[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Which is your favorite?

Hegarty's
52 (36.6%)
Avalanche
31 (21.8%)
Gym
11 (7.7%)
Lennys
2 (1.4%)
Glocca Morra
6 (4.2%)
Murphy's Law
1 (0.7%)
Lighthouse
1 (0.7%)
Ardmore
11 (7.7%)
O'Donoghues
6 (4.2%)
Angelos
14 (9.9%)
O'Pagets
3 (2.1%)
State House
3 (2.1%)
Good Times
0 (0%)
The Midget
1 (0.7%)

Total Members Voted: 141

Author Topic: Best now-closed MU Bar  (Read 15744 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: Best now-closed MU Bar
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2013, 06:37:36 PM »
jsglow

Have enjoyed the original Sobelmans several times and have enjoyed. Also, glad to hear about your meeting warrior chick at Thoma's. Spent plenty of time there as well, especially when Terry ran Chicago style hot dogs nearby.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2013, 08:18:20 PM »
The closing of Angelo's was a sad day in my life. I had some great memories getting their pizza and a pitcher night special.  It was a damn shame they closed that place down. 

I remember guys in McCormick would order take out pizza then dash out without paying. The cooks would come running out a back door, to give chase. Great sport!

Death on call

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2013, 08:47:17 PM »
Does anyone remember the name of a bar that was on the North side of Wells, I believe the same general area as Thoma's?  It had some bizarre amateurish murals on the walls that featured some seminude women.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 09:37:28 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2013, 08:57:57 PM »
I remember guys in McCormick would order take out pizza then dash out without paying. The cooks would come running out a back door, to give chase. Great sport!
i think that was called dine and dash...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 09:31:20 AM by Lighthouse 84 »
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2013, 12:04:37 AM »
If I recall Thoma's served free food Sunday mornings with your Bloody Marys.  I have sketchy recall of a pretty good pork chop there.

Can't recall the name of that bar nearby but do recall one being there. Stopped by Club Bagdad in Cudahy after the DePaul game and was disappointed that its oasis mural is no more.  My displeasure was somewhat offset by the $1 frosty mug of PBR.

I need someone to throw a vote the Midget's way since I burned mine too early on the Gym. Hate to see it get shut out.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2013, 06:47:32 AM »
If I recall Thoma's served free food Sunday mornings with your Bloody Marys.  I have sketchy recall of a pretty good pork chop there.

Can't recall the name of that bar nearby but do recall one being there. Stopped by Club Bagdad in Cudahy after the DePaul game and was disappointed that its oasis mural is no more.  My displeasure was somewhat offset by the $1 frosty mug of PBR.

I need someone to throw a vote the Midget's way since I burned mine too early on the Gym. Hate to see it get shut out.

I put up a picture of The Midget on another thread.

Death on call

awilhelmscream

• Starter
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2013, 04:17:22 PM »
Heagarty's was incredible.  I was a student 04-08 and double your dough night was always fun.  Friends with the bartenders and they to this day made the bet beer cheese soup I've ever had.  They also created a sandwich in 06 only available during finals week called "the final". It was a 1lb burger topped with 1/2 LB roast beef and smothered with an jous and cheese.  It was served with a basket of fries and another side.  If you finished everything in one sitting you got it free.  I wrecked that thing and the side of beer cheese soup and a pitcher of beer.  The bartender looked flabbergasted as a 5'9" 140 LB sopping wet kid destroyed that.  Great memories.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2013, 08:46:59 PM »
What, no love for Grunt's?

I don't think anyone went to Grunt's. When did that place close?

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2013, 08:50:09 PM »
Very tough call.  I went with the Gym, because that was a bar in the heart of campus which I frequented all four years (the other which was a four year bar was the Lanche) and on any given night.  Many of the others were only one night a week spots or we only spent time there during freshman year or senior year etc.

I would also support OP's, because it opened and became very popular during my time at MU; watched many Blackhawk games there; had two friends who were OPs bartenders; and it is where I had my first "Marquette Date" with Mrs. Legs.

