collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Watches  (Read 31797 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Watches
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2014, 03:26:48 PM »
That is the recommended maintenance cycle. It is a thorough overhaul and you get back a brand new time piece. Everything is included so it is a form of insurance, too. I had scratched the crystal diving in Sulawesi so I asked a Rolex shop in Singapore about replacing it and they said it would be cheaper to send it in for the scheduled maintenance as Rolex would replace the crystal as part of that service.

I have found that my Rolex will run about 5 minutes fast after about 5 years from the last servicing. I compare that with the only watches I have bought personally - the G Shock and Timex - which keep perfect time and are still on the original battery. 

Thank you for the education on that.  I can't imagine ever owning a Rolex, just don't have that interest so I would not have known.  Appreciate it.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2014, 05:29:52 PM »
Thanks for your reply, Benny
We just opened it up and found that it is a 731 movement,  only number on the inside of the case  is S104302
Stainless steel case back,  10 K gold filled bezel
The Australian collector that it was purchased from says it's a Hamilton "Scott"
I attached a photo of the front, just in case you are curious to see it.
The MU connection and being a thoughtful gift from my family make this very special to me. 

Sorry, in the fun of ripping on Keefe's stereotypical aviator mentality when it comes to overindulgences, I missed this additional info... so you think you got the "bald figureskater watch," eh?  (The Hamilton "Scott".... haha)

You're right that it's definitely the Scott, specifically the 60s version of the Scott (there were two earlier incarnations of the Scott, the original in 1935-1938 and the second in the 1950s)... additional horology (not the study of which Jay Bee and ZFB are thinking) on this piece: the earlier of the 60s Scott (c. 1963) typically came with the 730 movement... the later versions were made with the 731 movement (a variation on the 730 but with a Swiss screwless balance - again not what Jay Bee and ZFB are thinking), so the date matches perfectly with the inscription.  In any event, the retail on these watches were $70-80 at the time, making them an upper-end model, because they had 18k gold hands and numbers.

Incidentally, I can't find mention of another Hamilton that shipped with the 731 movement.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2014, 08:50:47 PM »
well how far can trains in Japan vs. the US? 200 miles vs. 1500 or more?

I grew up in Tokyo and lived there several times as an adult. The issue with train schedules is not distances but passenger load. The Japanese rail system carries more than 15 billion passengers a year. If you have never been to a Tokyo train station, especially one on the Yamanote Line during rush hour, you cannot possibly fathom how impressive is that feat.

Perhaps the truest indication of cultural time orientation is how individuals communicate measurement. An American will say, "about 20 minutes" while a Japanese will say, "In 17 minutes." Not only is the precision more acute but adherence to time is absolute in Japan.  (Japanese do the same thing with distance - they will state 17.5 km rather than about 20 km.)

When I first moved to Indonesia I was appalled at the blasé attitude towards time in Jakarta. A 10:00 am meeting would find people drifting in as late as 10:30. More shocking, is that there was no sense of having done anything wrong. I took to locking the door to a conference room and ignoring the late comers - within a week people understood that punctuality was non-negotiable.

I learned from my secretary that people would ask if a time was "Pribumi 10 o'clock or Bulet 10 o'clock?" meaning is that Indonesian time or foreigner time?

http://www.rappler.com/world/regions/asia-pacific/39224-clockwork-precision-on-the-tokyo-subway

Death on call

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2014, 09:42:42 PM »
Sorry, in the fun of ripping on Keefe's stereotypical aviator mentality when it comes to overindulgences, I missed this additional info... so you think you got the "bald figureskater watch," eh?  (The Hamilton "Scott".... haha)

You're right that it's definitely the Scott, specifically the 60s version of the Scott (there were two earlier incarnations of the Scott, the original in 1935-1938 and the second in the 1950s)... additional horology (not the study of which Jay Bee and ZFB are thinking) on this piece: the earlier of the 60s Scott (c. 1963) typically came with the 730 movement... the later versions were made with the 731 movement (a variation on the 730 but with a Swiss screwless balance - again not what Jay Bee and ZFB are thinking), so the date matches perfectly with the inscription.  In any event, the retail on these watches were $70-80 at the time, making them an upper-end model, because they had 18k gold hands and numbers.

Incidentally, I can't find mention of another Hamilton that shipped with the 731 movement.

You know who else keeps good time....strippers and hookers.  2 songs or 30 minutes: bam, you're done.

I'd rather have a lady of the night on my arm than a piece of metal.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2014, 07:12:25 AM »
I grew up in Tokyo and lived there several times as an adult. The issue with train schedules is not distances but passenger load. The Japanese rail system carries more than 15 billion passengers a year. If you have never been to a Tokyo train station, especially one on the Yamanote Line during rush hour, you cannot possibly fathom how impressive is that feat.

Perhaps the truest indication of cultural time orientation is how individuals communicate measurement. An American will say, "about 20 minutes" while a Japanese will say, "In 17 minutes." Not only is the precision more acute but adherence to time is absolute in Japan.  (Japanese do the same thing with distance - they will state 17.5 km rather than about 20 km.)

When I first moved to Indonesia I was appalled at the blasé attitude towards time in Jakarta. A 10:00 am meeting would find people drifting in as late as 10:30. More shocking, is that there was no sense of having done anything wrong. I took to locking the door to a conference room and ignoring the late comers - within a week people understood that punctuality was non-negotiable.

I learned from my secretary that people would ask if a time was "Pribumi 10 o'clock or Bulet 10 o'clock?" meaning is that Indonesian time or foreigner time?

http://www.rappler.com/world/regions/asia-pacific/39224-clockwork-precision-on-the-tokyo-subway

I read somewhere that of the 50 busiest train stations in the world, all are in Japan except for 6.

My wife volunteered last year to help chaperone a trip to Japan from her high school.  She still repeats that you can't believe the number of people riding the trains.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2014, 07:42:32 AM »

When I lived in Guam, I became familiar with the concept of "Island Time."  The most extreme example I remember was when we were doing our HS graduation rehearsal with the Archbishop.  He got a phone call and an aide told us to take a five minute break.  Everyone jumped into their cars to go to McDonalds to get something to eat.  It never occurred to any of them that you couldn't drive 5-10 minutes (each way), order and receive food, eat, and be back in 5 minutes.  A bunch of 17-18 year old kids kept the Archbishop of Guam waiting for about 30 minutes while they went on a burger run...and nobody (including the Archbishop) seemed even remotely troubled by it.  It was an eye-opening cultural experience.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2014, 09:57:19 AM »
You know who else keeps good time....strippers and hookers.  2 songs or 30 minutes: bam, you're done.

And that's why they call it horology.  F#*& you Webster, we've got ourselves a ZFB dictionary.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2014, 01:52:58 PM »
When I lived in Guam, I became familiar with the concept of "Island Time."  The most extreme example I remember was when we were doing our HS graduation rehearsal with the Archbishop.  He got a phone call and an aide told us to take a five minute break.  Everyone jumped into their cars to go to McDonalds to get something to eat.  It never occurred to any of them that you couldn't drive 5-10 minutes (each way), order and receive food, eat, and be back in 5 minutes.  A bunch of 17-18 year old kids kept the Archbishop of Guam waiting for about 30 minutes while they went on a burger run...and nobody (including the Archbishop) seemed even remotely troubled by it.  It was an eye-opening cultural experience.

That behavior is prevalent throughout ASEAN, save for Singapore. What an Ang Mo views as disrespect of others is simply "Rubber Time" to the Malay or Filipino.

Marquette had a large contingent from Guam. I knew Felix Camacho, aka Guamo, who ended up as Governor. He was a really great guy.

I made many trips to Guam back in my F 16 days. When Misawa was blanketed in snow we would find any reason to do a cross country to either the Philippines of Guam. One of Spain's finest gifts to those two islands was roast pork. Lechon and Hotnon Babui represent some of the best damned pig to ever grace a spit. We may have kicked Spain's ass in 1898 but their troops were eating roast pig while ours were opening cans of gelatinous mystery meat.

Death on call

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2014, 01:56:20 PM »
Marquette had a large contingent from Guam.

True.  I went to Marquette from Guam. I think there were 15-20 in my freshman class.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2014, 02:14:07 PM »
I read somewhere that of the 50 busiest train stations in the world, all are in Japan except for 6.

My wife volunteered last year to help chaperone a trip to Japan from her high school.  She still repeats that you can't believe the number of people riding the trains.

You cannot imagine what a Japanese train station looks like at rush hour. A colleague had just arrived in Tokyo and he mentioned he was heading out to meet his wife at Shibuya Station. His Latina bride is all of 5' 2" with jet black hair. When I asked if they had designated a specific rendezvous spot at the station he gave me a quizzical look that said no. I laughed inside knowing the impending disaster that awaited him.

He told me later that he stood above the platform and saw nothing but an unending undulating black wave. His wife was down there but there was no way to identify her in that sea of humanity. His wife was in tears while he frantically searched for her and they never did connect at the station.

My wife had blond hair which is an extreme curiosity for the Japanese. She was on the train late one night and a drunk Japanese salary man was staring at her from across the car. After about 10 minutes he staggered over to her and began touching her hair. She spoke fluent vernacular Japanese and instructed him in extremely direct language to remove his hands. The man was completely shocked by this. He bowed deeply and apologized in very formal Japanese then left the car. She could see he was relating the story to others in the adjacent carriage.

Death on call

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2014, 03:56:43 PM »
Anyone looking to get in on owning an automatic at an affordable rate...I came across these watches...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GF45LE/ref=s9_simh_gw_p241_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1Y257W6E3EXT3B58SQ8W&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

That's about as affordable as you will find for an automatic

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2014, 04:21:00 PM »
That's about as affordable as you will find for an automatic

There are better Automatics...

TACP with M4

Ox at the Line

Paris Dropping Her Panties

Crean Acting Like an A Hole

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2014, 06:32:07 PM »
Agree on all the automatics, 'cept for Paris. Typically, she rocks the commando version of said panties, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2014, 07:21:56 PM »
Agree on all the automatics, 'cept for Paris. Typically, she rocks the commando version of said panties, aina?

Bloody difficult to sniff commandos...

Death on call

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2014, 08:58:20 PM »
Bloody difficult to sniff commandos...

No it ain't.   It's just your nose gets a little wet.