[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Matt Carlino  (Read 91946 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: Matt Carlino
« Reply #225 on: April 28, 2014, 07:47:37 PM »

OK....WE GET IT!!!

My god how many f*cking times are we going to have this stupid debate??  You disagree with them.  You disagree with me.  We disagree with you.

Just stating the same thing over and over and over again doesn't change that.

As soon as you and the other handful of morons stop trying to float the notion that Derrick "was the best option Buzz had available."  Just as I said...Burton better than Juan, Todd better than Jake, Gardner better than Otule...yet Buzz obviously didn't max their minutes.

And yea...when you have a PG that shoots 43% from the FT Line, has made 2, 3pt shots through the end of his junior season, does not need to be defended within 6' on the perimeter, and refuses to take a shot outside of 3' away from the basket other than about 4 times in all of conference play....while you have a kid who shots 81% from the FT line, and has tripled the career 3 point makes in spotty play as a freshman...sitting behind the other guy....there was a better option.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #226 on: April 28, 2014, 07:50:27 PM »

Irony.  Wonderful, delicious irony.

Says the guy who had to high tail it off this board after trying to defend Buzz, Derrick, and Jake all season long...did you finally clear all the egg off your face these past two months that you are now able to resurface? 

Maybe you should go join your other astute basketball mind buddy BrewCity back over at BrewCity Ball...and you can get more of his great analysis...such as can be found in my signature with his astute basketball mind..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #227 on: April 28, 2014, 07:55:55 PM »
Says the guy who had to high tail it off this board after trying to defend Buzz, Derrick, and Jake all season long...did you finally clear all the egg off your face these past two months that you are now able to resurface? 

I left for Lent because I could no longer be a part of a board that personally insulted our student athletes, and because of the fact that the moderators refused to moderate.

My 40 days away did not change my mind one bit about who Buzz should have played or how he should have approached the season.  So nice try.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #228 on: April 28, 2014, 08:02:18 PM »

I left for Lent because I could no longer be a part of a board that personally insulted our student athletes, and because of the fact that the moderators refused to moderate.

My 40 days away did not change my mind one bit about who Buzz should have played or how he should have approached the season.  So nice try.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #229 on: April 28, 2014, 08:06:17 PM »

I think you need to look up the definition of irony.  Because it doesn't mean what you think it means.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #230 on: April 28, 2014, 08:14:27 PM »

I think you need to look up the definition of irony.  Because it doesn't mean what you think it means.

brandx

« Reply #231 on: April 28, 2014, 08:35:13 PM »
Yeah smart ass...I do have a good grasp on how playing time decisions are made by good coaches who aren't off their rocker...as Buzz was last year.  Please....go ahead and answer the point I made:

Why did Juan start/play more than Burton?
Jake start/play more than Mayo?
Otule start over Gardner (and give me a break if you say to win the tip as that gets nullified through alternating possession.)  Why didn't Gardner get more than 25 minutes a game?

This just in....Most coaches play their BEST guys the most minutes...NOT their two most limited guys the most minutes...

That.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #232 on: April 28, 2014, 08:55:05 PM »

Not necessary....the point being made is that it is ironic that you call into question my knowledge of basketball, when you popped off with your statement after having had 40 days to reflect:

My 40 days away did not change my mind one bit about who Buzz should have played or how he should have approached the season

And Buzz's genius and how he approached last season (which you supported all season long), led to an amazing 17-15 finish, 9-9 in the Big East after being picked to win it all, Buzz returning more letter winners than ever before in his tenure, and having his most highly touted recruiting class coming in the door.  Clearly an awesome coaching job last year.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #233 on: April 28, 2014, 09:09:21 PM »

Not much of a sacrifice then. I thought one ought to suffer during Lent?

Death on call

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #234 on: April 29, 2014, 12:19:23 AM »
As soon as you and the other handful of morons stop trying to float the notion that Derrick "was the best option Buzz had available."

Dear God man. Some people on a message board have a different opinion than you. Settle down. Get some perspective. Are you going to internet scream at us until we change our minds? It is possible for two people, with equal understandings of basketball, to have different opinions on the same scenario you know.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #235 on: April 29, 2014, 08:13:20 AM »

Dear God man. Some people on a message board have a different opinion than you. Settle down. Get some perspective. Are you going to internet scream at us until we change our minds? It is possible for two people, with equal understandings of basketball, to have different opinions on the same scenario you know.

The point is...Buzz had a better option than Derrick for 32 minutes per game.  He gave Dawson exactly 1 game all season of 30+ minutes and he played well.  As has been discussed Pomoroy doesn't even assign an O-Rating to players who play less than 10 minutes in a game...of which Dawson got 18 of 32 I believe.

Just as Buzz should have played Mayo more than Jake

Just as Buzz should have played Burton more than Juan

Just as Buzz should have maxed Gardner's minutes EVERY game.

Buzz left a lot of talent sitting on the bench...and it is ludicrous to argue that there wasn't a better option at PG than a 7% 3pt shooter and 43% FT shooter.  It's nearly impossible to be that awful of shooter as a guard...and if you don't think those offensive liabilities handcuffed the rest of the team..no, you don't know much about basketball.  Last season's team was by a landslide Buzz's worst Offensive Efficiency team...ironic.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #236 on: April 29, 2014, 08:24:47 AM »
The point is...Buzz had a better option than Derrick for 32 minutes per game.  He gave Dawson exactly 1 game all season of 30+ minutes and he played well.  As has been discussed Pomoroy doesn't even assign an O-Rating to players who play less than 10 minutes in a game...of which Dawson got 18 of 32 I believe.

Buzz left a lot of talent sitting on the bench...and it is ludicrous to argue that there wasn't a better option at PG than a 7% 3pt shooter and 43% FT shooter.  It's nearly impossible to be that awful of shooter as a guard...and if you don't think those offensive liabilities handcuffed the rest of the team..no, you don't know much about basketball.  Last season's team was by a landslide Buzz's worst Offensive Efficiency team...ironic.

TAMU's point just flew over your head...

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #237 on: April 29, 2014, 09:15:21 AM »

TAMU's point just flew over your head...

Nah....the issue isn't if two people can have a similar knowledge of basketball and arrive at a different conclusion...that can happen of course.  The issue is that the original premise is flawed:  That Derrick was the best available option of bad options.  Buzz showed all season long he was playing inferior options when he could have played the below guys a lot more/over the other guy:

Burton over Juan
Mayo over Jake
Gardner over Otule

A PG that causes you to to play 4 on 5 in the coaches own words, that shoots 7% from 3, that shoots 43% from FT line...is not a good option at all...particularly when there is a kid sitting on the bench who shoots 81% from FT line, 28% from 3 point line, and has tripled the career makes from 3 pt land of the junior starting in front of him...while only playing spotty minutes...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #238 on: April 29, 2014, 09:18:43 AM »

Nah....the issue isn't if two people can have a similar knowledge of basketball and arrive at a different conclusion...that can happen of course.  The issue is that the original premise is flawed:  That Derrick was the best available option of bad options. 

No.

The issue that flew over your head is that you can continue to say the same thing over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over,and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over,and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over again...

...but you aren't going to change our minds.

So saying it ONE MORE TIME doesn't help.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #239 on: April 29, 2014, 09:22:39 AM »

No.

The issue that flew over your head is that you can continue to say the same thing over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over,and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over,and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over again...

...but you aren't going to change our minds.

So saying it ONE MORE TIME doesn't help.

Just admit you were wrong and we can all move on  ;D

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #240 on: April 29, 2014, 10:22:16 AM »

You have an opinion on who was the better PG. Others have a different opinion. All there is to it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #241 on: April 29, 2014, 10:28:49 AM »
Here's the problem for you, Tower and Guns.  No, Derrick wasn't the best option in a really bad situation just as:

Juan Anderson had no business playing more/starting over Deonte Burton from Day 1 of the season.

Jake Thomas had no business playing more/starting over Todd Mayo

Chris Otule had no business starting over Davante...and Davante only averaging 25 minutes a game last season...

Just as Derrick Wilson had ZERO reason to be playing 32 minutes a game and more minutes than any other player on the team...and playing more than Dawson.

Buzz was an idiot last season....for all of the above reasons...and they all explain why we went from an Elite 8 team to missing the NIT.  The most egregious coaching decision he made of course was not ever radically modifying the PG playing time allocation other than for 1 game against Georgetown and it worked out pretty well.  You don't draw conclusions on a player based on 3, 2 to 3 minute stints of playing time..and if in that time the kid makes a mistake he hits the bench.  Hell if Derrick were coached that way...he'd have been benched frequently.

Fine. Dawson was a far better player than Wilson. Good?

It still doesn't make this logic true:

A. MU was bad at basketball.
B. Derrick Wilson was bad at basketball.

B causes A.

(Doesn't work). Too many variables. Logical Fallacy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation

Also, if MU is better next season, we can't just say: "Look, Derrick is playing less! See!". It doesn't work like that.

Logic.

Critical thinking.

Not slurping.

MU needs to get better performance out of several positions next season, including head coach.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #242 on: April 29, 2014, 10:33:26 AM »

MU needs to get better performance out of head coach.

Death on call

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #243 on: April 29, 2014, 10:45:25 AM »

B causes A.

Also, if MU is better next season, we can't just say: "Look, Derrick is playing less! See!". It doesn't work like that.

Logic.

Critical thinking.

Not slurping.

MU needs to get better performance out of several positions next season, including head coach.

We all know that Dylan Flood's lack of minutes this year directly correlates to how badly this team played this past year.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #244 on: April 29, 2014, 11:40:12 AM »

And, probably more ironically, his worst DEFENSIVE efficiency team.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #245 on: April 29, 2014, 03:22:24 PM »

B causes A.

Logic.

Critical thinking.

Not slurping.

Try This Cause/Effect scenario:

PG is the most important position on the floor in basketball much as QB is in football. 

When the most important position on the floor is the weakest link....and by historic proportions -  7% 3 pt shooting, no midrange game, will only shoot at the goal, and doesn't need to be defended within 5 feet on the perimeter, while shooting 43% from the FT line -

The effect on the other 4 guys on the court is huge and makes otherwise good players not as good as they can be at basketball...or in effect "MU" bad at basketball.

And I do love how you and the others are already trying to find ways to rationalize your way out of us being better next season...we will be...and it will be because Derrick won't be playing 30-40 minutes every game...Carlino/Dawson/Duane will...and of course as you point out..

MU needs a better performance out of its head coach this upcoming season - which it will get - as Buzz was as bad as a coach could possibly be last year.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #246 on: April 29, 2014, 03:39:09 PM »
Try This Cause/Effect scenario:

PG is the most important position on the floor in basketball much as QB is in football. 

When the most important position on the floor is the weakest link....and by historic proportions -  7% 3 pt shooting, no midrange game, will only shoot at the goal, and doesn't need to be defended within 5 feet on the perimeter, while shooting 43% from the FT line -

The effect on the other 4 guys on the court is huge and makes otherwise good players not as good as they can be at basketball...or in effect "MU" bad at basketball.

And I do love how you and the others are already trying to find ways to rationalize your way out of us being better next season...we will be...and it will be because Derrick won't be playing 30-40 minutes every game...Carlino/Dawson/Duane will...and of course as you point out..

MU needs a better performance out of its head coach this upcoming season - which it will get - as Buzz was as bad as a coach could possibly be last year.

Not rationalizing, its just logic 101.

noblewarrior

• Starter
« Reply #247 on: April 30, 2014, 12:23:54 AM »
I always had more of an affinity towards Captain kirk than Spock. 

Not rationalizing, its just logic 101.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #248 on: April 30, 2014, 08:00:29 AM »
I mostly agree with Ners ... and I still wish he'd can it already.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback