Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8722823 times)

muguru

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 12/15/18
« Reply #15475 on: December 27, 2018, 09:49:33 AM »
Absolutely disagree.  The tournament is a crapshoot, and you cannot win it if you don’t get there.  The first goal is to get there, and to get there repeatedly, consistently. 

Forgive me for wanting to be good and not wanting the sleeve factor that goes with it.  I would rather take Gonzaga or UW-Madison’s approach every day of the week and twice on Sundays for a number of reasons.

Sustainability
Realistic expectations of success including an occasional very deep run
Limitations of bad ethical behavior

Every damn day I prefer that choice and it is why the programs that go that approach usually (not always) don’t have the stain that goes with it.  You call that small minded?  I call it THE RIGHT WAY TO DO IT

Never ever wanted MU to break rules or anything like that, I want them to be the exception, not the rule in CBB. You can be elite and not break rules. Nova is elite, how many rules have they broken?? Buzz had MU on the trajectory I wanted to see, that's where I want MU to get back to(as far as on court results), because from there, it CAN go higher. As far as getting there consistently...again, I'd take that right now, but that's the sad part..MU WAS there under Buzz and going higher, it's now been once in the last 5 years for MU...that SHOULDN'T be good enough for anyone.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #15476 on: December 27, 2018, 09:57:39 AM »
Great to hear all this recruiting news, guys. This is what we come to this thread for!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15477 on: December 27, 2018, 10:13:22 AM »
Nova is a great model for MU. It took Wright awhile to build the program. He got better over time. Put a solid team on the floor, supplemented with high level recruits that bought into the program. Wojo may not get there, but it’s the right trajectory.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #15478 on: December 27, 2018, 11:01:07 AM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #15479 on: December 27, 2018, 11:11:37 AM »
Never ever wanted MU to break rules or anything like that, I want them to be the exception, not the rule in CBB. You can be elite and not break rules. Nova is elite, how many rules have they broken?? Buzz had MU on the trajectory I wanted to see, that's where I want MU to get back to(as far as on court results), because from there, it CAN go higher. As far as getting there consistently...again, I'd take that right now, but that's the sad part..MU WAS there under Buzz and going higher, it's now been once in the last 5 years for MU...that SHOULDN'T be good enough for anyone.

Rebuilds take time.  Culture changes sometimes take even longer. 

Look, I'm not questioning your fanhood, you are off the charts behind MU which is great.  But please don't question ours, either, in terms of our fandom.  I've said here for a decade that I look at success in stages and this is often how many of the sports teams / sports  entertainment entities I have worked for view it.  There is the regular season, there is the post season.  There is the off season.  One can be successful in some and not in others.  The post season, especially in college hoops, is such a nightmare to predict that it is treated separately.  You cannot control where the game is played, time of game, who you play, etc.  In almost every other sport the team knows down to 2 or 3 teams weeks in advance who they are playing, 1 of 2 places they are playing (home or away), their style, etc.  College hoops you get 3 days to prepare...period.  You have a semi-off day, you go home. Our own history shows this...the 1977 team was not Al's best and Al stated this on a number of occasions, but that's the team that won it all. His best teams....didn't.

Give me a team that competes hard, is in the upper part of the conference each year and will win the conference championship every few years, makes the NCAAs 4 out of 5 years on average, and has an occasional deep run = VERY SUCCESSFUL PROGRAM.   

People love to bring up the amount of money we spend on hoops and the ROI. I have to tell you that if we didn't spend that kind of money, we would be off the map. We spend that money just to get to where we are at. We don't have the built in advantages of the public schools, sluff majors, huge recruiting hotbed, warm weather, etc.  But we do quite well and I think we are ready to embark upon a nice run here. Next year could be very special, but we also have to be ready for a rebuild year after next, and Wojo has to land some guys in that class....that class is HUGELY important for consistency.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 11:28:21 AM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #15480 on: December 27, 2018, 11:16:06 AM »
Crean sucks

I'm just glad we all got to experience 2003. Let's hope we can get back there again some day.  DWade retiring this year from NBA, so that linkage of watching him play basketball ends.  Let's hope a deep run again, next year could be it.

I found this photo on my laptop from 2003 yesterday when archiving a bunch of old files and it made me laugh. I have the original in my man cave with the '77 team, but someone had a sense of humor....though I suspect others will call it blasphemy.  To each their own, 2003 was a fun run.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

muguru

• All American
« Reply #15481 on: December 27, 2018, 11:19:52 AM »
Rebuilds take time.  Culture changes sometimes take even longer. 

Look, I'm not questioning your fanhood, you are off the charts behind MU which is great.  But please don't question ours, either, in terms of our fandom.  I've said her for a decade that I look at success in stages and this is often how many of the sports teams / sports  entertainment entities I have worked for.  There is the regular season, there is the post season.  There is the off season.  One can be successful in some and not in others.  The post season, especially in college hoops, is such a nightmare to predict that it is treated separately.  You cannot control where the game is played, time of game, who you play, etc.  In almost every other sport the team knows down to 2 or 3 teams weeks in advance who they are playing, 1 of 2 places they are playing (home or away), their style, etc.  College hoops you get 3 days to prepare...period.  You have a semi-off day, you go home. Our own history shows this...the 1977 team was not Al's best and Al stated this on a number of occasions, but that's the team that won it all. His best teams....didn't.

Give me a team that competes hard, is in the upper part of the conference each year and will win the conference championship every few years, makes the NCAAs 4 out of 5 years on average, and has an occasional deep run = VERY SUCCESSFUL PROGRAM.   

People love to bring up the amount of money we spend on hoops and the ROI. I have to tell you that if we didn't spend that kind of money, we would be off the map. We spend that money just to get to where we are at. We don't have the built in advantages of the public schools, sluff majors, huge recruiting hotbed, warm weather, etc.  But we do quite well and I think we are ready to embark upon a nice run here. Next year could be very special, but we also have to be ready for a rebuild year after next, and Wojo has to land some guys in that class....that class is HUGELY important for consistency.

You nailed it...I(and I'm sure many others), do NOT want to see another rebuild..especially so quickly. In a way, almost regardless of anything else Wojo accomplishes at MU, that class could define his legacy...Meaning that class could essentially determine what kind of program MU will become under Wojo.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #15482 on: December 27, 2018, 11:20:30 AM »
Why comment when they win?? I expect them to do that...ergo, I am not surprised or shocked when they do. You play to win the game.

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #15483 on: December 27, 2018, 11:25:58 AM »
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #15484 on: December 27, 2018, 12:01:16 PM »
They aren't ever going to get Zion Williamson unless he is an in state kid who doesn't want to leave home so you might want to just go root for Duke now.
I agree with this suggestion. Please go bother another board guru and stop posting out of your ass on this one
No Finish Line

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #15485 on: December 27, 2018, 12:05:20 PM »
Well this is quickly becoming not fun here. Let's change the subject to what the subject is supposed to be about......

Is the winter break a big time for recruits to visit schools because they are off class? Do we know of anyone looking to visit during any game?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #15486 on: December 27, 2018, 12:11:04 PM »
I agree with this suggestion. Please go bother another board guru and stop posting out of your ass on this one

Whatever, I said specifically a Zion Williamson TYPE(meaning Elite). Keep thinking small though, and be content with where MU is as a program. That's your right.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #15487 on: December 27, 2018, 12:11:17 PM »
Well this is quickly becoming not fun here. Let's change the subject to what the subject is supposed to be about......

Is the winter break a big time for recruits to visit schools because they are off class? Do we know of anyone looking to visit during any game?

Many kids have lots of holiday tourneys & practice. Many colleges have crappy games or days off and would prefer not have visitors then vs other times. Aina?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #15488 on: December 27, 2018, 01:01:09 PM »
Whatever, I said specifically a Zion Williamson TYPE(meaning Elite). Keep thinking small though, and be content with where MU is as a program. That's your right.
Your self proclaimed fan superiority is a joke and makes you sound like a fool
No Finish Line

Ben Golds Five

• Starter
« Reply #15489 on: December 27, 2018, 01:07:50 PM »
Great to hear all this recruiting news, guys. This is what we come to this thread for!

