collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The official Marquette nostalgic thread  (Read 40326 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Re: The official Marquette nostalgic thread
« Reply #125 on: February 24, 2014, 09:52:36 PM »
Thanks for remembering the concerts guys.  While we made a few mistakes, I think our band lineups were pretty good. 

By the way, I take zero responsibility for the Chicago themed weekend when we brought sliders up from White Castle's as the food offering for the big Blues Fest.  Yeah, I'm talking about THOSE sliders that weren't properly 'handled' and got numerous students sick.  (Fits nicely with the Raynor bathroom discussion, don't ya think.)   

John, who was the bluegrass band that did a grill concert?  Grass, Trees, and Lodging?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #126 on: February 24, 2014, 11:13:59 PM »
John, who was the bluegrass band that did a grill concert?  Grass, Trees, and Lodging?

Grass, Food, and Lodging. Saw them many times in many places. Great bluegrass.

Death on call

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #128 on: February 24, 2014, 11:20:22 PM »
Wouldn't embed, sorry.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #129 on: February 25, 2014, 07:54:20 AM »

Helluva memory.  I couldn't have come up with that on my own.

Acts you all might remember down in the grill besides the BoDeans (after my time as I recall) and the Femmes include:

- Big Twist and the Mellow Fellows
- Koko Taylor
- Magic Slim
- Arroyo
- X-Cleavers
- Badboy
- Pat McCurdy and the Men About Town
- Snopek

and many others I simply can't remember.  Milwaukee had a vibrant live music scene back in the day.  And the Grill time slot was perfect for bands because they would typically have a second gig that night, even if traveling from Chicago as was the case with the blues artists.

One quick story.  We were thisclose to having Survivor inked for the 1981 Party of the Century.  We were literally in meaningful negotiations with their agency when Eye of the Tiger went to #1.  Our checkbook never had a chance.  But can you imagine that out in the central mall?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #130 on: February 25, 2014, 08:03:27 AM »

Acts you all might remember down in the grill besides the BoDeans (after my time as I recall) and the Femmes include:

- Koko Taylor
- Magic Slim
- Arroyo
- X-Cleavers
- Badboy
- Snopek

and many others I simply can't remember.  Milwaukee had a vibrant live music scene back in the day.  And the Grill time slot was perfect for bands because they would typically have a second gig that night, even if traveling from Chicago as was the case with the blues artists.

One quick story.  We were thisclose to having Survivor inked for the 1981 Party of the Century.  We were literally in meaningful negotiations with their agency when Eye of the Tiger went to #1.  Our checkbook never had a chance.  But can you imagine that out in the central mall?

I recall Snopek, Big Twist, and Pat McCurdy.  I also recall a great concert at the Varsity by South Side Johnny and the Asbury Jukes!

"it aint the meat, it's the motion..."

Great times back then....living the dream!

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #131 on: February 25, 2014, 08:24:03 AM »
My Frosh year Southside Johnny put on a great show at the Varsity.  I particularly enjoyed it because I was just a kid in the crowd that day.

I've got to give props to Bob Babisch down at Summerfest.  He was very helpful to us, made introductions, showed us the ropes and never asked for anything in return. 35 years later he's still doing a great job.

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #132 on: February 25, 2014, 08:44:40 AM »
My dad said he saw the Violent Femmes play at the Union/Mugrack. Is he lying?
MU15

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #133 on: February 25, 2014, 08:52:40 AM »
Dads never lie.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #134 on: February 25, 2014, 09:16:27 AM »

No he is not.
Have some patience, FFS.

