collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Watches  (Read 31798 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Watches
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2014, 05:15:04 PM »
Some women, I understand, wear ties.

Yea, but some men wear lingerie so it's a push...

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2014, 05:20:37 PM »
No other jewelry other than wedding band.  

So, what? Your nipple rings don't count as jewelry now??

Death on call

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2014, 05:50:50 PM »
What will you do if there is a thermo nuclear war and the EMP fries your cell phone? How will you know when you have to leave the hut for the oncologist?

You can get a watch that tells perfect time at Dollar Tree.

Face it; guys wear high-end watches because it is the only acceptable form of expensive jewelry that a man can wear unless he is a gangster or a hip hop mogul. 
Have some patience, FFS.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2014, 11:10:04 PM »
Face it; guys wear high-end watches because it is the only acceptable form of expensive jewelry that a man can wear unless he is a gangster or a hip hop mogul. 

Pilots have always been associated with higher end time pieces and US military aviators have worn Rolex since the Hat in the Ring Squadron arrived in France. The Rolex is as much a part of aviation history as silk scarves, open cockpits, single malt, cohibas, and fast women.

Col. Buzz Aldrin, USAF

Luftwaffe Bomber Crew does pre-launch time hack to ensure mission precision

The Fighter Pilot

As Seen by Himself:

An incredibly intelligent, erudite, tall, handsome, innovative, and highly trained professional killer, idol to countless females, and Gentleman Adventurer, who wears an understated class ring, carries a hair-trigger 9MM Beretta in a specially designed, hand-made quick draw holster along with his trusty survival knife, who is always on time thanks to his ability to obtain immediate transportation and the reliability of an incredibly sh1t hot Rolex watch.

As seen by his wife:

A disreputable member of the family who comes home once a year all bruised up, driving a stolen jeep up to the back door carrying a B-4 bag full of dirty laundry, wearing a stained flight suit, smelling of stale booze, Cuban cigars, and JP-8, wearing a huge watch that cost more than my engagement ring, an ugly gold ring he won in a card game, and that damn ugly beat-up pistol in that stupid holster, who will three months later go out the front door, thankfully for another year.

As seen by his commander:

A fine specimen of a drunken, brawling, jeep stealing, woman corrupting liar, with a humungous gold ring, fantastically accurate Rolex watch, an unauthorized 9mm Beretta in a non-regulation shoulder holster, and trusty survival knife.

As seen by Wing Headquarters:

The embodiment of a drunken, brawling, jeep stealing, woman corrupting, lying, zipper-suited Sun God, with a ring, a proscribed 1911A1 .45 in a non-regulation shoulder holster, an impressive Rolex Submariner, who for some reason carries a survival knife.

As seen by the DoD:

An overpaid, rule-ignoring, over-ranked tax burden, who is unfortunately totally indispensable simply because he has volunteered to go anywhere, and do anything, at any time, only so long as he can booze it up, brawl, steal jeeps, corrupt women, lie, and wear a gold class ring, an oversized Rolex watch funded by US tax dollars, and carry an obsolete hand gun and a survival knife.

As seen by the enemy:

The implacable face of death wearing an immaculate Rolex!

Death on call

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2014, 08:06:13 AM »
Not sure what you mean. I didn't buy my Rolex - my fighter pilot father gave it to when I got my wings (just as his fighter pilot father gave him one when he completed USAF pilot training.) For whatever reason, USAF pilots have been wearing them since Eddie Rickenbacker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFtHjV4c4uw

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2014, 08:43:32 AM »
you f*ckers aint usin' a time piece in the waist coat pocket with a chain, you ain't usin sh!t.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2014, 08:58:01 AM »
I don't own a single watch, so I'm very confused with the majority of what is being said here.

I'm looking to buy a watch in the near future, keep it under 300 dollars. What is a good, quality brand that is durable, but looks clean? I'm not at all a fan of the bulky watches with lots of silver, I've personally thought of them as too gaudy. Something much more refined. My dad has a Skagen, but I don't know anything about the company or heritage. Anyone familiar with it?

A picture for reference. The blue is a magnificent hue, the picture really doesn't do it justice.

What would you guys suggest as a good beginner's watch? Not something I would necessarily pass down, but something for  a dinner/party. Not everyday use, but something that will be frequently worn.

Lastly, if possible, please explain with not too technical terms, as I'm completely in uncharted territory for me. Thanks!

Appearance is largely a matter of personal preference, but if you are looking for something that you can wear in lots of different situations, formal, business and casual, I'd suggest a simple white face watch with a leather strap that can be changed out to brown or black, depending on what you are wearing. The strap should match your shoes.

If you are looking to stay under $300, it will likely have to be a quartz watch, which are less expensive but keep very accurate time.

I'd suggest Seiko or Citizen, as those are some of the better brands of quartz watches:

http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/AO3010-05A.asp?p=froogle&s=AO3010-05A&zmam=71591610&zmas=1&zmac=62&zmap=AO3010-05A&gclid=CPeb0ruPiL0CFbFaMgod_hUAIw

The watch you attached looks fine, again its a matter of personal preference. I'd just suggest something more versatile, that you can wear with different outfits/colors (black AND brown, for example) if you are only going to buy one.

EDIT: I know nothing about the site I linked to, I am not endorsing it as a place to buy watches, just using that as an example of a type of watch I'd recommend.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 09:12:23 AM by Bleuteaux »

GOO

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2014, 10:06:57 AM »
Since this is a message board, feel free to ignore my unsolicited, somewhat different Jesuit/Buddhist, advice to not buy an expensive watch:

1.  Wait for a good functional Apple iWatch or good android compatible watch.  In other words, something that does a lot more than simply tell you the time (which you don't need anymore since we have our phones with us or a computer with us at all times).  

If you don't have a cell phone, well, get a cell phone first then worry about the watch  :D

Seriously, watches really serve no practical function anymore.  That is about to change with the new computer based watches.  But, don't buy the current generation of Samsung watches, you need to wait for at least the next generation of those.  These will be functional and not just for looks.

2.  Since a traditional watch has little to no purpose anymore, it is jewelry, as mentioned above.  Unless your in the CIA or Seals, you don't need a watch that keeps time for a generation to the second.  And if you do, there are actually cheap electronic watches that do a better job and even some now that can sync wirelesssly that keep better time.  

3.  So adding, 2 and 3 there is no reason to get an expensive watch unless you want to impress others or need to impress yourself.  If you need to impress others, ask your self what is really missing and why.  If you need to impress yourself, ask yourself the same question. Read a couple of books on Buddhism and the pope. Then take the money and save it, or donate it to a great cause.  

If you really need to impress yourself and feel good about possessing something, seriously, understand why...  And if you need to impress that stranger with a material item, well, again really think about that one... and if it is someone of the opposite sex that you want to impress, run away if he/she is impressed!

If you simply need to tell time, well see number 1.  A watch purchase isn't about telling time.

4.  After thinking about number 3, realize a couple of real important fundamental issues in our Western society that have spread across the planet resulting in over consumption and materialism, and the need for us to adopt a real life Jesuit/Buddhist philosophy to benefit us and our fellow creatures:  

A.  The West mistakes pleasure for happiness.  A key reason that we with so much, are less happy then so many people with so little... you will never be happy by possessing things or wanting things.

We compensate by spending and buying things, such as BMW's, etc, which gives short term pleasure but will never result in happiness.  Once one realize that material things will actually only lead to less happiness, one begins to understand that by not needing or wanting material things, and not wanting or needing to impress others or the self (ego/need to be different by possessing), will result in more happiness (and a better bank account or more generosity) and a more balanced life.  It is too bad that there is not enough Buddhist Philosophy taught by the Jesuits, or maybe I just miss it, but the Buddhist do such a great job of understanding the relationship of material things and the attachment to material things and the lack of happiness and explaining it.  The Jesuits do such a great job of living it as an example.  

B. The West obsession with conspicuous consumption and showing off material things, makes a lot of ills in our society.  Why does a kid kill another kid to possess some $250 sneakers?  Don't be part of the problem, reject materialism.  It is relative and starts with small items.  

In my job I see people on a daily basis and go over their assets/wealth.  I am amazed at how many people have expensive items but just spend money and in fact don't have much.  Spending and consuming their way through life... giving an outward appearance of wealth... and somehow they think they are wealthy because they have items that are worth less than they paid for them.   Generally, the guy who would wear the $1 black plastic watch is my bet for the guy that has money.  It isn't how much you make, it is how much you don't spend which determines what you have.  These people don't have egos to fill with stuff, know that material things do not result in happiness, and generally are more generous with their $ than the guy with a big house and BMW out to impress. Seriously, 9 out of 10 times it is the guy who you don't think has $ who has it and the guy who looks like they have it simply spend it and don't have it!

Okay, I will shut up now and let you continue in your inquiry of wanting to buy a watch.  

