[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Which is your favorite?

Hegarty's
52 (36.6%)
Avalanche
31 (21.8%)
Gym
11 (7.7%)
Lennys
2 (1.4%)
Glocca Morra
6 (4.2%)
Murphy's Law
1 (0.7%)
Lighthouse
1 (0.7%)
Ardmore
11 (7.7%)
O'Donoghues
6 (4.2%)
Angelos
14 (9.9%)
O'Pagets
3 (2.1%)
State House
3 (2.1%)
Good Times
0 (0%)
The Midget
1 (0.7%)

Total Members Voted: 141

Author Topic: Best now-closed MU Bar  (Read 15747 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Best now-closed MU Bar
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2013, 10:42:36 PM »
What about the Midget on 24th and Wells? Aptly named. Tiny. Indescribably smoky. The owner, Frank Herald, was a great guy. Sadly, it burned down a few years after I graduated.

With no Midget on the list, I had to choose State House. Good specials, crazy owner, pretty girls liked hanging there. OK, the real reason: One of my best friends bartended there so my buds and I drank for free. After closing, we'd hang out and have the "Olympics": darts, pool, Donkey Kong, Missile Command. The loser had to drink a shot. So did the winner.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2013, 11:36:54 PM »
What about the Midget on 24th and Wells? Aptly named. Tiny. Indescribably smoky. The owner, Frank Herald, was a great guy. Sadly, it burned down a few years after I graduated.

With no Midget on the list, I had to choose State House. Good specials, crazy owner, pretty girls liked hanging there. OK, the real reason: One of my best friends bartended there so my buds and I drank for free. After closing, we'd hang out and have the "Olympics": darts, pool, Donkey Kong, Missile Command. The loser had to drink a shot. So did the winner.

+1000000

After Frank died, his son sold it to Mike Dugan who ran it until it closed. Mike later died. Remember the Blatz baseball sculpture in back. Buy a round for the house and they rang the bell.  Where my Name originated. Still have a t-shirt somewhere.

Went with the Gym as Plan B.

j_mauck3

• Walk-On
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2013, 12:30:39 AM »
What about Big Shots? I used to go there before it was Caffrey's.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2013, 08:44:05 AM »
This will come off as blasphemous:
Being of the millennials crowd on this board, I only have been to two of the above listed bars Heags and Blows.
I never really cared for either. I had friends swear by Angelo's pizza and double your dough night at Heags but neither were really my place. That being said its still unfortunate Heags closed since it severely limits students choices now

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2013, 08:54:17 AM »
What about Big Shots? I used to go there before it was Caffrey's.

Cum Shots...only really good for the free cans of Rooster...
But I like to throw handfuls...

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2013, 10:36:01 AM »
Added the Midget to the Poll

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2013, 10:43:22 AM »
Fielder's Choice.  10th Floor McCormick, 77-78, bar of choice.

A lot of dime tappers consumed on Thursday nights.  A lot of bladder relief along 15th St. on the way home.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2013, 10:52:25 AM »
Cum Shots...only really good for the free cans of Rooster...

Big Shots:  the official bar for sophomores after intro to accounting 1 & 2 exams.  Otherwise, I don't think anyone went there.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2013, 12:25:04 PM »
Brew City

What high school?

Goose--Brookfield Central
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2013, 01:19:05 PM »
The closing of Angelo's was a sad day. Aside from great memories my family still eat there several times a year up to closing. Seldom does a month or two go by without one of my kids saying they wished Angie's was still open. While it will never be the same but would love to see Sobelman's give pizza a try at MU campus location.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2013, 01:40:44 PM »
The closing of Angelo's was a sad day. Aside from great memories my family still eat there several times a year up to closing. Seldom does a month or two go by without one of my kids saying they wished Angie's was still open. While it will never be the same but would love to see Sobelman's give pizza a try at MU campus location.

Its my understanding MU has the recipes, could probably share them with Sobelmans if they wanted them.

