[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8464851 times)

Its DJOver

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 7/15/18
« Reply #14325 on: August 13, 2018, 07:58:32 AM »
The kids from recruiting classes 2 and 3 and 4 years out are watching everything Mannion and other blue chips do. When he posts a pic of himself taking a jumper in a MU jersey, those that look up to him and want to be like him see themselves in that jersey too. Is the impact huge? Probably not, but if it causes a kid to take a look at MU who would otherwise never have considered it you never know. There are dozens of schools going after top kids - anything that opens the door a little certainly helps.
While I don't think this is incorrect, I think the impact is far less substantial than you imply. I haven't seen the latest version of the Power Point, but I would have to think that the PG version is more along the lines of "look what I just got out of a previously un-ranked PG.  Just think what you could accomplish here", and less "see that 5* PG for Kansas or Kentucky? I recruited him, even made the final list, now please commit to MU".  You sell your program on your current and former players and successes, not your former targets.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14326 on: August 13, 2018, 08:15:01 AM »
While I don't think this is incorrect, I think the impact is far less substantial than you imply. I haven't seen the latest version of the Power Point, but I would have to think that the PG version is more along the lines of "look what I just got out of a previously un-ranked PG.  Just think what you could accomplish here", and less "see that 5* PG for Kansas or Kentucky? I recruited him, even made the final list, now please commit to MU".  You sell your program on your current and former players and successes, not your former targets.

Exactly. 

Jayson Tatum had SLU in his final four.  Did that really do anything for them?
Harry Giles had Wake Forest

There are multiple cases like this with top 20 guys every year.  I don't think it matters much at all.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #14327 on: August 13, 2018, 08:22:48 AM »
Having alot of aau experience i think the effect of recruiting the big players yet losing them does have a positive affect on future recruits.  My experience is different than some of the assumed positive effects that many have described. 
Where i have seen positive downstream effects is within the aau programs that the recruits participate for.  By having coaches recruiting a particular player and demonstrating that they run a class program and doing all the right things it has a very positive future effect on the coaches.  Should that program come around again there is a built up trust and comfort level that the coaches will also convey to the player and the parents.  Additionally, they may even reach out early to those coaches advising that they have an up and comer or a young gem that they should come and take a look at.  Also,  the younger players see what coaches are recruiting the older players and that can have a lasting effect on those younger players ie.  Becoming exposed to a program at a younger age and prossibly becoming a young fan of a school other than duke, kansas, kentucky, etc.  just by seeing those guys around and by seeing guys they look up to and who is recuiting them.  My rxperience is the exposure simply helps, goes up exponentially if a school does sign a player from the program
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14328 on: August 13, 2018, 08:59:23 AM »
Having alot of aau experience i think the effect of recruiting the big players yet losing them does have a positive affect on future recruits.  My experience is different than some of the assumed positive effects that many have described. 
Where i have seen positive downstream effects is within the aau programs that the recruits participate for.  By having coaches recruiting a particular player and demonstrating that they run a class program and doing all the right things it has a very positive future effect on the coaches.  Should that program come around again there is a built up trust and comfort level that the coaches will also convey to the player and the parents.  Additionally, they may even reach out early to those coaches advising that they have an up and comer or a young gem that they should come and take a look at.  Also,  the younger players see what coaches are recruiting the older players and that can have a lasting effect on those younger players ie.  Becoming exposed to a program at a younger age and prossibly becoming a young fan of a school other than duke, kansas, kentucky, etc.  just by seeing those guys around and by seeing guys they look up to and who is recuiting them.  My rxperience is the exposure simply helps, goes up exponentially if a school does sign a player from the program

I agree with this, but I think that's with any recruit, not just a 5 star, blue chip recruit.  For example, my guess is that Elliott, Cain, and maybe Eke (I think he played for the same AAU program?) being at/recruited by Marquette has played a big factor in Watts giving Marquette a serious look, and while Cain and Elliott are nice players and hopefully Eke becomes one, they aren't some stud players.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14329 on: August 13, 2018, 09:06:14 AM »
Again, I think it's fun that folks on both sides of this argument are claiming to know what's going on in the heads of 16-year-old basketball players.

Neither sultan nor Lenny has any idea if Grimes having us among his final group somehow affected the thought patterns of other recruits.

But I'm enjoying the show.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #14330 on: August 13, 2018, 09:12:11 AM »
I agree with this, but I think that's with any recruit, not just a 5 star, blue chip recruit.  For example, my guess is that Elliott, Cain, and maybe Eke (I think he played for the same AAU program?) being at/recruited by Marquette has played a big factor in Watts giving Marquette a serious look, and while Cain and Elliott are nice players and hopefully Eke becomes one, they aren't some stud players.

Cain, Elliott and Ike are 4 year players at MU.  This is the type of kid MU really needs to recruit.  Second tier.  They keep a program going.  This year I would be shooting
to the moon on trying to get a 4 or 5 star recruit in since MU has 11 solid kids back next year.  Now the following year, will make a difference when they lose 3 or even
4 starters.  The one concern I have is that Anim will be 5 year senior, does he go to greener pastures if he does not get enough playing time this year?  If so, they really
need to find at least 1 recruit this year.  Not sure a grad transfer sees enough time to transfer to MU, so 1 recruit is important to keep program going.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #14331 on: August 13, 2018, 09:16:32 AM »

I think I was being pretty modest of my claims on impact! I don't think anyone is making their decision based on who we get shortlisted for, or that these shortlistings make the powerpoint, but there may well be some diffuse effect based on some HS freshman who follows Mannion saying "oh, Marquette, I'll take a look at that program". Or more likely via the AAU effect Sand-Knit mentioned (but that's still a network effect!).
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14332 on: August 13, 2018, 09:19:10 AM »
I would like to amplify the points Mr. Sand-Knit makes, based on my experience having 3 of my kids go through D1 recruiting process in recent years. Exposure to, and building trust with, recruits accumulates over time.  The final part of the process is a bit like making sausage, tastes good but you really don't want to see it being made. It is not done until the NLI is signed or the kid is enrolled in the school.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #14333 on: August 13, 2018, 09:32:51 AM »
I think I was being pretty modest of my claims on impact! I don't think anyone is making their decision based on who we get shortlisted for, or that these shortlistings make the powerpoint, but there may well be some diffuse effect based on some HS freshman who follows Mannion saying "oh, Marquette, I'll take a look at that program". Or more likely via the AAU effect Sand-Knit mentioned (but that's still a network effect!).

But is there actually any evidence of this? 

After making Iman Shumpert's short list for the 2008 class and just missing out, the next two recruits we got from the area were Reggie Smith in 2010, who was actually closer to Indiana, and Steve Taylor in 2012.  Now I'm not saying that it can't happen, and as 82 likes to point out, we don't know what going on in these kids heads, but unless we can actually see a scenario where a blue chipper snubbing a program results in another recruit picking them years down the line, I'll remain skeptical.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14334 on: August 13, 2018, 09:40:11 AM »
EJ Liddell is cutting his list to 6 today at 1 PM. I haven't heard us mentioned with him in a while so I doubt we make the cut but this would eliminate all doubt. Would certainly love to make the cut, he looks like a great talent.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #14335 on: August 13, 2018, 09:41:49 AM »
But is there actually any evidence of this? 

After making Iman Shumpert's short list for the 2008 class and just missing out, the next two recruits we got from the area were Reggie Smith in 2010, who was actually closer to Indiana, and Steve Taylor in 2012.  Now I'm not saying that it can't happen, and as 82 likes to point out, we don't know what going on in these kids heads, but unless we can actually see a scenario where a blue chipper snubbing a program results in another recruit picking them years down the line, I'll remain skeptical.

Watt and Mannion have players they know on the team or parents which makes a big difference, I have always said, Watts will take an official at MU just to hang with
his friends.  I am sure Mannion knows Markus and maybe even Bailey.  Now the other two kids probably know nobody on the team so I feel that hurts in the long run.
But you never know.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14336 on: August 13, 2018, 09:46:30 AM »
Watt and Mannion have players they know on the team or parents which makes a big difference, I have always said, Watts will take an official at MU just to hang with
his friends.  I am sure Mannion knows Markus and maybe even Bailey.  Now the other two kids probably know nobody on the team so I feel that hurts in the long run.
But you never know.

Nico definitely knows Bailey. He might know Markus.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #14337 on: August 13, 2018, 09:48:04 AM »
But you never know.

But that's a different scenario, we closed the door on the Detroit Trio, as well as Markus and Brendan.  Would Nico and Watts be as interested if all the aforementioned players didn't choose MU? I don't know, but based on the limited number of visits a prospect gets, I don't think Watts would waste one just to spend time with some of his old buddies.  If we get a visit from him, it'll be because we're a legit contender for him. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 09:56:16 AM by Its DJOver »

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #14338 on: August 13, 2018, 09:52:53 AM »
We have been out for Liddell for a long time.

From Eric Bossi on Mannion

Mannion hasn't yet set any official dates, but those should be coming in the near future. In the meantime, it's hard not to like Arizona as the favorite in this one. They have targeted Mannion for some time, he's local and going off of everything that I've heard behind the scenes, Sean Miller and the Wildcats are going to be tough to beat.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14339 on: August 13, 2018, 10:12:24 AM »
I am sure Mannion knows Markus and maybe even Bailey.

Nico's father Pace Mannion has been friends with Thurl Bailey (Brendan's father) for decades. They worked together broadcasting Utah Jazz games.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.deseretnews.com/article/700018772/Pace-Mannion-and-Thurl-Bailey-began-friendship-at-83-NCAA-tourney.amp
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14340 on: August 13, 2018, 10:37:09 AM »
Sean Miller and the Wildcats are going to be tough to beat.

Especially if Mannion likes his $100K in unmarked 20s.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #14341 on: August 13, 2018, 11:11:49 AM »
Again, I think it's fun that folks on both sides of this argument are claiming to know what's going on in the heads of 16-year-old basketball players.

Neither sultan nor Lenny has any idea if Grimes having us among his final group somehow affected the thought patterns of other recruits.

But I'm enjoying the show.

exactly.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #14342 on: August 13, 2018, 11:18:06 AM »
Especially if Mannion likes his $100K in unmarked 20s.

Well done.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #14343 on: August 13, 2018, 11:53:22 AM »
This sort of reminds me of the Gabe York recruitment.  We we're in a big name until the end, but it never quite felt for real.  And then he went to AZ. 

I am far from sold on this being a real thing, but I really hope it is. Would be a FANTASTIC get. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #14344 on: August 13, 2018, 12:00:08 PM »
This sort of reminds me of the Gabe York recruitment.  We we're in a big name until the end, but it never quite felt for real.  And then he went to AZ. 

I am far from sold on this being a real thing, but I really hope it is. Would be a FANTASTIC get.
Problem with York is that Buzz was working Kris Dunn hard at the same time.  Alas, we didn’t get either one.  Sometimes it’s just better to focus.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #14345 on: August 13, 2018, 12:39:47 PM »
Problem with York is that Buzz was working Kris Dunn hard at the same time.  Alas, we didn’t get either one.  Sometimes it’s just better to focus.

I believe buzz left dunn to flap in the wind while he pursued york
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14346 on: August 13, 2018, 01:19:37 PM »

So Mannion is interested because Gabe York chose AZ over MU?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14347 on: August 13, 2018, 01:31:50 PM »
DePaul is focusing on local Chicago talent just received Terrence Shannon 2019 commitment.

https://247sports.com/college/depaul/Article/DePaul-lands-four-star-wing-Terrence-Shannon-120610296/

Really hope MU can land a couple of the local Phenom University kids.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #14348 on: August 13, 2018, 01:37:37 PM »
So Mannion is interested because Gabe York chose AZ over MU?

Huh?  That's not what I said.

I just said this reminds me of the York recruitment from MU's perspective. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #14349 on: August 13, 2018, 01:38:27 PM »
After York visited Buzz thought they had him from what I've heard. Unfortunately after he visited AZ that changed quickly.

If Mannion is already an AZ lean that doesn't bode well but you just try to get him.on campus and hope he bonds with the other players and seee what happens.