[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8457525 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 11/15/17
« Reply #11625 on: December 08, 2017, 06:44:04 AM »
Marquette will be at Hargrave (VA) next week. Reached out today to 2018 Connor Crabtree about watching him workout.

6-5 wing.

I’m game for this.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #11626 on: December 08, 2017, 06:52:22 AM »
Do we really need another wing in lieu of a PG?
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11627 on: December 08, 2017, 06:55:21 AM »
Do we really need another wing in lieu of a PG?

Agreed. And kid is currently committed to UNC-Asheville. Don't love the look of this.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

YoungMUFan4

• All American
« Reply #11628 on: December 08, 2017, 07:17:08 AM »
Agreed. And kid is currently committed to UNC-Asheville. Don't love the look of this.

I think he signed with them in 2016 (http://www.uncabulldogs.com/news/2016/11/21/mens-basketball-mens-hoops-signs-two-players-last-week.aspx) and then decided to do a year of post-grad at Hargrave.  Not sure he is still committed to them

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11629 on: December 08, 2017, 07:56:27 AM »
I trust that, like last year when we needed size and athleticism and Wojo addressed that, Wojo understands what his roster needs going into next year and has either seen that Howard and Elliott will be capable of handling the point guard duties or believes this kid could play some point guard.  He has a solid handle (not flashy but can go both right and left) and looks like a good passer.  Pretty athletic, anticipates and shoots passing lanes well, decent jumper (though I don't like how he pulls back after the release).  I think this kid could be a pretty solid high major player.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #11630 on: December 08, 2017, 08:27:51 AM »

If you watch the kids senior year video, he's a pretty talented player.  Can handle the ball, shoot, pass, will get on the boards and might be Hargrave's leading scorer right now.  Has a little flare to his game. 

http://hargravesports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6076&path=pgbball
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11631 on: December 08, 2017, 08:48:41 AM »
I think he signed with them in 2016 (http://www.uncabulldogs.com/news/2016/11/21/mens-basketball-mens-hoops-signs-two-players-last-week.aspx) and then decided to do a year of post-grad at Hargrave.  Not sure he is still committed to them

Glanced quick this morning, looks correct. Signed a NLI in 2016 to attend in 2017, but then reclassified with the year at Hargrave and opened up his recruitment. I guess if the staff thinks he can play the point, worth kicking the tires as a late signing period guy. That said, I'd prefer a grad transfer who had D1 experience for that last scholarship. Considering the hope was that Grimes would be in that spot, I think the only way to get a player with close to that level of impact is the immediately-eligible transfer market. I mean, unless you can somehow get back with Ramey (that looks dead) or Jahvon Quinerly.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #11632 on: December 08, 2017, 08:58:00 AM »
If you watch the kids senior year video, he's a pretty talented player.  Can handle the ball, shoot, pass, will get on the boards and might be Hargrave's leading scorer right now.  Has a little flare to his game. 

http://hargravesports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6076&path=pgbball

Agreed. Kid looks pretty good. Uses his length really well and definitely ran the point for his high school team.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #11633 on: December 08, 2017, 10:18:39 AM »
People think quinerly is going to ve eligible?
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11634 on: December 08, 2017, 10:35:40 AM »
People think quinerly is going to ve eligible?

I would doubt it, but I'm saying if you can't get a high-impact guy like that, I'd rather go for a grad transfer. And I have no reason to think we'd pursue Quinerly even if he were eligible.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #11635 on: December 08, 2017, 10:45:09 AM »
I would doubt it, but I'm saying if you can't get a high-impact guy like that, I'd rather go for a grad transfer. And I have no reason to think we'd pursue Quinerly even if he were eligible.

I would have to recruit a real quality player,  if you pick another player up that will leave the classes unbalanced.  grad recruit is fine, but I was told they are on a few
good kids in 2019 and if they sign another high school kid, it only leaves one scholy for 2019, so they kid has to be really good to do that.  Then it is oversigning again
which I hate to do.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #11636 on: December 08, 2017, 10:47:55 AM »
Glanced quick this morning, looks correct. Signed a NLI in 2016 to attend in 2017, but then reclassified with the year at Hargrave and opened up his recruitment. I guess if the staff thinks he can play the point, worth kicking the tires as a late signing period guy. That said, I'd prefer a grad transfer who had D1 experience for that last scholarship. Considering the hope was that Grimes would be in that spot, I think the only way to get a player with close to that level of impact is the immediately-eligible transfer market. I mean, unless you can somehow get back with Ramey (that looks dead) or Jahvon Quinerly.

