[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by lawdog77
[Today at 07:14:12 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by Tyler COLEk
[Today at 07:03:51 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Henry Ellenson  (Read 153933 times)

Johnny B

• All American
Re: Henry Ellenson
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2014, 08:44:27 PM »
I dont know if Deonte has the size of an NBA player. Hes not really a shooting guard and 6'4 SF wont cut it in the NBA. I think Deonte will be here all 4 years.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2014, 08:57:20 PM »

And he couldn't stop anyone either.

Neither could anyone else.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2014, 09:41:26 PM »
I dont know if Deonte has the size of an NBA player. Hes not really a shooting guard and 6'4 SF wont cut it in the NBA. I think Deonte will be here all 4 years.

He will be unless he hires Vander's adviser. Or hires Vander as an adviser!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2014, 10:10:48 PM »
I think he is a better shooter than you are giving him credit for. His NBA position is shooting guard, but at 6'4" he is small even for that postion in the NBA. He should stay all four years and if he does he has a chance to be our first 2,000 point scorer.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2014, 10:14:07 PM »
I know we've got a number of these threads up, but I'd just like to start one final (hopefully on topic) Henry Ellenson thread that we can use till he makes a decision.

Nope. It appears this thread is now about Burton.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2014, 12:30:22 AM »
Nope. It appears this thread is now about Burton.

Didn't even take a full day
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2014, 04:03:35 AM »

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2014, 07:46:13 AM »

I'm not saying that Deonte is the next coming of Barkley but Charles was only 6'5" and was a PF and a great one at that. So its not all about the height its how you play the game. If he has a skill set that translates he will get a shot despite his height.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2014, 08:28:51 AM »
I'm not saying that Deonte is the next coming of Barkley but Charles was only 6'5" and was a PF and a great one at that. So its not all about the height its how you play the game. If he has a skill set that translates he will get a shot despite his height.
6'5" when the average league height was problably lower than it is now. I would also guess that Barkely is at least two inches taller than Burton.

Schmidtyfactor

• Starter
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2014, 09:12:02 AM »
No, actually it also applies to Henry. I've heard lots of talk about his "demanding" family, as well as a few whispers about his grades and slippage in the rankings.

Crazy stuff, but par for the course considering the source.

Talk to a lot of Gopher Fans. Can't escape them. Mom was on Gopher blogs and doing in-game tweets about Pitino's lineups, shot selection by other players and how her son should be in the game. They say there is a reason why Jr Pitino and Bo aren't going hard after Henry.

Jay Bee care to add?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2014, 09:13:23 AM »
Burton will be on an NBA roster one day - whether after his junior year or senior year.  Same might be true of Henry Ellenson as well (to bring back on topic.)
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2014, 09:14:23 AM »
Talk to a lot of Gopher Fans. Can't escape them. Mom was on Gopher blogs and doing in-game tweets about Pitino's lineups, shot selection by other players and how her son should be in the game. They say there is a reason why Jr Pitino and Bo aren't going hard after Henry.

Jay Bee care to add?

Yes - Because they know they don't have a snowball's chance in hell of landing him.  Duh.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2014, 09:27:49 AM »
Yes - Because they know they don't have a snowball's chance in hell of landing him.  Duh.

Becky might be losing its grip on Sharma too.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2014, 09:53:37 AM »
6'5" when the average league height was problably lower than it is now. I would also guess that Barkely is at least two inches taller than Burton.

Actually NBA average height has been at 6'7" since 1980-81 season.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_stats.html

And Barkley in his own book said he was only 6'4". He has been listed as tal as 6'6" during playing days. Not sure what Burton's height actually is.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2014, 09:58:28 AM »

Jay Bee care to add?

There are concerns about his parent's involvement level.  I have no idea if they are legitimate concerns or not.

Minnesota stood no chance with Henry as soon as Wally left.  But I can tell you for a fact that Bo was watching Henry this summer.  If they cooled on him earlier, they were certainly back and trying to get in the picture just weeks ago.  So don't listen to the bullsh*t from Badger fans that Bo had no interest.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2014, 10:02:37 AM »
Burton will be on an NBA roster one day - whether after his junior year or senior year.  Same might be true of Henry Ellenson as well (to bring back on topic.)

Hope your crystal ball is right on Burton. He's an amazing, explosive athlete. He's also very undisciplined on both ends of the court, has a loose handle and for a 6'2.5" guy he doesn't shoot it all that well. Maturity and hard work can wipe out all the negatives except the 6'2.5" part.

Who knows with Ellenson - he sure has all of the measurables. As a consensus top 10 guy out of HS he's certainly a "favorite" to make the NBA.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2014, 10:05:39 AM »

So don't listen to the bullsh*t from Badger fans that Bo had no interest.

But I'm sure Bo will cool on him eventually. ;)

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2014, 10:14:51 AM »
What's with the talk about Burton being only 6'2.5"?  Is he shrinking?  He was listed at 6'5" in high school.  He certainly plays like 6'5".

But, enough, this is supposed to be about Henry.  As I recall, we heard he may announce his choice in two weeks?  Does anyone have an update on that?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2014, 10:19:19 AM »
What's with the talk about Burton being only 6'2.5"?  Is he shrinking?  He was listed at 6'5" in high school.  He certainly plays like 6'5".

But, enough, this is supposed to be about Henry.  As I recall, we heard he may announce his choice in two weeks?  Does anyone have an update on that?

He's visiting MSU next weekend.  Marquette the weekend after. 

He hosted Wojo on the very first day Wojo could visit earlier this week.  Apparently Calipari was up there yesterday, although I don't believe an official visit has been scheduled to Kentucky.

So I would guess that we will hear in early October UNLESS something gets scheduled with Kentucky.  The longer we hear about no official visit to Kentucky the better. 

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2014, 10:31:03 AM »

Jay Bee care to add?

If I'm a UW fan and Bo in fact stopped recruiting the #4 player in the country because of a potentially overbearing mother, I'd be pissed.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2014, 10:34:57 AM »
If I'm a UW fan and Bo in fact stopped recruiting the #4 player in the country because of a potentially overbearing mother, I'd be pissed.
Doubt that was the case, just didn't want to there

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2014, 10:52:14 AM »
Hope your crystal ball is right on Burton. He's an amazing, explosive athlete. He's also very undisciplined on both ends of the court, has a loose handle and for a 6'2.5" guy he doesn't shoot it all that well. Maturity and hard work can wipe out all the negatives except the 6'2.5" part.

Who knows with Ellenson - he sure has all of the measurables. As a consensus top 10 guy out of HS he's certainly a "favorite" to make the NBA.

Doesn't shoot it all that well?  50% from 3 point line - although small sample size of 8 attempts.  Why I'm so bullish on him, is because he doesn't have to launch 3's to score at all...he's so powerful and explosive that he can get to the rack almost at will..and shoot from point blank. Last year he had numerous looks close in at the basket roll off...that he rushed slightly.  This year I see those going in.

Regarding "undisciplined," that isn't always a bad thing.  When you are a go to go...which Burton is, and always will be while at MU - why should he not launch shots at a high rate?  Do you want a Kobe Bryant, or Michael Jordan being "disciplined" in their shot selection?

We can make another wager if you like on if Burton gets drafted....

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2014, 11:35:39 AM »
Doesn't shoot it all that well?  50% from 3 point line - although small sample size of 8 attempts.  Why I'm so bullish on him, is because he doesn't have to launch 3's to score at all...he's so powerful and explosive that he can get to the rack almost at will..and shoot from point blank. Last year he had numerous looks close in at the basket roll off...that he rushed slightly.  This year I see those going in.

Regarding "undisciplined," that isn't always a bad thing.  When you are a go to go...which Burton is, and always will be while at MU - why should he not launch shots at a high rate?  Do you want a Kobe Bryant, or Michael Jordan being "disciplined" in their shot selection?

We can make another wager if you like on if Burton gets drafted....

No, he doesn't shoot it all that well - 64.7% from the free throw line tells you that, and his mid range shooting last year wasn't all that great.

When "undisciplined" = a 1:1.6 assist to turnover ratio it's a bad thing. Comparing Deonte to the greatest player ever and another in the top 10 is ridiculous, but if you must, do you think Michael or Kobe ever put up that kind of ratio?

I like Deonte. He's a unique and dynamic player. I wouldn't bet against him. But I won't call his faults "strengths" because he's Michael or Kobe. That's silly, and I think Wojo will agree. Here's a bet I will make - Burton will never again launch it at the rate he did last year. Interested?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2014, 11:37:56 AM »

There are concerns about his parent's involvement level.  I have no idea if they are legitimate concerns or not.

I hope those parental involvements are as nefarious and problematic as Wes' mother should he choose to commit to Marquette, with equal success on the court.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2014, 11:40:13 AM »

Players' heights are commonly over listed. Burton is currently listed at 6"4. I have stood next to him. I am taller than him at 6"3.

But he does play like he is 6"5
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback