collapse

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 03:31:34 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: "girls night out" is sexual harassment?  (Read 24334 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: "girls night out" is sexual harassment?
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2014, 10:02:18 PM »
Gal works.  Probably a safer choice than "girl" in most cases.

When in doubt, though, I'd play it safe and use "ladies".

What if they aren't ladies....wink wink nudge nudge....know what I mean, know what I mean....say no more, SAY no more.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2014, 10:06:30 PM »

Love that he shoots.  Is this a bad thing?

Here's my little girl shooting just a few days ago.  Train them young, be responsible but know how to do it if they wish.  Or if not, she'll kick someone's ass in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2014, 10:24:07 PM »
Love that he shoots.  Is this a bad thing?

Here's my little girl shooting just a few days ago.  Train them young, be responsible but know how to do it if they wish.  Or if not, she'll kick someone's ass in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. 

That thing's got optics!

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2014, 10:47:38 PM »
She's a very good shooter, though her form sucks.  You should see her with a bow, can hit the target with amazing consistency.  One of her archery coaches was in the Olympics a few times and she practices down at El Eldorado where the '84 Olympic Archery event was held.  Drives her older brother crazy.  She's a natural at hitting the target with various weapons.  Can't explain it, just has it in her....nailed a bullseye with her very first archery shot as a 7 year old when she picked up a bow for the first time. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2014, 11:40:40 PM »
But this is a case where someone's career path was at issue because someone (there is always SOMEONE) that gets offended. I'd say this is exactly the right spot to bring this up, because the more this stuff is brought up the more it opens the eyes of some of the complete whack jobs that are out there in this world, many of them in positions of power.

Here here. James South is unfit for leadership. He jeopardized another man's career over something utterly stupid. Even if the letter was removed from the man's personnel file his reputation was tarnished. And for what?

I applaud John McAdams for pointing out this lunacy. Regardless of whatever side of the aisle he sits, McAdams has the courage and strength of conviction to point out an injustice.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2014, 11:43:56 PM »
She's a very good shooter, though her form sucks.  You should see her with a bow, can hit the target with amazing consistency.  One of her archery coaches was in the Olympics a few times and she practices down at El Eldorado where the '84 Olympic Archery event was held.  Drives her older brother crazy.  She's a natural at hitting the target with various weapons.  Can't explain it, just has it in her....nailed a bullseye with her very first archery shot as a 7 year old when she picked up a bow for the first time. 

Her form is unique but pellet rifles don't kick much so she's fine. In a few years you need to get her some BDUs and post some pics of her in sultry poses with an M 16.

Death on call

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2014, 11:59:54 PM »
Her form is unique but pellet rifles don't kick much so she's fine. In a few years you need to get her some BDUs and post some pics of her in sultry poses with an M 16.

Is she joining the Israeli Defense Force?

I kid....
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2014, 12:01:05 AM »
Here here. James South is unfit for leadership. He jeopardized another man's career over something utterly stupid. Even if the letter was removed from the man's personnel file his reputation was tarnished. And for what?

I applaud John McAdams for pointing out this lunacy. Regardless of whatever side of the aisle he sits, McAdams has the courage and strength of conviction to point out an injustice.

As much as I hate tenure because I believe it grandfathers people in for work done in the past, here's a situation  where it has a positive impact.  In another setting, without that protection, he may not have been able to call them out for the lunatics they are as then the tolerance lobby would kick in and that lobby apparently only tolerates certain ways of thinking.  Good for him in knowing the firmness of the firm ground he stands on to call out the ridiculousness of their actions. 

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2014, 09:07:38 AM »
Had a blood draw this morning ... in the office where they took my blood there was a sign for the nurses that was addressed to "Girls - ." Wonder if the women in the office knew to be offended.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2014, 09:16:09 AM »
Had a blood draw this morning ... in the office where they took my blood there was a sign for the nurses that was addressed to "Girls - ." Wonder if the women in the office knew to be offended.

Someone will remind them

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2014, 09:37:55 AM »

I agree with this, but I didn't like the way he used this situation to jump up on the soapbox and provide a lot of his own opinions.

Just report the facts, provide a little insight. End of blog post. Perfect. Love it. Stand up to the man.

Instead, McAdams went off on a long rant and I think it muddies the message and makes it look like he was just looking for an excuse to further his own agenda.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2014, 09:39:40 AM »
I think this is an over-reaction and also a mis-statement on academia.  I have worked in academia for quite some time and also interface with industry on collaborations and do not find it any more hyper-sensitive than anywhere else, nor do I find academia to have any more nut cases than the general public (after all 4% of all CEO's are psychopaths).

But the over-reaction part is not being able to say anything that could be misinterpreted, including things like "you look nice" as someone else mentioned.

The problem is that people don't actually develop meaningful relationships involving mutual respect anymore.  I'm sure I have often used girls in reference to women, I also don't shy away from telling someone they look nice and have never had a problem.  I do that though with people that I have developed relationships with that center on mutual respect.  They would never assume I am meaning it as a slight, because it is well known the level of respect I have for them, similarly they would not be bothered by a comment, because we have developed rapport. 

If people spent more time getting to know people and outwardly letting them know there level of respect then we wouldn't have problems with these sorts of things.  It is when coworkers view there colleagues as competitors that these issues become a problem 

Or frankly maybe I just view the workplace differently then a lot of people do.  For instance, I don't work with my closest friends, and I am not close friends with anyone I work with.  I literally see no one I work with in any sort of social setting...and I like that.

So when I am in the workplace, I don't really feel the need to say "hey, you look nice" or anything of the sort.  Don't get me wrong, I am friendly, cordial and respectful.  And people apparently like working for me because they don't leave.  But I just don't see much of a need in having a different relationship than that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2014, 09:39:58 AM »
I agree with this, but I didn't like the way he used this situation to jump up on the soapbox and provide a lot of his own opinions.

Just report the facts, provide a little insight. End of blog post. Perfect. Love it. Stand up to the man.

Instead, McAdams went off on a long rant and I think it muddies the message and makes it look like he was just looking for an excuse to further his own agenda.

Agreed on both counts. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2014, 10:27:28 AM »
Interesting,  but in this century, we wouldn't consider being called a "broad" a compliment.  And oI am surprised that "dame" is supposed to be derogatory.  Not that it is any better than "broad"...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/e/AqeatUvRu68" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/e/AqeatUvRu68</a>
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 10:35:56 AM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2014, 10:50:14 AM »
As much as I hate tenure because I believe it grandfathers people in for work done in the past, here's a situation  where it has a positive impact.  In another setting, without that protection, he may not have been able to call them out for the lunatics they are as then the tolerance lobby would kick in and that lobby apparently only tolerates certain ways of thinking.  Good for him in knowing the firmness of the firm ground he stands on to call out the ridiculousness of their actions.  

Chico, I agree with McAdams on this, though I agree with Cans that he went a bit overboard.

Tenure is tricky. I have no problem with tenure protecting those who have earned it from being fired or silenced in any way for taking positions unpopular with those in power. On both the left and the right. You seem to be ok with it when it protects people you agree with from people you consider lunatics, but remember it's also there to protect people you consider lunatics from people like you whom they consider lunatics.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 10:57:52 AM by Lennys Tap »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #90 on: July 17, 2014, 11:49:17 AM »
Chico, I agree with McAdams on this, though I agree with Cans that he went a bit overboard.

Tenure is tricky. I have no problem with tenure protecting those who have earned it from being fired or silenced in any way for taking positions unpopular with those in power. On both the left and the right. You seem to be ok with it when it protects people you agree with from people you consider lunatics, but remember it's also there to protect people you consider lunatics from people like you whom they consider lunatics.

I'll comment on the tenure issue, because I don't think people often understand it.  At the University level you either get tenure or get fired.  No other jobs have that requirement.  Especially considering, doing your job will not get you tenure.  You have to be considered "outstanding/extraordinary" in all aspects of your job, just to keep it.  The individuals submit to a lower paying job with a guarantee of only 3 (then 6) years of employment.  No tenure and you are out on the street.  Get tenure and provided you don't exhibit gross inadequacies in your performance and you have a job for life.

Would you take a job that, unless you performed as the best in your field, you would be fired without a "golden parachute," nothing, just a don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Also, one has to remember at the University level, these people aren't really paid to teach (right or wrong), they are paid to do research/author books.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #91 on: July 18, 2014, 09:43:39 AM »
I'll comment on the tenure issue, because I don't think people often understand it.  At the University level you either get tenure or get fired.  No other jobs have that requirement.  Especially considering, doing your job will not get you tenure.  You have to be considered "outstanding/extraordinary" in all aspects of your job, just to keep it.  The individuals submit to a lower paying job with a guarantee of only 3 (then 6) years of employment.  No tenure and you are out on the street.  Get tenure and provided you don't exhibit gross inadequacies in your performance and you have a job for life.

