Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8719816 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Recruiting as of 11/15/17
« Reply #11500 on: November 22, 2017, 12:57:05 PM »
4ever is a top 3 poster on my list.  He is a refreshing alternative to all the self-proclaimed experts on basketball and college basketball on this board. If I see a 4ever post, I instantly go and read it, Brew city, Tower, or some others not so much.

I'd be interested in knowing why you bad mouth guys that actually discuss MU basketball on an MU basketball forum but praise a guy who says "Crean sucks" ad nauseum. What does "Crean sucks" add to a discussion?

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #11501 on: November 22, 2017, 01:00:21 PM »
I'd be interested in knowing why you bad mouth guys that actually discuss MU basketball on an MU basketball forum but praise a guy who says "Crean sucks" ad nauseum. What does "Crean sucks" add to a discussion?

Common ground

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #11502 on: November 22, 2017, 01:43:55 PM »
I'm not bad mouthing anyone. just  stating my preference. I'm certainly not bad mouthing people discussing mu basketball. I am not obligated to like everyone's posts nor is anyone else that's fine. btw maybe read through the posts and see who is bad mouthing who. seems like this discussion started with people bad mouthing 4ever.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #11503 on: November 22, 2017, 03:59:44 PM »
I'm not bad mouthing anyone. just  stating my preference. I'm certainly not bad mouthing people discussing mu basketball. I am not obligated to like everyone's posts nor is anyone else that's fine. btw maybe read through the posts and see who is bad mouthing who. seems like this discussion started with people bad mouthing 4ever.

Thanks for the reply.

It is certainly as valid for you to like his posts as it is for me to dislike them. Pretty boring world if everyone thought the same way that I do.

#TheThing

• Walk-On
« Reply #11504 on: November 22, 2017, 04:11:04 PM »

Because 4ever is lighthearted and not condescending like those others?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11505 on: November 22, 2017, 04:12:25 PM »
Because 4ever is lighthearted and not condescending like those others?

You are the beacon of steering clear of condescension.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

#TheThing

• Walk-On
« Reply #11506 on: November 22, 2017, 04:14:17 PM »
If you like the guy, fine.

But what does he offer in a basketball discussion? I just see throwaway one liners - no attempt even to be a part of discussions.

Maybe if you called him with a feminist ending to his username, like 4nevas or 4neva, he would be more responsive?  a'inna?

fjm

• All American
« Reply #11507 on: November 22, 2017, 04:16:46 PM »
Shouldn't this all be on the NM thread?

Osiris

• Starter
« Reply #11508 on: November 22, 2017, 04:30:20 PM »
I liken his posts to a cartoon phallus.  Childish, devoid of any real purpose but mildly amusing.  Not a whole lot of harm in that.  To each their own.
The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. Winston Churchill

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #11509 on: November 22, 2017, 04:34:39 PM »
This is another weird internet fight.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #11510 on: November 22, 2017, 05:10:49 PM »
Why is "lil' Chico" not banned?

Thank you, chick 8-)

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #11511 on: November 22, 2017, 05:30:05 PM »
Why is "lil' Chico" not banned?

Thank you, chick 8-)

Jock, we might not agree on everything, but thank you for listening to my point of view instead of doing the typical Scooper guy thing of telling me I am wrong about what women find offensive.   :-*
Have some patience, FFS.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11512 on: November 22, 2017, 05:51:04 PM »
So, 2018 PG's or graduate transfer PG candidates.

Okay...here's a quick rundown of some grad transfer candidates. Some I've already mentioned.

1) Ahmaad Rorie, Montana: Originally an Oregon recruit who played a ton as a freshman but saw his minutes dry up in the last third of the season. Since coming to Montana, he's been great. This season, he's averaging 18.6 ppg/3.2 rpg/4.4 apg. Only shooting 28.1% from three, but connected on 38.4% last year so he can shoot the long ball. He was one of the keys to Montana's road upset of Pitt and had them within 3 of Penn State with 4:11 to play but the Nittany Lions pulled away late. He's 6'1", 185 and is one of those guys that wants to take the big shot. He has a high-major pedigree and so far is the best candidate I've seen.

2) Deshon Taylor, Fresno State: Maybe more of a combo guard, but he has good turnover numbers and is averaging 16.3 ppg/4.0 apg this year. Only shooting 33.3% from three this year but was at 40.5% a year ago so he can shoot from range. His history shows he can hit the three, drive and score inside while drawing fouls (and making his FTs), and defend without fouling. Decent size at 6'1" and 180. Hasn't played at a high-major yet, but has a good all around game.

3) Tayler Persons, Ball State: This kid is built like a linebacker. He's 6'3", 220 and last year shot 41.2% from three while putting up great numbers. He's off to a decent start this year, averaging 13.3 ppg/3.5 rpg/4.3 apg. Persons can score at all three levels while doing a good job of creating for others without turning it over a ton.

4) Isaiah Wright, San Diego: Originally a three-star recruit at Utah, Wright failed to break into the regular rotation. This year he's been destroying small-time competition to the tune of 13.8 ppg/5.3 rpg/5.3 apg. For the moment, he's also shooting 70% from three but on only 10 attempts. He has good size at 6'2", 180 and might be worth a look, especially as he was good enough to get looks from high-majors out of high school.

5) Devin Watson, San Diego State: Watson averaged a monstrous 20.3 ppg/4.9 apg at San Francisco before transferring. He's been productive at SDSU, though his 11.3 ppg/5.5 apg isn't quite as beastly. What I like about him is he doesn't turn it over much at all for a high usage guy and has cut his shot totals from 15.3 as a Don to 9.8 as an Aztec, showing he's willing to defer to established starters. Decent size at 6'1", 172.

6) Robert Cartwright, Stanford: Doesn't fill the stat sheet, but does provide for others without turning it over. Not a great shooter (42.0/41.2 eFG% the past two years) but also isn't a high-usage guy. He was originally a Johnny Dawkins recruit so that might provide a connection to Wojo. Good size at 6'2", 180. If we're just looking for a stable option, he would fit the bill.

7) Shawn Roundtree, Central Michigan: I'm hesitant to look too favorably on guys that couldn't break in at a mid-major like Missouri State, but Roundtree might be the exception. He's off to a great start, averaging 13.3 ppg/3.7 apg but most impressively scorched Michigan for a 21/4/3 line. The Chips were within 3 with 7:20 to play in Ann Arbor. Average size at 6'0", 185.

8) Isaac Fleming, East Carolina: The Maryland native was part of the Hawaii NCAA team in 2016, but transferred before they went dancing. Fleming started conference play on fire, averaging 17.0 ppg/3.4 apg before an ankle injury caused him to miss four games. When he returned, he couldn't rediscover that form, scored only 7 points in the next 4 games, & transferred in February. He mostly played off the ball at Hawaii but ECU is using him at the point. Early returns are mixed, he's averaging 8.8 ppg/6.5 apg but with only an 88.9 ORtg and 8.3% 3PFG%. He did shoot 30.8% from three as a sophomore at Hawaii, and has a great frame at 6'3", 215.

9) Paul Jackson, Eastern Michigan: As a sophomore at Eastern Kentucky, he had a 109.4 ORtg, 30.6% Assist Rate (#79 nationally), and shot 42.9% from three. This year at Eastern Michigan, he's averaging 15.3 ppg/5.5 apg and has scorched nets on the drive with a 62.5% 2PFG%. However, that's against some very weak competition. He'll have shots at Indiana, South Florida, and Wichita State in the coming weeks, and EMU plays in a decent Sun Belt league. If he can maintain those stats, the 6'2", 175 pounder might be worth a look.

10) Ethan Happ, Wisconsin: The junior center is a likely All-American that is a great passer out of the post and rarely turns it over. Okay...fine...he's probably not realistic, and he's definitely not a point guard, but if he doesn't go pro, maybe he'll go the grad transfer route. Even if he doesn't come to Marquette, I'd be happy to see him on the transfer list come April.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #11513 on: November 22, 2017, 06:08:50 PM »
If Happ grad transfers anywhere I'll buy you a bear and a hot dog at the game of your choice Brew...... 8-)

Can't see it happening......kid loves  UW.....will stay or go pro.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11514 on: November 22, 2017, 06:14:53 PM »
Great list, brew.

One of those PGs could be just what the Wojo ordered. Be interesting to follow this all season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #11515 on: November 22, 2017, 06:23:46 PM »
Jock, we might not agree on everything, but thank you for listening to my point of view instead of doing the typical Scooper guy thing of telling me I am wrong about what women find offensive.   :-*

I love to tell you when you are wrong (in my worthless opinion).

But I deserved to be slapped down on this one as I really never gave my comment a second thought.

Now, back to recruiting news before someone's hubby smacks us both. And I honestly do appreciate him trying to herd cats on this thread and keep us focused.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 06:26:56 PM by Jockey »

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #11516 on: November 22, 2017, 06:28:32 PM »
If Happ grad transfers anywhere I'll buy you a bear and a hot dog at the game of your choice Brew...... 8-)

Yep, that’s not Happ-ening. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11517 on: November 22, 2017, 06:55:53 PM »
It could be interesting if Wisconsin misses the tourney this year (6-7 non-con losses is very possible). Might Happ consider transferring from a rebuilding team to a title contender like Duke or Kentucky?

No one will believe it until it happens, but fingers crossed!
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #11518 on: November 22, 2017, 07:00:00 PM »
It could be interesting if Wisconsin misses the tourney this year (6-7 non-con losses is very possible). Might Happ consider transferring from a rebuilding team to a title contender like Duke or Kentucky?

No one will believe it until it happens, but fingers crossed!
Nope.. not Happ-ending.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #11519 on: November 22, 2017, 07:29:37 PM »
Okay...here's a quick rundown of some grad transfer candidates. Some I've already mentioned.

1) Ahmaad Rorie, Montana: Originally an Oregon recruit who played a ton as a freshman but saw his minutes dry up in the last third of the season. Since coming to Montana, he's been great. This season, he's averaging 18.6 ppg/3.2 rpg/4.4 apg. Only shooting 28.1% from three, but connected on 38.4% last year so he can shoot the long ball. He was one of the keys to Montana's road upset of Pitt and had them within 3 of Penn State with 4:11 to play but the Nittany Lions pulled away late. He's 6'1", 185 and is one of those guys that wants to take the big shot. He has a high-major pedigree and so far is the best candidate I've seen.

2) Deshon Taylor, Fresno State: Maybe more of a combo guard, but he has good turnover numbers and is averaging 16.3 ppg/4.0 apg this year. Only shooting 33.3% from three this year but was at 40.5% a year ago so he can shoot from range. His history shows he can hit the three, drive and score inside while drawing fouls (and making his FTs), and defend without fouling. Decent size at 6'1" and 180. Hasn't played at a high-major yet, but has a good all around game.

3) Tayler Persons, Ball State: This kid is built like a linebacker. He's 6'3", 220 and last year shot 41.2% from three while putting up great numbers. He's off to a decent start this year, averaging 13.3 ppg/3.5 rpg/4.3 apg. Persons can score at all three levels while doing a good job of creating for others without turning it over a ton.

4) Isaiah Wright, San Diego: Originally a three-star recruit at Utah, Wright failed to break into the regular rotation. This year he's been destroying small-time competition to the tune of 13.8 ppg/5.3 rpg/5.3 apg. For the moment, he's also shooting 70% from three but on only 10 attempts. He has good size at 6'2", 180 and might be worth a look, especially as he was good enough to get looks from high-majors out of high school.

