[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8458331 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 6/15/19
« Reply #18600 on: June 28, 2019, 10:14:53 PM »
Apple still does not equal an orange again.

You posted one ranking from one site of a JUNIOR.  Meaningless considering not a top 25 to 30 guy and his age.  Meaningless.

The list you just wanted to anoint as not meaningless was RSCI (many rating services) and final senior rankings. 

Apple does not equal an Orange.

This is right out of your "Ways to Argue Dishonestly" playbook.

"Apple still does not equal an orange again" and "Apple does equal an orange" are both clumsily constructed and redundant. Regardless, it is a fact that an apple is not an orange - a fact which nobody would ever deny but is beside the point.

Here are the facts germane to the discussion: we have offered a player who has just completed his junior year. A reputable scouting service (247) rates him a 3 star, #190 in his class. (The only other familiar service rating I've found is Rivals - 3 star, #180 there). Is this information infallible or immutable? Of course not - never said it was. Will we have better, more complete information on this kid 10 months from now? Of course. And we'll have an even better idea about him after, say, his sophomore year. But, and this is the big but, just because better and more complete information will be available down the road  doesn't make a snapshot of where he is today "meaningless". To people who are true fans of the program this stuff is actually very meaningful.

One last thing. If this kid were a 4 star and ranked #40 at 247 and Rivals the last thing you would be doing is coming on here and chastising the scooper who reported the information for a meaningless post. Hypocrisy, thy name is Chico.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #18601 on: June 28, 2019, 10:39:42 PM »
Or maybe our coaching staff likes the player and doesn't care what Rivals has him rated......

I certainly hope our staff doesn't look at a kid and say " Man he looks good......really like his potential.....what is he rated by Rivals?" 

Ok never mind......we aren't offering.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18602 on: June 28, 2019, 10:58:53 PM »
Or maybe our coaching staff likes the player and doesn't care what Rivals has him rated......

I certainly hope our staff doesn't look at a kid and say " Man he looks good......really like his potential.....what is he rated by Rivals?" 

Mark

Again, rating aren't the end all be all - never said they were. Only that they're not "meaningless". Just like a kid's height, weight, position, competition and other offers are not meaningless. If none of this stuff means anything WTF are we doing here? Nothing worth discussing.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #18603 on: June 28, 2019, 11:19:05 PM »

Mark

Again, rating aren't the end all be all - never said they were. Only that they're not "meaningless". Just like a kid's height, weight, position, competition and other offers are not meaningless. If none of this stuff means anything WTF are we doing here? Nothing worth discussing.
The high school ratings systems are for the most part a function of the enthusiasm coaches have for certain kids.  The guys who do ratings have off the record relationships with coaches and get feedback. I have found this to be true across many different sports. Also remember the coaches are very susceptible to group think .  The recent recruiting rules changes are very positive in my view, in that they bring the high school team back into the mix. Coaches can get one view point on a kid in AAU  which is skills related. Now they they can get another view on a kid in terms of how they play in a  more structured high school setting  .  The guys who do ratings will have a little more to put into their evaluation mix.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #18604 on: June 29, 2019, 01:17:25 AM »
We have plenty of scholarships  and can pursue both and yes Justin is a priority in that he is in active dialogue with us.

I have been following RJ for some time and the question mark was always size. I think that is no longer an issue and he is starting to take off. As long as no blue blood get in the mix with real offers , our chances with this kid are as good as any one .

Poly was originally scheduled to play at Philly Live. but had to pull out because Maryland Public Schools haven't been approved to play by their high school association.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 08:48:03 AM by TedBaxter »
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #18605 on: June 29, 2019, 09:09:03 AM »
            ---Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #18606 on: June 29, 2019, 10:13:37 AM »
This is right out of your "Ways to Argue Dishonestly" playbook.

"Apple still does not equal an orange again" and "Apple does equal an orange" are both clumsily constructed and redundant. Regardless, it is a fact that an apple is not an orange - a fact which nobody would ever deny but is beside the point.

Here are the facts germane to the discussion: we have offered a player who has just completed his junior year. A reputable scouting service (247) rates him a 3 star, #190 in his class. (The only other familiar service rating I've found is Rivals - 3 star, #180 there). Is this information infallible or immutable? Of course not - never said it was. Will we have better, more complete information on this kid 10 months from now? Of course. And we'll have an even better idea about him after, say, his sophomore year. But, and this is the big but, just because better and more complete information will be available down the road  doesn't make a snapshot of where he is today "meaningless". To people who are true fans of the program this stuff is actually very meaningful.

One last thing. If this kid were a 4 star and ranked #40 at 247 and Rivals the last thing you would be doing is coming on here and chastising the scooper who reported the information for a meaningless post. Hypocrisy, thy name is Chico.

Ah yes, the true fan card.  You are a true fan, and I am not.  Classic.

You, of course, went with the worst of the two ratings because that’s what you do with Wojo when you don’t have your Mighty Mouse save Buzz cape on defending him in all posts.  My point stands, a rating of a kid junior year outside the top guys is meaningless.  Kids blow up, kids fall off and all kinds of things happen.  A big difference between junior and senior year, beside the fact that a lot of the guys doing these ratings are hacks.

Finally, since your last paragraph called me out...show some evidence.  Search function here, pretty simple to use.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18607 on: June 29, 2019, 10:26:14 AM »

Finally, since your last paragraph called me out...show some evidence.  Search function here, pretty simple to use.

WTF???? You want me to search every thread in Scoop history to prove a negative? If you have called out other posters for posting "meaningless" information about highly rated MU recruits it's up to you to prove it. Possible you did it in the Buzz era, I suppose, but I'm willing to bet never when Crean or Wojo was coaching. Show some evidence. Use your search function.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #18608 on: June 29, 2019, 11:00:21 AM »
The recent recruiting rules changes are very positive in my view, in that they bring the high school team back into the mix. Coaches can get one view point on a kid in AAU  which is skills related. Now they they can get another view on a kid in terms of how they play in a  more structured high school setting  .  The guys who do ratings will have a little more to put into their evaluation mix.

Are you talking about the removal of some 'AAU' evaluation periods and adding of new 'non-aau' periods? The new system excludes a ton of kids from the new non-"AAU" evaluation periods and there aren't HS teams that play... rather, it's thrown-together teams of invite-only players.

I think AAU is actually MORE structured than these showcases. I enjoyed the MN showcase, but definitely a far less structured setting than the 'normal' historical evaluation periods.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #18609 on: June 29, 2019, 11:24:19 AM »
Are you talking about the removal of some 'AAU' evaluation periods and adding of new 'non-aau' periods? The new system excludes a ton of kids from the new non-"AAU" evaluation periods and there aren't HS teams that play... rather, it's thrown-together teams of invite-only players.

I think AAU is actually MORE structured than these showcases. I enjoyed the MN showcase, but definitely a far less structured setting than the 'normal' historical evaluation periods.
I think the high school settings new some time to mature. This is the first year and they need to get kinks out.

Also much more relevant in certain areas . For example in New York our Catholic Schools event is well received . The Philly Live 2 has a ton of good quality teams . Coaches like to see how kids do in team settings , which is what I refer to as structured. These events give the coaches the opportunity to see many high school teams at one time which is very hard to do otherwise .  Also high school coaches are involved with kids on a daily basis and this modality enables their feedback as well.

I think both circuits have a proper role in evaluation .
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18610 on: June 29, 2019, 11:30:44 AM »
I didn't see this posted elsewhere, apologies if it was:

https://twitter.com/trigonis30/status/1144304824755740672

Marquette, San Diego State, UC-Santa Barbara, Nevada and Fresno State among schools showing interest for high-scoring 6-2 2020 CG Keith Dinwiddie
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #18611 on: June 29, 2019, 11:33:18 AM »
I think the high school settings new some time to mature. This is the first year and they need to get kinks out.

Also much more relevant in certain areas . For example in New York our Catholic Schools event is well received . The Philly Live 2 has a ton of good quality teams . Coaches like to see how kids do in team settings , which is what I refer to as structured. These events give the coaches the opportunity to see many high school teams at one time which is very hard to do otherwise .  Also high school coaches are involved with kids on a daily basis and this modality enables their feedback as well.

I think both circuits have a proper role in evaluation .

All fair points and I agree. Looks like Philly Live 2 had a setup of school teams... in Minnesota, we had basically an all-star showcase. Top kids got invites and were assigned to random teams... so, you had a bunch of 'teams' of guys that don't normally play together...

Will be interesting to see how this might change here and other places in the future. Definitely agree - from an evaluation standpoint - it's very helpful to see kids in multiple settings (travel ball, school, USA basketball, all-star events, etc)... all have value.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #18612 on: June 29, 2019, 12:53:32 PM »
WTF???? You want me to search every thread in Scoop history to prove a negative? If you have called out other posters for posting "meaningless" information about highly rated MU recruits it's up to you to prove it. Possible you did it in the Buzz era, I suppose, but I'm willing to bet never when Crean or Wojo was coaching. Show some evidence. Use your search function.

That is his go to move, Lenny.  You had to see it coming.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #18613 on: June 29, 2019, 01:01:08 PM »
Marquette didn't send any coaches to the FIBA event in Greece, so I'm going to assume they think their chances of getting Suggs from the Twin Cities is a longshot at best.

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/FIBA-u19-World-Cup-College-Coaches-Maryland-Stanford-Kentucky-Xavier-Creighton-TCU-Gonzaga-133287290/
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

muguru

• All American
« Reply #18614 on: June 29, 2019, 01:14:14 PM »
NM
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 03:00:19 PM by muguru »
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #18615 on: June 29, 2019, 01:19:17 PM »
Guru your link didn't work for me.......I think you were trying to post this

https://twitter.com/coreyevans_10/status/1145031522812071936?s=21

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #18616 on: June 29, 2019, 02:45:34 PM »

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #18617 on: June 29, 2019, 02:50:47 PM »
That is his go to move, Lenny.  You had to see it coming.

When I make a charge, I happily back it up.  It isn’t hard.  Lenny, you, others make a charge and nothing to back it up. 

It isn’t proving a negative either.  All he has to do is find a thread about us recruiting a top 40 kid, which we have done many times, and me supposedly glowing about it.  The fact of the matter is i don’t typically get involved in recruiting conversations all that much historically....certainly not on a percentage basis.  When we land a kid, sure.  When we are talking about who we have offer d or might get, much less so.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

muguru

• All American
« Reply #18618 on: June 29, 2019, 02:59:53 PM »
Guru your link didn't work for me.......I think you were trying to post this

https://twitter.com/coreyevans_10/status/1145031522812071936?s=21

Yup, thanks! Sorry! Good catch on the broken link.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #18619 on: June 29, 2019, 04:19:05 PM »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #18620 on: June 29, 2019, 05:19:14 PM »

Same school as Brian Winters, hey?
Tournament at Molly , home of Brian Winters and other greats such as Kenny the Jet Anderson, whose Catholic League scoring record RJ is poised to break this year at Stepinac. This kid is the real deal . Delighted to see our guys pushing hard for RJ.
            ---Al McGuire

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #18621 on: June 29, 2019, 05:55:09 PM »
Yup, thanks! Sorry! Good catch on the broken link.

Found this from the Nova site.......he is unranked currently.......

Njoku plays his high school ball for Sanford School (DE) (which also produced Villanova forward, “Bump” Sheridan) and his AAU ball with Nike Team Final. He is currently unranked, but the odds of that remaining the case are slim. He holds offers from Temple, Providence and Marquette. Njoku helped lead Sanford School to Sanford School to a win over Imhotep Charter. He scored 23 points with 7 boards and 4 blocks in a game where he matched up with quality, Class of 2020 prospect, Elijah Taylor (16 pts and 7 rebs). Njoku scored with powerful dunks (two-handed variety as well as tomahawk, one-hand, jams), with one and two bounce dribble moves to get to the rim for lay-ups, by cleaning up around the rim and even with a three-pointer. Njoku has good size and a strong build which he uses to contribute with consistency on the glass. He has the athleticism and mobility to defend on the perimeter with some effectiveness. His offense is primarily focused around the rim at this stage but he can step out and stroke the mid-range jumper and in this game looked comfortable as he converted on 1-2 three-point attempts (making one from out top and having a left-wing attempt barely rim out). Njoku plays with a good motor and is a communicative and supportive team player.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #18622 on: June 29, 2019, 06:38:45 PM »
Found this from the Nova site.......he is unranked currently.......

Njoku plays his high school ball for Sanford School (DE) (which also produced Villanova forward, “Bump” Sheridan) and his AAU ball with Nike Team Final. He is currently unranked, but the odds of that remaining the case are slim. He holds offers from Temple, Providence and Marquette. Njoku helped lead Sanford School to Sanford School to a win over Imhotep Charter. He scored 23 points with 7 boards and 4 blocks in a game where he matched up with quality, Class of 2020 prospect, Elijah Taylor (16 pts and 7 rebs). Njoku scored with powerful dunks (two-handed variety as well as tomahawk, one-hand, jams), with one and two bounce dribble moves to get to the rim for lay-ups, by cleaning up around the rim and even with a three-pointer. Njoku has good size and a strong build which he uses to contribute with consistency on the glass. He has the athleticism and mobility to defend on the perimeter with some effectiveness. His offense is primarily focused around the rim at this stage but he can step out and stroke the mid-range jumper and in this game looked comfortable as he converted on 1-2 three-point attempts (making one from out top and having a left-wing attempt barely rim out). Njoku plays with a good motor and is a communicative and supportive team player.
Nnanna plays on the same AAU team as Niels Lane.  In recruiting one thing leads to another.
            ---Al McGuire

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #18623 on: June 29, 2019, 08:09:47 PM »

muguru

• All American
« Reply #18624 on: June 29, 2019, 08:44:34 PM »

Eugene Rapay
‏ @erapay5

Marquette HC Steve Wojciechowski has arrived, in time for @step_basketball R.J. Davis to take the floor in about a half hour. #mubb has been one of the schools that are hot on the trail for the 2020 combo guard scoring machine, who recently visited Marquette earlier this month.