[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:01:35 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by JakeBarnes
[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8338367 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: Recruiting as of 6/15/19
« Reply #18375 on: June 25, 2019, 01:14:58 AM »
BTW guru should in no way shape or form be banned. Yeah he should calm down some but people should stop baiting him.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #18376 on: June 25, 2019, 05:24:21 AM »
Is it because Madsen’s stock is rising again? I ask because I dont know.

He got an Iowa offer this past week, fwiw
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #18377 on: June 25, 2019, 05:41:17 AM »
BTW guru should in no way shape or form be banned. Yeah he should calm down some but people should stop baiting him.

Very well said.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #18378 on: June 25, 2019, 05:43:38 AM »
Is it because Madsen’s stock is rising again? I ask because I dont know.

That very well could be..it just seems telling to me that initially they had shown interest but as time went on you didn't hear anything about him and MU..like they had stopped recruiting him while MU pursued others.

Now, suddenly they have ramped it up hard for him again. That seems unusual to me in following recruiting. That's why it makes me wonder IF Wojo feels like he's not going to get his top options. Maybe not, but I think it's curious.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #18379 on: June 25, 2019, 05:44:50 AM »
Not sure why some people live and die with getting certain recruits. As some have suggested, perhaps it’s because it’s the off season and hopes were raised due to earlier offers and/or interest both ways. There are many teams out that like MU. What matters are results with the players MU does get and does have. That’s where the results need to improve at this time moving forward, considering the amount of years invested. There are plenty of good players and recruits out there with all sorts of varied ranking numbers and visibility. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #18380 on: June 25, 2019, 07:07:10 AM »
Not sure why some people live and die with getting certain recruits. As some have suggested, perhaps it’s because it’s the off season and hopes were raised due to earlier offers and/or interest both ways. There are many teams out that like MU. What matters are results with the players MU does get and does have. That’s where the results need to improve at this time moving forward, considering the amount of years invested. There are plenty of good players and recruits out there with all sorts of varied ranking numbers and visibility.

For some, the grass is always greener on the other side
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #18381 on: June 25, 2019, 07:25:39 AM »
I feel confident in saying that unless Madsen blows up in the rankings, he will be no better than the third highest ranked player in our 2020 recruiting class. I don't think it's fair to categorize him as the "top of the realistic pile"
If we land Justin Lewis and RJ Davis then I would agree with you. Time will tell where we are with those two.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18382 on: June 25, 2019, 08:49:55 AM »
If we land Justin Lewis and RJ Davis then I would agree with you. Time will tell where we are with those two.

Or if we land any two of....

DJ Steward
Lynn Greer III
AJ Hoggard
Jalen Suggs
Nimari Burnett
Jabri Abdur-Rahim
Andre Jackson
Daishen Nix
Jalen Bridges
Jamari Sibley
Dawson Garcia
Zed Key
PJ Hall
Zach Loveday
.....and so on
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #18383 on: June 25, 2019, 08:58:27 AM »
Or if we land any two of....

DJ Steward
Lynn Greer III
AJ Hoggard
Jalen Suggs
Nimari Burnett
Jabri Abdur-Rahim
Andre Jackson
Daishen Nix
Jalen Bridges
Jamari Sibley
Dawson Garcia
Zed Key
PJ Hall
Zach Loveday
.....and so on
All great candidates for sure, just don't think many if any are putting a priority on MU. Although ,we still have a meaningful chance at Jalen Bridges which would be great.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18384 on: June 25, 2019, 09:14:29 AM »
All great candidates for sure, just don't think many if any are putting a priority on MU. Although ,we still have a meaningful chance at Jalen Bridges which would be great.

Well I see several on that list who have named Marquette as finalists,  taken visits,  or said that they are planning on visiting. So unless you are secret best friends with all of them im not sure why you would think that.
TAMU

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18385 on: June 25, 2019, 09:28:39 AM »
Well I see several on that list who have named Marquette as finalists,  taken visits,  or said that they are planning on visiting. So unless you are secret best friends with all of them im not sure why you would think that.