5) Devin Watson, San Diego State: Watson averaged a monstrous 20.3 ppg/4.9 apg at San Francisco before transferring. He's been productive at SDSU, though his 11.3 ppg/5.5 apg isn't quite as beastly. What I like about him is he doesn't turn it over much at all for a high usage guy and has cut his shot totals from 15.3 as a Don to 9.8 as an Aztec, showing he's willing to defer to established starters. Decent size at 6'1", 172.

6) Robert Cartwright, Stanford: Doesn't fill the stat sheet, but does provide for others without turning it over. Not a great shooter (42.0/41.2 eFG% the past two years) but also isn't a high-usage guy. He was originally a Johnny Dawkins recruit so that might provide a connection to Wojo. Good size at 6'2", 180. If we're just looking for a stable option, he would fit the bill.

7) Shawn Roundtree, Central Michigan: I'm hesitant to look too favorably on guys that couldn't break in at a mid-major like Missouri State, but Roundtree might be the exception. He's off to a great start, averaging 13.3 ppg/3.7 apg but most impressively scorched Michigan for a 21/4/3 line. The Chips were within 3 with 7:20 to play in Ann Arbor. Average size at 6'0", 185.

8) Isaac Fleming, East Carolina: The Maryland native was part of the Hawaii NCAA team in 2016, but transferred before they went dancing. Fleming started conference play on fire, averaging 17.0 ppg/3.4 apg before an ankle injury caused him to miss four games. When he returned, he couldn't rediscover that form, scored only 7 points in the next 4 games, & transferred in February. He mostly played off the ball at Hawaii but ECU is using him at the point. Early returns are mixed, he's averaging 8.8 ppg/6.5 apg but with only an 88.9 ORtg and 8.3% 3PFG%. He did shoot 30.8% from three as a sophomore at Hawaii, and has a great frame at 6'3", 215.

9) Paul Jackson, Eastern Michigan: As a sophomore at Eastern Kentucky, he had a 109.4 ORtg, 30.6% Assist Rate (#79 nationally), and shot 42.9% from three. This year at Eastern Michigan, he's averaging 15.3 ppg/5.5 apg and has scorched nets on the drive with a 62.5% 2PFG%. However, that's against some very weak competition. He'll have shots at Indiana, South Florida, and Wichita State in the coming weeks, and EMU plays in a decent Sun Belt league. If he can maintain those stats, the 6'2", 175 pounder might be worth a look.

10) Ethan Happ, Wisconsin: The junior center is a likely All-American that is a great passer out of the post and rarely turns it over. Okay...fine...he's probably not realistic, and he's definitely not a point guard, but if he doesn't go pro, maybe he'll go the grad transfer route. Even if he doesn't come to Marquette, I'd be happy to see him on the transfer list come April.

Hopefully Wojo can find someone who plays as well as Duane Wilson did for Texas A&M yesterday.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #11520 on: November 22, 2017, 07:51:59 PM »

Great stuff Brew-thanks.
Can you start your own thread on this so we can keep an eye on these players?
#HapptoMU

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #11521 on: November 26, 2017, 08:54:33 PM »
New video of Zaire making a pretty sweet dunk - and check out his tee shirt:

https://twitter.com/MUStoolies/status/934503834818359297
Have some patience, FFS.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #11522 on: November 26, 2017, 10:03:24 PM »
New video of Zaire making a pretty sweet dunk - and check out his tee shirt:

https://twitter.com/MUStoolies/status/934503834818359297

He is starting to get some jump in his game. A chip off the old block.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #11523 on: November 27, 2017, 07:52:25 AM »

Is the hot dog to feed to the bear?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11524 on: November 27, 2017, 08:07:07 AM »
Nice review.  One typo, Eastern Michigan is in the MAC, not Sun Belt.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback