'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by willie warrior
[Today at 03:50:16 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8339850 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 7/15/18
« Reply #14275 on: August 11, 2018, 03:09:49 PM »
Well we made the cut for Mannion......competition is fairly tough though.....

https://twitter.com/coreyevans_10/status/1028343416898367491?s=21

I'd love to see that Final Four the first weekend in April!

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14276 on: August 11, 2018, 05:17:25 PM »
The camera angle in the highlight reel embedded in this story gives a good visual of Mannion's abilities.
https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball/2018/8/11/17679128/nico-mannion-arizona-villanova-duke-marquette-basketball-recruiting-2019-final-4-commits

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #14277 on: August 11, 2018, 06:09:47 PM »
Marquette should have fired the bum at least 3 years ago. Can't recruit his way out of a paper bag. Hank hurt more than he helped. Squirmy "smoke and mirrors" irreparably damaged our brand. Joey chose MU only because of Sam, who chose MU only because F%cky was stoopid. Markus chose MU only because of Stan. The Michigan kids are too skinny. Bailey can't be any good because he wasn't ranked in the top 25.

Any recruiting success = Stan.

Any recruiting failure = Wojo.
This sums it up perfectly. Just waiting for the YouTube of Stan eating lasagna dinner at some recruit’s house.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #14278 on: August 11, 2018, 09:09:08 PM »
Well we made the cut for Mannion......competition is fairly tough though.....

https://twitter.com/coreyevans_10/status/1028343416898367491?s=21

I'm happy we made the cut, even if we lose out in the end. Some on Scoop would disagree, but I think being a finalist for a blue chipper is good news no matter the outcome.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14279 on: August 11, 2018, 09:27:45 PM »
I'm happy we made the cut, even if we lose out in the end. Some on Scoop would disagree, but I think being a finalist for a blue chipper is good news no matter the outcome.

From a resources perspective it would be better to be cut here then to be cut later.

From a perception of our staff's recruiting ability perspective its better to cut later then to be cut here.

Both pale in comparison to actually landing the damn kid.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #14280 on: August 11, 2018, 09:52:59 PM »
From a resources perspective it would be better to be cut here then to be cut later.

From a resources perspective it would be better to only recruit 3 guys a year and land them all.

I'd rather have a shot at the best players - that doesn't mean you don't have a back up plan to include lesser players.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14281 on: August 11, 2018, 10:03:49 PM »

From a perception of our staff's recruiting ability perspective its better to cut later then to be cut here.

We have limited opportunities to get blue chip recruits. So it’s worth the resources to chase when there is a possibility.Our coaching staff does a good job closing when it gets to the final stage. When the program returns to where it was in the Crean Buzz era from a results perspective , this coaching staff will generate more blue chip opportunities. In the meantime we have to have a high success rate with the Theos , Greg Elliotts and Jamal Cain’s who have high ceilings with good coaching .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14282 on: August 11, 2018, 10:11:53 PM »
From a resources perspective it would be better to only recruit 3 guys a year and land them all.

I'd rather have a shot at the best players - that doesn't mean you don't have a back up plan to include lesser players.

This is all true. And none of it disagrees with anything I said in the post you quoted.
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14283 on: August 11, 2018, 11:56:32 PM »

Agree with both of these statements.

Very happy with the recruiting ability of Wojo and his assistants.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #14284 on: August 12, 2018, 08:31:09 AM »
This is all true. And none of it disagrees with anything I said in the post you quoted.

Where I disagree, brother TAMU, is that IMO there are ancillary benefits to being a finalist for the top players that are positives for a program even when you don't land the big fish. It's good publicity to be in the "final four" with Nova, Duke and Kentucky or the final 3 with Michigan and MSU for a blue chipper. Conversely, it's bad optics when our top targets don't include us in their final 8, 9 or 10. Perception matters.

I know it's not a perfect analogy, but has anyone ever said "Good news! We got knocked out in the Sweet 16. We weren't going to win it all anyway, now we won't waste all those resources going to the Final Four"? My point is that success "advancing" in the battle for top recruits is success, getting cut early is not. We have plenty of resources, enough that we don't have to celebrate or "spin" bad news.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14285 on: August 12, 2018, 10:19:30 AM »
Where I disagree, brother TAMU, is that IMO there are ancillary benefits to being a finalist for the top players that are positives for a program even when you don't land the big fish. It's good publicity to be in the "final four" with Nova, Duke and Kentucky or the final 3 with Michigan and MSU for a blue chipper. Conversely, it's bad optics when our top targets don't include us in their final 8, 9 or 10. Perception matters.

I know it's not a perfect analogy, but has anyone ever said "Good news! We got knocked out in the Sweet 16. We weren't going to win it all anyway, now we won't waste all those resources going to the Final Four"? My point is that success "advancing" in the battle for top recruits is success, getting cut early is not. We have plenty of resources, enough that we don't have to celebrate or "spin" bad news.
All these kids know each other so there is a word of mouth element that has a way of working to MU's  benefit when we are in the finals of these top prospects consistently year after year.  Recruiting is competitive , however we have a lot to offer and our coaches sell it well.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14286 on: August 12, 2018, 10:32:39 AM »

Although that is a very imperfect analogy, Lenny, I do get what you are saying.

I want Wojo to battle for every recruit. If there's a reasonable chance of landing the recruit, Wojo should pull out all the stops; and I do trust that Wojo knows when he has a "reasonable chance."

I do agree with TAMU that at some point, you get the vibe that "he's not that into me" and you move on. Silly to waste precious time (and money) on pursuits that will be unfruitful.

But yes, in general, I think it's better to be in every recruit's final 8 or final 4 or final 2 because I do agree it communicates to the basketball world that Marquette is a major player. And maybe, just maybe, a couple of them will choose MU for various reasons.

Again, I'm quite happy with the recruiting of Wojo & Co. If his on-court coaching (which I do think has improved) catches up with his recruiting prowess, we will enjoy great success as a program for years and years to come.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #14287 on: August 12, 2018, 10:41:56 AM »
Although that is a very imperfect analogy, Lenny, I do get what you are saying.

I want Wojo to battle for every recruit. If there's a reasonable chance of landing the recruit, Wojo should pull out all the stops; and I do trust that Wojo knows when he has a "reasonable chance."

I do agree with TAMU that at some point, you get the vibe that "he's not that into me" and you move on. Silly to waste precious time (and money) on pursuits that will be unfruitful.

But yes, in general, I think it's better to be in every recruit's final 8 or final 4 or final 2 because I do agree it communicates to the basketball world that Marquette is a major player. And maybe, just maybe, a couple of them will choose MU for various reasons.

Again, I'm quite happy with the recruiting of Wojo & Co. If his on-court coaching (which I do think has improved) catches up with his recruiting prowess, we will enjoy great success as a program for years and years to come.

Well said, Mike.

I'm sure Wojo & Co. are disappointed when a target doesn't include us among his finalists. They would laugh at the "This is actually good news" spinners.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #14288 on: August 12, 2018, 10:49:37 AM »
The longer we are included in high profile targets pared down lists the more free publicity Marquette gets and the B.B. program.  So that is good.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14289 on: August 12, 2018, 11:23:11 AM »

Here's why the analogy doesn't work for me. When it comes to recruiting, you probably start with 30 targets that will have you on their ridiculous list of 19 schools. Say you may 12 final lists, that is 12 visits to schedule, to plan, and to pay for. That is 12 recruits you have to criss cross the country following. And in my opinion, because you spread yourself so thin, it is probably less likely you are able to give the attention to the ones you really want, especially when you only have 2 scholarships.

In the NCAA Tournament, there is one goal, winning it all. There is no other distraction, no downside to putting all your eggs in that basket. Recruiting is the opposite. If you go all in and miss your top target, you may lose your second target as a consequence because they see they aren't your priority. And the more targets, the less you are able to maintain focus.

At this point, I'm glad to be on 4 lists for 2 scholarships. That's a good number and it's easier to manage than if DJ Carton, Caleb Mills, Samuell Williamson, and Jalen Wilson all still had us listed and were stretching out their recruitments, with the knowledge we weren't going to get any of them.

Yes, you want top players, but you also want attainable players, and the more your resources are stretched thin, the less likely you'll get any of the guys got really want.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 11:24:54 AM by brewcity77 »
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #14290 on: August 12, 2018, 11:31:38 AM »
Brew, trust Wojo to put in the appropriate effort on each individual kid.  He understands when he's 10th out of 10.  Don't sweat it brother.  This stuff doesn't happen in a vacuum with no ongoing communication. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14291 on: August 12, 2018, 11:42:05 AM »

For the second time,  all true and doesn't disagree with anything I said in the original post.

No one is disagreeing that there aren't benefits to making a recruits final list.  It is also true that that getting cut early allows you to reallocate resources to other recruits. This is all anyone has ever said on this topic.

I'm ecstatic that weve made four final lists this week, as is every other poster on this board. No one is happy when we get cut from a recruits list which is what you have clsimed in multiple posts this week.

They would laugh at the "This is actually good news" spinners.

No one has claimed that it is good news. Just pointed out a silver lining in bad news.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 11:47:18 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14292 on: August 12, 2018, 11:44:18 AM »
Double post
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14293 on: August 12, 2018, 01:06:52 PM »
Brew, trust Wojo to put in the appropriate effort on each individual kid.  He understands when he's 10th out of 10.  Don't sweat it brother.  This stuff doesn't happen in a vacuum with no ongoing communication.

I'm not sweating anything. When we were after Grimes, we were able to bring the full staff to games and visits. That's not nearly as easy to do if he's one of five guys for that one spot. Especially if you feel you really need to get at least one of those other guys if you miss the top target.

It's simple physics. If you want to watch multiple guys the same day, you can't put a full staff in from of anyone. Making a list for the sake of making a list ultimately gives little tangible benefit and could cost you other recruits. That's why I'd rather be knocked out of a recruitment early than lose it late. Yes, you'd always rather win, but if it's going to be a loss, an early loss is better than a late loss.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #14294 on: August 12, 2018, 01:11:00 PM »
No Big Daddy for a while. Hope he is doing well.
Goal is National Championship

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #14295 on: August 12, 2018, 01:21:51 PM »

In the last 10 days or so:

We have made the final 4 teams four a Five Star recruit
Final 6 teams for a Four Star recruit
Final 9 teams for a Four / Five star recruit
Final 10 teams for a Four star recruit

We may land none, but we are in the conversation.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14296 on: August 12, 2018, 01:25:38 PM »
Here's why the analogy doesn't work for me. When it comes to recruiting, you probably start with 30 targets that will have you on their ridiculous list of 19 schools. Say you may 12 final lists, that is 12 visits to schedule, to plan, and to pay for. That is 12 recruits you have to criss cross the country following. And in my opinion, because you spread yourself so thin, it is probably less likely you are able to give the attention to the ones you really want, especially when you only have 2 scholarships.

In the NCAA Tournament, there is one goal, winning it all. There is no other distraction, no downside to putting all your eggs in that basket. Recruiting is the opposite. If you go all in and miss your top target, you may lose your second target as a consequence because they see they aren't your priority. And the more targets, the less you are able to maintain focus.

At this point, I'm glad to be on 4 lists for 2 scholarships. That's a good number and it's easier to manage than if DJ Carton, Caleb Mills, Samuell Williamson, and Jalen Wilson all still had us listed and were stretching out their recruitments, with the knowledge we weren't going to get any of them.

Yes, you want top players, but you also want attainable players, and the more your resources are stretched thin, the less likely you'll get any of the guys got really want.
On these higher profile recruits it is relatively easier to know when to stop dedicating resources. Were it gets tricky is in the guys in that next tier when your dealing with multiple players all of who are attainable.  So for example, do you spend your time on a Terrence Lewis or a Greg Elliott, Cain etc.? With the knowledge you can't be all things to all people.  I think our staff does a good job of making those resource allocation choices and weighing the probabilities of success.   Hopefully we can get to the finals with 4 or 5 kids and that turns into two commits.
                       ---Al McGuire

onepost

• All American
« Reply #14297 on: August 12, 2018, 01:50:54 PM »
No Big Daddy for a while. Hope he is doing well.

I can't remember a Big Daddy post since Quentin Grimes' recruitment way back when, when he said he'd share what all went down there.

I know he took exception to some dumbasses on this board criticizing him because God forbid not everyone we're linked to ends up committing here.  Such a bummer, I hope he rejoins the board sometime.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #14298 on: August 12, 2018, 02:29:29 PM »
I can't remember a Big Daddy post since Quentin Grimes' recruitment way back when, when he said he'd share what all went down there.

I know he took exception to some dumbasses on this board criticizing him because God forbid not everyone we're linked to ends up committing here.  Such a bummer, I hope he rejoins the board sometime.

Time heals.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #14299 on: August 12, 2018, 02:59:43 PM »

He has posted since then.  Look up his profile and it will display all posts in reverse chronological (i.e., newest first) order IIRC.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

feedback