[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Game of Thrones fans here?  (Read 199706 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Game of Thrones fans here?
« Reply #1025 on: May 07, 2019, 10:26:42 AM »
Dude, its okay to continue to watch a program that you find major problems with.  I don't watch TV to shut down my brain.  If I did, then I'd be watching reality TV, karaoke TV, et al.

Dude, I have never seen one second of any reality TV show ever.

I happen to like GoT this season. And, if you have read any of my posts, you see that I do realize there are plot holes, silly situations, etc. But I still like the story, still like most characters, and still get enjoyment out of the series. Is it as good as previous seasons? Some episodes yes, some no. Then again, previous seasons had episodes one could say the same about.

And I do know how it is to feel one has to keep watching just to see what happens. I might be the only person in America who watched the entire season of John From Cincinnati. And I forced myself to watch the final season of House of Cards, too. I'll never get that time back.

Having said that, GoT at its worst, worst, worst, worst, worst, worst, worst moments is 1,000 times better than John From Cincinnati and the final season of House of Cards.

It's OK if you disagree, but everybody who disagrees with you isn't automatically "wrong." You're just another dude or dudette with an opinion, as the rest of us are.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1026 on: May 07, 2019, 10:37:33 AM »

I happen to like GoT this season. And, if you have read any of my posts, you see that I do realize there are plot holes, silly situations, etc. But I still like the story, still like most characters, and still get enjoyment out of the series. Is it as good as previous seasons? Some episodes yes, some no. Then again, previous seasons had episodes one could say the same about.

And I do know how it is to feel one has to keep watching just to see what happens. I might be the only person in America who watched the entire season of John From Cincinnati. And I forced myself to watch the final season of House of Cards, too. I'll never get that time back.

Having said that, GoT at its worst, worst, worst, worst, worst, worst, worst moments is 1,000 times better than John From Cincinnati and the final season of House of Cards.

It's OK if you disagree, but everybody who disagrees with you isn't automatically "wrong." You're just another dude or dudette with an opinion, as the rest of us are.

Agree completely, Mike.

I, too, have never watched a second of reality TV. Even though I know a contestant on The Voice this year, I still couldn't stoop that low.

Second, there are actually three people who watched the entirety of John From Cincinnati - you, me, and my wife.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1027 on: May 07, 2019, 10:45:15 AM »

Second, there are actually three people who watched the entirety of John From Cincinnati - you, me, and my wife.

Make that four.
Though, I confess, I was hate-watching it by the end.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1028 on: May 07, 2019, 10:51:10 AM »
Make that four.
Though, I confess, I was hate-watching it by the end.

Agree completely, Mike.

I, too, have never watched a second of reality TV. Even though I know a contestant on The Voice this year, I still couldn't stoop that low.

Maybe there's a national club where we could discuss this horrible addiction we had at the time.

JFC Anonymous?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1029 on: May 07, 2019, 11:03:38 AM »

I don't disagree with you here.  And I enjoy it for what it is.  But its a far cry from being good.

fwiw, I never watched the final season of HoC, that show fell off a cliff for me.  ASOIAF is my favorite book series, and is probably my favorite TV show.  But to watch the hack job that is this season is and then see people call it good?  It makes me question if we were watching the same show.  Because I assume that anyone who can think critically would see this for what it is.  An utter disappointment.

LON

• All American
« Reply #1030 on: May 07, 2019, 11:14:14 AM »
I don't disagree with you here.  And I enjoy it for what it is.  But its a far cry from being good.

fwiw, I never watched the final season of HoC, that show fell off a cliff for me.  ASOIAF is my favorite book series, and is probably my favorite TV show.  But to watch the hack job that is this season is and then see people call it good?  It makes me question if we were watching the same show.  Because I assume that anyone who can think critically would see this for what it is.  An utter disappointment.

I'm fully agreeing with you on this whole thing.  I've invested all this time in the books and the shows, and this is what we get?  I don't hate Martin for capitalizing on the TV money, but it's too bad for all of us he didn't wait until he had more of the books finished so the show didn't have to clumsily and speedily wrap up what has quickly turned out to be a poop-storm of a final season.

I won't stop watching it either.  And I mainly just complain to my show-watching friends and my non-watching wife, who is totally paying attention to my rants on Monday mornings.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1031 on: May 07, 2019, 11:28:21 AM »

Never read one word in the books, so they are as irrelevant to me as a book about housebreaking a rhino would be. I'd submit that you and other readers of the books are significantly influenced by them as you judge the show, but that's only my opinion.

I also enjoy it for what it is: entertainment. I am entertained, and I like the show. You are free to be not entertained, although you must be at least somewhat entertained if you "enjoy" it at all.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1032 on: May 07, 2019, 12:02:27 PM »
Never read one word in the books, so they are as irrelevant to me as a book about housebreaking a rhino would be. I'd submit that you and other readers of the books are significantly influenced by them as you judge the show, but that's only my opinion.

I also enjoy it for what it is: entertainment. I am entertained, and I like the show. You are free to be not entertained, although you must be at least somewhat entertained if you "enjoy" it at all.

I submit to you that I am not influenced by the books.  I'm influenced by how well the first half of the series was written and crafted.  Now that's out the window.

You're a weird dude to enjoy the show descending from intelligent coherent plot driven drama to the poorly cobbled together tropes that we're getting now.  I'm not sure why you're defensive of it all.  Its okay to watch the show and defend it or not defend it.  I just find it hard to believe that you really think this is good compared to what we're used to.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #1033 on: May 07, 2019, 01:00:39 PM »

I am a show-watcher only and haven't ready any of the books.  I'll admit I have been a little disappointed in this season compared to the previous few.  I think more than anything they don't have enough episodes/time left to put together an ending that the show deserves.  Too many things rushed, left unanswered, or confusing.

EDIT: Also just got thinking to myself, how would I view this season differently so far if I knew it wasn't the last one and we only have 2 episodes left?  Probably would be more satisfied knowing there is more to come.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1034 on: May 07, 2019, 01:09:53 PM »
Not sure why there is all the hate for reality TV, MTV's The Challenge is like America's 5th national sport and Vanderpump Rules is quite simply transcendent TV.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1035 on: May 07, 2019, 01:20:27 PM »

Apparently you are more intelligent than others here. You obviously subscribe to that notion.

Although, for you to call someone a "weird dude" because they don't agree with your nauseatingly repeated opinion on a TV show, your ignorance is on full display.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1036 on: May 07, 2019, 01:30:03 PM »
Actuallllllllllly, it's factually correct.

Apparently you are more intelligent than others here. You obviously subscribe to that notion.

Although, for you to call someone a "weird dude" because they don't agree with your nauseatingly repeated opinion on a TV show, your ignorance is on full display.

Visual approximation of Hards at a party:

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #1037 on: May 07, 2019, 02:23:02 PM »
I have a lot of similar feelings about the episode. I hate how quickly and clumsily they are wrapping up some of the pieces. But I loved that last scene,  easily my favorite of this season

I second this second!

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1038 on: May 07, 2019, 03:31:34 PM »

I think Hards' point is that this show was so much more than just entertainment for its first 4+ seasons. The fact that that this season is merely entertainment says a lot about how far it has fallen.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1039 on: May 07, 2019, 04:43:47 PM »
I think Hards' point is that this show was so much more than just entertainment for its first 4+ seasons. The fact that that this season is merely entertainment says a lot about how far it has fallen.

HOW DARE YOU.  You must enjoy it fully or you're a snobby blowhard!

Take away the "enjoyment" factor.  I can't fathom how someone who has watched the whole series can't notice or perceive the change in writing, plots, and tone.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1040 on: May 07, 2019, 08:40:11 PM »

It's a freaking TV show. Entertainment is exactly what it is, all it ever was and all it ever will be.
The novels? Same.
We can argue until we're blue in the face about the value and quality of said entertainment, but it's still just entertainment. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1041 on: May 07, 2019, 09:35:02 PM »
The show is not as good this season as it was in prior seasons. That happens in TV all the time, including most of the best shows ever to grace the screen.

Some shows really fall into an abyss and are not worth watching, and I stop watching most of those (but, as I said, I continued watching some, much to my regret). I happen to think GoT has not fallen anywhere near that level; indeed, I still like it for what it is.

Others are free to think whatever they want about particular episodes, this season, the last few seasons or the entire series. I'm not the one calling others foolish for disagreeing with me.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1042 on: May 07, 2019, 10:46:24 PM »

This is so damn cute.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1043 on: May 08, 2019, 10:13:30 AM »
The show is not as good this season as it was in prior seasons. That happens in TV all the time, including most of the best shows ever to grace the screen.

Some shows really fall into an abyss and are not worth watching, and I stop watching most of those (but, as I said, I continued watching some, much to my regret). I happen to think GoT has not fallen anywhere near that level; indeed, I still like it for what it is.

Whats funny is that the GoT "critics" (me included) are basically just saying the bolded.  All are still watching, all are still enjoying the show.  I was disappointed in the Battle of Winterfell, and my points about the past episode were well expressed, but I still CANT WAIT for Sunday.  Its a testament to the show that its "fallen off" a bit, and upset some very invested fans, but their excitement for the show is still at a fever pitch.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1044 on: May 08, 2019, 10:27:34 AM »
It's a freaking TV show. Entertainment is exactly what it is, all it ever was and all it ever will be.
The novels? Same.
We can argue until we're blue in the face about the value and quality of said entertainment, but it's still just entertainment.

I would argue some TV shows, movies, and books, rise to the level of art, not merely entertainment. I put the early seasons of Game of Thrones in that category. There is a difference. This becomes a greater philosophical discussion on where the line between art and entertainment lies. But most people wouldn't argue that there is a line SOMEWHERE.

I still enjoy the show. I haven't stopped watching. But there has been a real qualitative change in the last couple seasons.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 10:29:50 AM by Coleman »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1045 on: May 08, 2019, 10:32:34 AM »
Scripts of 5 and 6 leaked. People are freaking out saying the ending is absolutely terrible. Haven't read them and don't plan to.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1046 on: May 08, 2019, 11:48:52 AM »
Aaaaand ... I'm out of this thread until after the series ends.

I don't want to start debating how bad episodes 5 and 6 are until they've actually, you know, aired. And I don't want any spoilers.

The fact that extreme fanbois might be saying the ending sucks makes me think it will be great - ha!

See y'all in a couple weeks.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1047 on: May 08, 2019, 12:04:57 PM »
Scripts of 5 and 6 leaked. People are freaking out saying the ending is absolutely terrible. Haven't read them and don't plan to.

Has there ever been a popular and/or critically acclaimed TV series that's had an ending that hasn't provoked that kind of a response.
People are still big mad about The Sopranos and Seinfeld (and Dexter and MASH and Lost and Roseanne and ....)

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1048 on: May 08, 2019, 12:25:07 PM »
Has there ever been a popular and/or critically acclaimed TV series that's had an ending that hasn't provoked that kind of a response.
People are still big mad about The Sopranos and Seinfeld (and Dexter and MASH and Lost and Roseanne and ....)

I think the problem is that when you have a hot TV show, its in everyone's best interests (writers, network, etc...) to keep the money train rolling.  And too often it leads to running out of ideas/stretching things thin.  If you have a definitive end to the story, it usually works out.  But if you dont, or you're made to write past it, you get an issue.

Sopranos ending was fine and made sense, people just didn't like the ambiguity.  Seinfeld was just weird.  Dexter's final season was horrible leading up to that nonsense.  I think endings can get plenty of buffer of opinion if it makes sense/fits the tenor of the narrative or show.  Its when it doesn't that people get upset.  People were fine with The Wire, with Sons of Anarchy, Boardwalk Empire

All my opinion of course.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1049 on: May 08, 2019, 12:58:39 PM »
I think the problem is that when you have a hot TV show, its in everyone's best interests (writers, network, etc...) to keep the money train rolling.  And too often it leads to running out of ideas/stretching things thin.  If you have a definitive end to the story, it usually works out.  But if you dont, or you're made to write past it, you get an issue.

Sopranos ending was fine and made sense, people just didn't like the ambiguity.  Seinfeld was just weird.  Dexter's final season was horrible leading up to that nonsense.  I think endings can get plenty of buffer of opinion if it makes sense/fits the tenor of the narrative or show.  Its when it doesn't that people get upset.  People were fine with The Wire, with Sons of Anarchy, Boardwalk Empire

All my opinion of course.

Breaking bad, The Sopranos, and The Wire are the gold standard imo.

Boardwalk Empire was such a great show but HBO canceled and the last season was clearly rushed.  Having said that, they did an alright job with what they had to tie together.

I wont be reading spoilers for th last episodes but I will leave this here.  Its absolutely not a spoiler, but an indication of how the actors seem to feel.

https://streamable.com/tanow