Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8717068 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Recruiting as of 8/15/18
« Reply #14600 on: August 28, 2018, 12:07:50 AM »
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings

ESPN 2019 rankings updated, of note:

#11 Nico Mannion
#27 Rocket Watts Jr
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #14601 on: August 28, 2018, 08:12:24 AM »
Less than a third of the top 100 have verbally committed yet.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14602 on: August 28, 2018, 10:22:38 AM »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #14603 on: August 28, 2018, 11:20:45 AM »
MU has one key advantage among the four finalists for Mannion, in that we did not recruit a 2018 PG. All of the others recruited a very promising 2018 PG. Arizona , Brandon Williams, Villanova, Jahvon Quinerly, Duke, Tre Jones.
Nico will have to contend with McEwen.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #14604 on: August 28, 2018, 11:29:54 AM »
Nico will have to contend with McEwen.

I don't understand this line of thinking, not just for PGs, but for all positions.  Neither Nico or Koby would have the belief that they could or should play 40 mpg.  Yes they'll compete for who gets the starting role, but there will be enough minutes for two true PGs.  If we have the depth that we anticipate having for the next two years, no one should be averaging over 30 mpg.  Of the 40 mpg at PG, if one gets 22-25 and one gets 15-18, and throw in a couple possessions where they are both in, but obviously only one playing point, both Nico and Koby could average 20+ mpg.  I think that is reasonable, especially considering that Wojo is known for riding the hot hand, so if either of them are tearing it up, or either are in foul trouble, one could get 30 minutes in a particular game.  I highly doubt that Koby will be a large factor in Nicos decision.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #14605 on: August 28, 2018, 12:21:12 PM »
I don't understand this line of thinking, not just for PGs, but for all positions.  Neither Nico or Koby would have the belief that they could or should play 40 mpg.  Yes they'll compete for who gets the starting role, but there will be enough minutes for two true PGs.  If we have the depth that we anticipate having for the next two years, no one should be averaging over 30 mpg.  Of the 40 mpg at PG, if one gets 22-25 and one gets 15-18, and throw in a couple possessions where they are both in, but obviously only one playing point, both Nico and Koby could average 20+ mpg.  I think that is reasonable, especially considering that Wojo is known for riding the hot hand, so if either of them are tearing it up, or either are in foul trouble, one could get 30 minutes in a particular game.  I highly doubt that Koby will be a large factor in Nicos decision.

I agree usually but I'd say Elliott and Howard (especially the later being a senior with a slim hope to join the nba) would be the real competition to be worried about
Maigh Eo for Sam

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #14606 on: August 28, 2018, 12:31:58 PM »
I agree usually but I'd say Elliott and Howard (especially the later being a senior with a slim hope to join the nba) would be the real competition to be worried about

Did you miss this past season when Markus was constantly criticized for having no point guard skills.  I would hope that wouldn't scare Nico, especially if Markus plays very little PG this year, and Nico sees how effective JC is/hopes to be.

I'm very high on Greg being able to develop into a PG, but once again I don't think he would be much competition in 19-20.  If Nico is a one and done I could see a very interesting battle between Greg and Koby for the starting PG spot when they're Seniors, but that's so far off that we have very little idea what the roster will look like then.

Bottom line, our log jam is in the frontcourt.  There should be enough backcourt minutes to keep everyone happy/competitive.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #14607 on: August 28, 2018, 12:33:01 PM »
Rocket Watts news update
https://twitter.com/ThatGuy_Mondo/status/1034220798318272512
Is there any news on Watts as to when he might be narrowing down again? Are we even realistically recruiting him? Might have missed it in the past 585 pages, I know shame on me.

Anything I can find on the line has him down to 8 schools and we are not one of them but those lists are a few month old.

E$PN seemed to have updated the lists for all the recruits today, and we are on it, but I trust Judas more than E$PN
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 12:34:43 PM by LoudMouthMannion »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14608 on: August 28, 2018, 01:21:01 PM »
Is there any news on Watts as to when he might be narrowing down again? Are we even realistically recruiting him? Might have missed it in the past 585 pages, I know shame on me.

Anything I can find on the line has him down to 8 schools and we are not one of them but those lists are a few month old.

E$PN seemed to have updated the lists for all the recruits today, and we are on it, but I trust Judas more than E$PN

https://www.anonymouseagle.com/2018/8/10/17674600/marquette-golden-eagles-basketball-recruiting-mark-rocket-watts-top-nine

Watts dropped two schools from his top 8 and then added three new ones to make a new top 9. Since then, he has scheduled three official visits, we are not one of them.

No idea where we rank for Watts but the perception is that the six schools that were on both his top 8 and top 9 lists are the frontrunners. All three of the official visits he has scheduled so far are to schools from that list of six. Until we get an official, I won't be optimistic...though it should be noted that he has already taken an unofficial visit here so he might be saving his officials for schools he hasn't been able to get to yet.

In any case, him hanging out with Jamal Cain can only be a good thing.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #14609 on: August 28, 2018, 01:29:30 PM »
Did you miss this past season when Markus was constantly criticized for having no point guard skills.  I would hope that wouldn't scare Nico, especially if Markus plays very little PG this year, and Nico sees how effective JC is/hopes to be.

I'm very high on Greg being able to develop into a PG, but once again I don't think he would be much competition in 19-20.  If Nico is a one and done I could see a very interesting battle between Greg and Koby for the starting PG spot when they're Seniors, but that's so far off that we have very little idea what the roster will look like then.

Bottom line, our log jam is in the frontcourt.  There should be enough backcourt minutes to keep everyone happy/competitive.

Right I get he was criticized for that...as a sophomore. He's also trying to be a pro, do you believe he thinks he has a shot as an NBA 2 guard?

If I were a recruit I'd expect MH to be there trying to play some PG
Maigh Eo for Sam

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #14610 on: August 28, 2018, 01:33:52 PM »
https://www.anonymouseagle.com/2018/8/10/17674600/marquette-golden-eagles-basketball-recruiting-mark-rocket-watts-top-nine

Watts dropped two schools from his top 8 and then added three new ones to make a new top 9. Since then, he has scheduled three official visits, we are not one of them.

No idea where we rank for Watts but the perception is that the six schools that were on both his top 8 and top 9 lists are the frontrunners. All three of the official visits he has scheduled so far are to schools from that list of six. Until we get an official, I won't be optimistic...though it should be noted that he has already taken an unofficial visit here so he might be saving his officials for schools he hasn't been able to get to yet.

In any case, him hanging out with Jamal Cain can only be a good thing.
Thanks for catching me up. Won't hold my breathe on him for too long

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #14611 on: August 28, 2018, 02:51:52 PM »
Love Watts.  Size strength toughness athletism, good handle great range.  Kid is a pro.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14612 on: August 28, 2018, 07:12:11 PM »
I think our toughest competition for Dexter is going to be an Ivy League school. The club team he plays for has a long history of placing kids in the Ivy League and there are a few nosing around. Our offer gives Dexter creditionals as a player and if he does well this year at the Blair Prep school he may be able to make the Ivy Academic Index. Hopefully the MU official goes well and we can close the deal.
            ---Al McGuire

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #14613 on: August 28, 2018, 07:34:52 PM »
I think our toughest competition for Dexter is going to be an Ivy League school. The club team he plays for has a long history of placing kids in the Ivy League and there are a few nosing around. Our offer gives Dexter creditionals as a player and if he does well this year at the Blair Prep school he may be able to make the Ivy Academic Index. Hopefully the MU official goes well and we can close the deal.

You could be right Herman.  To me, Akanno is as big a priority as the other 3 guards mentioned in the 2019 class.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #14614 on: August 28, 2018, 07:55:48 PM »
Would Watts consider MU, if MU continues to recruit Nico? I am guessing that unless Nico eliminates us quickly we have no chance for Watts.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #14615 on: August 28, 2018, 08:03:42 PM »
Would Watts consider MU, if MU continues to recruit Nico? I am guessing that unless Nico eliminates us quickly we have no chance for Watts.

First man up, hey.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #14616 on: August 28, 2018, 08:12:39 PM »
First man up, hey.
Could be, but I am guessing Wojo would not guarantee Watts that he would stop recruiting Nico, if he thought he had a reasonable chance at getting Nico.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14617 on: August 28, 2018, 08:19:30 PM »
Could be, but I am guessing Wojo would not guarantee Watts that he would stop recruiting Nico, if he thought he had a reasonable chance at getting Nico.

If Watts commits tomorrow, Nico won't be coming here.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14618 on: August 28, 2018, 08:20:06 PM »
Most likely, they are telling all guards not named Nico that they are recruiting them as a combo guard.
            ---Al McGuire

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #14619 on: August 28, 2018, 08:24:28 PM »

If Watts commits tomorrow, Nico won't be coming here.
Nico is higher rated than Watts, so why would Watts scare him away?

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #14620 on: August 28, 2018, 08:37:58 PM »
Nico is higher rated than Watts, so why would Watts scare him away?
because if Rocket commits the coaching staff have clearly identified the path they are going down for that position. 

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #14621 on: August 28, 2018, 10:35:00 PM »
Disagree.  Watts can play the 2 and most likely projects as a combo or a two in college. 
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #14622 on: August 29, 2018, 06:34:55 AM »
Watts Twitter says he was in East Lansing yesterday.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

1SE

• All American
« Reply #14623 on: August 29, 2018, 07:23:04 AM »

If Nico OR Watts comes (and I think it's a big IF for either) it's easy to run a 3-guard (starting) set with Koby and M2N. Sure it's small, but Kobe is as big/bigger than Sacar was last year and we have enough size and talent up front now that it shouldn't be as much of a defensive liability as the midgets were.

The odd men out here are Elliot and Cain - and in particular Elliot - my guess is he transfers if we land Kobe or Watts. Cain stays so Wojo can go bigger if he wants/needs to.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14624 on: August 29, 2018, 07:46:08 AM »
The odd men out here are Elliot and Cain - and in particular Elliot - my guess is he transfers if we land Kobe or Watts. Cain stays so Wojo can go bigger if he wants/needs to.

This year will be telling, but with his length, I think Elliott can play 1-3. I also think we may see more of him in tight games this year because he can be a difference maker on the defensive end.

Guys like GE are why I hope no one is playing more than 27 mpg this year. We have depth, we should use it not just because it's good for the team this year but because it keeps guys around in future years.

Also, while I'm hopeful he's a contributor, I'm not sold that McEwen will automatically jump ahead of Elliott in the pecking order. I felt like Elliott had some sophomore year JFB in him last year. The guy who hadn't put it all together, but still kept forcing his way onto the court because he did little things right & made positive contributions while flashing bigger potential.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback