Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8461177 times)

Lighthouse 84

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 4/15/19
« Reply #17075 on: April 24, 2019, 03:56:44 PM »
Geez, the last page and a half have been one big circle jerk.

I have a feeling.  What is it?  It's just a feeling.  What did you hear?  What I said.  How do you know?  well......you know....It's actually more than a feeling.

If someone knows something going on, out with it FFS!  But this cryptic BS without some backup doesn't even make for good Scoop reading.

Maybe Glow needs to get involved and get this thread back on recruiting and get this crap out of here.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17076 on: April 24, 2019, 03:58:17 PM »
You're the most annoying person on this board. Spin your pessimistic opinion to sound true via the "inside info" you have, while not giving anything to back it up.

That's not necessary. Onepost is a great fan and has brought us great information. He was one of the earliest to give us a heads up about the Hauser situation
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #17077 on: April 24, 2019, 03:59:05 PM »
And my friend met with Morton this morning, so he relayed his concerns about the transfers to her after meeting with Wojo.

And I agree, I think the others targets you listed are higher needs, and even if we did make his list, I didn't see him coming to MU, Hausers or no Hausers.  I just wanted to relay the story, as it is a direct example of how current targets might look at this situation.

Yep if he sees malcontents wanting the ball more than the all american as a good thing then we dont want him. and if there is anyone in america that thinks that joey should have gotten the ball more or gotten more playing time then that person will hopefully be coaching future marquette opponenents
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #17078 on: April 24, 2019, 04:01:20 PM »
Yep thread turned terrible
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #17079 on: April 24, 2019, 04:38:16 PM »
This post is worse than ur last one.  Could you say absolutely nothing with fewer words in the future to save us all some time?
Big stones. Glass house. At least mine are legible eh?
No Finish Line

onepost

• All American
« Reply #17080 on: April 24, 2019, 04:39:29 PM »
You're the most annoying person on this board. Spin your pessimistic opinion to sound true via the "inside info" you have, while not giving anything to back it up.

Haha given the candidates I'm going up against on Scoop, that's quite an accomplishment.

My "pessismistic opinions" didn't come about until a week and a half ago.  You can go through my post history and see I've always been a glass-half-full guy with Wojo.  Even after Murray State I was more than willing to give Wojo the benefit of the doubt.  Why not?  I was more inclined to buy into 23-4 MU than 1-7 MU to end the year.

I've always been selective with what I share, if I'm told things.  But I share things told by people who are with the team every day going back to "sounds like Jajuan Johnson is gonna commit" in 2012 and "keep an eye on us recruiting Traci Carter out of Philly" in February of 2015.  To your point and plenty others on here, I've admittedly been coy or cryptic with things I've said since then.  Because I'd rather that (sometimes to a fault) than "John Smith, junior student manager with a 3.5 GPA, Marquette ID #005609388 says....".  When it's been good news, few people gave a crap how vague I would come across.  It's pretty obvious where I'm hearing what I'm hearing.

Fast forward to Saturday the 13th, and a friend of mine texted me "Barring a last minute change of heart, both Hausers are gone".
In the same shock and disbelief as the rest of the board, after asking him what the hell was going on, he said "Didn't like playing with Markus and lost a lot of trust in Wojo as the season went on".  I've been mocked for it, but offered to tell what I know and have shared it with about 30 people on this board.  In this particular instance, when speaking with the same friend, he said "the social media stuff is overkill and I can't imagine many people are buying it".

Given what he's shared with me, I'm out on Wojo going forward.  He may salvage a nice 2020 class and I do think we'll still be a top 20 team this year.  But the way he handled things, IN MY OPINION, is enough for me to wholeheartedly doubt he can be the guy going forward.  It's bigger than "2 good players left due to shots and limelight" and most of us know that.  It's a culture issue, stemming back to however many transfers we've had under Wojo, and the culmination of it has now resulted in my "pessismistic opinions".

