collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Watches  (Read 31796 times)

Coleman

• All American
Watches
« on: March 06, 2014, 05:01:21 PM »
I have to give a lot of credit to MUScoop for getting me into single malt scotch. I appreciated the info everyone supplied for a beginner.

In a similar way, I am starting to research watches. I know a little, but I don't even know exactly what I want yet. FWIW, I own an Invicta quartz watch, was about $100. Its fine, but I'd like to get something a little nicer.

I'm not exactly sure of my price range yet, but the top top line Patek Philippe, Rolex, etc., are probably out of my price range. I'm thinking <$1,000....for now at least. Maybe I'll step up my game in a few more years  ;)

I am attracted to mechanical watches, although some of the quartz watches look pretty decent. Among quartz, it looks like Seiko and Citizen are two of the better brands.

What are some of the better brands of Swiss mechanical watches a tier below the very top of the line? Can you buy a decent one for under a grand? Is it even worth buying something middle of the road, or should I stay at $100 watches until I can afford to spend a couple grand?

Any other insight would be helpful.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 05:13:35 PM by Bleuteaux »

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
Re: Watches
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 05:19:41 PM »
I wore less expensive  Tag Huers until I could afford an Omega Seamaster(which James Bond copied me by wearing)  Tags are good quality and stylish as well

wouldn't go back to batteries again.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 05:29:44 PM »
Ludum habemus.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 06:13:08 PM »
I wore less expensive  Tag Huers until I could afford an Omega Seamaster(which James Bond copied me by wearing)  Tags are good quality and stylish as well

wouldn't go back to batteries again.

As far as mechanical goes, do you have  winding or automatic?

augoman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 06:27:22 PM »
i, too, have an affection for wrist watches and have done very well at jewelers dealing in estate and vintage watches.  I have found Cartier, Gucci, IWC, and Rolex models that way as well as Porsche Design.  I like to wear a Tissot TT3 on a daily basis as it is durable and relatively inexpensive, and doesn't require constant resetting when taken out of the drawer.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 06:37:56 PM »

This is the watch I own.  I hardly ever wear one since its not the 20th century.  I just wear it when it looks nice.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 07:25:06 PM »
I am so attuned to wearing one from years of doing so that I feel naked when I forget to put one on in the morning.  Years ago I wore one day and night, swimming, water-skiing, showering, sleeping for about 11 years.  I finally cracked the crystal on an iced toboggan run, rubbing it against the wooden siderails.  I plan to have it restored in May. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 07:32:03 PM »
I thought there was a thread on this...

Invictas look good but come on...they're almost always on sale at Amazon as a Daily Deal.
Plus I have read on some watch message boards that they're customer service isn't great.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 07:33:51 PM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 07:46:55 PM »
Wow, a watch thread NOT started by a spammer!

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 07:54:21 PM »

Invictas look good but come on...they're almost always on sale at Amazon as a Daily Deal.
Plus I have read on some watch message boards that they're customer service isn't great.

I admitted I'm a newbie. I like my Invicta but I recognize I could probably do better in a business setting. Hence me starting this thread!

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 08:16:32 PM »
As far as mechanical goes, do you have  winding or automatic?

Mine requires artful and elegant wrist movments

StateStreetMission

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 08:21:04 PM »
My son-in-law is a big fan of mechanical movement watches and finds some very nice pieces on the internet. He also buys older , non working pieces mostly from estate sales and repairs / restores them as a hobby.
He recently purchased a vintage Hamilton ( American movement) watch on the internet from Australia and gave it to me as a gift.

Check out the inscription on the back!

1965 was a little bit before my time at MU, but now I am very curious to find out the history behind this watch.

If any MUSCOOPERS can help me with suggestions or info, I would greatly appreciate it  

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 09:17:25 PM »
Check it out:

http://www.worldofwatches.com/

how does that site have such lower prices compared to brand website or even macy's, etc?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 09:19:40 PM »
you can find PRN most week days down in the Loop with a trenchcoat and some killer deals.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 07:27:34 AM »
you can find PRN most week days down in the Loop with a trenchcoat and some killer deals.

I used to buy watches especially for my kids on the on trips to Asia.  So they lasted 6 months, but they adult ones looked decent and the kids ones only cost $1.00 so why not.  I'm still mad at myself for not buying one just for the lifetime comedic value.  There was a kids watch and the wrist band was printed with the not-quite Disney classic "Snow White and the Seven Wharfs".  I just picured a Star Trek tie-in.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 07:57:33 AM »

They're such things as watch message boards and you've admitted to visiting them? Wow, the internet never seems to fail
Bring back FFP!!!

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2014, 08:46:27 AM »
They're such things as watch message boards and you've admitted to visiting them? Wow, the internet never seems to fail

MUScoop is my one stop shop for beer, scotch, watches, etc.

All other message boards pale in comparison to Scoopdome.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2014, 09:15:39 AM »
When given the choice, always opt for an automatic (not an "automatic quartz" or "electronic automatic"... it has to be fully mechanical).  But I don't care what brand of watch you buy, if it doesn't say "Swiss Made," then you might as well be mixing your single malt with diet Coke.  The Swiss make the best watches, which puts us red-blooded Americans in quite the pickle... or does it?

One word: Hamilton.  An iconic American brand now owned by Swatch Group (who bought Hamilton in 1971, so their watches all bear the 'Swiss Made' label).  It's truly the best from both worlds for the discriminating yank.  I've bought one for each of my children who've turned 1, which means I'll be buying another one soon... since they're very reasonable price-wise, it doesn't have to hurt the pocketbook (lowest priced models start around $600-700 retail, which means you can be successful haggling for one in the $400s at the right store).

Hamilton is the watch brand that very few people have heard of, yet nearly everyone in America has seen one on the silver screen at some point...

(The top one, not the Luminox)

« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 09:19:19 AM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2014, 09:24:35 AM »
I'm a huge fan of my Citizen Skyhawk Eco-Drive watch.

http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-JY0050-55L-Skyhawk-Titanium-Eco-Drive/dp/B001QFYKTA/ref=sr_1_6?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1394205382&sr=1-6

I tend to buy watches though that look good in a work environment but are functional for my activities like flying and diving

http://www.klepsoo.com/en/timex/profondimetro-t2n812.html?reffr=FRGL&utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=catalog&forzanazione=US&utm_campaign=Froogle-US&gclid=CNO87__cgL0CFbQWMgoddUEAjg

It really just depends on how much you actual use the watch....9 times out of 10 people only recognize the brand and not the quality of the watch so keep that in mind before you go overboard
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2014, 09:35:16 AM »
Any opinions on Movado?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2014, 09:39:07 AM »
When given the choice, always opt for an automatic (not an "automatic quartz" or "electronic automatic"... it has to be fully mechanical).  But I don't care what brand of watch you buy, if it doesn't say "Swiss Made," then you might as well be mixing your single malt with diet Coke.  The Swiss make the best watches, which puts us red-blooded Americans in quite the pickle... or does it?

One word: Hamilton.  An iconic American brand now owned by Swatch Group (who bought Hamilton in 1971, so their watches all bear the 'Swiss Made' label).  It's truly the best from both worlds for the discriminating yank.  I've bought one for each of my children who've turned 1, which means I'll be buying another one soon... since they're very reasonable price-wise, it doesn't have to hurt the pocketbook (lowest priced models start around $600-700 retail, which means you can be successful haggling for one in the $400s at the right store).

Hamilton is the watch brand that very few people have heard of, yet nearly everyone in America has seen one on the silver screen at some point...

(The top one, not the Luminox)

I am actually looking at Hamiltons right now. Mechanical automatics as you suggested.

I'm considering buying a gold plated vintage one with a leather strap. It was recommended as a great starter business watch for someone in their late 20s.

Ones in good shape from the 60s and 70s can be had on ebay for $500-$800. Although I am always a bit leery of ebay.

Also was looking at used TAG Heuers, but I think I like the Hamiltons better.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2014, 09:42:17 AM »
My son-in-law is a big fan of mechanical movement watches and finds some very nice pieces on the internet. He also buys older , non working pieces mostly from estate sales and repairs / restores them as a hobby.
He recently purchased a vintage Hamilton ( American movement) watch on the internet from Australia and gave it to me as a gift.

Check out the inscription on the back!

1965 was a little bit before my time at MU, but now I am very curious to find out the history behind this watch.

If any MUSCOOPERS can help me with suggestions or info, I would greatly appreciate it  

It looks like the Boulton II watch.  Swatch still makes the line today, but the Boulton was Hamilton's most popular watch from the 1940s through the 1960s, and perhaps was the most popular watch in the nation during a period of that time.  The Boulton II has the 770 movement; at the time the 770 was regarded as one of the best manual-wind movements in the world, so you've got a solid piece there.  Unfortunately, due to the popularity of the watch, it's not exactly a priceless collector's item, but that inscription is awesome.

You can typically date the Boulton by the factory markings/inscription on the back of the case, but in this case, the custom inscription has pretty much done that for you, so no questions there.

As to Mr. Parker... I'm going to have to leave that to the sweater-vest crowd here.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2014, 09:47:13 AM »
Start by educating yourself. I highly recommend reading Hodinkee. Benjamin Clymer knows his stuff. The blog has a lot of information regarding brands and reviews. If nothing else, you can use it to look at aesthetics and figure out what you like or do not like.
http://www.hodinkee.com/

Here is another helpful guide that GQ put together. Again, there will definitely be some items out of the price range, but it should help point you in a direction you like.
http://www.gq.com/style/style-manual/201206/watches-vintage-chronometers#slide=1

You can definitely find a great watch under $1000

Some other brands to check out:

Victorinox has a lot of options and price points. Classic options at a reasonable price point. Check out their website below and amazon.
http://www.victorinox.com/us/content/timepieces/category/3

Shinola. Made in the USA (if you're into that kind of thing). Brand is definitely trending upward and they also make a number of other nice items. Note that the case on these watches is relatively large.
http://www.shinola.com/shop/watches.html

Tsovet. The brand has aeronautical inspired watches. Similar to Bell & Ross but much less expensive. Note that most of these also have a large case size.
https://www.tsovet.com/

Nixon. the brand may be a little young. Lots of variations, color, and options.
http://www.nixon.com/us/en/mens/watches/

Good luck.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 10:22:04 AM by Blue Horseshoe »

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2014, 10:33:36 AM »
My wife gave me a Klaus-Kobec that she saw advertised on the back of the National Geographic magazine 25 years ago, and paid $125.
I wear it everywhere, and regularly get complimented on it by "watch" people, until they realize that it's a cheapo. 

Here is another watch forum that you might find useful:  http://forums.watchuseek.com/forum.php

Ludum habemus.