[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Matt Carlino  (Read 92002 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: Matt Carlino
« Reply #150 on: April 25, 2014, 02:27:22 PM »
The usual suspects and Derrick lovers have aligned nicely in this thread:

TAMU
Tower
Wades

Sorry...I can't get excited over the minuscule "improvement" your stats tried to illustrate TAMU.  A whopping .8ppg improvement?  Regressing in rebounds?  Turning the ball over more?  For the few categories he showed minuscule improvement, he also regressed by a minuscule amount in others.

And no, I won't put a ton of stock into overall O-rating where a guy averaged 31 minutes per game and played every game compared to a guy who averaged 9 minutes a game and didn't get to play roughly 10 games.  One guy shoots 81% from the FT line, the other 43%.  One guy made 7, 3pt shots on the year, the other guy 1, on 7% shooting...and has made 2 for his career through the end of his junior year.

If you think we fell from an Elite 8 team and Big East champion of the tough Big East, to a 9-9 team that missed the NIT, that only beat 3 Top 50 teams for the whole year...due to Vander and Trent not being on the team...well...don't know what to tell you.

The 4 on 5 offense we ran all year, (Buzz's label), did greatly hamper every other guy on the court...whether it was Jake, Jamil, Gardner, Juan, Mayo...

I've never seen a high major PG get "defended" the way Derrick was last year...generally a good 5-6' off of him at all times on perimeter.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MU82

• All American
« Reply #151 on: April 25, 2014, 02:34:28 PM »
To say Derrick improved from soph to junior based on stats is misleading because his role was so very different. As a soph, he was a few-minute-spurt defensive stopper who wasn't ever expected to do anything offensively. As a junior, he was a 30 mpg starting PG for the defending Big East champions. Expectations, responsibilities, everything was different. He might as well have been two different players. Comparing the two seasons is silly.

I don't have to look at stats to say that Derrick improved some over the course of his junior season. Again, however, this is meaningless because he improved from being perhaps the worst offensive 30 mpg PG any of us have ever seen to being only slightly better than the worst. On a scale of 1-to-10, he maybe improved from 0.1 to 1.

I think most of us with eyes and any basketball knowledge can agree that he never was good enough to be the starting PG of a team with any kind of championship aspirations and that he never improved enough to be such a  PG. It is logical to project that he will be nowhere near good enough next season, either.

Having said all that, let's go back to the original topic. I don't know squat about Carlino. His stats are only OK. But if he is good enough to be an effective offensive PG/shooter for a good D1 college team and he wants to come to Marquette, we should welcome him to Warrior Nation.

Why assume Duane will be great? Why assume Dawson is any good at all? For God's sake, why assume that Derrick will be any better? If Duane and Dawson do turn out to be any good, why assume they will stay healthy all season? If they are any good, why assume that they won't get plenty of playing time in 3-guard and 4-guard sets?

Dawson came to Marquette assuming that Derrick, Duane and maybe even Vander were going to be ahead of him at PG last season and that Mayo, JJJ and maybe Duane would be ahead of him at SG for two seasons. Now we're going to worry about his psyche? And if Duane isn't mentally strong enough and confident enough to believe he is going to carve out a niche for himself, that's on him.

If we learned one thing last season, it was that you can't have enough PGs and you can't have enough outside shooting threats. Plus, we have 3 scholarships to fill and the odds of us landing 3 guys who actually can contribute next season are extremely low. If Carlino is good enough to give us good play at PG and reasonably good shooting, I can't believe there is even any debate.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #152 on: April 25, 2014, 02:47:49 PM »
Well said MU82
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #153 on: April 25, 2014, 02:54:39 PM »
If we learned one thing last season, it was that you can't have enough PGs and you can't have enough outside shooting threats.

It would be nice if they were one and the same.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #154 on: April 25, 2014, 02:55:32 PM »
Ners, we all agree that Derrick being our PG was one of in not the chief problems last season. We even agree that he was consistently the worst player on the floor.

Where we don't agree is the solution. Dawson was the only other PG on the roster, and I saw nothing to make me think he would do any better. That is a matter of opinion, not fact. We will never know who was right, that season is over. Nor will we ever agree.

That is all I have to say about this topic until next season.

Back to Carlino. Duane/Dawson are unknowns and Derrick is clearly not a winning option for the PG. I think bringing in an experienced PG from a NCAA tournament team would do wonders for us. At best he's our starting PG and improves on his numbers from his days as a Cougar. At worst he's a backup PG or wing who can give us another three point presence on the floor. Sounds like a win win to me.

In the end, we have three open scholarships. Don't really have the ability to be too picky.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 02:57:57 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #155 on: April 25, 2014, 03:10:50 PM »
I saw nothing to make me think he would do any better

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/1dR1pkCGY80?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/1dR1pkCGY80?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0</a>

Death on call

onepost

• All American
« Reply #156 on: April 25, 2014, 03:21:54 PM »
Could we just get back to talking about Matt Carlino? Seriously, we've hammered the Derrick points home for months now.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #157 on: April 25, 2014, 03:31:19 PM »
.......like the fact that according to Jeff Goodman he just committed.......

NotBuzzWilliams

• Starter
« Reply #158 on: April 25, 2014, 03:33:17 PM »
Welcome, welcome...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #159 on: April 25, 2014, 03:42:01 PM »
Nice!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Boone

• All American
« Reply #160 on: April 25, 2014, 03:44:12 PM »
OK then. If any good comes out of this it'll be mean Derrick will now be pushed to 3rd or 4th in the PG rotation. Carlino and Duane might be a good duel PG lineup (not sold on Dawson).  

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #161 on: April 25, 2014, 03:45:01 PM »
The usual suspects and Derrick lovers have aligned nicely in this thread:

TAMU
Tower
Wades

Please God.  Help Ners understand that we don't love Derrick.  We just don't agree on the solution.  And please find Ners a new drum to bang.

I probably need to confess to using God's name in vain here.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #162 on: April 25, 2014, 03:51:44 PM »
Paint Touches @PaintTouches  ·  28s
Marquette now at 11 scholarships for the 2014-15 season. Currently one player taller than 6-foot-7.

Paint Touches @PaintTouches  ·  7m
Carlino will step in at the point right away. Averaged 13.7 points, 4.3 assists per game last year at BYU. #mubb

Paint Touches @PaintTouches  ·  9m
The Derrick Wilson Era, we hardly knew ye.

Paint Touches @PaintTouches  ·  14m
RT @GoodmanESPN: Marquette has landed a commitment from BYU graduate transfer Matt Carlino, who is eligible to play this coming season.

Paint Touches @PaintTouches  ·  14m
#mubb RT @EvanDaniels: Matt Carlino to Marquette, per a source.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 03:55:22 PM by VegasWarrior77 »
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Norm

• All American
« Reply #163 on: April 25, 2014, 03:57:03 PM »
Wish I was more excited about this transfer than I am. A log jam now at guard when we needed help in the frontcourt.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #164 on: April 25, 2014, 03:58:02 PM »
Wish I was more excited about this transfer than I am. A log jam now at guard when we needed help in the frontcourt.

We have all our guards back from last year.  Let's just say, guard play was not strong last year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #165 on: April 25, 2014, 04:00:17 PM »

We needed help everywhere, including the perimeter. We had the scholly and we weren't going to get three big men. It's a one-and-done situation. The best players will earn minutes. We will use plenty of 3- and 4-guard sets. Did you see Villanova play this past season? A team can win going small.

I see zero down side to this ... unless Carlino sucks. And he apparently doesn't.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #166 on: April 25, 2014, 04:02:27 PM »
We have all our guards back from last year.  Let's just say, guard play was not strong last year.
Yes, but I was hoping that the young guys would get more playing time next year to help their development. My guess is Carlino and D. Wilson get the bulk of the minutes while Duane and John get the scraps. Carlino does not come to MU unless he knows he's the #1 guy, especially since he is leaving BYU because he is not guaranteed to start there next season.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #167 on: April 25, 2014, 04:03:14 PM »
Paint Touches ‏@PaintTouches  1m
The last FOUR seasons combined Marquette's starting PGs have made 63 3-pointers. Last year alone Carlino made 60. #mubb

Boone

• All American
« Reply #168 on: April 25, 2014, 04:07:02 PM »
2 scholarships left. I know pickings are slim, but Wojo HAS to find another big somewhere (somehow, I doubt we'll take another rental recruit).

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #169 on: April 25, 2014, 04:12:33 PM »
Yes, but I was hoping that the young guys would get more playing time next year to help their development. My guess is Carlino and D. Wilson get the bulk of the minutes while Duane and John get the scraps. Carlino does not come to MU unless he knows he's the #1 guy, especially since he is leaving BYU because he is not guaranteed to start there next season.

Again, players will develop regardless of whether they are getting 40 mpg or 1 mpg.  Not taking a player because they will stunt the progress of other players on the rosters is arguably the dumbest thing I've ever heard on this board (and it is far from just you suggesting this is the case), and there have been some really, really dumb things said on here.  If Carlino is not a good player and cannot help this team win games, then Duane and John should have no problem beating him out.  If they do have trouble beating him out and Carlino stinks, then regardless of their development, those 2 players will probably never be very good.  If we're worried their feelings will get hurt and they will transfer out because a not-so-good player came in and took their minutes, then they aren't good either and their transfer out won't hurt the future of our program.  This is an absolute no lose situation.  If Carlino sucks and Dawson and Duane don't, then Carlino sits and can pout all he wants, he's out after 1 year.  If Carlino kicks ass and Duane and Dawson are good but just not as good, then we have a lot of talent and depth in the back court.  If they all are bad then we can recruit for the future and stink again next year.  Win-win scenario by getting Carlino.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #170 on: April 25, 2014, 04:14:33 PM »

But what about next year?

You get the best roster possible to win any given year.  The point guard situation was between a rock and a hard place.  Now we actually have options.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #171 on: April 25, 2014, 04:19:17 PM »

Let's say we don't take Carlino because we don't want to "stunt the growth" of the young guys.

And then Duane gets hurt again. And/or Dawson turns out not to be especially good when given extended minutes. And/or JJJ gets suspended for some odd thing.

What then? I'll tell you what then: We're ripping Wojo for not being prepared, for not using an available scholly on a proven college guard who wanted to be a Warrior, and for relying on a failed senior (Derrick) and a bunch of unproven kids. That's what then!

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #172 on: April 25, 2014, 04:20:22 PM »
Paint Touches ‏@PaintTouches  1m
Burton said earlier this month that he likes Duane Wilson as a 2 more than at the point. He certainly has the scoring skill set.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #173 on: April 25, 2014, 04:22:55 PM »

Now, this scenario would be some bull$h!t. Derrick getting bulk minutes would make Scoop explode.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #174 on: April 25, 2014, 04:26:31 PM »

Considering the PG position was dismal last season, I don't see a "logjam" at all.

feedback