Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[Today at 10:44:37 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by onepost
[Today at 10:09:20 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 07:57:45 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[Today at 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Henry Ellenson  (Read 153900 times)

jakeec

• Scholarship Player
Re: Henry Ellenson
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2014, 12:27:13 PM »
Is he still really a 5 star?

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2014, 12:29:29 PM »
Is he still really a 5 star?

Who? Henry? Absolutely.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2014, 12:47:57 PM »

You just named three guards/wings.  IMO those aren't back up plans to Ellenson.  They were back up plans to Cheatham...or possible transfers.
My guess is the back up plan is to work the transfer market hard and find another big there. Does anyone know the status of Travon Bunch? Are we still interested in him?

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2014, 01:02:37 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong---Think Travon Bunch is going to a prep school in Georgia with two other Racine
players, Romeo Bouie and Jevon Smith from Wis. Lutheran.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2014, 01:09:15 PM »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2014, 01:20:14 PM »
Does anyone know the status of Travon Bunch? Are we still interested in him?

He's had some serious academic problems in high school. My guess is that Wojo is not pursuing him.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 01:30:52 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2014, 01:24:53 PM »
He's had some serious academic problems in high school. My guess is that Wojo is not pursuing him.

Crazy, overbearing family...questionable grades...slipping in the rankings.

Those wacky Vadger fans. So predictable...so pathetic.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2014, 01:29:37 PM »

You have 12 scholarship players for 2015, if Ellenson signs that is 13, if not hold 2016 so you will have 2 scholarships to hand out.  Right now the classes are not in balance.  Only 1 senior
in 2 years, Taylor.  Will have 5 seniors in a few years, hard to replace classes like that.  Not sure how many Division 1 players in Wisconsin in 2015 but Sam Hauser might be it.  This year
was the best ever with Stone, Ellenson, and Heldt for big men ever.  Transfers just like MU picking up 3 lately, are there every year, I would try and hold out 1 spring offer every year to
see who is out there.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2014, 01:30:25 PM »
Crazy, overbearing family...questionable grades...slipping in the rankings.

Those wacky Vadger fans. So predictable...so pathetic.

I think you may have meant to quote somebody else. I was answering TW's question about Travon Bunch.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2014, 01:33:24 PM »
You have 12 scholarship players for 2015, if Ellenson signs that is 13, if not hold 2016 so you will have 2 scholarships to hand out.  Right now the classes are not in balance.  Only 1 senior
in 2 years, Taylor.  Will have 5 seniors in a few years, hard to replace classes like that.  Not sure how many Division 1 players in Wisconsin in 2015 but Sam Hauser might be it.  This year
was the best ever with Stone, Ellenson, and Heldt for big men ever.  Transfers just like MU picking up 3 lately, are there every year, I would try and hold out 1 spring offer every year to
see who is out there.

:-\

I never like banking scholarships. They are one year contracts. I'd rather sign a winger for a year and hope he works out. If he doesn't, cut him. Sounds cold but that's how it is sometimes.

There's still a lot of time in 2015. If Henry doesn't work out, we can find and sign another quality recruit. If balancing the classes is truly a priority, I'd rather look for a graduate transfer who can help the program.
TAMU

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2014, 01:38:08 PM »
I think you may have meant to quote somebody else. I was answering TW's question about Travon Bunch.

No, actually it also applies to Henry. I've heard lots of talk about his "demanding" family, as well as a few whispers about his grades and slippage in the rankings.

Crazy stuff, but par for the course considering the source.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2014, 01:46:52 PM »

I never like banking scholarships. They are one year contracts. I'd rather sign a winger for a year and hope he works out. If he doesn't, cut him. Sounds cold but that's how it is sometimes.

There's still a lot of time in 2015. If Henry doesn't work out, we can find and sign another quality recruit. If balancing the classes is truly a priority, I'd rather look for a graduate transfer who can help the program.
Schools are moving to four year guaranteed scholarships. I do not remember if MU weighed in on this, but I suspect there is no longer such a thing as one year contracts. The team still needs a good point guard, so I would use it on a good point guard if one is available. Otherwise, I would bank it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 02:12:34 PM by bilsu »

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2014, 01:57:11 PM »

It is not hard nowadays to find the 13th player for a squad.  I am a believer that there is no way you can satisfy 13 kids with playing time.  You only need to play 8-9 regularly so you have
4 unhappy players.  I think 12 is enough.  You can scrimmage in practice and you can figure 1 kid is hurt every year so you are still fine.  Now if MU had the luxury this year, Cohen might be
one to red-shirt but with only 9 players on the team, I highly doubt it.  If you recruit 4 top 100 kids next year, they all expect to play. Ellenson yes, Heldt will back up, Cheatham is not coming
to seat on the bench, nor NIck as well.  Add the 2 transfers and you have 6 new players, add the 7 who all think they should start, you have competition.  So if Henry does not come you have players.  But reliable source stated he is coming.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2014, 01:57:20 PM »
Schools are moving to four year guaranteed scholarships. I do not remember if MU weighed in on this, but I suspect there is no longer such a thing as one year contracts. The team still needs a good point guard, so I was use it on a good point guard if one is available. Otherwise, I would bank it.

The schools that have moved to this have tended to do so with their football scholarship and are exceptions, not the rule.  Very few 4 year scholarships.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2014, 02:37:56 PM »
It is not hard nowadays to find the 13th player for a squad.  I am a believer that there is no way you can satisfy 13 kids with playing time.  You only need to play 8-9 regularly so you have
4 unhappy players.  I think 12 is enough.  You can scrimmage in practice and you can figure 1 kid is hurt every year so you are still fine.  Now if MU had the luxury this year, Cohen might be
one to red-shirt but with only 9 players on the team, I highly doubt it.  If you recruit 4 top 100 kids next year, they all expect to play. Ellenson yes, Heldt will back up, Cheatham is not coming
to seat on the bench, nor NIck as well.  Add the 2 transfers and you have 6 new players, add the 7 who all think they should start, you have competition.  So if Henry does not come you have players.  But reliable source stated he is coming.

Personally I don't care what players expect to play. If they aren't good enough to play, they should sit on the bench until they are good enough. If they don't like that than they can transfer to a lesser program. A good coach can keep players happy even when they are benched. That's why Wisconsin is so successful every season. Their player know that their playing time will be limited at first but they continue to improve. Our last coach wasn't good at this. I am hoping Wojo is.

On a related topic, I think the redshirt is way underutilized in basketball. Unless a freshman is going to be in the top 8 rotation, I think he should be redshirtted. Would be great for building quality teams over time. Unfortunately, it would hurt recruiting.
TAMU

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2014, 02:58:25 PM »
Personally I don't care what players expect to play. If they aren't good enough to play, they should sit on the bench until they are good enough. If they don't like that than they can transfer to a lesser program. A good coach can keep players happy even when they are benched. That's why Wisconsin is so successful every season. Their player know that their playing time will be limited at first but they continue to improve. Our last coach wasn't good at this. I am hoping Wojo is.

On a related topic, I think the redshirt is way underutilized in basketball. Unless a freshman is going to be in the top 8 rotation, I think he should be redshirtted. Would be great for building quality teams over time. Unfortunately, it would hurt recruiting.

I agree with what you are saying, but moral is important.  Redshirt, Wisconsin has utilized it, and has helped the players and the team.  This year at MU impossible, next year, no Top 100
kid will want to redshirt.  I do like transfers, as they have to sit for really a year and a half.  Levin and Ellenson, should be interesting if they can improve.  If they do, then the team is really
stacked in 2015.

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2014, 04:57:25 PM »
Hoping we're doing every possible thing to snag him.
I have it on good authority that Izzo was in Rice Lake today. Mich St clearly wants him bad.
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

jaygall31

• Team Captain
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2014, 05:07:08 PM »
I didn't mean for that to sound like we aren't doing everything we can, because I know we are.
It just can't be fun to go up against Mich. St for a 5-star.
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2014, 05:14:25 PM »
Hoping we're doing every possible thing to snag him.
I have it on good authority that Izzo was in Rice Lake today. Mich St clearly wants him bad.

On Tuesday, the first day coaches could see recruits again, Wojo was in Rice Lake while Izzo was visiting Caleb. Hopefully that impresses Henry.

jaygall31

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2014, 05:15:10 PM »
Good News!
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2014, 05:44:37 PM »
I didn't mean for that to sound like we aren't doing everything we can, because I know we are.
It just can't be fun to go up against Mich. St for a 5-star.

Ellenson is a legit top five recruit. To get a guy like that, you need to go against the big boys. Whether it's MSU, Kansas, Duke, Kentucky or UNC. Goes with the territory.

I like what Wojo is doing and am confident he'll close the deal.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2014, 06:08:21 PM »
see who is out there.

IIRC, 1990 is the only other year with three stud bigs.  Stone, Ellenson, and Heldt are better overall.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2014, 08:28:01 PM »
Some interesting tweets from Caleb Swanigan:

Caleb Swanigan @Biggs_Swanigan  ·  Sep 8
Michigan state and Pitt coming in tomorrow

Caleb Swanigan @Biggs_Swanigan  ·  22h
Some things change. Don't know if I feel the same way

Just really don't

Any way Missouri California and Iowa in tomorrow for in home visits

Caleb Swanigan @Biggs_Swanigan  ·  27m
In homes went great today

Hope he hasn't cooled on Michigan St.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2014, 08:40:34 PM »
see who is out there.

Is Ellenson a 4 year player if he does attend Marquette? I doubt it.

Is Deonte Burton a 4 year player? I don't think he is, no one could stop him last year except Buzz Williams.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2014, 08:42:57 PM »
Is Deonte Burton a 4 year player? I don't think he is, no one could stop him last year except Buzz Williams.

And he couldn't stop anyone either.

feedback