[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Watches  (Read 31795 times)

mugoose

• Team Captain
Re: Watches
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2014, 10:51:55 AM »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2014, 11:12:22 AM »
Benny...thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-H70555523-Khaki-Field-Automatic/dp/B006GCP33K/ref=lp_5777494011_1_14?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1394206825&sr=1-14

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Jazzmaster-Black-Leather-H32505731/dp/B0085RLW4S/ref=sr_1_73?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1394206975&sr=1-73

Fair prices?

Ignore the list price.  Hamilton's "soft" pricing - that just about every dealer should honor - is roughly 20% off list; anything beyond that is up to the dealer (they might tell you that no dealer can sell below X%, but that would merely be a sales tactic).   In any event, you can get the Khaki just about anywhere for $500 + tax, and perhaps even less if you're willing to negotiate.

The Amazon price seems fair, but the question really boils down to whether you'd pay an extra $70 to be able to a) see and feel the watch before you buy it and b) purchase from an authorized dealer.

When you buy online, any warranty you get is a "seller's" warranty (not the mfg's warranty), and personally, I wouldn't make a major purchase like this unless I knew the mfg was going to stand behind it... you could get a brand new watch in stellar condition that works forever, or you might end up with a remanufactured watch or a genuine case with a counterfeit movement.  If you know the e-seller and they have a good reputation, go for it... but I wouldn't recommend buying anything of significance from a seller whose name is "Certified [product] Store"

Personally, I recommend going to Abt and/or Rogers & Hollands first... see if they have the watch in-stock and ask what their bottom-line cash price is (if you don't pay with a CC, you'll get a better deal)... if they knock off anything less than 20%, harumph a little and ask them again.  Maybe offer something less, and see where that goes.  Work the deal a bit, get to a price, and then ask yourself if you'd rather spend $430 to buy sight-unseen.   The downside here is that not every dealer stocks every model, so the local store may not have this on hand, and you're always going to get a better discount on in-stock item than something they have to order.  Because Hamilton doesn't have the cachet that Tag, Rolex, etc. has, don't be surprised if you only see a couple dozen Hamiltons in the case... sometimes if display space is limited, they'll have more "in the safe"... always ask if every Hamilton they have is on display.

If you can get a dealer to knock off 25-30%, that's a fair price.  35% or more, that's a great price from a dealer.  But if I was buying online, I wouldn't take my chances for anything that wasn't at least 50% off list, and even still, I would do some research on the seller first.

EDIT: To clarify... when I say "dealer," I mean "authorized dealer."
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 11:16:26 AM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2014, 02:22:41 PM »

I have found that watches depend on the situation. My folks gave me a Rolex Submariner when I finished flight school and that has proven indestructible. An important note on Rolexes - you MUST have them tuned about every 4-5 years and that will cost about $400. They actually get sent back to Switzerland where they undergo an overhaul. If you don't have this done your Rolex will not keep accurate time.

My wife thought the Rolex was too clunky and she got me a Baume & Mercier Hampton for wearing when we got dressed up. It is a rectangular faced Art Deco design that I hated at first since I was used to wearing a slab of steel but I grew to appreciate the Baume & Mercier's elegance. I actually wore this watch more during my corporate life in Asia as stylistically it worked better with a dark blue suit. And unlike the Rolex, it doesn't require the expensive routine maintenance.

When flying I always wore the Rolex but for field operations I realized that if I were to catch one in the head my parent's gift would end up on the wrist of some Taliban chucklehead so I ended up getting a plastic quartz watch. I found that the variety of functions (chronometer, timer, alarm, multiple screens, etc...) made these indispensable tools for being outside the wire and there was no way I would scratch the crystal (which I did with my Rolex and it was bloody expensive to get that fixed.)

I have two plastic watches - the Timex Rugged Expedition and the Casio G Shock. Both will last forever and are superb time pieces - a $100 Casio keeps better time than anything made in Switzerland. In a world where split second coordination is crucial the quartz watches are best. Like most of my JSOC buds I ended up wearing the G Shock most often as it was better for reasons of diverse functionality and ergonomics.

Before pulling out your cash, think through what situations you need in a watch because that will guide your decision. Remember that a Casio G Shock is a better time piece with more functions but isn't always the best choice for business and social situations. Watches are jewelry and you are making a statement through your choice.

Death on call

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2014, 02:29:05 PM »
Before pulling out your cash, think through what situations you need in a watch because that will guide your decision. Remember that a Casio G Shock is a better time piece with more functions but isn't always the best choice for business and social situations. Watches are jewelry and you are making a statement through your choice.

I have a sport watch right now, looking to buy something dressier that can be worn with a suit for weddings, interviews, etc. etc.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2014, 02:53:03 PM »
I have a sport watch right now, looking to buy something dressier that can be worn with a suit for weddings, interviews, etc. etc.

If you want a watch that you can pass down through multiple generations as a legacy then get a Rolex. If you want something more stylish I would recommend a Baume & Mercier or Piaget.

Avoid Tags - they say, "Couldn't afford a Rolex."

Death on call

StateStreetMission

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2014, 07:49:28 PM »
It looks like the Boulton II watch.  Swatch still makes the line today, but the Boulton was Hamilton's most popular watch from the 1940s through the 1960s, and perhaps was the most popular watch in the nation during a period of that time.  The Boulton II has the 770 movement; at the time the 770 was regarded as one of the best manual-wind movements in the world, so you've got a solid piece there.  Unfortunately, due to the popularity of the watch, it's not exactly a priceless collector's item, but that inscription is awesome.

You can typically date the Boulton by the factory markings/inscription on the back of the case, but in this case, the custom inscription has pretty much done that for you, so no questions there.

As to Mr. Parker... I'm going to have to leave that to the sweater-vest crowd here.

Thanks for your reply, Benny
We just opened it up and found that it is a 731 movement,  only number on the inside of the case  is S104302
Stainless steel case back,  10 K gold filled bezel
The Australian collector that it was purchased from says it's a Hamilton "Scott"
I attached a photo of the front, just in case you are curious to see it.
The MU connection and being a thoughtful gift from my family make this very special to me. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2014, 02:25:38 AM »
My son-in-law is a big fan of mechanical movement watches and finds some very nice pieces on the internet. He also buys older , non working pieces mostly from estate sales and repairs / restores them as a hobby.
He recently purchased a vintage Hamilton ( American movement) watch on the internet from Australia and gave it to me as a gift.

Check out the inscription on the back!

1965 was a little bit before my time at MU, but now I am very curious to find out the history behind this watch.

If any MUSCOOPERS can help me with suggestions or info, I would greatly appreciate it  

Weird.

Googled it and this was immediately linked: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watts_Riots

Can't be though...
SS Marquette

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2014, 08:19:36 AM »
If you want a watch that you can pass down through multiple generations as a legacy then get a Rolex. If you want something more stylish I would recommend a Baume & Mercier or Piaget.

Avoid Tags - they say, "Couldn't afford a Rolex."

Rolex... also the preferred watch brand of the Ayatollahs.  That's some great company, flyboy.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2014, 08:25:38 AM »
Ignore the list price.  Hamilton's "soft" pricing - that just about every dealer should honor - is roughly 20% off list; anything beyond that is up to the dealer (they might tell you that no dealer can sell below X%, but that would merely be a sales tactic).   In any event, you can get the Khaki just about anywhere for $500 + tax, and perhaps even less if you're willing to negotiate.

The Amazon price seems fair, but the question really boils down to whether you'd pay an extra $70 to be able to a) see and feel the watch before you buy it and b) purchase from an authorized dealer.

When you buy online, any warranty you get is a "seller's" warranty (not the mfg's warranty), and personally, I wouldn't make a major purchase like this unless I knew the mfg was going to stand behind it... you could get a brand new watch in stellar condition that works forever, or you might end up with a remanufactured watch or a genuine case with a counterfeit movement.  If you know the e-seller and they have a good reputation, go for it... but I wouldn't recommend buying anything of significance from a seller whose name is "Certified [product] Store"

Personally, I recommend going to Abt and/or Rogers & Hollands first... see if they have the watch in-stock and ask what their bottom-line cash price is (if you don't pay with a CC, you'll get a better deal)... if they knock off anything less than 20%, harumph a little and ask them again.  Maybe offer something less, and see where that goes.  Work the deal a bit, get to a price, and then ask yourself if you'd rather spend $430 to buy sight-unseen.   The downside here is that not every dealer stocks every model, so the local store may not have this on hand, and you're always going to get a better discount on in-stock item than something they have to order.  Because Hamilton doesn't have the cachet that Tag, Rolex, etc. has, don't be surprised if you only see a couple dozen Hamiltons in the case... sometimes if display space is limited, they'll have more "in the safe"... always ask if every Hamilton they have is on display.

If you can get a dealer to knock off 25-30%, that's a fair price.  35% or more, that's a great price from a dealer.  But if I was buying online, I wouldn't take my chances for anything that wasn't at least 50% off list, and even still, I would do some research on the seller first.

EDIT: To clarify... when I say "dealer," I mean "authorized dealer."

Benny, this is really helpful. Thank you. There is an authorized dealer who can sell the Jazzmaster Day/Date to me for $630. It's more than the $570 Amazon price but he came down $250 from $880. It seems reasonable considering it includes the manufacturers warranty.

I love the look of the watch. It's very classic, looks out of the 60s, and a Swiss mechanical in my price range. I think I'm going to pull the trigger.

Keefe, I hear you loud and clear on Rolexes but I don't have 5k laying around at the moment. A Hamilton in my 20s, a Rolex in my 30s perhaps.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 08:27:37 AM by Bleuteaux »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2014, 08:27:49 AM »
I find it odd that a Rolex would need to be sent every 4 to 5 years back to the mfg to make sure it keeps time properly.  One would think with the reputation of that watch, this wouldn't be required.

My wife bought me a Michael Kors watch....no idea if it is any good....looks nice, works well, mostly wear it at work.  Have a more rugged, G-Shock for when I'm out playing.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2014, 08:35:04 AM »
I find it odd that a Rolex would need to be sent every 4 to 5 years back to the mfg to make sure it keeps time properly.  One would think with the reputation of that watch, this wouldn't be required.

My wife bought me a Michael Kors watch....no idea if it is any good....looks nice, works well, mostly wear it at work.  Have a more rugged, G-Shock for when I'm out playing.

Based on my limited research Michael Kors is a very nice designer brand, comparable to Gucci or Coach, but not quite on the level of a Swiss luxury brand.

The more I'm reading about this the more similarities I am finding to wine. There are $1000 bottles but if you like a $30 bottle you should get what you like, not what someone else says is better because of the price tag.

StateStreetMission

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2014, 09:21:12 AM »
Weird.

Googled it and this was immediately linked: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watts_Riots

Can't be though...

Yes, William H. Parker was the L.A. Police chief  and Marquette Frye was the 21 year old African American that was pulled over for suspicion of drunk driving.  Things got out of hand during the arrest, and news spread quickly ....  it was the spark that touched off the powder keg
So, every search of William Parker + Marquette+ 1965 leads to Watts riots.

I think we can safely assume MU didn't give that guy a watch.

my quest continues !

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2014, 09:27:14 AM »
I have a phone that tells time. Why wear a watch on my person? Next you guys will be rockin necklaces and tiffany bracelets.

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2014, 09:33:50 AM »
I have a phone that tells time. Why wear a watch on my person? Next you guys will be rockin necklaces and tiffany bracelets.

No other jewelry other than wedding band.  Don't care to have my phone on my person all the time.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2014, 09:58:55 AM »
Rolex... also the preferred watch brand of the Ayatollahs.  That's some great company, flyboy.

Not sure what you mean. I didn't buy my Rolex - my fighter pilot father gave it to when I got my wings (just as his fighter pilot father gave him one when he completed USAF pilot training.) For whatever reason, USAF pilots have been wearing them since Eddie Rickenbacker.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2014, 10:08:20 AM »

That is the recommended maintenance cycle. It is a thorough overhaul and you get back a brand new time piece. Everything is included so it is a form of insurance, too. I had scratched the crystal diving in Sulawesi so I asked a Rolex shop in Singapore about replacing it and they said it would be cheaper to send it in for the scheduled maintenance as Rolex would replace the crystal as part of that service.

I have found that my Rolex will run about 5 minutes fast after about 5 years from the last servicing. I compare that with the only watches I have bought personally - the G Shock and Timex - which keep perfect time and are still on the original battery. 

Death on call

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2014, 10:57:46 AM »
Plenty of Submariners around for way less than 5k when I was looking but the bloom fell off the rose when the Persian Princes of BH used to drive around with the driver 's window down and the wrist draped outside to show off their Bejeweled Datejust.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2014, 04:22:49 PM »
Plenty of Submariners around for way less than 5k when I was looking but the bloom fell off the rose when the Persian Princes of BH used to drive around with the driver 's window down and the wrist draped outside to show off their Bejeweled Datejust.

I'm not sure what this references but American fighter pilots and Rolexes have been flying together for a long time. And I'll look toward Col. Chuck Yeager for advice on aviator timepieces

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2014, 07:40:07 PM »

So, when you get held up, ya only gotta hand over one item, not two? Smart ass dude, that BeeJay.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2014, 09:25:09 PM »
So, when you get held up, ya only gotta hand over one item, not two? Smart ass dude, that BeeJay.

Never said I didn't carry a gun.

IIRC, your reason for not wearing a watch was that "it got in the way when you were having fun with your buddies at the Pfister" or something like that?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2014, 09:26:30 PM »

Why do you wear ties?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2014, 09:38:38 PM »
Why do you wear ties?

They make all of us busboys wear them while on the clock at the J O B.

Professional attire is appropriate for doing business in certain settings. Ties are an integral part of such attire (for a man)...

Some women, I understand, wear ties. Women in ties is similar to men wearing watches.

Chicos, did you have an ear pierced back in the day? You strike me as a guy who would have back in the old days (late 80s, early 90s).

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2014, 09:44:32 PM »
Bit of advice, youngan, don't get your tie caught in a Cerac machine.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2014, 03:51:39 AM »

What will you do if there is a thermo nuclear war and the EMP fries your cell phone? How will you know when you have to leave the hut for the oncologist?

Death on call

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2014, 04:15:26 AM »
What will you do if there is a thermo nuclear war and the EMP fries your cell phone? How will you know when you have to leave the hut for the oncologist?

lmao thanks.  I needed this.

feedback