[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Volleyball Thread  (Read 235208 times)

We R Final Four

• All American
Re: Volleyball Thread
« Reply #750 on: October 13, 2019, 08:12:22 AM »
Just unable to beat Creighton. I know they’re a good team but it’s so frustrating.
MU gave away 7 points in that 3rd set on serves OOB or into the net.
You have got to put the ball in play.
Great crowd—fun night.
Didn’t have it in 5th set.
CU is scrappy.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #751 on: October 13, 2019, 09:48:03 PM »
MU gave away 7 points in that 3rd set on serves OOB or into the net.
You have got to put the ball in play.
Great crowd—fun night.
Didn’t have it in 5th set.
CU is scrappy.

A number of service errors against Wisconsin and Illinois at key spots, too.  Survived one of those, not the other.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #752 on: November 12, 2019, 08:24:50 AM »
Marquette up to 9 in the AP poll, 12 in the RPI.  I believe they host stillawarrior's Hoyas this weekend as well as Villanova, who just did Marquette a great favor by sweeping Creighton this past weekend to allow Marquette to pull into a tie for first in the BE (Creighton has the tiebreaker with the win at Marquette).  They have this weekend and then go to Creighton and Providence next weekend and then host the Big East Tournament the following weekend.  My best guess is that, barring 5 straight losses to end the year which just isn't going to happen, Marquette will host the first two rounds in the NCAA as a top 16 seed but then will go on the road for the Sweet 16 and Elite 8, as they will not be a top 4 seed.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #753 on: November 12, 2019, 08:42:43 AM »
What’s up with Lines? Her and Speckman were out vs. Creighton but Speckman has been back.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #754 on: November 12, 2019, 09:00:56 AM »
I believe they host stillawarrior's Hoyas this weekend...barring 5 straight losses to end the year...

I can say with a pretty high degree of confidence that any thought of this will be put to rest by about 8:15 CT on Friday evening.  It's been a disappointing season for the Hoyas; the progress they made last year is a distant memory (and even then, MU totally dominated them).
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 09:03:36 AM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #755 on: November 12, 2019, 09:13:26 AM »
What’s up with Lines? Her and Speckman were out vs. Creighton but Speckman has been back.

I have been keeping an eye on the box scores and Lines hasn't returned.  I haven't heard what the injury is.  I was at the Creighton game and she was in "street clothes" and walking gingerly.  Kind of seemed like a knee injury but I couldn't tell.

The freshman that has filled her spot is really good, has a really high ceiling I think.  I think they're better offensively with the freshman in there, but I do think Lines was outstanding defensively so overall it hurts the team, as that's really how they win matches.  Ball control teams out of the gym and have your big stud go to work.  They also run a funky system where it's a 6-2 but they have Barber swinging left in the right side position.  From when I've watched they would have Lines in there with Barber front row but now have Werch with Barber, so Werch plays some on the right.  I like Werch a lot more on the left.  Another thing that Marquette was doing, at least in the Wisconsin match, with Lines in there was they would put Barber on the right when they were serving to throw up a bigger block on the opponent's left side attack.  Against Creighton, with their freshman star outside absolutely dominating Marquette, I kept waiting for Marquette to make that adjustment and they just never did.  To me they probably win that match if they match Barber up with Davis on the right when serving.

I can say with a pretty high degree of confidence that any thought of this will be put to rest by about 8:15 CT on Friday evening.  It's been a disappointing season for the Hoyas; the progress they made last year is a distant memory (and even then, MU totally dominated them).

Yeah, and at Providence should be a pretty easy win.  Home vs. Nova should be a win but they're playing well, so you never know.  And hosting the conference tournament you should get at least one win in there.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #756 on: November 16, 2019, 09:06:02 PM »
Nice bounce back tonight after losing the first set to win the next 3 sets and beat Villanova on Senior Night to move to 25-3 I believe.  That's what the top of their schedule page says and is the correct record as far as I can tell.  But the box score and game recap list a 24-4 record.  I think they only lost to Baylor, Illinois and Creighton though.

Big game on Friday of course at Creighton.

Go Marquette!

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #757 on: November 21, 2019, 08:52:04 PM »
Big match coming up Friday night at 6P central at Creighton.  Big East TV link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3JohUh4pFw

Go Marquette!!!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #758 on: November 22, 2019, 07:42:15 PM »
I would be very surprised if Marquette even got to the Sweet Sixteen. They aren’t great. Without lines their passing really, really stinks (which I don’t really understand because Vandenberg isn’t really that bad in serve reception). But regardless MU is way too one dimensional and teams just have to worry about Barber. Werch has been terrible both times MU has played Creighton. Koontz is forced to continue playing despite being totally ineffective (no blocking ability at all and no arm at all. The only chance of her getting kills is tooling the block on a quick set back).

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #759 on: November 22, 2019, 07:57:28 PM »
Trailing 2 sets to 1 and down 18-11 at the moment.  Not looking good
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #760 on: November 22, 2019, 09:17:09 PM »
Just cannot beat Creighton. What are they 0 for their last 8 now?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #761 on: November 27, 2019, 11:50:25 AM »
Big East Awards and honors:

Big East Player of the Year:. Allie Barber (Sr) (for the 2nd time)

All Big East:. Martha Konovodoff (Jr) Hope Werch, (Jr)

All Big East Freshman Team: Hannah Vanden Berg

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #762 on: November 29, 2019, 06:13:41 PM »
Marquette wins in 3 sets over Villanova today.

St. John's took the first set over Creighton and leads 10-7 in the 2nd set.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #763 on: November 29, 2019, 07:32:36 PM »
Creighton swept by St John’s..  MU plays Redmen Redwomen Redstorm for the title tomorrow at MU.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #764 on: November 30, 2019, 01:03:12 PM »
Game is at 3:30 on FS2.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #765 on: November 30, 2019, 04:49:56 PM »
I would be licking my chops if I was a smaller conference champion that drew Marquette first round. Marquette simply isn’t very good right now. Serve and pass game is HORRENDOUS. Would be very surprised if Marquette is playing the second week of the Tournament.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #766 on: November 30, 2019, 05:44:37 PM »
SJU should be at MU today, but hopefully I am wrong.  Vball picks not as strong for me.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #767 on: November 30, 2019, 05:50:54 PM »
SJU should be at MU today, but hopefully I am wrong.  Vball picks not as strong for me.

Wait. Are you seriously picking St. John’s over Marquette...after St. John’s beat Marquette?

Well damn Cheeks! How do you do it?!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #768 on: November 30, 2019, 06:02:24 PM »
Wait. Are you seriously picking St. John’s over Marquette...after St. John’s beat Marquette?

Well damn Cheeks! How do you do it?!

Yes.  Is the game over?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #769 on: November 30, 2019, 06:33:05 PM »
Yes.  Is the game over?

L-O-Freaking-L!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #770 on: November 30, 2019, 06:34:19 PM »
Man this day of college football has been something...
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #771 on: November 30, 2019, 06:35:47 PM »
Man this day of college football has been something...

Cheeks will make his predictions for it tomorrow!

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #772 on: November 30, 2019, 06:38:41 PM »
L-O-Freaking-L!

Sorry, just saw the score...didn’t know.  Not surprised at result.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #773 on: November 30, 2019, 06:44:36 PM »

Made the college football picks last week, you even acknowledged them...last week.  LOL.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #774 on: November 30, 2019, 11:13:03 PM »

But he had lunch with Jerry Palm last week, no?