Best item at Angelos was not on the menu...you had to ask for it...Lasagna Sticks....

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2013, 02:21:29 PM »

I thought I had read when they originally announced that Sobelman's was going to take over the place that they intended to put Pizza on the menu, bit not right away. It could be that the burger thing is successful enough and they don't need to do the pizza thing.

By the way, the next time you go to Sobelman's, make sure you notice the orignal metal Angelo's sign in the hallway by the bathrooms.  It's the one that used to be on the East side of the building/
Have some patience, FFS.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2013, 02:22:17 PM »
Blow's still has their tent at Summerfest where they serve lasagna sticks and they are glorious. We had a Super Bowl party one year and got 12 pizzas and 100 lasagna sticks delivered to our house, we were eating those things for days
Bring back FFP!!!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2013, 02:59:51 PM »
Warrior chick

I heard same thing on the pizza for Sobelman's and have been asking my son on regular basis if they serving the pizza. Hopefully one of these days it will happen. To date I have not been able to go into Sobelmans on campus because still upset Angelo's is gone. Some things are meant to live on.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2013, 03:11:16 PM »
Warrior chick

I heard same thing on the pizza for Sobelman's and have been asking my son on regular basis if they serving the pizza. Hopefully one of these days it will happen. To date I have not been able to go into Sobelmans on campus because still upset Angelo's is gone. Some things are meant to live on.

Sobelman's has the recipies.  I got that word directly from the university administration some time back.  I had thought they would incorporate Angelo's product offering into the existing restaurant but so far have not.  It may be that Sobelman could choose to open a second location on campus at some point but I have not heard that directly.  Anyway, I'm always happy when a MU restaurant has 'local' ownership rather than being a national chain.

Goose, absolutely give Sobelman's a try.  Excellent addition to campus.  And know that on his recruiting trip, the boys (including DJO) took McKay there last summer.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2013, 03:27:59 PM »
Warrior chick

For what it's worth, Angelo's was a shadow of its former self by the end. My daughter told us that it turned into a hangout for underage kids because they didn't check IDs quite as conscientously as the other campus spots.  And there wasn't  much pizza-eating going on.  Back in the day, I never drank beer at Angelo's unless it was to wash down my food.  No one went there just to drink.
Have some patience, FFS.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2013, 03:52:58 PM »
Conway's?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2013, 04:11:24 PM »
For what it's worth, Angelo's was a shadow of its former self by the end. My daughter told us that it turned into a hangout for underage kids because they didn't check IDs quite as conscientously as the other campus spots.  And there wasn't  much pizza-eating going on.  Back in the day, I never drank beer at Angelo's unless it was to wash down my food.  No one went there just to drink.

The food was still good. It became a freshman bar after 10 pm. But it was absolutely still a dinner spot before that.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2013, 04:11:51 PM »
Conway's?

WOW totally forgot about that place. When did it close? They used to have decent live music

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2013, 04:13:09 PM »
Blow's still has their tent at Summerfest

For real? If true, that's worth the price of admission to Summerfest alone!

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2013, 04:15:24 PM »
Actually funny story about the infamous underage bar Angelos became.

Me and my buddy (both of us 21) went there one night to drink because we were too lazy to go anywhere else (lived right at 16th and Kilbourn)...and the place got busted by the cops at about 11 pm. Everyone under 21 had to leave...me and my buddy were literally the only people left in the whole place...we stayed and had the place to ourselves...

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2013, 04:19:53 PM »
I miss Theo's the most
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2013, 04:21:46 PM »
jsglow and I met at Thoma's.  Who remembers that place?
Have some patience, FFS.

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2013, 04:49:15 PM »
WOW totally forgot about that place. When did it close? They used to have decent live music

Great place. Pretty sure it's still around...but not frequented often by many students.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2013, 05:44:23 PM »
Great place. Pretty sure it's still around...but not frequented often by many students.

Still around. Great place, too far for today's student I think.