[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Game of Thrones fans here?  (Read 199828 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Game of Thrones fans here?
« Reply #1050 on: May 08, 2019, 01:17:49 PM »
Has there ever been a popular and/or critically acclaimed TV series that's had an ending that hasn't provoked that kind of a response.
People are still big mad about The Sopranos and Seinfeld (and Dexter and MASH and Lost and Roseanne and ....)

The office salvaged their last god awful seasons with an incredible ending. I liked the sopranos ending. And as mentioned breaking bad seems to be the gold standard for everything.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #1051 on: May 08, 2019, 01:24:44 PM »
Parks and Rec also had a great final season/finale.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1052 on: May 08, 2019, 01:31:15 PM »
The office salvaged their last god awful seasons with an incredible ending. I liked the sopranos ending. And as mentioned breaking bad seems to be the gold standard for everything.

And yet some people were not at all happy with the ending of Breaking Bad.
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/the-closure-happy-breaking-bad-finale

My point being, no matter how GoT ends, plenty will be unhappy because ti's not the ending they wanted. And that's fine, too.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1053 on: May 08, 2019, 01:37:31 PM »
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/the-closure-happy-breaking-bad-finale

My point being, no matter how GoT ends, plenty will be unhappy because ti's not the ending they wanted. And that's fine, too.

I have such a hard time understanding how anyone could be dissatisfied with Breaking Bad's ending.  It was outstanding. 

As mentioned earlier, Parks & Rec did a really nice job as well. 

I feel like Cheers did a good job too but it's been so long since I watched it I could just not be remembering correctly. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1054 on: May 08, 2019, 01:52:16 PM »
I have to say,  I actually liked dexter's ending, probably the only person who does. Last season was terrible and the way they ended things with the sister was awful but the very ending is exactly how I thought the show needed to end.

Breaking Bads ending, like most of breaking bad IMHO, is overrated.

Best ending to a network show that I can think of is House. Show quality dipped terribly in the last season but they wrapped it up perfectly.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1055 on: May 08, 2019, 02:26:28 PM »
I have to say,  I actually liked dexter's ending, probably the only person who does. Last season was terrible and the way they ended things with the sister was awful but the very ending is exactly how I thought the show needed to end.

Best ending to a network show that I can think of is House. Show quality dipped terribly in the last season but they wrapped it up perfectly.

GTFOH in regards to Breaking Bad. 

As for Dexter, the last season was disappointing but the very end itself in terms of his fate wasn't horrible.

I would love them to do one more season to make up for season 8. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1056 on: May 08, 2019, 02:32:26 PM »
I wont be reading spoilers for th last episodes but I will leave this here.  Its absolutely not a spoiler, but an indication of how the actors seem to feel.

https://streamable.com/tanow

I was trying to find the specific clip I saw on Twitter, but that works.  Emilia's reaction, Nathalie Emmanuel trying to sort of save it, and Jacob Anderson not even attempting to salvage and just burst out laughing kind of tells the story.

But then again, it could mean nothing.  They clearly are attached to their characters and the story, and came to know it through the books like many here.  So the ending could be great and perfectly fine, but not what they envisioned, like some here, so it is a bit of a let down.  Who knows.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1057 on: May 08, 2019, 03:00:27 PM »

I’m with you TAMU, never could get into Breaking Bad.

I gave it many, many attempts but after watching like one or two episodes at a time I stopped and didn’t come back to it for another 6 months. Rinse and repeat and I finally gave up in the middle of season two.

Point being, you’re never going to make everyone happy with a TV show. It’s just never gonna happen.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #1058 on: May 08, 2019, 03:02:44 PM »
Six Feet Under had the best series ender of all time

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1059 on: May 08, 2019, 03:15:58 PM »
I’m with you TAMU, never could get into Breaking Bad.

I gave it many, many attempts but after watching like one or two episodes at a time I stopped and didn’t come back to it for another 6 months. Rinse and repeat and I finally gave up in the middle of season two.

Point being, you’re never going to make everyone happy with a TV show. It’s just never gonna happen.

Breaking Bad just kept getting better and more intense.  You gave up too soon, IMO.  Maybe it just wasn't for you. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1060 on: May 08, 2019, 03:21:43 PM »
I enjoyed Breaking Bad. Quality show. I just never understood the level of reverence some have for it. And that's fine! Different strokes for different folks.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1061 on: May 08, 2019, 04:27:26 PM »
The Scrubs main ending was great as well. Before they destroyed it with that awful medical school spinoff
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1062 on: May 08, 2019, 05:46:11 PM »
I have such a hard time understanding how anyone could be dissatisfied with Breaking Bad's ending.  It was outstanding. 

As mentioned earlier, Parks & Rec did a really nice job as well. 

I feel like Cheers did a good job too but it's been so long since I watched it I could just not be remembering correctly.

Agreed on all points.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1063 on: May 08, 2019, 06:07:54 PM »
The Scrubs main ending was great as well. Before they destroyed it with that awful medical school spinoff

Agreed - Scrubs did a great job prior to that 9th season.

At times it seems perhaps good comedies have an easier job putting together a satisfying ending than a good drama. Maybe that's stating the obvious.

Agreed on all points.

We do have some common ground!

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1064 on: May 09, 2019, 08:46:09 AM »

Maybe some people weren't happy with it, but the overwhelming majority were. I was and everyone who I knew watched the show also was.

That is NOT the case for this season of GoT.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #1065 on: May 09, 2019, 10:22:31 AM »
I don’t want to nerd out too much here… but a show that is similar to GoT in that the drama, politics, and character building supersedes the sci-fi/fantasy aspect and is very watchable by people who are not into sci-fi/fantasy, is Battlestar Galactica.  Not only that, but the epic story line built throughout the seasons is not only nearly as good as GoT, but it wrapped up and concluded in a very satisfying way.    If GoT seasons 1-6 were a 10 out of 10, I’d give that show a 8.5 or 9 out of 10 and recommend it to anyone who isn’t overly deterred by the sci-fi aspects.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 10:24:22 AM by UWW2MU »

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #1066 on: May 09, 2019, 11:58:13 AM »
I have to say the last 4 episodes have been disappointing. For 6 of the last 7 seasons the plot really dragged; now all of a sudden the plot is on maximum warp drive. I am pretty sure that we won't see Cersei eliminated in this next episode, cannot say the same for any other major character.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1067 on: May 09, 2019, 06:59:15 PM »
I don’t want to nerd out too much here… but a show that is similar to GoT in that the drama, politics, and character building supersedes the sci-fi/fantasy aspect and is very watchable by people who are not into sci-fi/fantasy, is Battlestar Galactica.  Not only that, but the epic story line built throughout the seasons is not only nearly as good as GoT, but it wrapped up and concluded in a very satisfying way.    If GoT seasons 1-6 were a 10 out of 10, I’d give that show a 8.5 or 9 out of 10 and recommend it to anyone who isn’t overly deterred by the sci-fi aspects.

Never watched it, but heard good things.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1068 on: May 10, 2019, 07:32:09 AM »

Could not agree with this more.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #1069 on: May 12, 2019, 09:36:30 PM »
This was the best of the 5 episodes so far. Sure some will not agree. IMO Dany had no choice from her perspective. Cersei met her match and did not expect Dany to burn the city to the ground, though I was somewhat disappointed that she and Jamie met their demise crushed by a pile of rubble. Will the mad queen triumph?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1070 on: May 12, 2019, 10:49:26 PM »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1071 on: May 12, 2019, 10:54:20 PM »
https://www.theringer.com/game-of-thrones/2019/5/9/18537794/game-of-thrones-ending-too-quickly-pacing

This sums up where I'm at.

Also, Jaime and cersei's ending? Gtfo

That’s how Cersei woulda wanted it though, not giving anybody the satisfaction to see her killed.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1072 on: May 12, 2019, 11:19:27 PM »
https://www.theringer.com/game-of-thrones/2019/5/9/18537794/game-of-thrones-ending-too-quickly-pacing

This sums up where I'm at.

Also, Jaime and cersei's ending? Gtfo

I think that's about where I'm at too.

I'm honestly not sure what to take away from this episode. The episode itself was well done enough, some minor flubs. I think the problem I have with it, is that it seems a bit in opposition dialogue and scenes this season. Seems like the directors of individual episodes didn't communicate well amongst each other, so it isn't particularly seamless.

Part of that is also them moving too fast, to not allow major character changes.

Not sure how they wrap this up in one episode.

An interesting parallel though, Queen Nymeria fled her destroyed empire after a Targaryan conquered them and burned it down. She took refugees to Dorne, and conquered herself an empire. Could Arya ride off on her horse to return with her own army.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #1073 on: May 12, 2019, 11:41:41 PM »
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 09:16:04 AM by Cheeks »
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1074 on: May 13, 2019, 12:24:06 AM »

Arya: I have to go see a man about a horse.