Believe what you want to, but I'm done defending myself or trying to prove I'm right.  I absolutely love Marquette hoops, take so much pride in our successes.  This entire ordeal is enough for me to lose complete faith in the guy steering the ship.  I'm truly sorry for hijacking my favorite thread on this blog.  In the often-used words of JJJJJ and JakeBarnes, back to recruiting.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 05:25:30 PM by onepostjohnson »

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #17081 on: April 24, 2019, 05:16:24 PM »
Actual recruiting news:

https://twitter.com/jsteppe1/status/1121097016413773824?s=21

#mubb will be visiting Jabari Sibley, Jabri Abdul-Rahim, Elijah Hutchins-Everett, Matt Cross and Zed Kay in the next few days, per a source. #BIGEASThoops

https://twitter.com/bensteelemjs/status/1121096491798605825?s=21

More Marquette visits with prospects today on East Coast: Elijah Hutchins-Everett, Zed Key and Matt Zona. All 2020 big men. #mubb

https://twitter.com/bensteelemjs/status/1121095242722287621?s=21

Marquette staff will visit 2020 SF Jabri Abdur-Rahim today. That also provides a chance to talk with #mubb commit Dexter Akanno, a teammate of Abdur-Rahim's @BlairAcademy_NJ.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #17082 on: April 24, 2019, 05:35:24 PM »
Haha given the candidates I'm going up against on Scoop, that's quite an accomplishment.

My "pessismistic opinions" didn't come about until a week and a half ago.  You can go through my post history and see I've always been a glass-half-full guy with Wojo.  Even after Murray State I was more than willing to give Wojo the benefit of the doubt.  Why not?  I was more inclined to buy into 23-4 MU than 1-7 MU to end the year.

I've always been selective with what I share, if I'm told things.  But I share things told by people who are with the team every day going back to "sounds like Jajuan Johnson is gonna commit" in 2012 and "keep an eye on us recruiting Traci Carter out of Philly" in February of 2015.  To your point and plenty others on here, I've admittedly been coy or cryptic with things I've said since then.  Because I'd rather that (sometimes to a fault) than "John Smith, junior student manager with a 3.5 GPA, Marquette ID #005609388 says....".  When it's been good news, few people gave a crap how vague I would come across.  It's pretty obvious where I'm hearing what I'm hearing.

Fast forward to Saturday the 13th, and a friend of mine texted me "Barring a last minute change of heart, both Hausers are gone".
In the same shock and disbelief as the rest of the board, after asking him what the hell was going on, he said "Didn't like playing with Markus and lost a lot of trust in Wojo as the season went on".  I've been mocked for it, but offered to tell what I know and have shared it with about 30 people on this board.  In this particular instance, when speaking with the same friend, he said "the social media stuff is overkill and I can't imagine many people are buying it".

Given what he's shared with me, I'm out on Wojo going forward.  He may salvage a nice 2020 class and I do think we'll still be a top 20 team this year.  But the way he handled things, IN MY OPINION, is enough for me to wholeheartedly doubt he can be the guy going forward.  It's bigger than "2 good players left due to shots and limelight" and most of us know that.  It's a culture issue, stemming back to however many transfers we've had under Wojo, and the culmination of it has now resulted in my "pessismistic opinions".

Believe what you want to, but I'm done defending myself or trying to prove I'm right.  I absolutely love Marquette hoops, take so much pride in our successes.  This entire ordeal is enough for me to lose complete faith in the guy steering the ship.  I'm truly sorry for hijacking my favorite thread on this blog.  In the often-used words of JJJJJ and JakeBarnes, back to recruiting.

I believe what you say.

But why are so many of those talking about "lost trust" not talking about, or flat out denying, that the Hausers opinion on Markus was part of the decision making process?

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #17083 on: April 24, 2019, 05:42:24 PM »

Thanks for confirming that this was, in fact, about the Hauser boys wanting more shots. What other possible reason would they have for not liking to play with a BEPOY and all-American?  They want better ball distribution so Theo and Ed can get more shots up? 

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #17084 on: April 24, 2019, 05:46:25 PM »
I believe what you say.

But why are so many of those talking about "lost trust" not talking about, or flat out denying, that the Hausers opinion on Markus was part of the decision making process?
Could be Markus & the Housers are and will continue to be great friends. "Didn't like playing with Markus" could be players don't like playing with any player that the coach has no control over or chooses to give one player the green light to dominate the ball and shots.
I had many great friends growing up that I didn't want to be on the same team with in a pick-up game because they were ball hogs. Never affected our friendship.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #17085 on: April 24, 2019, 06:14:38 PM »
Could be Markus & the Housers are and will continue to be great friends. "Didn't like playing with Markus" could be players don't like playing with any player that the coach has no control over or chooses to give one player the green light to dominate the ball and shots.
I had many great friends growing up that I didn't want to be on the same team with in a pick-up game because they were ball hogs. Never affected our friendship.

Good comparison.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17086 on: April 24, 2019, 06:15:44 PM »
I believe what you say.