Could just be that they've decided Markus is going to run the show next 2 years for better or worse. The guy is locked in and improves every year, so if Wojo said spend the summer working on your point guard instincts/passing ability, I wouldn't bet against him being one of the best PGs in the nation next year.  That might have been their thought with the post-grimes year anyway.  I think we are past the point in the Wojo era where he can sell all the shots and all the playing time you want (or others see it that way). I see us much farther down the transfer list destination rankings for potential top-flight players.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #11637 on: December 08, 2017, 10:53:59 AM »
Even if Markus is going to run the show you need depth there. He will be a junior next season....as of right now we have 2 guards on the team for 2018 2019........Elliott and Markus. That isn't enough.

Now could Cain play the 2? Maybe...and our forwards will have diverse skill sets but you still need primary ball handlers......Wojo said down the road Elliott could develop into 1 of those guys....but he can't do it now. Next year maybe?

Still need a point guard to backup and sometimes play with Markus.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11638 on: December 08, 2017, 10:55:30 AM »
Even if Markus is going to run the show you need depth there. He will be a junior next season....as of right now we have 2 guards on the team for 2018 2019........Elliott and Markus. That isn't enough.

Now could Cain play the 2? Maybe...and our forwards will have diverse skill sets but you still need primary ball handlers......Wojo said down the road Elliott could develop into 1 of those guys....but he can't do it now. Next year maybe?

Still need a point guard to backup and sometimes play with Markus.

This exactly. Someone has to play alongside Howard, and a grad transfer, whether a true point or combo that can play point, would be ideal. That also leaves those spots open for 2019 to help balance the classes.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #11639 on: December 08, 2017, 11:19:42 AM »
Could just be that they've decided Markus is going to run the show next 2 years for better or worse. The guy is locked in and improves every year, so if Wojo said spend the summer working on your point guard instincts/passing ability, I wouldn't bet against him being one of the best PGs in the nation next year.  That might have been their thought with the post-grimes year anyway.  I think we are past the point in the Wojo era where he can sell all the shots and all the playing time you want (or others see it that way). I see us much farther down the transfer list destination rankings for potential top-flight players.

Markus being one of the best point guards in the nation next year = MH2NBA.  The pros will love his shot, Curry's seen to that, so you'd have to cancell the two year plan.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11640 on: December 08, 2017, 11:23:10 AM »
Markus being one of the best point guards in the nation next year = MH2NBA.  The pros will love his shot, Curry's seen to that, so you'd have to cancell the two year plan.

Curry measured out at 6' 2" and    6' 3.25 w shoes on at the NBA combine.

MU lists Markus at 5'11" so he is probably shorter. A better comp could be DJ Augustin who was 5'10" w/o shoes (Markus is a better shooter).

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #11641 on: December 08, 2017, 11:47:19 AM »
Well the reality is, no grad transfer worth taking minutes away from developing Elliott/Sacar/Cain is going to come here if Markus is playing point 35+ min a game. So either we get a B/C level grad transfer who knows they are going to play a backup niche role (10m/game across 1/2 positions) which is fine, or we keep developing 4 year guys.  I'm just past the one year thing from a development/program standpoint unless it's a game changer. I agree we need more depth at the PG, but I don't think they'll just take a marginal 1 year guy to add depth, might as well try to develop and get some minutes from Elliott and a new kid. Really don't see us landing a top flight guy at PG until Markus is gone.

The Crabtree kid might be a flyer, but he did play point in HS.
http://www.hillsborough-sports.com/2017/02/26/crabtree-confirms-high-school-career-is-over-orange-prepares-for-nghs/

Also has started the season hot and can seemingly shoot the ball.
http://hargravesports.com/news/2017/10/30/postgraduate-basketball-tigers-start-season-with-2-0-weekend.aspx

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #11642 on: December 08, 2017, 12:42:52 PM »
Well the reality is, no grad transfer worth taking minutes away from developing Elliott/Sacar/Cain is going to come here if Markus is playing point 35+ min a game.

I don't think this is true.  Katin came here knowing that AR who had a rep as a prolific scorer would be eligible and knowing that Markus who when reclassified would have been a top 30 recruit were both on the team.  Add to that you had Haanif who was playing 35 min per game, second on the team in scoring, at guard.  There is much more opportunity for a combo guard like KR on the 2018/2019 MU team than there was for the real KR when he signed in the spring of 2016.  Add to that Wojo can sell that the 2018/2019 team should expect to be ranked most of the season and have a real shot at a deep 2019 Tournament run.  All those would be strong selling points for a Grad Transfer combo guard to play his last year of college ball.  If they are out there we'll have as good a shot as anyone.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11643 on: December 08, 2017, 12:52:41 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klyBwB0IgJo

Most recent video I could find of Mr. Crabtree. High flyer type, seems to be able to shoot but seems like he has a weird hitch in his shot. Hargrave is a quality program. Terry Sanders went there IIRC
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11644 on: December 08, 2017, 12:54:01 PM »
I think it is more of an issue than some here realize.   I have used Yogi Ferrell as an example and will continue to do so.    Crean was unable to land a decent PG during the entire time Yogi was his starting point guard.    Everyone knew Yogi was going to play 32-35 a game and no one was willing to even come and develop for a year and take over after Yogi graduated.    I am concerned that Markus is going to have the same effect on prospective PG recruits.   
    Look what happened with Henry.    Think of the players who left or were afraid to come.    Taylor.   Levin.   Froling.    Look at the guards who have already left.    Duane.   Traci.  Haanif.       
    Maybe Elliot is the answer.    Maybe they believe he can handle the point well enough and are out looking for SG's/athletic wings because they feel they have their back up PG going forward.   

But I will go out on a limb and predict that MU is unable to land a high level graduate transfer PG or a highly rated 2018 PG.   Maybe in 2019, a PG who is willing to come in and develop for a year before taking over when Markus graduates.   
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 01:20:09 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #11645 on: December 08, 2017, 01:07:44 PM »
Agree, Have to working hard at developing those 2020 relationships as sad as that seems. Hopefull they can sell a top 30 type combo to come in for Markus senior year and play off the ball a bit (Brunson) with the idea that we are a top 20 type program at that time and they'll take the reigns at point the following year.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #11646 on: December 08, 2017, 01:36:38 PM »
Considering the hope was that Grimes would be in that spot

Just made me realize that if Grimes had committed, Scoop would still be talking about how Cheatham got Pole Axed.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11647 on: December 08, 2017, 01:38:16 PM »
But I will go out on a limb and predict that MU is unable to land a high level graduate transfer PG or a highly rated 2018 PG.   Maybe in 2019, a PG who is willing to come in and develop for a year before taking over when Markus graduates.   

Wojo has one advantage on Crean. A high-level grad transfer PG will be able to see that Rowsey is averaging 21.6/2.9/4.9 with a 117.1 ORtg and a top-200 usage rate. I get why Henry was a roadblock, but for someone coming in for one year that wants the chance to prove themselves before making a run at a pro career, I think using Andrew Rowsey as a selling point will be pretty effective.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11648 on: December 08, 2017, 01:41:34 PM »
Wojo has one advantage on Crean. A high-level grad transfer PG will be able to see that Rowsey is averaging 21.6/2.9/4.9 with a 117.1 ORtg and a top-200 usage rate. I get why Henry was a roadblock, but for someone coming in for one year that wants the chance to prove themselves before making a run at a pro career, I think using Andrew Rowsey as a selling point will be pretty effective.
Fair enough.   But with Froling about to get some shots as well as Sam's development and the arrival of Morrow and Joey, I don't see a PG able to replicate those numbers on next year's team.    The dream is a 6'4, pass-first lock down defender. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #11649 on: December 08, 2017, 01:58:35 PM »
The dream is a 6'4, pass-first lock down defender.

That's the dream for most NBA teams. I'd happily take the next Tony Miller or Dominic James.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

feedback