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #135 on: February 25, 2014, 09:27:32 AM »
No he is not.

wow, that would have been something to see
MU15

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #136 on: February 25, 2014, 10:10:49 AM »
YMMV, never got the Femmes thing but give them credit for making a career out of what, 2 albums worth of songs?
#MKEsmostoveratedband

<hides knowing sh!tstorm is coming>
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 10:12:23 AM by Waldo Jeffers »

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #137 on: February 25, 2014, 10:39:11 AM »
YMMV, never got the Femmes thing but give them credit for making a career out of what, 2 albums worth of songs?
#MKEsmostoveratedband

don't hide, I agree with you. I never took them serious other than an amusement. Kind of like watching a bad B movie just to laugh at it.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #138 on: February 25, 2014, 11:05:02 AM »
#MKEsmostoveratedband

2 albums?  more like 1 song.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #139 on: February 25, 2014, 11:10:57 AM »

2 songs.

And many of us didn't get them at the time.  jsglow said that Brian Ritchie would wander around in his bathrobe before the show.
Have some patience, FFS.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #140 on: February 25, 2014, 03:54:32 PM »

- Koko Taylor
- Magic Slim
- Arroyo
- X-Cleavers
- Badboy
- Snopek

Glow

We must have met back in the day. I was in ASMU and knew Shady Jim, Marty King, Dave Sinker, et al... Unlikely we didn't meet up.

Death on call

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #141 on: February 25, 2014, 04:34:39 PM »
Random question, does anyone know when and why MU stopped serving Alcohol at the Brooks lounge in the AMU? 
Maigh Eo for Sam

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #142 on: February 25, 2014, 04:38:24 PM »
Well, when I was drinking beer there the drinking age was 18.  Pretty much every student was of legal drinking age.  When they raised the drinking age to 21, most students became underage so the school started to try to deemphasize alcohol on campus.

I tell you, it was a great time to be a college student when the drinking age was 18.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #143 on: February 25, 2014, 05:08:34 PM »
wow, that would have been something to see

Probably nothing compared to seeing them at the Marcus Last summer for their first show in years.  The crowd was going crazy like it was the last time they were ever going to be on a stage. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #144 on: February 25, 2014, 05:10:03 PM »
Well, when I was drinking beer there the drinking age was 18.  Pretty much every student was of legal drinking age.  When they raised the drinking age to 21, most students became underage so the school started to try to deemphasize alcohol on campus.

I tell you, it was a great time to be a college student when the drinking age was 18.

But you'll never know the adrenaline rush that was an RA (TAMU eagle) knocking on your door when you've got to hide a case of beer in a split instant.  Goose bumps just from the memories :)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 05:45:44 PM by PunchingPiper »
Maigh Eo for Sam

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #145 on: February 25, 2014, 05:21:50 PM »
But you'll never know the adrenaline rush that was an RA knocking on your door when you've got to hide a case of beer in a split instant.  Goose bumps just from the memories :)

In our day there was no problem with booze. RA knocking at the door meant the wet towel on the floor wasn't working...

Death on call

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #146 on: February 25, 2014, 05:39:14 PM »
In our day there was no problem with booze. RA knocking at the door meant the wet towel on the floor wasn't working...

Haha we used to roll ourselves in the curtains of schroeder and have like six fans blowing at us from the door. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #147 on: February 25, 2014, 05:58:25 PM »
Haha we used to roll ourselves in the curtains of schroeder and have like six fans blowing at us from the door. 

It was a good thing that Rocky used to participate in the festivities from time to time.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #148 on: February 25, 2014, 09:00:22 PM »
Glow

We must have met back in the day. I was in ASMU and knew Shady Jim, Marty King, Dave Sinker, et al... Unlikely we didn't meet up.

Yep.  Sinker is down here in metro Chicago. Runs a comedy club/school in Naperville.  I think he was a Senior when I was a Frosh.  Marty is one year ahead of me and turned Grill Concerts over to me for my Junior year after I left the Senate.  Senior year I did both Grill and Major Concerts including the Romantics.  I had heard of Shady but don't think I know him. Perhaps just a bit ahead of me. 3-4 years made a difference.

MU86NC

• Starter
« Reply #149 on: February 25, 2014, 09:07:26 PM »
you r an idiot... they r one of the most iconic bands of their time.

feedback