at improving his game where he can affect the game in a wide variety of ways. (Similar to Roach's game) and he really had a breakout summer before his Senior year and throughout his Senior year)

Caleb Love's first choice was Duke. When Duke received a commitment from Jeremy Roach, Love considered other schools, including Duke who was still recruiting him. He chose UNC. Roach's commitment was s factor to Duke was a factor in Love choosing elsewhere. (His dad is a UNC fan but that wasn't the deciding factor) Love was a former earlier MU target. But he was someone that had been interested in some of the highest profile named schools.

Later RJ Davis committed to UNC after Love. He was told that he and Love would play together a lot. So we'll see how that all works out. UNC is getting several very good players.

And remember Marquette’s Preferred Walk On Luke Fizulich played on RJ Davis team Stepinac.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #26069 on: May 11, 2020, 06:33:10 PM »
Does anyone else find it kind of pathetic to be hoping that a player fails at North Carolina, so we can get him on the rebound?

Can't MU recruit well enough to make it without other team's castoffs?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #26070 on: May 11, 2020, 07:12:16 PM »
Does anyone else find it kind of pathetic to be hoping that a player fails at North Carolina, so we can get him on the rebound?

Yes extremely

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #26071 on: May 11, 2020, 07:14:30 PM »
I think hoping that a kid is unhappy enough to transfer from his school before he has even officially arrived on campus suggests "questionable" morality.  I think the underlying point of "don't burn bridges" is valid; and I think DJ Carton would agree.

Further, I see no reason to mention Davis again in this thread unless he becomes a recruiting target again, but Herman seems to always operate with a more liberal set of who qualifies as a target.  Jeenathan Williams and his 103 DRtg last year agree.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #26072 on: May 11, 2020, 08:09:32 PM »
I can't speak for others, but I certainly wouldn't wish failure upon any recruit anywhere. I don't think anyone is doing that, at least, I'd hope not. And,  I don't believe MU needs to play second fiddle to anyone in recruiting. I also don't believe anyone needs to be quickly dismissive of any recruit just because MU might not have been his first choice or not a choice at all.

Caleb Love and RJ Davis are both great players. They happen to play a similar position, and, are both in the same class. UNC will try to play them together some, split some time etc...it will be interesting to see what works and what doesn't. But if one of them ever left, it won't be because he isn't a great player or some leftovers.

Things happen, as mentioned, former MU target Love favored Duke until Roach committed there. He wants to have the ball in his hands a lot, run the point, etc...as opposed to playing off of the ball more etc...which he did more of in the past. Davis committed to UNC knowing Love was already committed, based on being sold they would be playing together a lot and that UNC wants two point guards.

The topic has come up briefly recently because MU's new preferred walk on was a high school teammate of Davis. And that makes sense. I don't think anyone is making too big a deal about it. MU will be fine.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #26073 on: May 11, 2020, 09:59:35 PM »

Good question. Hope so.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 10:05:35 PM by Lennys Tap »

Ben Golds Five

• Starter
« Reply #26074 on: May 11, 2020, 10:29:56 PM »
Mos Def! He gone, move on. #nextUP