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2014, 10:08:25 AM »
Jack Spade is running a 50% off sale on select items. There are a few nice Dual Time watches that will cost approx $250 after shipping & taxes. Sale ends 3/13.

http://surplus.jackspade.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-JackSurplus-Site/en_US/Search-Show?cgid=watches

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2014, 10:16:44 AM »

Pilots have always been associated with higher end time pieces and US military aviators have worn Rolex since the Hat in the Ring Squadron arrived in France. The Rolex is as much a part of aviation history as silk scarves, open cockpits, single malt, cohibas, and fast women.

Hate to break it to ya, but the best timepieces - historically speaking - weren't worn by aviators... they were worn by railroad men.  Good, honest, hard working, railroad men who were keeping to tight schedules before Wilbur and Orville were at their mama's teat.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2014, 10:17:08 AM »
Since this is a message board, feel free to ignore my unsolicited, somewhat different Jesuit/Buddhist, advice to not buy an expensive watch:

1.  Wait for a good functional Apple iWatch or good android compatible watch.  In other words, something that does a lot more than simply tell you the time (which you don't need anymore since we have our phones with us or a computer with us at all times).  

If you don't have a cell phone, well, get a cell phone first then worry about the watch  :D

Seriously, watches really serve no practical function anymore.  That is about to change with the new computer based watches.  But, don't buy the current generation of Samsung watches, you need to wait for at least the next generation of those.  These will be functional and not just for looks.

2.  Since a traditional watch has little to no purpose anymore, it is jewelry, as mentioned above.  Unless your in the CIA or Seals, you don't need a watch that keeps time for a generation to the second.  And if you do, there are actually cheap electronic watches that do a better job and even some now that can sync wirelesssly that keep better time.  

3.  So adding, 2 and 3 there is no reason to get an expensive watch unless you want to impress others or need to impress yourself.  If you need to impress others, ask your self what is really missing and why.  If you need to impress yourself, ask yourself the same question. Read a couple of books on Buddhism and the pope. Then take the money and save it, or donate it to a great cause.  

If you really need to impress yourself and feel good about possessing something, seriously, understand why...  And if you need to impress that stranger with a material item, well, again really think about that one... and if it is someone of the opposite sex that you want to impress, run away if he/she is impressed!

If you simply need to tell time, well see number 1.  A watch purchase isn't about telling time.

4.  After thinking about number 3, realize a couple of real important fundamental issues in our Western society that have spread across the planet resulting in over consumption and materialism, and the need for us to adopt a real life Jesuit/Buddhist philosophy to benefit us and our fellow creatures:  

A.  The West mistakes pleasure for happiness.  A key reason that we with so much, are less happy then so many people with so little... you will never be happy by possessing things or wanting things.

We compensate by spending and buying things, such as BMW's, etc, which gives short term pleasure but will never result in happiness.  Once one realize that material things will actually only lead to less happiness, one begins to understand that by not needing or wanting material things, and not wanting or needing to impress others or the self (ego/need to be different by possessing), will result in more happiness (and a better bank account or more generosity) and a more balanced life.  It is too bad that there is not enough Buddhist Philosophy taught by the Jesuits, or maybe I just miss it, but the Buddhist do such a great job of understanding the relationship of material things and the attachment to material things and the lack of happiness and explaining it.  The Jesuits do such a great job of living it as an example.  

B. The West obsession with conspicuous consumption and showing off material things, makes a lot of ills in our society.  Why does a kid kill another kid to possess some $250 sneakers?  Don't be part of the problem, reject materialism.  It is relative and starts with small items.  

In my job I see people on a daily basis and go over their assets/wealth.  I am amazed at how many people have expensive items but just spend money and in fact don't have much.  Spending and consuming their way through life... giving an outward appearance of wealth... and somehow they think they are wealthy because they have items that are worth less than they paid for them.   Generally, the guy who would wear the $1 black plastic watch is my bet for the guy that has money.  It isn't how much you make, it is how much you don't spend which determines what you have.  These people don't have egos to fill with stuff, know that material things do not result in happiness, and generally are more generous with their $ than the guy with a big house and BMW out to impress. Seriously, 9 out of 10 times it is the guy who you don't think has $ who has it and the guy who looks like they have it simply spend it and don't have it!

Okay, I will shut up now and let you continue in your inquiry of wanting to buy a watch.  

I hear everything you are saying. I really do. Let me just offer a counterpoint.

I agree that a watch is relatively obsolete from a time telling standpoint, we all have mobile phones.

But I would like a nice watch (not a Rolex mind you, but something that is quality, Swiss made) because in professional settings it would add to my appearance. It is not a matter of impressing anyone, per se, but its for the same reason I buy a decent pair of shoes, when I could wear something cheaper to work, or shell out $30 for a hair cut, when I could just buzz my hair short. Its to look professional. I think its ok to look professional. If someone is just buying a fancy watch to show off for peers/feel good about himself, then I agree with you.

Finally, I think its important to remember who is making the product and make an ethical choice of you buy from and who is impacted by that choice. You could buy a cheap watch made in China, but that is supporting child workers and slave wages. For that matter, when you buy a smartphone or smartwatch, you are also supporting the same slave wages as the products are made by Foxxcon. If you buy a Swiss watch, you are supporting an industry that is rooted in craftmanship and centuries of excellence. The people making the watches get a living wage and it is one of the pillars of Swiss industry. It keeps people employed, and pays them enough to live a happy existence.

Someone once criticized the Pope (Benedict, not Frankie) for wearing $300 leather shoes. But the Pope bought them from a local Italian cobbler, who charges those prices because he needs to in order to stay in business to make hand-made shoes. The price supports the dignity of his craft and keeps him in business. In my opinion, it is a more ethical choice than to support slave wages making shoes you can buy for $50 at DSW (not to mention that a good pair of shoes should last 4 or 5 times longer than a cheap pair, if you take care of them and get the soles replaced when necessary, making it more of an investment then a frivolous purchase).

I'm with you on cars, the difference between a Toyota and a Lexus is negligible and you really are just paying for the nameplate.

But some products, such as watches and shoes, are still handmade by craftsmen, and are expensive for a reason, and that reason is so they can live on their craft. I see nothing immoral in supporting those folks.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 10:28:02 AM by Bleuteaux »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2014, 10:39:04 AM »
Hate to break it to ya, but the best timepieces - historically speaking - weren't worn by aviators... they were worn by railroad men.  Good, honest, hard working, railroad men who were keeping to tight schedules before Wilbur and Orville were at their mama's teat.

+1  My grandfather was a railroad man, and one of our family's most treasured possessions is his pocket watch. He started as an errand boy the day after he graduated from the eighth grade (doing things like going to the taverns on the "wrong" side of East St. Louis to get beer for the older guys), and worked his way up to managing the switching yard.

He was very anal retentive, even for a German, so you know that timepiece had to be accurate.

Nowadays, an expensive watch for a guy is the equivalent to a mink coat for a woman. No one buys them for function.
Have some patience, FFS.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2014, 10:45:50 AM »
I get it, and I have my own personal vices (custom suits), for many of the reasons you outlined.  I don't like the fact that personal appearance matters so much, but we still have to live IN the world to function in business.  And you have to pay way too much for locally made suits that are not made in Asia.  I have tried to change this  habit, but I like a suit that fits really well... my hang up, I guess!

I don't like wearing suits that cost so much, but understand it... it isn't about show as no one knows they are not off the rack... I really wish the West coast tech dress influence would get to the Midwest faster so I could wear Jeans and a shirt!  That fits my philosophy, but until then...

So I do understand, and we do have to function within our professions as unfortunate as that may be.

I'd much rather not wear suits, but there is a need still in the Midwest to function in my profession.  And then to get one that fits well, I can't seem to find it off the rack.  I don't like it and want to put the money to better use, but again, it is a hang up of mine, I guess.

A good pair of shoes can be better for the environment than a bunch of cheap ones that can't be resoled, etc.  I'm sure the same goes for a watch.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2014, 11:06:57 AM »
While I get the whole watch is obsoleted thing, a couple of reasons to consider that goes into my buying decision a watch as both a functional product and as part of my "look".  First, there is no way to subtly look at your cellphone for the time while in a meeting, I can easily do that with my watch and avoid offending individuals who are boring me.  Second, my Skyhawk syncs to the atomic clock network so I always have the correct time regardless of time zone and regardless of whether I have a CDMA or GMS phone.  Third, I don't have to worry about my time telling piece being out of juice.  Lastly, I can use the watch all sorts of features like stop watch, etc and doing so much more discretely than with a phone.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GOO

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2014, 11:35:23 AM »
While I get the whole watch is obsoleted thing, a couple of reasons to consider that goes into my buying decision a watch as both a functional product and as part of my "look".  First, there is no way to subtly look at your cellphone for the time while in a meeting, I can easily do that with my watch and avoid offending individuals who are boring me.  Second, my Skyhawk syncs to the atomic clock network so I always have the correct time regardless of time zone and regardless of whether I have a CDMA or GMS phone.  Third, I don't have to worry about my time telling piece being out of juice.  Lastly, I can use the watch all sorts of features like stop watch, etc and doing so much more discretely than with a phone.

Well, the Buddhist philosophy about focusing on the present and living in the moment..... just kidding... I understand.  Get yourself a good Casio for $5 bucks or whatever they cost now  ;)

Seriously, I'll stop posting in this thread so you can get on with the watch business. 

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2014, 11:40:03 AM »
If I can't guess what the time is, and I'm known for doing that with extreme accuracy, I just ask the closest person next to me that is bound to be wearing a watch (assuming there isn't one already mounted on the wall)

<watchfree for 30 years>
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 12:41:35 PM by Waldo Jeffers »

reinko

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2014, 12:38:20 PM »
I'm with Cosmo, tell it by looking at the sun.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2014, 01:53:40 PM »

Hate to break it to you but the railroads in the US and most of Europe were notoriously bad about maintaining schedule. In fact, the first train system to actually run on anything close to the published schedule was in Japan in the 1920's.

The fallacy of train men and time pieces is that a yard man or conductor do little to influence adherence to schedule. Even the engineers were at the mercy of far too many factors beyond their control.

The nature of flight and the synchronization of flight operations has always required greater precision than most other endeavors. And going back to its earliest days, aviators have opted for time pieces that delivered the requisite degree of accuracy. To this day, a standard part of every mission briefing is the "time hack," where everyone synchs their watches. I can think of no other profession where participants strive for such split second rigor.

There is a reason so many watch companies employ aviation imagery in their branding. No watch company in their right mind would ever wish to associate their brand with trains!

Death on call

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2014, 01:57:02 PM »
+1  My grandfather was a railroad man, and one of our family's most treasured possessions is his pocket watch. He started as an errand boy the day after he graduated from the eighth grade (doing things like going to the taverns on the "wrong" side of East St. Louis to get beer for the older guys), and worked his way up to managing the switching yard.

He was very anal retentive, even for a German, so you know that timepiece had to be accurate.

Nowadays, an expensive watch for a guy is the equivalent to a mink coat for a woman. No one buys them for function.

Some good nudie bars in EStL.  Your grandpa musta been a connoisseur.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2014, 02:06:22 PM »
Some good nudie bars in EStL.  Your grandpa musta been a connoisseur.

I haven't been back since the '70s.  My dad visited 5 or 6 years ago.  The home he grew up in - the home my grandfather built with his own two hands (he wouldn't let any of his friends help - their workmanship wasn't up to his standards) was the only house on the entire block that wasn't torn down or abandoned.

And I asked my dad if he had ever seen Ike Turner perform there - that is where he got his start - and he replied that even in the '50's, that wasn't a part of town where you were safe to go at night.
Have some patience, FFS.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2014, 02:15:35 PM »
Hate to break it to you but the railroads in the US and most of Europe were notoriously bad about maintaining schedule. In fact, the first train system to actually run on anything close to the published schedule was in Japan in the 1920's.

well how far can trains in Japan vs. the US? 200 miles vs. 1500 or more?

just because the trains didn't run on time doesn't mean it was the fault of the engineer's watch  ;)

;D and then there is

« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 02:37:07 PM by Waldo Jeffers »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2014, 03:20:20 PM »
I'd like to see a conductor hide that locomotive watch up his ass for 7 years in the Hanoi Hilton

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2014, 03:21:12 PM »
So, what? Your nipple rings don't count as jewelry now??

Just the scrotum rings, not the nipple rings

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2014, 03:23:30 PM »
I'd like to see a conductor hide that locomotive watch up his ass for 7 years in the Hanoi Hilton

The words "locomotive" and "ass" typically shouldn't occur in the same sentence... but you added "Hilton" in said sentence, so I guess that's ok.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2014, 03:26:02 PM »
They make all of us busboys wear them while on the clock at the J O B.

Professional attire is appropriate for doing business in certain settings. Ties are an integral part of such attire (for a man)...

Some women, I understand, wear ties. Women in ties is similar to men wearing watches.

Chicos, did you have an ear pierced back in the day? You strike me as a guy who would have back in the old days (late 80s, early 90s).

I still have it pierced, I just don't wear an earring any more, but I could slip it in now if need be.  Frowned upon at work so I don't bother.  In a few more years when I go Mr. Clean with the hair, perhaps just to scare the crap out of my wife.  When I surfed, wore my cross around the neck, but no jewelry any more, just the wedding band and a watch....keeping it simple.