Gym was a good place to start the evening or as a palate cleanser when moving from Lenny's to a Well's Street eatery. Not really the sort of bar where you could hunker down and absorb the pathos of the cruel city or reflect on where one's mortal soul was headed.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2013, 08:54:08 PM »
This will come off as blasphemous:
Being of the millennials crowd on this board, I only have been to two of the above listed bars Heags and Blows.
I never really cared for either.

Good Lord that is more than blasphemous. I don't know Blows but to say that Jim Hegarty's allure escaped you is disturbing. And if you didn't get Hegarty's then The Lanche, Kernan's, Lenny's, National Liquor, The Midget and the Camel Club were well beyond your realm of comprehension. 

My God but the gene pool has thinned...

Death on call

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2013, 09:30:14 AM »
Good Lord that is more than blasphemous. I don't know Blows but to say that Jim Hegarty's allure escaped you is disturbing. And if you didn't get Hegarty's then The Lanche, Kernan's, Lenny's, National Liquor, The Midget and the Camel Club were well beyond your realm of comprehension. 

My God but the gene pool has thinned...

"Blows" is Angelos. Not sure when it acquired that nickname but it was well-established by the time I set foot on campus in 2004.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2013, 09:32:08 AM »
Still around. Great place, too far for today's student I think.

Funny how 22nd and Wells is "too far"...although I agree with you, for most students it is.

Right across the street from Harp & Sham, another favorite of mine

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2013, 09:53:51 AM »
Thoma's.  The last night they were open was a riot.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2013, 10:10:49 AM »

Nothing better than a little early morning Pantera with Ted.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2013, 11:23:25 AM »
Greentree's Dime Tappers
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2013, 02:51:37 PM »

For real? If true, that's worth the price of admission to Summerfest alone!

Unfortunately it's still there

MU82

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2013, 03:21:56 PM »
Funny how 22nd and Wells is "too far"...although I agree with you, for most students it is.

Harp and Shamrock was our major hangout junior and senior years. The night before the MU-LSU game, my wife and I met a couple Marquette buddies there -- our first time in about 20 years. Glad it's still open, even if our old favorite bartender, Dan Fischer, no longer works there.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2013, 02:10:46 PM »
Black Spider gone too long to make the list.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2013, 03:54:31 PM »
jsglow and I met at Thoma's.  Who remembers that place?
I have a vague memory of Thoma's.  Where was it?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2013, 08:03:47 PM »
I have a vague memory of Thoma's.  Where was it?

Wells, somewhere in the low twenties.  That's the best I can do for you.
Have some patience, FFS.

MUFC9295

• Team Captain
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2013, 08:51:03 PM »
Wells, somewhere in the low twenties.  That's the best I can do for you.

21st.  Its a parking lot now. Closed in 94?  Friends lived at the "North Pole" (purposely misnamed for a far point west - 2039 West Wells). They introduced me to the the Conway's/Thomas/Harp triangle.  My roommate's band played the first two.  Would have played the H & S, but couldn't figure out how to turn off "ring of fire" which played incessantly on the juke... and may still be going.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2013, 09:07:54 PM »
21st.  Its a parking lot now. Closed in 94?  Friends lived at the "North Pole" (purposely misnamed for a far point west - 2039 West Wells). They introduced me to the the Conway's/Thomas/Harp triangle.  My roommate's band played the first two.  Would have played the H & S, but couldn't figure out how to turn off "ring of fire" which played incessantly on the juke... and may still be going.

As a senior and then a recently graduated working guy I spend many a weekend evening up in that 'triangle'.  I guess I had tired of the old hangouts near campus and for whatever reason I was never much of a State Street guy. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2013, 09:10:15 PM »

Was Conway's the one with the bad naked lady drawings on the walls?
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2013, 03:42:22 PM »

Our two Harp & Shamrock favorites were "You Never Even Call Me By My Name" by David Allen Coe (as written by Steve Goodman) and the Elvis version of "My Way."

And yes, three decades later (as I discovered on a December visit), they are still on the juke there. Somehow, that's comforting to know.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warrior_rugby15

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2013, 12:00:56 AM »
Harp and Sham was great for those 6am sessions. Then go to Broken Yolk afterwards.