[Today at 02:25:52 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8450926 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 4/15/19
« Reply #17025 on: April 23, 2019, 09:11:33 PM »
Krzyzewski and staff were in St. Louis today to visit Cam’Ron Fletcher (Vashon) and Caleb Love (CBC).
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 06:14:34 AM by shoothoops »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17026 on: April 23, 2019, 09:22:04 PM »
MU 2020 target Johnny Juzang with a "big announcement" tomorrow at 6:30. Most likely going to announce a commitment, with Kentucky the favorite.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #17027 on: April 24, 2019, 09:55:23 AM »
MU 2020 target Johnny Juzang with a "big announcement" tomorrow at 6:30. Most likely going to announce a commitment, with Kentucky the favorite.

Sounds like he may be reclassifying to 2019.  Did Juzang release a final list of schools at some point?
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17028 on: April 24, 2019, 10:06:10 AM »
Sounds like he may be reclassifying to 2019.  Did Juzang release a final list of schools at some point?

We were on a list of 10, but I'm not at all remotely optimistic.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #17029 on: April 24, 2019, 10:20:22 AM »
So a good high school friend (Michigan grad and former student-athlete) posted a pic of herself, Ethan Morton, and Coach Beilein this morning.  She was in Ann Arbor for unrelated reasons, but was actually one of Morton's teachers, so they met up during what I assume is his official campus visit.

Anyway, I made an off-hand comment that he should come to MU because UM is "probably all full", and here was her response:

"from what I hear Marquette was on the short list of possible visits, but it seems like there have been a few significant recent changes to your program"

So, first off, I think we can probably cross Morton off the list of 2020 possibilities.  Secondly, I sure hope every recruit doesn't look at the Hausers' transfer in the same way, or we're in trouble. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 10:22:28 AM by Skip Intro »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #17030 on: April 24, 2019, 10:24:06 AM »
So a good high school friend (Michigan grad and former student-athlete) posted a pic of herself, Ethan Morton, and Coach Boeheim this morning.  She was in Ann Arbor for unrelated reasons, but was actually one of Morton's teachers, so they met up during what I assume is his official campus visit.

Anyway, I made an off-hand comment that he should come to MU because UM is "probably all full", and here was her response:

"from what I hear Marquette was on the short list of possible visits, but it seems like there have been a few significant recent changes to your program"

So, first off, I think we can probably cross Morton off the list of 2020 possibilities.  Secondly, I sure hope every recruit doesn't look at the Hausers' transfer in the same way, or we're in trouble.

Why was Coach Boeheim recruiting in Ann Arbor?
Why would a 2020 kid care about Sam Hauser leaving Marquette? Sam would have been gone by the time that kid came to campus anyhow?

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #17031 on: April 24, 2019, 10:28:48 AM »
Why would a 2020 kid care about Sam Hauser leaving Marquette? Sam would have been gone by the time that kid came to campus anyhow?

I meant Beilein - fixed that.

And I don't know for sure, but I'm imagining it was less about Sam leaving than it was about two featured players (who happened to be brothers) leaving.  Probably doesn't scream stability.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17032 on: April 24, 2019, 10:49:59 AM »
Why would a 2020 kid care about Sam Hauser leaving Marquette?

Because kids (and perhaps even moreso their parents) don't want a program in turmoil and a coach who can't deal with each player on a personal basis to make the overall team dynamic work.

Even many Scoopers who had strongly supported Wojo (such as yours truly) were very concerned after the Hauser fiasco because it smacked of a program out of control and a coach who can't manage egos. And it makes Wojo's program an extremely easy target for negative recruiting.

Maybe the more recent public displays of team unity will help mitigate that. Here's hoping.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #17033 on: April 24, 2019, 11:08:32 AM »
You really can’t see why the Hauser’s abrupt departure could impact a recruit’s perception?
No Finish Line

Goose

• All American
« Reply #17034 on: April 24, 2019, 11:10:25 AM »
Dimer

If that question needs to be answered, I know get why some folks are still jacked up for next season. I thought the question was a joke.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #17035 on: April 24, 2019, 11:12:50 AM »
Agreed Goose.

No doubt Wojo’s reputation has taken a hit and it will affect recruiting to some extent
No Finish Line

Goose

• All American
« Reply #17036 on: April 24, 2019, 11:15:01 AM »
Dimer

In addition, has Wojo ever received an extension? If not, the Hauser departure and no extension is going to make things more difficult. Probably why the kid from Waukesha and the stud from Drexel are now on the radar.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #17037 on: April 24, 2019, 11:31:59 AM »
Because kids (and perhaps even moreso their parents) don't want a program in turmoil and a coach who can't deal with each player on a personal basis to make the overall team dynamic work.

Even many Scoopers who had strongly supported Wojo (such as yours truly) were very concerned after the Hauser fiasco because it smacked of a program out of control and a coach who can't manage egos. And it makes Wojo's program an extremely easy target for negative recruiting.

Maybe the more recent public displays of team unity will help mitigate that. Here's hoping.

I think you vastly overstate the "turmoil" of the program and its "out of control" nature. That's a narrative that's been spun on Scoop, but not at all nationally. Two kids left, and that sucks, but remember it's two kids who were and will be joined at the hip. It's akin to one kid deciding he wanted out, because where one Hauser goes, so goes the other.
 I'd likely be more concerned if, say, Joey and Greg both left. And if transfers portend a program in disarray, then  there are a whole lot of programs out there in disarray, because last I checked, some 800 players and counting are transferring this year.
Don't get me wrong - MU would be far better off without the transfers, but what you choose to spin as turmoil, the coaching staff can spin to recruits as opportunity. And the chance to play is far more important to a recruit than the fact some kids transferred.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #17038 on: April 24, 2019, 11:39:48 AM »
I think you vastly overstate the "turmoil" of the program and its "out of control" nature. That's a narrative that's been spun on Scoop, but not at all nationally. Two kids left, and that sucks, but remember it's two kids who were and will be joined at the hip. It's akin to one kid deciding he wanted out, because where one Hauser goes, so goes the other.
 I'd likely be more concerned if, say, Joey and Greg both left. And if transfers portend a program in disarray, then  there are a whole lot of programs out there in disarray, because last I checked, some 800 players and counting are transferring this year.
Don't get me wrong - MU would be far better off without the transfers, but what you choose to spin as turmoil, the coaching staff can spin to recruits as opportunity. And the chance to play is far more important to a recruit than the fact some kids transferred.

These weren't just "typical" transfers though. You don't think if Wojo sits down in a kids living room with his parents that they aren't going to ask why two players(both starters), both highly regarded recruits are leaving a program that was going to be a preseason top 10, and a legit chance to make the Final Four?? Those things just don't happen in college basketball. If I'm a kid or a parent, I'm 100% asking about it.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #17039 on: April 24, 2019, 11:41:19 AM »

They can talk “opportunity” to the recruits, but the parents might see through that, hey?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #17040 on: April 24, 2019, 11:45:54 AM »
shouldn't have responded in this thread.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 11:57:16 AM by forgetful »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #17041 on: April 24, 2019, 11:50:09 AM »
Anyway this conversation could be completed in a thread that isn't dedicated to recruiting?  Please? Thanks.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17042 on: April 24, 2019, 12:09:19 PM »
These weren't just "typical" transfers though. You don't think if Wojo sits down in a kids living room with his parents that they aren't going to ask why two players(both starters), both highly regarded recruits are leaving a program that was going to be a preseason top 10, and a legit chance to make the Final Four?? Those things just don't happen in college basketball. If I'm a kid or a parent, I'm 100% asking about it.
And if he says 'they gave me an ultimatum that it either a second team all American left or they did and then Markus stayed'  you think it would actually be a negative?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #17043 on: April 24, 2019, 12:49:03 PM »
It was a lot closer to more than two kids than many believe. And the others that decided to stay did so after considering what was in their immediate best interests. That shouldn’t be confused with their decision as being some positive reflection of Wojo. I think his reputation has been negatively affected by everything that transpired the past several weeks not just the Hausers transferring
No Finish Line

muguru

• All American
« Reply #17044 on: April 24, 2019, 12:51:05 PM »
And if he says 'they gave me an ultimatum that it either a second team all American left or they did and then Markus stayed'  you think it would actually be a negative?

Except if he did that he'd be lying to them...is that what you really want him to do when recruiting?? That's basically what lost him the Hauser's..not keep promises, which is basically lying.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17045 on: April 24, 2019, 12:57:50 PM »
It was a lot closer to more than two kids than many believe. And the others that decided to stay did so after considering what was in their immediate bests interests. That shouldn’t be confused with their decision as being some positive reflection of Wojo. I think his reputation has been negatively affected by everything that transpired the past several weeks not just the Hausers transferring

First, every team has multiple players "close to transfer" every season. Close only matters in horseshoes and hand grenades.

Second,  you are right,  a player coming back doesn't necessarily mean anything positive about the coach. Just like a player leaving doesn't necessarily mean anything negative about the coach.

I'm getting the impression that our team,  players and coaches, are the most unified it's been in months.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #17046 on: April 24, 2019, 01:04:49 PM »
Agreed Goose.

No doubt Wojo’s reputation has taken a hit and it will affect recruiting to some extent

We will know over the next several months what damage, if any, the program has taken. I am giving Wojo the benefit of the doubt here. If he whiffs then the damage was worse than many of us realize right now.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #17047 on: April 24, 2019, 01:08:12 PM »
First, every team has multiple players "close to transfer" every season. Close only matters in horseshoes and hand grenades.

Second,  you are right,  a player coming back doesn't necessarily mean anything positive about the coach. Just like a player leaving doesn't necessarily mean anything negative about the coach.

I'm getting the impression that our team,  players and coaches, are the most unified it's been in months.
That’s awesome to hear and I hope like hell that’s the case. I do agree that while the past several weeks could doom next season they could also just as easily galvanize the team
No Finish Line

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #17048 on: April 24, 2019, 01:21:52 PM »
So a good high school friend (Michigan grad and former student-athlete) posted a pic of herself, Ethan Morton, and Coach Beilein this morning.  She was in Ann Arbor for unrelated reasons, but was actually one of Morton's teachers, so they met up during what I assume is his official campus visit.

Well, wojo and staff were there seeing Morton yesterday. So they were still in on him yesterday.

I'd still put more of a focus on Garcia, Rahim, Dainja, Jackson, Burnett and Sibley right now.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 02:20:11 PM by JakeBarnes »
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #17049 on: April 24, 2019, 02:04:40 PM »
It was a lot closer to more than two kids than many believe. And the others that decided to stay did so after considering what was in their immediate best interests. That shouldn’t be confused with their decision as being some positive reflection of Wojo. I think his reputation has been negatively affected by everything that transpired the past several weeks not just the Hausers transferring

A compketely asinine post.  I played a D1 sport and can absolutely guarantee you that every single kid on a  D1 team and prolly even lower considers transferring at many points during their career.  In fact the only kids that might not consider it are kids that come in as Freshman and start and produce and the coaches and fans love them.  If this doesnt happen for a kid i absolutely guarantee you they consider it, and for the kids that that does happen for i guarantee alot of them consider it too.  College athletics, especially D1 is incredibly hard and kids that were stars, everyone of them, are now faced with supreme adversity, no free time, doubt, pressure, lonliness, etc. etc. etc. for the first time.  And are 18-19-20 years old.  99% consider transferring n many consider quitting.  Just because u dont know that doesnt mean it doesnt happen.  Phone calls home, encouragment from friends, family, teammates and coaches, fear of failure and mental toughness get most of them through it. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 02:07:04 PM by Mr. Sand-Knit »
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.