Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8724109 times)

Its DJOver

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 8/15/18
« Reply #14625 on: August 29, 2018, 08:06:10 AM »
If Nico OR Watts comes (and I think it's a big IF for either) it's easy to run a 3-guard (starting) set with Koby and M2N. Sure it's small, but Kobe is as big/bigger than Sacar was last year and we have enough size and talent up front now that it shouldn't be as much of a defensive liability as the midgets were.

The odd men out here are Elliot and Cain - and in particular Elliot - my guess is he transfers if we land Kobe or Watts. Cain stays so Wojo can go bigger if he wants/needs to.

I don't think that we'll see too many 3 guard sets for the next two years.  Our depth is in the frontcourt and if we go with a three guard set, then some combination of Sam playing out of position, Ed playing out of position, Joey playing out of position, and Theo not getting the starting role as a Junior would happen.  There will still be some scenarios that a 3 guard set will work.  Less than 30 seconds, tie game, don't need to worry about defensive liabilities, I would go with Nico/Watts, Markus, Koby, Sam, and Joey.  But for the most part, there are too many frontcourt players to use a 3 guard set.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #14626 on: August 29, 2018, 09:08:20 AM »
This year will be telling, but with his length, I think Elliott can play 1-3. I also think we may see more of him in tight games this year because he can be a difference maker on the defensive end.

Guys like GE are why I hope no one is playing more than 27 mpg this year. We have depth, we should use it not just because it's good for the team this year but because it keeps guys around in future years.

Also, while I'm hopeful he's a contributor, I'm not sold that McEwen will automatically jump ahead of Elliott in the pecking order. I felt like Elliott had some sophomore year JFB in him last year. The guy who hadn't put it all together, but still kept forcing his way onto the court because he did little things right & made positive contributions while flashing bigger potential.

I think we all kind of ran through the permutations of this in a different thread, but hey, silly season.

Has he put on any weight this summer? Wingspan is great, but if there's not some meat it's tough to bang with BE 3s.

That said, I think it's likely that if we land some 5-star kids someone gets run off (mind games and all, but mainly just because the role that was envisioned when they were recruited has changed). But that's the nature of the beast - you're recruiting kids trying to look into a crystal ball and tell them what the personnel/role situation will be 5 years into the future. That's why the transfer rate is what it is. I think everyone gets that, and it's too bad for kids when it doesn't work out like they think they might have hoped, but that's kind of life.

Having so much talent that someone has to leave is ultimately the sign of a good program, but it of course has costs.

But I think it's pretty unlikely we get either Nico or Watts so it's all probably a moot point and Greg has 20min+ nights as a junior and senior to look forward to. :-)
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

1SE

• All American
« Reply #14627 on: August 29, 2018, 09:17:18 AM »
I don't think that we'll see too many 3 guard sets for the next two years.  Our depth is in the frontcourt and if we go with a three guard set, then some combination of Sam playing out of position, Ed playing out of position, Joey playing out of position, and Theo not getting the starting role as a Junior would happen.  There will still be some scenarios that a 3 guard set will work.  Less than 30 seconds, tie game, don't need to worry about defensive liabilities, I would go with Nico/Watts, Markus, Koby, Sam, and Joey.  But for the most part, there are too many frontcourt players to use a 3 guard set.

Sure it depends on matchups, but there is no way that Nico/Watts and M2N aren't on the floor together most of the game if Nico/Watts comes. I think the "base 3" could depend on how (comparatively) good Koby is. 30 minutes each to Nico, M2N and 25 to Koby still has plenty of time for bigs.

but Nico/Watts ain't coming!
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14628 on: August 29, 2018, 09:20:43 AM »
Sure it depends on matchups, but there is no way that Nico/Watts and M2N aren't on the floor together most of the game if Nico/Watts comes. I think the "base 3" could depend on how (comparatively) good Koby is. 30 minutes each to Nico, M2N and 25 to Koby still has plenty of time for bigs.

Watts is very good. But I wouldn't consider him his enough to demand that he be on the floor most of the game next season. Could be,  but we should be very deep next season and I could see him being a bench player. Nico on the other hand
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #14629 on: August 29, 2018, 09:29:57 AM »

200 mpg - 30 for Nico/Watts - 30 for M2N - 25 for Koby = 115 mpg (left for frontcourt players).  Divided by Brendan, Theo, Ike, Sam, Joey, Jamal, Ed and Sacar would average less than 15 mpg.  This makes the bolded false.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 10:15:16 AM by Its DJOver »
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

MU8285

• Walk-On
« Reply #14630 on: August 29, 2018, 09:52:49 AM »
200 mpg - 30 for Nico/Watts - 30 for M2N - 25 for Koby = 115 mpg.  Divided by Brendan, Theo, Ike, Sam, Joey, Jamal, Ed and Sacar would average less than 15 mpg.  This makes the bolded false.

Actually he didn't say Nico and Watts, he said Nico or Watts.  So that makes 85, not 115.  Since you would expect 80 minutes to go to guards in a traditional two guard lineup, that one takes five minutes away from the bigs.  The problem would be more of having too many bigs and finding minutes for them all, as opposed to taking five minutes away from the group as a whole.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #14631 on: August 29, 2018, 10:07:04 AM »
Actually he didn't say Nico and Watts, he said Nico or Watts.  So that makes 85, not 115.  Since you would expect 80 minutes to go to guards in a traditional two guard lineup, that one takes five minutes away from the bigs.  The problem would be more of having too many bigs and finding minutes for them all, as opposed to taking five minutes away from the group as a whole.
115 minutes left, not 115 minutes used by those 3 players.

So you're assuming that Greg either red-shirts or transfers?  If you give 30 to M2N, 30 to a Freshman PG, 25 to Koby, even if Greg is okay with dropping from the 18 mpg he had as a Freshman to 15 mpg as a Junior that would be 100 minutes for the frontcourt.  Frontcourt should be getting at minimum the allotted 120, if not more, because I could see sets where we go big with Theo, Ed, Sam, Jamal, and a PG.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14632 on: August 29, 2018, 10:26:53 AM »
I think many are under rating Greg. He is the type of kid the Coaches want on the floor as much as possible and it was evident by the minutes he got last year as a freshman.

Greg has length and knows how to use it on defense, is super competitive and is a team oriented player. The kid literally had no handle last year due to the thumb injury and still performed very well.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 01:32:56 PM by Herman Cain »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14633 on: August 29, 2018, 10:29:29 AM »
I think many are under rating Greg. He is the type of kid the Coaches want on the floor as much as possible and it was evident by the minutes he got last year as a freshman.

Greg has length and knows how to use it on defensive , is super competitive and is a team oriented player. The kid literally had no handle last year due to the thumb injury and still performed very well.

Very possible. I am very intrigued to see what Greg's game is like with two working thumbs. One of our best defenders last season and showed promise with his jumpshoot. If he becomes a capable slasher on top of that...love the potential.
TAMU

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #14634 on: August 29, 2018, 10:54:14 AM »
When we land Rocket (not if), I call dibs on dropping a WATTS HAPPENING!!! gif.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #14635 on: August 29, 2018, 10:55:40 AM »

Guys like GE are why I hope no one is playing more than 27 mpg this year. We have depth, we should use it not just because it's good for the team this year but because it keeps guys around in future years.

I think this is an extremely important point and I believes Wojo feels the same.  If Coach K had/has a chink in his style, it's minutes were not spread around with the available talent. .   
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14636 on: August 29, 2018, 11:57:03 AM »
It's fun apportioning PT based on players who ain't here yet and might never get here!

But hey, it's what we do.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #14637 on: August 29, 2018, 12:08:36 PM »

Blair ‘19 Dexter Akanno (Los Angeles) has been offered by VA Tech. He will visit Marquette officially this weekend. @BTIHoops @roberticart
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14638 on: August 29, 2018, 12:32:21 PM »
Blair ‘19 Dexter Akanno (Los Angeles) has been offered by VA Tech. He will visit Marquette officially this weekend. @BTIHoops @roberticart
This is going to be the first of many more offers for Dexter. Hope we can close on the deal quickly .
            ---Al McGuire

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #14639 on: August 29, 2018, 12:39:13 PM »
Very possible. I am very intrigued to see what Greg's game is like with two working thumbs. One of our best defenders last season and showed promise with his jumpshoot. If he becomes a capable slasher on top of that...love the potential.

Greg (and Jamal), can be stars as seniors.  All both need is more time to add strength.  Neither will ever be stacked, but the gains that can happen from hard work over the next 2.5 years will add a lot of value to their games/abilities.

Both are ++ athletes...who also have proven to be pretty good shooters already, and Greg especially plays with a high BB IQ. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14640 on: August 29, 2018, 01:33:31 PM »
https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Basketball/RecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

247's new 2020 rankings are out, of interest to Marquette:

#6 Jalen Johnson
#16 MarJon Beauchamp
#17 Isaiah Jackson
#26 Johnny Juzang
#27 Dawson Garcia
#33 Julian Strawther
#34 Caleb Love
#40 Dalen Terry
#41 Nimari Burnett
#42 Lynn Greer III
#46 Jaylen Clark
#49 Cam'Ron Fletcher
#54 Symir Torrence
#57 Zeb Jackson (Big jump from last ranking)
#59 DJ Steward
#67 Isaiah Cottrell
#70 Dain Dainja (Big jump from last ranking)
#78 Ethan Morton
#90 Justin Lewis
#101 Reece Beekman
#108 Bryce Thompson (Big drop from last ranking)
#121 Jamari Sibley
UR Darlintone Dubar
UR Gabe Madsen
UR Desmond Polk
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 01:36:02 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14641 on: August 29, 2018, 01:49:53 PM »
https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Basketball/RecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

#6 Jalen Johnson
#16 MarJon Beauchamp
#17 Isaiah Jackson
#26 Johnny Juzang
#27 Dawson Garcia
#33 Julian Strawther
#34 Caleb Love
#40 Dalen Terry
#41 Nimari Burnett
#42 Lynn Greer III
#46 Jaylen Clark
#49 Cam'Ron Fletcher
#54 Symir Torrence
#59 DJ Steward
#67 Isaiah Cottrell
#78 Ethan Morton
#90 Justin Lewis
#101 Reece Beekman
#121 Jamari Sibley
UR Darlintone Dubar
UR Gabe Madsen
UR Desmond Polk
Would be great if we could move the Reece Beekman recruitment down the playing field as soon as possible. He has a long time interest in MU and could be a catalyst for getting some of the others from his team. Darlinstone is Dexter 2.0 and I would love to get him in the fold too.
            ---Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #14642 on: August 29, 2018, 03:29:46 PM »

#6 Jalen Johnson
#16 MarJon Beauchamp
#17 Isaiah Jackson
#26 Johnny Juzang
#27 Dawson Garcia
#33 Julian Strawther
#34 Caleb Love
#40 Dalen Terry
#41 Nimari Burnett
#42 Lynn Greer III
#46 Jaylen Clark
#49 Cam'Ron Fletcher
#54 Symir Torrence
#59 DJ Steward
#67 Isaiah Cottrell
#78 Ethan Morton
#90 Justin Lewis
#101 Reece Beekman
#121 Jamari Sibley
UR Darlintone Dubar
UR Gabe Madsen
UR Desmond Polk

4 Georgia kids in the top 20 - TC in the catbird seat?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14643 on: August 29, 2018, 04:34:43 PM »
Another Dexter offer just came through from New Mexico....
https://twitter.com/BTIHoops/status/1034904804647030784
            ---Al McGuire

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14644 on: August 29, 2018, 08:06:47 PM »
4 Georgia kids in the top 20 - TC in the catbird seat?

Lenny Man, it don't matta. Numb Nuts will soil himself regardless of talent, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #14645 on: August 29, 2018, 08:59:39 PM »

Lenny Man, it don't matta. Numb Nuts will soil himself regardless of talent, hey?

True dat.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #14646 on: August 29, 2018, 09:13:20 PM »
Wrong
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #14647 on: August 29, 2018, 09:23:32 PM »

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #14648 on: August 30, 2018, 03:11:14 AM »
Think it'll all depend on matchups. Against a bigger front court team, I could see Wojo trying 3-guard or even 4-guard lineups. Versatility is a good thing.

You'd be looking for a quickness advantage and the ability to draw big men out from the post to the perimeter -- where they're forced to guard shooters (Markus, Greg, Jamal, Sam) and slashers (Chartouny, Sacar) in space. Who knows where Joey fits into that. Is he a 3? A stretch 4? My guess is that he could play up to 3 positions, the same as Sam. God help our opponents if he shoots anything like his older brother.

On the other end, we should now have more players who can guard multiple positions: Chartouny, Greg, Sacar, Jamal, Sam, probably Ed and Joey, as well. Better perimeter defenders could also free up our inside players (Ed, Theo, maybe Ike) to become true lane enforcers.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14649 on: August 30, 2018, 07:48:49 AM »
Care to elaborate?

I will.  I think Wojo is going to use whatever lineups work given the match ups.  So yeah I think we will see lineups like GE, JC and Markus at times.  Furthermore with the offense that Wojo runs, there really isn't that much difference between a traditional 2 and 3.