'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by JTJ3
[Today at 04:54:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:49:54 PM]

Banquet by rocky_warrior
[Today at 04:25:47 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 04:10:23 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8464114 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 6/15/19
« Reply #18750 on: July 05, 2019, 08:45:35 AM »
Marginally at best. And no better than they would be at most places.

You might be right, or not. There's no way to know.

I think the NBA loves having college basketball as a minor league system, even if the prospects are only there for a year or 2.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #18751 on: July 05, 2019, 10:51:44 AM »

I think the NBA loves having college basketball as a minor league system, even if the prospects are only there for a year or 2.
I would think practicing everyday with other NBA future players improves you more than practicing with non NBA talent.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18752 on: July 05, 2019, 01:10:37 PM »

No way to know, but here's something I'm pretty sure of. Every guy from Duke who has made it to the NBA in the last 10 years would have also made it if he would have come to Marquette. None of the guys from Marquette who made it to the NBA in the last 10 years other than Henry (Wesley, Lazar, Vander, Buycks, DJO, Jamil, JFB and Jae) were even looked at by Duke. I don't think any of them would have played a minute in the NBA had they walked on for coach K.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18753 on: July 05, 2019, 02:00:26 PM »
No way to know, but here's something I'm pretty sure of. Every guy from Duke who has made it to the NBA in the last 10 years would have also made it if he would have come to Marquette. None of the guys from Marquette who made it to the NBA in the last 10 years other than Henry (Wesley, Lazar, Vander, Buycks, DJO, Jamil, JFB and Jae) were even looked at by Duke. I don't think any of them would have played a minute in the NBA had they walked on for coach K.

Lol.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #18754 on: July 05, 2019, 04:18:13 PM »

What does this even mean?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18755 on: July 05, 2019, 05:24:39 PM »

Buzz is better than K?  I was a Buzz fan, bit that seems like a stretch.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #18756 on: July 05, 2019, 06:28:39 PM »
I think what he meant was if those guys went to Duke as walk ons they wouldn't have played......and not playing obviously impacts NBA prospects.

I think we can all agree that no school is the perfect fit for every player.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18757 on: July 05, 2019, 06:33:25 PM »
I think what he meant was if those guys went to Duke as walk ons they wouldn't have played......and not playing obviously impacts NBA prospects.

The point was dumb.

So because K doesn’t look at Jucos it means that if Jae, DJO, JFB, etc. would’ve walked on and K would’ve never even looked at them?

LOL!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18758 on: July 05, 2019, 06:38:22 PM »
Also LOL at the idea that Buzz turned Wes into the pro that he became. Buzz developed Wes so much in his one season as head coach with Wes that Wes went undrafted. So yeah Wes’s NBA success is totally all due to Buzz!

I forgot Buzz was hired by the Jazz in 2009.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18759 on: July 05, 2019, 06:49:49 PM »
I would think practicing everyday with other NBA future players improves you more than practicing with non NBA talent.

Agreed. I said nothing different.

Well, you don't know that, you assume it. And I think I mostly agree, but maybe not one of the Plumlees, maybe not the younger Curry, and perhaps another one or two.

I do have to agree with a few fellow Scoopers that it's absurd to assume that all of those guys would have had to walk on at Duke. For example, Vander was a 5-star; if he had indicated he wanted to go to Duke, K wouldn't even have considered him?

And even if most couldn't have gone to Duke because they were Jucos, they could have gone to other basketball factories. Wasn't Kentucky supposedly interested in Jimmy? If he had gone there for 3 years and excelled, he couldn't have made it to the NBA?

We agree about a lot of basketball stuff, Lenny, but I think you're trying a little too hard here.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #18760 on: July 05, 2019, 06:58:01 PM »
Vander was a borderline 4/5 star........Duke showed no interest in him that I'm aware of.......

If Duke likes a kid they will recruit him....since they have a good chance at getting virtually anyone they go after.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #18761 on: July 05, 2019, 07:02:11 PM »
Also LOL at the idea that Buzz turned Wes into the pro that he became. Buzz developed Wes so much in his one season as head coach with Wes that Wes went undrafted. So yeah Wes’s NBA success is totally all due to Buzz!

Some fun reading for the Holiday weekend. The more things change the more they stay the same.....
https://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/topic/34770-new-orleans-coach-quits/
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18762 on: July 05, 2019, 07:05:00 PM »
Vander was a borderline 4/5 star........Duke showed no interest in him that I'm aware of.......

If Duke likes a kid they will recruit him....since they have a good chance at getting virtually anyone they go after.

So he's not the kind of player Duke can go after? If he had let "his people" know that his lifelong ambition was to go to Duke, K's peeps wouldn't even have checked him out?

Look, this is a silly debate, and I'm not chicos so I'm not gonna argue for the sake of arguing. If folks disagree with me, that's cool.

Bottom line, 5-stars go to Duke knowing they'll get good coaching, excellent exposure, and a chance to practice and play with other 5-star recruits. That's the attraction, and saying it merely makes me Captain Obvious.

Any time any school (even most bluebloods) beats out Duke for a player, it's a major upset. I don't think anybody has suggested anything different.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #18763 on: July 05, 2019, 07:12:03 PM »
Duke was well aware of Vander and didn't offer him......that's all I know.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18764 on: July 05, 2019, 07:39:15 PM »
Duke was well aware of Vander and didn't offer him......that's all I know.

I totally respect that. Thanks for the info.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #18765 on: July 05, 2019, 07:43:41 PM »

Bottom line, 5-stars go to Duke knowing they'll get good coaching, excellent exposure, and a chance to practice and play with other 5-star recruits. That's the attraction, and saying it merely makes me Captain Obvious.

Any time any school (even most bluebloods) beats out Duke for a player, it's a major upset. I don't think anybody has suggested anything different.

I for one agree with Captain Obvious.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #18766 on: July 05, 2019, 08:34:15 PM »
Marginally at best. And no better than they would be at most places.
Then you don't understand.
Goal is National Championship

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18767 on: July 05, 2019, 09:32:14 PM »
Buzz is better than K?  I was a Buzz fan, bit that seems like a stretch.

Of course not. Could have gone back a few more years and included Novak and Diener/Crean. The point is that guys who go to MU except for rare exceptions enter as long shots to make the league and need a lot of development. And a lot of guys arrive at Duke who would be NBA lottery picks coming out of high school if the NBA allowed it. When I hear someone say Zion W, Barrett or Reddish is going to Duke so that they can be developed for the NBA I think it's funny.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18768 on: July 05, 2019, 09:36:51 PM »

Ask Wes what Buzz did for his game. Oh wait, I forgot, why would you ask Wes? You know better than him. Carry on.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18769 on: July 05, 2019, 09:45:19 PM »

So because K doesn’t look at Jucos it means that if Jae, DJO, JFB, etc. would’ve walked on and K would’ve never even looked at them?

If I had been saying what you opined my post would have been dumb. Because you didn't understand/totally misinterpreted a straightforward post your post is the dumb one

LOL!

muguru

• All American
« Reply #18770 on: July 05, 2019, 09:46:46 PM »
Of course not. Could have gone back a few more years and included Novak and Diener/Crean. The point is that guys who go to MU except for rare exceptions enter as long shots to make the league and need a lot of development. And a lot of guys arrive at Duke who would be NBA lottery picks coming out of high school if the NBA allowed it. When I hear someone say Zion W, Barrett or Reddish is going to Duke so that they can be developed for the NBA I think it's funny.

Isn't it a bit ironic that the two previous Coaches developed guys into NBA players that wouldn't have been otherwise?? To this point, Wojo doesn't have that on his resume...and for those that want to say Henry...wrong. Henry was going to be a pro regardless.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18771 on: July 05, 2019, 09:46:53 PM »

Exactly.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18772 on: July 05, 2019, 10:10:43 PM »
Ask Wes what Buzz did for his game. Oh wait, I forgot, why would you ask Wes? You know better than him. Carry on.

Yeah, once again, Buzz did so much for Wes in terms of how he was seen in the NBA that Wes was a first ro...err, a second rou...err, wait a minute, Wes was undrafted?  Weird.  Lenny had me thinking he was a top 5 pick here for a minute?

You have this post directly following...

You think it's funny that Zion, Barrett, or Reddish went to Duke to develop for the NBA, yet in the same timeframe you think Buzz turned Wes (who went undrafted, as you seem to continue to forget) into a decade long NBA player...

LOL!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18773 on: July 05, 2019, 10:27:13 PM »
If I had been saying what you opined my post would have been dumb. Because you didn't understand/totally misinterpreted a straightforward post your post is the dumb one

LOL!

Yeah I agree, your post was very straight forward.  It was very, very stupid.  You're pretending like Jae, DJO, and Jimmy were some talentless players who K never would've ever considered if they weren't JUCOs.  Very obvious to anyone who's ever watched one bit of basketball that wasn't the case at all.

You also seem to forget that Duke wasn't known as a one and done factory like it is today until their most recent national title.  Guys like Miles and Marshall Plumlee were ranked right around where guys like Wesley Matthews were ranked, and below what Vander was ranked, so pretending Buzz could take guys like Wes and develop them into NBA players (hilarious) but K only considered sure fire future NBA players and never helped any players make it to the NBA is astronomically stupid, which is why I treated your post as such.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18774 on: July 05, 2019, 10:54:36 PM »
When I hear someone say Zion W, Barrett or Reddish is going to Duke so that they can be developed for the NBA I think it's funny.

Can't speak for others, but I am not saying they go to Duke expressly so they can be "developed" for the NBA. I AM saying that playing at a basketball factory like Duke DOES help prepare players for some of the same things they'll face in the NBA: Huge pressure situations in a championship-pursuit environment, incredibly high expectations, top competition at practice every day, jealous players wanting what you have, etc.

Isn't it a bit ironic that the two previous Coaches developed guys into NBA players that wouldn't have been otherwise?? To this point, Wojo doesn't have that on his resume...and for those that want to say Henry...wrong. Henry was going to be a pro regardless.

It's not even a little ironic.