[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Which is your favorite?

Hegarty's
52 (36.6%)
Avalanche
31 (21.8%)
Gym
11 (7.7%)
Lennys
2 (1.4%)
Glocca Morra
6 (4.2%)
Murphy's Law
1 (0.7%)
Lighthouse
1 (0.7%)
Ardmore
11 (7.7%)
O'Donoghues
6 (4.2%)
Angelos
14 (9.9%)
O'Pagets
3 (2.1%)
State House
3 (2.1%)
Good Times
0 (0%)
The Midget
1 (0.7%)

Total Members Voted: 141

Author Topic: Best now-closed MU Bar  (Read 15746 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Best now-closed MU Bar
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2013, 02:08:36 AM »
Harp and Sham was great for those 6am sessions. Then go to Broken Yolk afterwards.

Do they still have George Webb's?

Death on call

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2013, 07:27:57 AM »
Harp and Sham was great for those 6am sessions. Then go to Broken Yolk afterwards.

My nominee for best addition to the MU scene since 1986. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2013, 07:31:19 AM »

They are still around, but there's not one near campus any more.
Have some patience, FFS.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2013, 08:46:51 AM »
I am with you Lloyd on The Broken Yoke.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2013, 02:10:51 PM »
Our two Harp & Shamrock favorites were "You Never Even Call Me By My Name" by David Allen Coe (as written by Steve Goodman) and the Elvis version of "My Way."

And yes, three decades later (as I discovered on a December visit), they are still on the juke there. Somehow, that's comforting to know.

Me and my Marquette peeps still sing The Perfect Country and Western song loud and proud when we hear it.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2013, 03:52:09 PM »
Yes.  There's one around the corner from the Hyatt downtown.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2013, 04:47:42 PM »
The George Webbs that was on Campus at 16th and Wells is now a Qdoba

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2013, 04:49:18 PM »
Back to the poll, was kind of surprised to see Hegarty's run away with it. I thought the Avalanche would have been closer.

Maybe part of it is due to Hegarty's longevity, since more people here got to experience its magic.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2013, 05:02:56 PM »
I think Hegarty's leads because it was the only oldtime bar still open during the 00's.  Most of the recent grads never got to experience the Lanche or Gym.  They only had one option to vote for (I don't count Angelos). I came in just as Lenny's closed, so I don't have any experience there, although I heard stories that rival the Lanche.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2013, 09:16:16 PM »
I think Hegarty's leads because it was the only oldtime bar still open during the 00's.  Most of the recent grads never got to experience the Lanche or Gym.  They only had one option to vote for (I don't count Angelos). I came in just as Lenny's closed, so I don't have any experience there, although I heard stories that rival the Lanche.

I am one of two to vote for Lenny's. My friend, the Lanche was that worn plantation house fallen on hard times, glimpses of her former glory straining against faded chintz, the yellowed chandeliers from Paris no longer illuminating splendid gentlemen in gray, settled uncomfortably on the veranda for the next mint julep while rehashing that field and Pickett's failure and the agony of what might have been, as the rustle of hooped skirts reverberates through darkened hallways hinting at the salacious, but the only life is in the Spanish Moss draped capriciously on gnarled cypress.

Lenny's was the tar paper shack out on the Bayou, beyond the critical gaze of the censuring eye, where the gentility slithered off at dusk to join the unwashed indulging earthier hungers, the sharp twang of the blues resonates off tin, the sorrow and pity of those words adding depth, richness, and meaning to the bourbon, there is loss but few regrets and certainly no remorse, where a man's soul is darker than the waters outside with desires more venomous than the cotton mouth, a place where dreams swirl in a monotonous languor bereft of hope.

Death on call

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2013, 09:15:46 AM »
I am one of two to vote for Lenny's. My friend, the Lanche was that worn plantation house fallen on hard times, glimpses of her former glory straining against faded chintz, the yellowed chandeliers from Paris no longer illuminating splendid gentlemen in gray, settled uncomfortably on the veranda for the next mint julep while rehashing that field and Pickett's failure and the agony of what might have been, as the rustle of hooped skirts reverberates through darkened hallways hinting at the salacious, but the only life is in the Spanish Moss draped capriciously on gnarled cypress.

Lenny's was the tar paper shack out on the Bayou, beyond the critical gaze of the censuring eye, where the gentility slithered off at dusk to join the unwashed indulging earthier hungers, the sharp twang of the blues resonates off tin, the sorrow and pity of those words adding depth, richness, and meaning to the bourbon, there is loss but few regrets and certainly no remorse, where a man's soul is darker than the waters outside with desires more venomous than the cotton mouth, a place where dreams swirl in a monotonous languor bereft of hope.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 09:18:07 AM by Victor McCormick »

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2013, 02:03:42 PM »
Bernie and Melbas was the best when you wanted to mix it up with the "locals" after a few at OPs first.

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2013, 09:00:19 PM »
What, no love for Grunt's?

Yes! My wife and her girlfriend from Mount Mary used to hold the foos ball table all night.  J.V. Grunts was a fun place.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 07:35:01 AM by Marqevans »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2013, 02:40:07 AM »
Yes! My wife and her girlfriend from Mount Mary used to hold the football table all night.  J.V. Grunts was a fun place.

I don't think I ever went to Grunts. It was kinda like the Kansas of the Marquette bar scene. Everyone flew over it going from the Gym to the Lanche.

Death on call

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2013, 06:51:56 AM »
I don't think I ever went to Grunts. It was kinda like the Kansas of the Marquette bar scene. Everyone flew over it going from the Gym to the Lanche.
We would stop in Grunts towards the end of the night, occasionally ordering food.  More than likely though it was because one of our Honorary Lighthouse Members liked to go in and "scrap."  Scrapping was walking up to a table of people, asking if they were done with their food and reaching for some at the same time.  Once he touched it, the people at the table didn't want their food anymore.....Thanks for coming Mac.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2013, 01:42:14 PM »
We would stop in Grunts towards the end of the night, occasionally ordering food.  More than likely though it was because one of our Honorary Lighthouse Members liked to go in and "scrap."  Scrapping was walking up to a table of people, asking if they were done with their food and reaching for some at the same time.  Once he touched it, the people at the table didn't want their food anymore.....Thanks for coming Mac.

A favorite Chris Farley moved at Amigos, but it involved an appendage other than his hand.

I remember being at Grunt's a few times freshman year and, also, most vividly, senior year in HS visiting MU for the first time; that night clinched the deal. 

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2013, 02:15:42 PM »
A favorite Chris Farley move at Amigos, but it involved an appendage other than his hand.

I can vouch for that.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 02:17:42 PM by SaintPaulWarrior »

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2013, 05:26:14 PM »
My favorite was Calahans on Klibourn just around the corner from the Wehr Life Science building.

garekis

• Walk-On
« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2013, 05:06:24 PM »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2013, 12:17:17 AM »
So do I.

#BestScreenName

(unless it's really John, in which case Namazi typed it. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart