collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The official Marquette nostalgic thread  (Read 40307 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: The official Marquette nostalgic thread
« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2014, 03:00:30 PM »
Early 80s Mug-rack shows with these little unknown Milwaukee bands called the BoDeans and Violent Femmes.

Whatever happen to those bands?

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2014, 04:46:31 PM »
I remember those great shows, and the X-Cleavers.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2014, 04:47:34 PM »
I remember those great shows, and the X-Cleavers.

X-Cleavers....."nice legs, shame about the face"......Yeah, I drunkenly yelled that a couple of times. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2014, 11:25:46 AM »
More from the early 80's.....

A cheeseburger on a wheat bun from Wales, 1984 Block Party Penny Protest, the Mecca for Warrior games, Big Red, concerts at the Eagles Club and combat juice at OD's.

Oreo shakes from Wales.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2014, 03:14:21 AM »
I remmeber when people used to like and appreciate MU bball for what it was....

reinko

• All American
« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2014, 09:50:50 AM »
Any Louie D's fans around?   Cheese fries,  cheap burgers,  darts,  random DJ equipment and dance floor that was never used.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #106 on: February 23, 2014, 11:24:05 AM »
Had my first gyro at the Circle.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2014, 11:31:14 AM »
Mini- MU reunion this weekend, with housemates from Chicago, Milwaukee, Omaha meeting with 3 more from St. Louis.  Several with kids who went to, are in MU now or are thinking about going.   Nostalgia on steroids, and new memories made. I love Marquette.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2014, 11:33:48 AM »
Sound like you recovered from Friday night. ;)

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2014, 11:39:44 AM »
Stuck to beer yesterday.   ;D

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2014, 01:04:13 PM »
Had my first gyro at the Circle.

I had my first gyro in 1978 at the food court of the newly-opened Hickory Hollow mall in Nashville.  There was a big sign out front explaining what a gyro was and how to pronounce it (people still called them "Jy-roes", though).

And of course, it being Tennessee, they served them with barbecue sauce instead of tzatziki sauce.
Have some patience, FFS.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #111 on: February 23, 2014, 01:19:20 PM »
I had my first gyro in 1978 at the food court of the newly-opened Hickory Hollow mall in Nashville.  There was a big sign out front explaining what a gyro was and how to pronounce it (people still called them "Jy-roes", though).

And of course, it being Tennessee, they served them with barbecue sauce instead of tzatziki sauce.

Marquette gyros is easily my favorite drunk food on campus.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #112 on: February 23, 2014, 04:21:16 PM »
Any Louie D's fans around?   Cheese fries,  cheap burgers,  darts,  random DJ equipment and dance floor that was never used.

Killer cheese fries.

$2 cheeseburgers on mondays for lunch.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #113 on: February 23, 2014, 04:46:45 PM »
My newest favorite place is the Broken Yolk. Their breakfast burrito is out of this world.  Also, the owner is a really nice guy too.

Anyone know what the BY location on Wells was back in the day?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #114 on: February 23, 2014, 09:56:22 PM »
I'm surprised nobody ever mentions Sy's Deli on Wells near the Boy Blue. Classic Kosher Deli with steamed chickens hanging in the window.

Death on call

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #115 on: February 24, 2014, 12:21:42 AM »
McCormick 5 East. 9th floor Schroeder. First party at the "Tool Box" and Kensington. My buddies' place at Renee. Bradford Beach. The opening section of "Where The Streets Have No Name." Marquette Gyros. Some kid in the dead of winter with no gloves or coat hurling snowballs at a dark house for not having a party. Yes, those Friday acco exams.

Anyone else live all the way up on 22nd? We had balconies in the front and back of every apartment. The Harp & Shamrock was right across the street and we were right by Conway's. It was a great little spot but it seemed like nobody ever wanted to hike that far west.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #116 on: February 24, 2014, 12:24:32 AM »
McCormick 5 East. 9th floor Schroeder. First party at the "Tool Box" and Kensington. My buddies' place at Renee. Bradford Beach. The opening section of "Where The Streets Have No Name." Marquette Gyros. Some kid in the dead of winter with no gloves or coat hurling snowballs at a dark house for not having a party. Yes, those Friday acco exams.

Anyone else live all the way up on 22nd? We had balconies in the front and back of every apartment. The Harp & Shamrock was right across the street and we were right by Conway's. It was a great little spot but it seemed like nobody ever wanted to hike that far west.

One of my best friends lives right near 22nd and Wells across the street from Conways though. Its kinda like a duplex.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #117 on: February 24, 2014, 03:29:54 PM »
One of my best friends lives right near 22nd and Wells across the street from Conways though. Its kinda like a duplex.

I was in the apartments right next to M&I Bank, across the street from the never creepy Biller Hotel. Cambridge Apartments, I believe.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #118 on: February 24, 2014, 05:16:05 PM »
First party at the "Tool Box"

Castro & Market Street, huh?

Death on call

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #119 on: February 24, 2014, 05:30:10 PM »

Nice call on Bradford Beach, at least for the first two weeks of school (and a lobster boil clam bake that I think a couple of Boston guys put together in the Spring of '84). 

Also, in the summer-and I spent two great summers in Milwaukee with 1) the par 3 golf course at the lake (all you needed was a wedge and putter, and you could rent those) and 2) SUMMERFEST -- drinking wine Steidle's (sp?) coolers down like they were grape Nehi (which it pretty much was, accept all of a sudden you were toast).  I am embarrassed by and love the 80s so much.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #120 on: February 24, 2014, 05:32:47 PM »
My newest favorite place is the Broken Yolk. Their breakfast burrito is out of this world.  Also, the owner is a really nice guy too.

Anyone know what the BY location on Wells was back in the day?

Mine too--I was talking this weekend to some MU grads from recent years like it was a new place and described it's location next to Real Chili, and they looked at me like I was crazy--not sure if it moved or this "new" one is a second location.  Really good breakfast food and lots of it real cheap--would have been a 3x a week place when in school.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #121 on: February 24, 2014, 05:49:54 PM »
Mine too--I was talking this weekend to some MU grads from recent years like it was a new place and described it's location next to Real Chili, and they looked at me like I was crazy--not sure if it moved or this "new" one is a second location.  Really good breakfast food and lots of it real cheap--would have been a 3x a week place when in school.

The one on Wells is recently opened.  Their first place is on Wisconsin, up by Mashuda.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2014, 08:48:09 PM »
Thanks for remembering the concerts guys.  While we made a few mistakes, I think our band lineups were pretty good. 

By the way, I take zero responsibility for the Chicago themed weekend when we brought sliders up from White Castle's as the food offering for the big Blues Fest.  Yeah, I'm talking about THOSE sliders that weren't properly 'handled' and got numerous students sick.  (Fits nicely with the Raynor bathroom discussion, don't ya think.)   

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #123 on: February 24, 2014, 08:55:56 PM »
Nice call on Bradford Beach, at least for the first two weeks of school (and a lobster boil clam bake that I think a couple of Boston guys put together in the Spring of '84). 

I never attended one, but those lobster boils were legendary.  IIRC, those guys ended up starting a business that flew seafood to the Midwest from the East Coast. I hope they were successful.
Have some patience, FFS.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #124 on: February 24, 2014, 09:31:26 PM »
I never attended one, but those lobster boils were legendary.  IIRC, those guys ended up starting a business that flew seafood to the Midwest from the East Coast. I hope they were successful.
My roommate from Boston told me never to eat seafood west of Worcester