What WhiteTrash said, I believe. The family's comments as well as how the Hausers tried to handle things to me indicate their issue was more with Wojo's system than Howard personally. They didn't want to be in a system that created a 41% usage player.

Unless, maybe, one of them was that guy. Which is why Howard's return was the catalyst to their departure.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #17087 on: April 24, 2019, 06:26:50 PM »
It feels like a manufactured, over-the-top amount of Twitter/Instagram damage control to try and convince people that things are peachy keen.

based on the fact that just about every player has been reposting the mubb account stuff and posting stuff of their own id say the only people that need to buy in seem to be doing so. if you don’t like it/its annoying you seems like the simple solution would be to not follow their accounts?

we get it. you love the hausers and because the team isnt publicly sitting around crying over their departure you wont stand for it.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #17088 on: April 24, 2019, 06:49:14 PM »

i have never once left the gym because my best friend is the best player in the gym and is on my team.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17089 on: April 24, 2019, 08:53:04 PM »
OnePost, thank you for the post genuinely. This is good insight that helps inform my opinion on the situation.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #17090 on: April 24, 2019, 09:12:03 PM »
I believe what you say.

I think the fact that many on the team, not just Sam and Joey, raised situational frustrations with Wojo and despite assurances that things would change, that wasn't the case.

No question the Hausers' own opinions were obviously a big part of it - they made the choices.  The impression I was given was it was less "Markus is taking our personal shots" and more "we've shown to be really tough when we work the ball around and everyone is involved (@Gtown, @Providence, @Xaiver), and despite Markus's occasional brilliance bailing the team out, we're better when that's not our offense late (@Nova, @Seton Hall, BE tourney game vs. Seton Hall)".  Once it was clear Wojo wouldn't/couldn't change that, and Markus came back, the decision was made.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #17091 on: April 24, 2019, 09:15:19 PM »
A compketely asinine post.  I played a D1 sport and can absolutely guarantee you that every single kid on a  D1 team and prolly even lower considers transferring at many points during their career.  In fact the only kids that might not consider it are kids that come in as Freshman and start and produce and the coaches and fans love them.  If this doesnt happen for a kid i absolutely guarantee you they consider it, and for the kids that that does happen for i guarantee alot of them consider it too.  College athletics, especially D1 is incredibly hard and kids that were stars, everyone of them, are now faced with supreme adversity, no free time, doubt, pressure, lonliness, etc. etc. etc. for the first time.  And are 18-19-20 years old.  99% consider transferring n many consider quitting.  Just because u dont know that doesnt mean it doesnt happen.  Phone calls home, encouragment from friends, family, teammates and coaches, fear of failure and mental toughness get most of them through it.
I agree with this analysis.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

onepost

• All American
« Reply #17092 on: April 24, 2019, 09:19:00 PM »
we get it. you love the hausers and because the team isnt publicly sitting around crying over their departure you wont stand for it.

I absolutely loved having Sam and Joey at Marquette, who didn't?  They were phenomenal reps off the court and I thought could have been all-timers had they played their whole careers here.

I'm saying I believe there are some serious issues with the program when two guys like Sam and Joey are willing to give up as much as they are, to leave a top 5 team in their home state, of which they've both had featured roles from their respective Day 1's.  And a kickball game or a couple pictures in the weight room isn't convincing me that things are blown over and as good as they've been in months.  Others here whose opinions I really respect think they are, and they very well could be right.  I hope they are.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17093 on: April 24, 2019, 09:33:59 PM »
I think you vastly overstate the "turmoil" of the program and its "out of control" nature. That's a narrative that's been spun on Scoop, but not at all nationally. Two kids left, and that sucks, but remember it's two kids who were and will be joined at the hip. It's akin to one kid deciding he wanted out, because where one Hauser goes, so goes the other.
 I'd likely be more concerned if, say, Joey and Greg both left. And if transfers portend a program in disarray, then  there are a whole lot of programs out there in disarray, because last I checked, some 800 players and counting are transferring this year.
Don't get me wrong - MU would be far better off without the transfers, but what you choose to spin as turmoil, the coaching staff can spin to recruits as opportunity. And the chance to play is far more important to a recruit than the fact some kids transferred.

You and I agree on a lot, Pakuni, and I am not going to try to convince you about something you clearly already have made up your mind about. So we'll agree to disagree.

The onus is on Wojo to prove this will not derail the program. We'll see. Obviously, I hope he succeeds.

We are Marquette!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #17094 on: April 24, 2019, 09:41:21 PM »
I think the fact that many on the team, not just Sam and Joey, raised situational frustrations with Wojo and despite assurances that things would change, that wasn't the case.

No question the Hausers' own opinions were obviously a big part of it - they made the choices.  The impression I was given was it was less "Markus is taking our personal shots" and more "we've shown to be really tough when we work the ball around and everyone is involved (@Gtown, @Providence, @Xaiver), and despite Markus's occasional brilliance bailing the team out, we're better when that's not our offense late (@Nova, @Seton Hall, BE tourney game vs. Seton Hall)".  Once it was clear Wojo wouldn't/couldn't change that, and Markus came back, the decision was made.

@Nova -- up 60-58 with four minutes to go Markus turnover, Joey missed a shot, Anim turnover, Sam missed a shot. Now down 63-60, we went to our All-American who missed four shots after sitting extended time in foul trouble. 

@Hall -- up nine with 4.30 to go Joey missed a shot, Sam missed, Markus missed, Markus turnover, Theo missed, Sam missed, Sam missed, Sam missed, Markus missed, Anim missed.

@Hall in MSG -- down five with four to go Sam made two FTs, Sam missed, Sam made, Markus made FTs, Chartouny missed, Sam missed, Markus missed FT, Markus made two FTs, (rinse repeat as that was our offense for 1.53 of last two minutes), Markus missed last shot.

The bolded are Hauser plays. We went to Joey late in two of the three -- he missed both times. We went to Sam in all three games -- he went 1-8 with a couple of FTs.

The Hausers had chances late in games, late in the season and they failed. Sam did so repeatedly.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17095 on: April 24, 2019, 09:48:02 PM »

It's OK to say the Hausers felt they couldn't play with Markus because they wanted more touches and wanted to be featured more. Like most good athletes, they have a selfish side. Acknowledging that wouldn't make them bad people. The whole deal would still be primarily Wojo's "fault" for not knowing how to manage the situation.

It's the narrative that the wonderful, totally selfless Hausers only wanted what was best for everybody and really didn't care about their stats or their touches ... and they actually liked playing with Markus, their friend ... but the evil and/or stoopid and/or dishonest Wojo forced them to leave because they completely lost faith in him ... except they would have stayed and played for the evil/stoopid/dishonest Wojo if their friend had left ... sorry, there are just too many holes in that narrative for me to buy it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #17096 on: April 24, 2019, 09:52:50 PM »
It's OK to say the Hausers felt they couldn't play with Markus because they wanted more touches and wanted to be featured more. Like most good athletes, they have a selfish side. Acknowledging that wouldn't make them bad people. The whole deal would still be primarily Wojo's "fault" for not knowing how to manage the situation.

It's the narrative that the wonderful, totally selfless Hausers only wanted what was best for everybody and really didn't care about their stats or their touches ... and they actually liked playing with Markus, their friend ... but the evil and/or stoopid and/or dishonest Wojo forced them to leave because they completely lost faith in him ... except they would have stayed and played for the evil/stoopid/dishonest Wojo if their friend had left ... sorry, there are just too many holes in that narrative for me to buy it.
Well, yeah.  There are no winners in all this. Ugh.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #17097 on: April 25, 2019, 05:34:40 AM »
There are many other threads to discuss the Hausers and Wojo's future. Please stop derailing this gem of a thread with that nonsense.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #17098 on: April 25, 2019, 07:00:05 AM »
@Nova -- up 60-58 with four minutes to go Markus turnover, Joey missed a shot, Anim turnover, Sam missed a shot. Now down 63-60, we went to our All-American who missed four shots after sitting extended time in foul trouble. 

@Hall -- up nine with 4.30 to go Joey missed a shot, Sam missed, Markus missed, Markus turnover, Theo missed, Sam missed, Sam missed, Sam missed, Markus missed, Anim missed.

@Hall in MSG -- down five with four to go Sam made two FTs, Sam missed, Sam made, Markus made FTs, Chartouny missed, Sam missed, Markus missed FT, Markus made two FTs, (rinse repeat as that was our offense for 1.53 of last two minutes), Markus missed last shot.

The bolded are Hauser plays. We went to Joey late in two of the three -- he missed both times. We went to Sam in all three games -- he went 1-8 with a couple of FTs.

The Hausers had chances late in games, late in the season and they failed. Sam did so repeatedly.
Thank you for taking the time to look this up. Plenty of blame to go around it seems

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #17099 on: April 25, 2019, 07:53:30 AM »
Good job Lighthouse 84 Warriors. Crap is not worth reading. Want true
facts not guessing.