collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The official Marquette nostalgic thread  (Read 40059 times)

LloydMooresLegs

Re: The official Marquette nostalgic thread
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2014, 09:52:34 PM »
GDL Camp in East Troy.
Watching "Days of Our Lives" in the TV lounge in Brooks Memorial Union.
Officially sanctioned floor parties in the dorms that had beer and mixed drinks.
Marching down to the lake after the Brewers won the pennant.
The entire bar singing along to "Burning Down the House" on the jukebox in The Gym.
Seeing the Jagoff Blues Brothers in the Grill..
"Bambi vs. Godzilla" before movies at the Varsity Theatre.

Most of the same memories, though I was not a gdl, the soap was GH (though we favored Santa Barbara back at the red house) and I do remember seeing Purple Rain at Varsity.  Also going to the hypnotist show at Varsity and seeing a few people really let loose on stage.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2014, 09:58:59 PM »
ZFB's favorite teacher? Mr. Dole

Friday afternoon acco exams blew.

was he the asshat that wrote all the tests?  he's got a warm seat in hell.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2014, 10:18:28 PM »
I think there are a couple of issues at play here:

1.  Kids do study harder; Marquette is a tougher school than it was back in the day.

Cant speak for back then but I can say that in the current state of affairs this is true. At the library right now and the first floor of Raynor is pretty much filled. Havent even seen the basement, 2nd floor or the Memorial side but I gotta imagine theyre are kids all over the place. I know your aware with youre kids going here but just for other alumni to give it a reference point.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2014, 10:25:12 PM »
Cant speak for back then but I can say that in the current state of affairs this is true. At the library right now and the first floor of Raynor is pretty much filled. Havent even seen the basement, 2nd floor or the Memorial side but I gotta imagine theyre are kids all over the place. I know your aware with youre kids going here but just for other alumni to give it a reference point.

Basement of Raynor has the best bathrooms. I took mad poops there

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2014, 10:27:15 PM »
Basement of Raynor has the best bathrooms. I took mad poops there

I must admit that is still true to this day. My favorite stall on campus is the handicap stall in the Raynor basement. Its like an entire hall way leading up to the toilet. In all seriousness it may be more then half the size of my dorm room freshman year in McCormick.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2014, 10:29:03 PM »
I must admit that is still true to this day. My favorite stall on campus is the handicap stall in the Raynor basement. Its like an entire hall way leading up to the toilet. In all seriousness it may be more then half the size of my dorm room freshman year in McCormick.

Dude! That was my personal office for 4 years. Enjoy it bud, there are few other stalls as luxurious...

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2014, 10:30:13 PM »
Dude! That was my personal office for 4 years. Enjoy it bud, there are few other stalls as luxurious...

The more things change the more they stay the same...

🏀

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2014, 10:35:09 PM »
4th floor of Olin had a great, easily assessable bathroom.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2014, 10:38:27 PM »
4th floor of Olin had a great, easily assessable bathroom.

Enginerd.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2014, 11:17:06 PM »
we were named Playboy's No1 Catholic party school  

You actually read an article!?

Death on call

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2014, 05:33:35 AM »
nm
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 06:12:40 AM by Archies Bat »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2014, 05:55:35 AM »
Junior year, living in Tower (912) and eating across the street at Cobeen.    One Friday afternoon at dinner time, having gotten an early start on the weekend, some of the guys from my floor decided to steal the ice cream scoops.   We set them in the middle of our table, 15 feet from the ice cream freezer.   None of the Cobeen residents would come get them.   They would, however, go and complain about the lack of scoops.   More scoops were brought.   The guys from my floor stole them, too.   Chaos ensued.   The lack of scoops caused quite the commotion.   All the while, all 4 scoops were sitting nearby.   We weren't doing anything to them, just curious to see what would happen and if anyone would come get them.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2014, 06:07:25 AM »
Junior year, living in Tower (912) and eating across the street at Cobeen.    One Friday afternoon at dinner time, having gotten an early start on the weekend, some of the guys from my floor decided to steal the ice cream scoops.   We set them in the middle of our table, 15 feet from the ice cream freezer.   None of the Cobeen residents would come get them.   They would, however, go and complain about the lack of scoops.   More scoops were brought.   The guys from my floor stole them, too.   Chaos ensued.   The lack of scoops caused quite the commotion.   All the while, all 4 scoops were sitting nearby.   We weren't doing anything to them, just curious to see what would happen and if anyone would come get them.   

So you were a disruptive Scooper way back then!

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2014, 09:07:12 AM »
Junior year, living in Tower (912) and eating across the street at Cobeen.    One Friday afternoon at dinner time, having gotten an early start on the weekend, some of the guys from my floor decided to steal the ice cream scoops.   We set them in the middle of our table, 15 feet from the ice cream freezer.   None of the Cobeen residents would come get them.   They would, however, go and complain about the lack of scoops.   More scoops were brought.   The guys from my floor stole them, too.   Chaos ensued.   The lack of scoops caused quite the commotion.   All the while, all 4 scoops were sitting nearby.   We weren't doing anything to them, just curious to see what would happen and if anyone would come get them.    

Was that Carpenter? If anybody says the tower now they are referring to Straz. Just out of curiosity did anybody live in 919 in McCormick or 515 in Straz?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 09:20:32 AM by esard2011 »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2014, 09:29:15 AM »
Was that Carpenter? If anybody says the tower now they are referring to Straz. Just out of curiosity did anybody live in 919 in McCormick or 515 in Straz?

Carpenter was Tower.

Straz was East.

By my tenure (2004-2008), Carpenter was still Tower, but East was Straz

🏀

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2014, 09:53:43 AM »
I forgot all my room numbers, including our apartment. This is why I write it on my forearm while out of town for work or vacation.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2014, 09:54:41 AM »
You actually read an article!?

Why is there something else to look at in those magazines?
Maigh Eo for Sam

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2014, 09:56:02 AM »
Carpenter was Tower.

Straz was East.

By my tenure (2004-2008), Carpenter was still Tower, but East was Straz

9th floor McCormick.  Right around Farley's room.  928 maybe?

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2014, 10:39:22 AM »

I was 917 McCormick, 816 Schroeder, and my house was 2028 W. Michigan which has the best deck in Milwaukee.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 10:41:32 AM by swoopem »
Bring back FFP!!!

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2014, 10:58:36 AM »
I was 917 McCormick, 816 Schroeder, and my house was 2028 W. Michigan which has the best deck in Milwaukee.

was 2028 the row houses that ended with a parking lot to the west?  different colors on each building?

Edit:  nevermind, google maps w street view is your friend.  That was a sweet ass deck.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2014, 11:07:03 AM »

Edit:  nevermind, google maps w street view is your friend.  That was a sweet ass deck.

Great deck.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2014, 11:11:25 AM »
which has the best deck in Milwaukee.

Careful now...

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2014, 11:12:28 AM »
Lots of decks on MUSCoop

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2014, 12:12:18 PM »
Dime taps at the State House.  Getting a sandwich and a beer at the Mugrack.  The rec center for a basketball game when we were hung over.  Living 120 steps from OD's.  10 pm mass at Schroeder.  Our dog Duke.  Parties at the Lighthouse. 
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2014, 12:32:51 PM »
rec center for a basketball game when we were hung over. 

One of my favorite memories at MU (the names have been changed to protect the guilty) was freshmen year.  Some guys on our side of the 8th floor at McCormick challenged some guys on the other side of the floor to a basketball game at the Rec Center on either a Saturday or Sunday morning, I forget which.  Anyway, we were out late the night before imbibing some of Milwaukee's Best at the various campus bars.  So the next morning we're pretty hung over and one of our guys wouldn't get up.  So I'm banging on the door, and he mumbles, "No way man, I can't make it."  So I say, 'Come on, we're all hung over, get up!"  And again he says, "I can't."  We repeat this stupid conversation a couple more times and finally i say, "Why can't you?"  And he says, "I threw up in my sneakers!" 

We finally got him up and he rinsed off his sneakers in the shower and he played.  Now, THAT'S the heart of a champion!
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.