He's been on visits with recruits before, so why wouldn't he be on visits with recruits in the near future?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #18386 on: June 25, 2019, 10:11:24 AM »
Dawson Garcia is on your list. With a Kansas and UNC offer and Kentucky on the way do you seriously think he is coming here?
                       ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18387 on: June 25, 2019, 10:24:12 AM »
Dawson Garcia is on your list. With a Kansas and UNC offer and Kentucky on the way do you seriously think he is coming here?

I seriously think there's a chance. The blue blood offers didn't change my expectations at all. He's been a high 4/5 star prospect since the rankings for his class came out. I knew from the day we started recruiting him that he was eventually going to get blue blood offers.
TAMU

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #18388 on: June 25, 2019, 10:36:41 AM »
This thread is mind-blowing sometimes.

Some people say, ad nauseam, that we need to be going after top talent and competing for recruits with blue bloods. Then the blue bloods offer these kids and scoopers bitch because we can't get them anymore.

Make up your minds.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18389 on: June 25, 2019, 10:41:31 AM »

Some people say, ad nauseam, that we need to be going after top talent and competing for recruits with blue bloods. Then the blue bloods offer these kids and scoopers bitch because we can't get them anymore.

Make up your minds.

Haha yup.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GOO

• All American
« Reply #18390 on: June 25, 2019, 10:43:48 AM »
That very well could be..it just seems telling to me that initially they had shown interest but as time went on you didn't hear anything about him and MU..like they had stopped recruiting him while MU pursued others.

Now, suddenly they have ramped it up hard for him again. That seems unusual to me in following recruiting. That's why it makes me wonder IF Wojo feels like he's not going to get his top options. Maybe not, but I think it's curious.

I wonder if loosing a shooter in Joey, makes us look harder at adding another shooter?

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #18391 on: June 25, 2019, 11:12:07 AM »

Herman i think we can all agree u have no fin clue about your first sentence or many things that u state
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #18392 on: June 25, 2019, 11:16:59 AM »

Make up your minds.
They just need a hysterical narrative......
Goal is National Championship

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #18393 on: June 25, 2019, 11:17:43 AM »

Guru every time u type u come across as a bigger idiot!!  How do u know to what level we have been recruiting Madsen over the past 2 years.  U make these blind speculations that our level of interest has been up and down,  when as far as anyone knows he could be our top priority since he was in 8th grade or a 5th level recruit that we have told he could be a preferred walkon at best.  U have no fin clue, we have no fin clue.  So stfu with ur blind wild speculations that u state as gospel.  Has something happened in ur life? I dont recall as being so fin annoying and irrational until this past season
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #18394 on: June 25, 2019, 11:33:39 AM »
Madsen hit 13 three's and scored 50 points to break the all-time opposition scoring record against the high school I graduated from when he was a freshman at Bloomer.  That should be enough to be a priority recruit. :P

Seriously, MU needs a shooter in the 2020 class and Madsen can hit shots and score.  Based on what I've seen of him in recent video's, I think he'd be helped by Todd Smith and like most high school players, he'll need to improve his defense. 

I went and saw Steve Novak his junior year in high school.  He looked great in warmups, but had a real poor game.  The next time I saw him was in the state tournament and he had another poor game.  An assistant college coach told me he needed to improve his overall game, but he had one attribute you can't teach and that was his shooting.  From that point I've always looked to see if a player has any HM skills or physical attributes.  If they do, they have a chance.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #18395 on: June 25, 2019, 12:21:34 PM »
Herman i think we can all agree u have no fin clue about your first sentence or many things that u state
Go through the list one by one and you tell us how many are putting a priority on MU. I did , and the only one I think that is realistically considering us is Jalen Bridges.

For example lets pick one random name Tamu put on the list. Jabri Abdur-Rahim.  He is putting out his top 8 soon. What are the odds of us being on that list when Virginia, Michigan, Villanova, Michigan State, Arizona, UCLA,Auburn and Louisville, amongst other top programs are hot on his trail.  Who knows, maybe he and Dexter are best buds and he wants a trip out to Milwaukee and hang for a weekend. Sure I can see that happening, but realistically beyond that what is the hook MU has versus other programs that are perceived to be stronger.
                       ---Al McGuire

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #18396 on: June 25, 2019, 12:22:27 PM »

https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina/Season/2020-Basketball/Offers/

Currently, UNC has 15 offers for 2020... One of those committed to Duke, and one to UNC.

https://247sports.com/college/kansas/Season/2020-Basketball/Offers/

Currently, KU has 28 offers for 2020... One committed to Gonzaga, one committed to WVU.

https://247sports.com/college/kentucky/Season/2020-Basketball/Offers/

Currently, UK has 11 offers for 2020... One committed to Duke.

These schools can't sign all of these players.  The offers from the blue blood schools are 100% conditional.  You better believe that if they get who they want that the offer for the next kid comes off the table.  Just because a kid is offered, doesn't mean jack squat.  As an example, if a kid catches an offer from UNC, and says, "sign me up coach, I'm committing right now"... do you really think that is how this all works?  Obviously, its not.  It may be that way at schools in our tier, but not at blue bloods.  The blue blood commit process is a game of chess.  Top schools are waiting on the best recruits to make their decisions, and then the dominoes start to fall afterwards.

Basically, holding an offer from a blue blood is a nice feather in your cap, but is no guarantee that you'll be attending a blue blood.  There just aren't enough scholarships to go around for all these kids.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #18397 on: June 25, 2019, 12:24:04 PM »
Go through the list one by one and you tell us how many are putting a priority on MU. I did , and the only one I think that is realistically considering us is Jalen Bridges.

For example lets pick one random name Tamu put on the list. Jabri Abdur-Rahim.  He is putting out his top 8 soon. What are the odds of us being on that list when Virginia, Michigan, Villanova, Michigan State, Arizona, UCLA,Auburn and Louisville, amongst other top programs are hot on his trail.  Who knows, maybe he and Dexter are best buds and he wants a trip out to Milwaukee and hang for a weekend. Sure I can see that happening, but realistically beyond that what is the hook MU has versus other programs that are perceived to be stronger.

lol @ the bolded names.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #18398 on: June 25, 2019, 12:32:58 PM »
https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina/Season/2020-Basketball/Offers/

Currently, UNC has 15 offers for 2020... One of those committed to Duke, and one to UNC.

https://247sports.com/college/kansas/Season/2020-Basketball/Offers/

Currently, KU has 28 offers for 2020... One committed to Gonzaga, one committed to WVU.

https://247sports.com/college/kentucky/Season/2020-Basketball/Offers/

Currently, UK has 11 offers for 2020... One committed to Duke.

These schools can't sign all of these players.  The offers from the blue blood schools are 100% conditional.  You better believe that if they get who they want that the offer for the next kid comes off the table.  Just because a kid is offered, doesn't mean jack squat.  As an example, if a kid catches an offer from UNC, and says, "sign me up coach, I'm committing right now"... do you really think that is how this all works?  Obviously, its not.  It may be that way at schools in our tier, but not at blue bloods.  The blue blood commit process is a game of chess.  Top schools are waiting on the best recruits to make their decisions, and then the dominoes start to fall afterwards.

Basically, holding an offer from a blue blood is a nice feather in your cap, but is no guarantee that you'll be attending a blue blood.  There just aren't enough scholarships to go around for all these kids.

Very well aware of what the definition  and levels of offers are . My point is when a kid starts getting multiple blue blood "offers", the likelihood of those offers actually being actionable go up. It means there is a strong consensus forming on a kid's ability.

MU pitch to Dawson is along the lines of what it was to Henry. Come here we feature you etc. That pitch is harder to sell when Self, Roy, Cal etc are also whispering in his ear with hard offers. If it was us against one of them and Dawson was being strung along by the other few( which we would no doubt emphasize) then it would be a different story and we could possibly close the deal. 
                       ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18399 on: June 25, 2019, 12:51:56 PM »

We don't know. You have no idea what Abdur-Rahim thinks about Marquette or what he's looking for in a school beyond a few canned quotes that he's given in interviews. All we can do is make educated guesses based on where coaches are spending their time, where recruits are going on visits, and saying in their interviews.

My list was intentional. I did not include anyone that we offered before this spring who we have not been mentioned with in awhile. But even if we haven't been mentioned in awhile doesn't necessarily mean we are not in the running. For example, we hadn't been connected to DJ Steward in months than all of the sudden he took a campus visit.

You seem to have a very low opinion of Marquette. We are more than capable of competing against most high majors and can even win recruiting battles against blue bloods.
TAMU