collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Volleyball Thread  (Read 235356 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Volleyball Thread
« Reply #800 on: December 21, 2019, 09:05:08 PM »
it is the 8th women's volleyball National title for Stanford.

It is Stanford's 124th team NCAA National Title in 20 sports.

They have 38 other non-sanctioned National Titles.

They have 41 club sport National Titles.

They have had 522 individual National Titles.

They have won at least one NCAA team National Title for 44 straight years.

9th women’s volleyball title.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #801 on: December 21, 2019, 09:31:43 PM »
9th women’s volleyball title.

Yep, tough to keep up with them. 3rd in 4 years. The men’s volleyball team has two. Just won women’s soccer, men made final four soccer and their women’s hoops team is currently
number one among others.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #802 on: January 14, 2020, 10:53:28 AM »
I'm seeing a rumor reported on a volleyball board that Theiss is heading to tOSU.  I have absolutely no idea if it is true or not (at least one other coach has been rumored for the job).  I hope not; he's done a great job at MU.  Has anyone close to the MU program heard anything?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #803 on: January 14, 2020, 12:45:16 PM »
I'm seeing a rumor reported on a volleyball board that Theiss is heading to tOSU.  I have absolutely no idea if it is true or not (at least one other coach has been rumored for the job).  I hope not; he's done a great job at MU.  Has anyone close to the MU program heard anything?

That would be disappointing. They’ve been down the past few seasons but I get it, it’s the Big 10.

Just really hard for Marquette to retain coaches in non-basketball sports.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #804 on: January 14, 2020, 01:11:31 PM »
If true (I have no idea whatsoever), I am very biased but I would love for this to be his replacement.

https://uclabruins.com/sports/womens-volleyball/roster/coaches/brad-keller/3361
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #805 on: January 14, 2020, 01:58:10 PM »
That would be disappointing. They’ve been down the past few seasons but I get it, it’s the Big 10.

Just really hard for Marquette to retain coaches in non-basketball sports.

As I said, I hope it isn't true.  There have also been rumors that Louisville's coach is taking the job; I hope that's the case.  But tOSU is a really attractive job.  The conference is outstanding and they have tons of money.  They just built a new 3700 seat arena for volleyball (other sports will use it too...but I think VB is primary). There is a lot of good volleyball in the area.  That would be two consecutive coaches leaving MU for the Big Ten.  I'd hope Theiss would consider that just going to the bigger conference isn't necessarily better if you're at or near the bottom.  See, e.g. Shymanski and Aird.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #806 on: January 14, 2020, 04:29:05 PM »
Now somebody acting like he/she knows says it's not Theiss.  Then again, the prior person was acting like he/she knew, too.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #807 on: January 14, 2020, 07:52:55 PM »
Now somebody acting like he/she knows says it's not Theiss.  Then again, the prior person was acting like he/she knew, too.

Is this on volleytalk?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #808 on: January 14, 2020, 08:11:05 PM »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #809 on: January 17, 2020, 11:45:00 AM »
Theiss is not heading to tOSU.  That's good news.  Sorry to have come here with an incorrect rumor.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #810 on: January 17, 2020, 12:35:28 PM »
Theiss is not heading to tOSU.  That's good news.  Sorry to have come here with an incorrect rumor.

I just took a very, very quick peak at Volleytalk after you and Chitown mentioned it, and saw someone bring up his name for the USC job (don't think it was any kind of insider information, just a "wouldn't be surprised if/you could do worse than..."  If you follow Volleytalk closer, is there any real talk of him for USC (or any other job)?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #811 on: January 17, 2020, 03:06:03 PM »
I just took a very, very quick peak at Volleytalk after you and Chitown mentioned it, and saw someone bring up his name for the USC job (don't think it was any kind of insider information, just a "wouldn't be surprised if/you could do worse than..."  If you follow Volleytalk closer, is there any real talk of him for USC (or any other job)?

I avoid USC threads like the plague.  Those people are crazy.  I searched it, and saw only that one mention.

Theiss is doing a really nice job at Marquette.  I imagine it's only a matter of time before bigger programs come calling.  As I said before, I hope that he will consider being at the top of the Big East preferable to being at the bottom of a bigger conference.  Obviously, if an opportunity at a top program in a better conference comes available, he'd be crazy not to consider it.  But I don't think being cannon fodder in the Big or Pac would be an improvement over Marquette.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #812 on: February 21, 2020, 02:27:01 PM »
If true (I have no idea whatsoever), I am very biased but I would love for this to be his replacement.

https://uclabruins.com/sports/womens-volleyball/roster/coaches/brad-keller/3361

Apparently, since MU didn't open up, Keller went looking for a different job.  I guess he'll have to be satisfied with that.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #813 on: February 21, 2020, 05:00:00 PM »
Apparently, since MU didn't open up, Keller went looking for a different job.  I guess he'll have to be satisfied with that.

moving expenses should be quite low.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #814 on: February 21, 2020, 06:04:56 PM »

Yup, very happy for him.  Back when Theis took the job we had asked Keller if he would get into the women's side of the game again (he spent a year or two as an assistant out at UCONN) and he wanted in, but it was way too late in the process.  When we talked to him after they played in Madison the first round of the NCAA Tournament he said he wanted the MU job then but was very complimentary to Theis and what he's done at MU.  They had definitely watched the MU win over UW in their scouting, as he basically recited what MU did to UW as their game plan going into the match with UW in the 2nd round.