Would you take a job that, unless you performed as the best in your field, you would be fired without a "golden parachute," nothing, just a don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Also, one has to remember at the University level, these people aren't really paid to teach (right or wrong), they are paid to do research/author books.

The flip side of this is how many people in the real world do their job well and don't have a job for life?  There are tradeoffs in everything.  I prefer a meritocracy from cradle to grave in the career life cycle.  I realize this doesn't happen, both at the corporate and academic level for different reasons.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #92 on: July 18, 2014, 10:23:19 AM »
So I went to Prof. James South's personal webpage on the Marquette University server. I am attaching a link FROM HIS MARQUETTE WEBPAGE where he lists his very favorite episode of Xena as, "GIRLS JUST WANT TO HAVE FUN."

WHAT A F#CKING IDIOT!!! Someone needs to put a letter in his personnel file about this outrage.

I have no idea who James South is but he is an immortal F#cking Moron.

Here is the Link:

http://www.marquette.edu/phil/south/#me

JAMES SOUTH: YOU ARE AN IDIOT UNFIT TO LEAD!

Any guy that has a list of top 5 Xena episodes, or for that matter can name a Xena episode probably needs to be fired.

brandx

« Reply #93 on: July 18, 2014, 01:44:55 PM »

Any guy that has a list of top 5 Xena episodes, or for that matter can name a Xena episode probably needs to be fired.

All gay men can name their top 5 episodes of Xena :-*

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #94 on: July 18, 2014, 01:57:51 PM »

Actually, linking Philosophy to pop culture is his "thing". I have heard Dr. South speak on couple of occasions,  and he is actually quite interesting.  He has edited several books of essays discussing the philosophy of, say, James Bond, or "Mad Men".

I agree,  though; he totally handled this incident badly.
Have some patience, FFS.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #95 on: July 18, 2014, 02:17:39 PM »
  Actually, linking Philosophy to pop culture is his "thing". I have heard Dr. South speak on couple of occasions,  and he is actually quite interesting.  He has edited several books of essays discussing the philosophy of, say, James Bond, or "Mad Men".

I agree,  though; he totally handled this incident badly.

Any professional credits he may have had were washed away by his ham fisted handling of a personnel matter. Letting personal animosity dictate actions that impact another man's livelihood is inexcusable in any context. For a "philosopher" of all goddam people to exhibit such banal behavior undermines his credibility as a legitimate thinker.

And frankly, I question why Marquette employs a man whose intellectual investigation focuses on explicating the social relevance of 007, Xena, Marvel Comic book characters, or "Mad Men." The fact is that there is none. 007 is entertainment and cannot be compared to Hamlet. Mr. South's academic forte would seem to be mental masturbation.   

Death on call

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #96 on: July 18, 2014, 02:26:04 PM »
Any professional credits he may have had were washed away by his ham fisted handling of a personnel matter. Letting personal animosity dictate actions that impact another man's livelihood is inexcusable in any context. For a "philosopher" of all goddam people to exhibit such banal behavior undermines his credibility as a legitimate thinker.

And frankly, I question why Marquette employs a man whose intellectual investigation focuses on explicating the social relevance of 007, Xena, Marvel Comic book characters, or "Mad Men." The fact is that there is none. 007 is entertainment and cannot be compared to Hamlet. Mr. South's academic forte would seem to be mental masturbation.  

I would caution against dismissing out of hand certain media traditionally deemed as merely "entertainment." Many said the same things about Tolkien, CS Lewis' fantasy pieces, Ray Bradbury's science fiction, and so on. Hell, Greek and Shakespearean comedies were merely bawdy entertainment when they came out, and now historians of literature analyze them for social context and deep commentary on the human condition. In 300 years, our descendants may be analyzing "The Simpsons" or "South Park" in the same way. Or maybe they won't. But I wouldn't automatically count it out.

Mad Men in particular is a rich social commentary that somehow manages to do it differently than almost every other work about the 1960s. This is Time feature is definitely worth a look: http://time.com/mad-men-last-days/  (although you have to be a subscriber to read the full story)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 02:29:21 PM by Bleuteaux »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #97 on: July 18, 2014, 03:20:55 PM »
South Park has actually become incredibly deep in writing. Those not watching due to it's origins is missing out.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #98 on: July 18, 2014, 03:32:27 PM »
Didn't someone earn his doctorate by writing on the philosophy of "Peanuts"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #99 on: July 18, 2014, 04:07:44 PM »
Didn't someone earn his doctorate by writing on the philosophy of "Peanuts"

I heard of him. Is he still waiting tables at that Soho Bistro?

Death on call

feedback