+1

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #15490 on: December 27, 2018, 01:10:44 PM »
I'm just glad we all got to experience 2003. Let's hope we can get back there again some day.  DWade retiring this year from NBA, so that linkage of watching him play basketball ends.  Let's hope a deep run again, next year could be it.

I found this photo on my laptop from 2003 yesterday when archiving a bunch of old files and it made me laugh. I have the original in my man cave with the '77 team, but someone had a sense of humor....though I suspect others will call it blasphemy.  To each their own, 2003 was a fun run.

I too have the original version and while this is photoshopped, you know well as me, that Al would never have posed in this picture. Crean, however, seems pissed that he's in the third row and not front and center. Empty cans make a lot of noise when a few pennies are in them, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15491 on: December 27, 2018, 01:54:47 PM »
Buzz had MU on the trajectory I wanted to see, that's where I want MU to get back to(as far as on court results), because from there, it CAN go higher.

Did it without a top-25 recruit. Did it less than wholesomely (to some). Fell well short of "elite" if the only definition is national titles.

Whatever, I said specifically a Zion Williamson TYPE(meaning Elite).

As others have pointed out, Brunson was nowhere near a star on Nova's first title team. He was NOTHING like a Williamson TYPE. As others have pointed out, Markus was just as star-like as Brunson.

Curious, guru ... Was Nova an "elite" program in, say, 2014-15? If you were "vuguru," would you have regularly been ripping Wright a new one then?

Keep thinking small though, and be content with where MU is as a program. That's your right.

I'm content in my status as a complete human being, able to function just fine even when my alma mater doesn't win national titles. Which, of course, doesn't mean I'm less of a fan. What's your alma mater, BTW?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muguru

• All American
« Reply #15492 on: December 27, 2018, 02:28:35 PM »
Did it without a top-25 recruit. Did it less than wholesomely (to some). Fell well short of "elite" if the only definition is national titles.

Buzz was knocking on the door though...less we forget he had them in an Elite 8, and two Sweet 16's in his time there.

As others have pointed out, Brunson was nowhere near a star on Nova's first title team. He was NOTHING like a Williamson TYPE. As others have pointed out, Markus was just as star-like as Brunson.

How important was he to their second?? Do they win it again without him?? Markus is a flat out stud, no doubt about it...as is Sam, and Joey is on his way..That being said...how would this MU team look if you replaced say Sacar with an RJ Barrett TYPE??

Curious, guru ... Was Nova an "elite" program in, say, 2014-15? If you were "vuguru," would you have regularly been ripping Wright a new one then?

I have been on Wojo so hard because in his previous 4 years he has count 'em..ONE tournament appearance...ONE. And that one was a debacle.

I'm content in my status as a complete human being, able to function just fine even when my alma mater doesn't win national titles. Which, of course, doesn't mean I'm less of a fan. What's your alma mater, BTW?

I do not have one, and I do just fine

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #15493 on: December 27, 2018, 02:44:30 PM »
Some people will only be satisfied with the kind of success Al McGuire had from 1969-77.  That's an awful high target to achieve and it's great to strive for, but...…..

Marquette is 10-2 and is in the top 20 in nearly every poll.  Won a game over a top 15 team with only 1 senior playing 17 minutes.  Still have a high ceiling to improve and are playing like a veteran team. 

Kind of a sad deal for me is Henry Ellenson.  Top 25 player who played 1 year with Marquette and didn't make the tournament.  Yes, he was drafted in the first round and yet, he has only played in 59 games in 2 plus years with the Pistons.  They have already told Henry they will not retain him after this year.  Will another NBA team have interest in signing him or will he spend the rest of his years in the NBA's minor leagues or in Europe?  He's still only 22 years old, but his 1 college year may be his post high school basketball highlight.

1) I was at MU in the McGuire era and you'll never know how much fun it was until it returns -- and it will! But even then, you have to admit that it took a long time and lots of near misses for us to reach the promised land under Coach McGuire. Many times in here we've agonized over Purdue, Ohio State, Indiana, Kentucky etc., over the years. And then we fell from grace as fast as we got it.

2) I could not agree more on Henry. You could see in the one year at Marquette that he was struggling with playing opposition  that was NOT from Spooner, Shell Lake or Chippawa Falls. Our team was building and not very good, yet. Had Henry stayed, it might have been a more conducive learning environment. Oh, and we would have been pretty good his sophomore and maybe his junior year. We argued until Satan was wearing earmuffs about the money, but if Henry had stuck around, I don't think he would have been worse off. He probably would have enjoyed quite a bit of success at MU and he'd be most of the way to a college degree, which would have been valuable even after he spent the last NBA dollar he earned. With the network of our alumni in Wisconsin and Illinois, I'm sure his post NBA prospects would have been very good.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #15494 on: December 27, 2018, 03:01:10 PM »
Who knows if Henry gets a shot in the NBA if he stays. He's made 3.6 million in 3 years since leaving. He made the right choice. He will never spend his last NBA dollar if he manages his money right.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #15495 on: December 27, 2018, 03:29:33 PM »
Who knows if Henry gets a shot in the NBA if he stays. He's made 3.6 million in 3 years since leaving. He made the right choice. He will never spend his last NBA dollar if he manages his money right.

Maybe.  [Although I think that he made the right choice.] But unless he gets another NBA contract...

$3.6 * .9 (for agent and related) = $3,240,000 * .5 (approx blended fed/state and employment taxes) = $1,620,000 / 3 years = $540,000 per year. If he is reeeaaaalllly good with that money, and saves 1/2 of it, he will have a safety net down the road.

That is a very nice start in life, but even if he is relatively smart with his money for a 20 year old, he will be spending that NBA money soon unless he signs again.  In all events, even if he doesn't make it in the NBA, and barring injury, he will be paid a living wage to play basketball somewhere for another 10 years plus.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #15496 on: December 27, 2018, 05:31:35 PM »
1) I was at MU in the McGuire era and you'll never know how much fun it was until it returns -- and it will! But even then, you have to admit that it took a long time and lots of near misses for us to reach the promised land under Coach McGuire. Many times in here we've agonized over Purdue, Ohio State, Indiana, Kentucky etc., over the years. And then we fell from grace as fast as we got it.

2) I could not agree more on Henry. You could see in the one year at Marquette that he was struggling with playing opposition  that was NOT from Spooner, Shell Lake or Chippawa Falls. Our team was building and not very good, yet. Had Henry stayed, it might have been a more conducive learning environment. Oh, and we would have been pretty good his sophomore and maybe his junior year. We argued until Satan was wearing earmuffs about the money, but if Henry had stuck around, I don't think he would have been worse off. He probably would have enjoyed quite a bit of success at MU and he'd be most of the way to a college degree, which would have been valuable even after he spent the last NBA dollar he earned. With the network of our alumni in Wisconsin and Illinois, I'm sure his post NBA prospects would have been very good.

The crux of Henry leaving is the issue that you are on basically a three year trial.  Had he stayed at MU for another year or two he would have begun his 3 year trial that much more mentally and physicalky mature with a more refined and more NBA ready game.  He essentially began his trial too early.  Yes he got his 3 yrs of guaranteed money but the truly multigenerational life changing legacy money is made on the second contract.  Henry and most specifically his parents erred woefully in leaving as early and unprepared as he was.  Did the guy even shoot 30% from 3?  I dont recall but it sure didnt feel like he did. Stretch 4 that couldnt shoot.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15497 on: December 27, 2018, 05:49:55 PM »

Oh come now. One doesn’t need to be an alumnus to be a fan.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #15498 on: December 27, 2018, 06:03:22 PM »
Henry was never that good.  If he stayed he would have been further scrutinized and exposed.  He is getting NBA coaching now, does nothing but refine his game and cannot stick.  Staying another 2 or 3 years of 20 hours a week practice was going to get him better than he is now with elite NBA coaching?  Lol

Henry is what he is and came out exactly when he should have....no additional staying would change his lack of quickness and so so shooting.  He made w really smart business decision.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #15499 on: December 27, 2018, 06:33:53 PM »
Back to recruiting  news.......we continue to make Torrence a priority

https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/status/1078426035434196994?s=21