He also said he really wanted the OSU job, as that had just opened up, but said he wouldn't even get a look from them.  Guess he fell forward into this one.  The OSU job could be attractive (they'll invest in the program, so with the right coach there will be success), but USC is a top 10 program overall.

Karma can be a biotch.  Keller was on Bill Ferguson's staff with the USC men's team when they were getting top talent but not getting the elusive NCAA Title, so Bill fired the assistants on the staff under some pretty shady circumstances.  Bill then got fired a year or two later, went off to Wake Forrest, and now faces multiple charges in the college bribery scheme/was fired from Wake Forrest, while Brad becomes the head coach of the USC women's program.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #815 on: March 12, 2020, 04:15:20 PM »
Already had my tickets to the men's volleyball Final Four in DC in early May.  Sucks.  Feel bad for all the seniors.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #816 on: July 08, 2020, 12:23:47 PM »
Stanford is cutting 11 varsity sports programs, including men’s volleyball. That is not good.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #817 on: July 08, 2020, 02:44:17 PM »
Stanford is cutting 11 varsity sports programs, including men’s volleyball. That is not good.

Stanford AND Brown.  Just the start, add every university and every sport.  It is the new world and every school has a different view of low hanging fruit.  Sorry for a trite expression I first heard 15 years ago.

Brown is ending equestrian and squash, fencing and golf are going away.

Can't believe they are ending synchronized swimming, can't believe they have synchronized swimming.

With sports like light weight rowing it is easier to start cutting.  Looks like lacrose, hockey and football remain in place,  for now.

BTW, stay off my grass, just kidding.  We are in a very serious position, UNITED is laying off 35,000, just the tip of what is coming.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #818 on: August 07, 2020, 01:32:17 PM »
No volleyball at Georgetown this fall.  Also, they got a(nother) new coach.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #819 on: December 02, 2020, 08:58:01 AM »
I saw this article ..

https://www.anonymouseagle.com/2020/12/2/21867225/marquette-golden-eagles-volleyball-taylor-wolf-konovodoff-mohr-martinez-rose

.. The last bit from the press release  (https://gomarquette.com/news/2020/12/1/womens-volleyball-marquette-volleyball-announces-additions-of-taylor-wolf.aspx) ..

"This fall Sarah Rose was diagnosed with Ewing Sarcoma, which will prevent her from participating in her senior year.  "

Um, can someone explain .. wouldn't that be a HIPPA violation to release that one of your players has cancer?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #820 on: December 02, 2020, 09:01:31 AM »
I saw this article ..

https://www.anonymouseagle.com/2020/12/2/21867225/marquette-golden-eagles-volleyball-taylor-wolf-konovodoff-mohr-martinez-rose

.. The last bit from the press release  (https://gomarquette.com/news/2020/12/1/womens-volleyball-marquette-volleyball-announces-additions-of-taylor-wolf.aspx) ..

"This fall Sarah Rose was diagnosed with Ewing Sarcoma, which will prevent her from participating in her senior year.  "

Um, can someone explain .. wouldn't that be a HIPPA violation to release that one of your players has cancer?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if she has already disclosed it, then it cannot be a violation.

Having said that, I have no idea if she had disclosed her diagnosis.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #821 on: December 02, 2020, 09:02:28 AM »
Damn, Konovodoff is a massive loss. She’s one of the best liberos in the entire country.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #822 on: December 02, 2020, 10:58:06 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if she has already disclosed it, then it cannot be a violation.

Having said that, I have no idea if she had disclosed her diagnosis.

That's what I was thinking .. I googled her name and the cancer type, no hits .. it begs the question, what is "disclosed."  If I disclose to 3 people, or yell it in the hallway .. is that disclosed?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #823 on: December 02, 2020, 11:37:22 AM »
That's what I was thinking .. I googled her name and the cancer type, no hits .. it begs the question, what is "disclosed."  If I disclose to 3 people, or yell it in the hallway .. is that disclosed?

You could make that argument should something like this go to court.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #824 on: December 02, 2020, 01:07:42 PM »
I'm 99% sure that Marquette got the student's permission before including that information.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback