'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024?  (Read 1030210 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: So....What are we ranked on Monday - 2/18/19
« Reply #2300 on: February 21, 2019, 12:16:49 AM »
Crowd chants overrated the entire game, storms the court anyways.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #2301 on: February 21, 2019, 12:18:12 AM »
1, 6, 13, 17 goes down! MU ranked 2nd next week?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2302 on: February 21, 2019, 12:29:46 AM »
Didn’t catch em in last yrs tourney?

They will be the most underrated team going into the dance in history imo.

They may show up with 2 losses, and a 4/5 seed, with multiple nba guys.

They are flashy and brash, easily hateable, but sorry for the 1 seed in their region

Was in a foreign country with little access to any source of watching NCAA games during last year's tournament.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #2303 on: February 21, 2019, 12:46:35 AM »
Was in a foreign country with little access to any source of watching NCAA games during last year's tournament.

Fair enough. They made a nice run, a lot of nice wins. They are better this yr. Better defense, better players (Caroline was putrid tonight!)

I do think nevada is a college darling type of team. I don’t think Caroline or the Martin Twins have solid next level ability but they may be college strong.

Can’t wait to watch em

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #2304 on: February 21, 2019, 12:50:44 AM »
Who doesn't have internet. Where were you Somalia?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2305 on: February 21, 2019, 05:13:12 AM »
Crowd chants overrated the entire game, storms the court anyways.

that's a weird chant-one is admitting they just beat a team and they're really not that good. and then storm the court?  why?  the team ya just beat sucks and they are getting all geeked
don't...don't don't don't don't

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #2306 on: February 21, 2019, 05:26:17 AM »
I've never seen a coach begging for a technical more than Musselman in this first half. Nose to nose with a ref and screaming in his face. How he walked away clean I don't know.

Muss fits the profile of mid major coach to leave for a bigger school this year.  He has a great team but lots of players graduate.  Been getting a ton of national press.

Could Musselmann be the guy for UCLA?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2307 on: February 21, 2019, 05:29:19 AM »
Muss fits the profile of mid major coach to leave for a bigger school this year.  He has a great team but lots of players graduate.  Been getting a ton of national press.

Could Musselmann be the guy for UCLA?

No but maybe Washington State?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #2308 on: February 21, 2019, 06:05:49 AM »
Didn’t catch em in last yrs tourney?

They will be the most underrated team going into the dance in history imo.

They may show up with 2 losses, and a 4/5 seed, with multiple nba guys.

They are flashy and brash, easily hateable, but sorry for the 1 seed in their region

In history?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

HowardsWorld

• All American
« Reply #2309 on: February 21, 2019, 07:39:31 AM »
Nevada was a 4 seed even with the #6 ranking. Would not be surprised if that loss dropped them down to a 6 or even 7 seed.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #2310 on: February 21, 2019, 10:15:44 AM »
In terms of NET rankings, last night was a pretty good night for us.

Nevada dropped from 11 to 22 with their loss.  Their drop also allowed us to move up one spot to 19.  I'd expect that they'll drop behind us in the polls assuming we win on Saturday.

Both Georgetown (81 to 71) and Providence (88 to 74) got big bumps from their wins, jumping into the top 75.  This is the cutoff for a Q1 road game, so if they both can hang in the top 75, we'll gain at least one Q1 victory with a chance to pick up another on Saturday (or, at worst, only absorb a Q1 loss instead of a second Q2 loss).   

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #2311 on: February 21, 2019, 10:28:42 AM »
So happy Nevada lost.  Musselman is a bitch, got an entire team if 5th seniors and coming off an E8.  Yet he schedules no one!! And plz dont start with they scheduled 2 pac12 teams, they have only sucked for 5-6 years now. Take yr team in the road pkay a big 10 team or a bug 12 team.  Ur still gonna win 25 fin games!!!
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2312 on: February 21, 2019, 10:32:46 AM »
So happy Nevada lost.  Musselman is a bitch, got an entire team if 5th seniors and coming off an E8.  Yet he schedules no one!! And plz dont start with they scheduled 2 pac12 teams, they have only sucked for 5-6 years now. Take yr team in the road pkay a big 10 team or a bug 12 team.  Ur still gonna win 25 fin games!!!

Your posts are harder to read than 4nevers, and he's doing it intentionally.

And there are a lot of bitches in your world.  Seems to be the word of the day for you.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

fjm

• All American
« Reply #2313 on: February 21, 2019, 11:07:34 AM »
Your posts are harder to read than 4nevers, and he's doing it intentionally.

And there are a lot of bitches in your world.  Seems to be the word of the day for you.

All true statements. And his posts are getting more angry by the day.

But also I have 0 respect for his insights after all the hate for Luke and then declaring Sacar the worst 2G in the BEast.

No content, all anger.

the eagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2314 on: February 21, 2019, 11:29:04 AM »

Nevada is at risk in MWC - they still have a game @ USU next month, a team ranked better then them currently in fg%, 3pt%, rebounds and points scored.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #2315 on: February 21, 2019, 11:42:11 AM »
In terms of NET rankings, last night was a pretty good night for us.

Nevada dropped from 11 to 22 with their loss.  Their drop also allowed us to move up one spot to 19.  I'd expect that they'll drop behind us in the polls assuming we win on Saturday.

Both Georgetown (81 to 71) and Providence (88 to 74) got big bumps from their wins, jumping into the top 75.  This is the cutoff for a Q1 road game, so if they both can hang in the top 75, we'll gain at least one Q1 victory with a chance to pick up another on Saturday (or, at worst, only absorb a Q1 loss instead of a second Q2 loss).

Following up on this, we are now tied for the third-most Q1 victories in the country:

Mich St. (NET #8) 10-3
Kansas (15) 9-5
Virginia (2) 8-2
Kentucky (5) 8-3
Marquette (19) 8-3
Miss St. (26) 8-4
Duke (3) 7-2
Purdue (11) 7-6
Wisconsin (12) 7-6

Still have the chance to add Q1 victories @Providence (maybe if they can stick in top 25), @Villanova, @Seton Hall plus any wins against Nova and maybe SJU, Butler, Creighton or Seton Hall in the Big East tournament (all four are close to the top 50 cutoff for neutral court games). 

This will be the biggest argument in favor of MU grabbing a 2-seed if they can maintain their success down the stretch. 

The Thing

• Team Captain
« Reply #2316 on: February 22, 2019, 08:55:11 AM »
Norlander’s CBS Power Rankings moves MU up 3 spots to #9

team logo   Marquette
⤴️  Last week: No. 12
The Golden Eagles (22-4) have lost to zero teams not named St. John's since Nov. 21. They're 11-2 in the Big East and now have the lead in the standings after Villanova's awful stretch in which the Wildcats have dropped three of four -- and dropped out of these power rankings. The two teams meet Wednesday at Nova.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-power-rankings-virginia-takes-back-no-1-from-duke-kentucky-up-to-no-3/amp/
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 08:58:35 AM by The Thing »

wojoswarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #2317 on: February 22, 2019, 10:04:39 AM »
Following up on this, we are now tied for the third-most Q1 victories in the country:

Mich St. (NET #8) 10-3
Kansas (15) 9-5
Virginia (2) 8-2
Kentucky (5) 8-3
Marquette (19) 8-3
Miss St. (26) 8-4
Duke (3) 7-2
Purdue (11) 7-6
Wisconsin (12) 7-6

Still have the chance to add Q1 victories @Providence (maybe if they can stick in top 25), @Villanova, @Seton Hall plus any wins against Nova and maybe SJU, Butler, Creighton or Seton Hall in the Big East tournament (all four are close to the top 50 cutoff for neutral court games). 

This will be the biggest argument in favor of MU grabbing a 2-seed if they can maintain their success down the stretch.

The NET methodology is most likely to convoluted to explain a couple of easy sentences, but........? How do Bucky and Purdue play only one more Q1 game than Marquette but have 1 less win and 3 more Q1 losses, yet they are ranked 11 and 12 and we are 19 in the NET rankings.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2318 on: February 22, 2019, 10:26:35 AM »
The NET methodology is most likely to convoluted to explain a couple of easy sentences, but........? How do Bucky and Purdue play only one more Q1 game than Marquette but have 1 less win and 3 more Q1 losses, yet they are ranked 11 and 12 and we are 19 in the NET rankings.

1, they have played 2 more Q1 games. Not 1.

NET doesn't just look at who you beat and where you beat them but also how you beat them. Marquette has squeaked out a lot of close wins and had some blowout losses. Bucky and Purdue on the other hand have some blowout wins and don't get blown out themselves.

Don't worry,  NET is just one metric on the resume. The rest of our resume definitely puts us ahead of Bucky and probably slightly ahead of Purdue at this point
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #2319 on: February 22, 2019, 10:38:13 AM »
Punctuation, yes.
Spelling, no.
Nice try, troll!

FIFY
Have some patience, FFS.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #2320 on: February 22, 2019, 11:11:33 AM »
Let's just TCB tomorrow - easy to look past the Friars to Philly.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #2321 on: February 22, 2019, 02:41:57 PM »
1, they have played 2 more Q1 games. Not 1.

NET doesn't just look at who you beat and where you beat them but also how you beat them. Marquette has squeaked out a lot of close wins and had some blowout losses. Bucky and Purdue on the other hand have some blowout wins and don't get blown out themselves.

Don't worry,  NET is just one metric on the resume. The rest of our resume definitely puts us ahead of Bucky and probably slightly ahead of Purdue at this point

Another thing that I think is weighing Marquette down is having 7 Q4 wins.  Wisconsin and Purdue have 4 each.  But that's just a hunch since the NET formula is unknown.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2322 on: February 22, 2019, 03:14:53 PM »
Another thing that I think is weighing Marquette down is having 7 Q4 wins.  Wisconsin and Purdue have 4 each.  But that's just a hunch since the NET formula is unknown.

Theoretically, it shouldn't matter because it's not about who you play but how well you play. I think what's key here is that Purdue and Wisconsin played better against  Q4 teams

Avg Margin of Victory against Q4:

Wisconsin:  32.75
Purdue: 30.25
Marquette: 24.86

I don't know how much, but both Purdue and Wisconsin get significant boosts over Marquette because they blew out their cupcakes by more than Marquette did. The UTEP win might hurt our NET numbers more than any of our losses. It's one of the failings of systems like KenPom and NET. NET at least tried to address this by capping the margin of victory at 10 but the efficiency stats still get counted past 10 points. The bigger the blowout, the more likely it is that you were playing efficient basketball.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2323 on: February 22, 2019, 03:41:01 PM »
It's one of the failings of systems like KenPom and NET. NET at least tried to address this by capping the margin of victory at 10 but the efficiency stats still get counted past 10 points. The bigger the blowout, the more likely it is that you were playing efficient basketball.

They should really get rid of the margin (capped or uncapped) altogether. Since margin is baked into efficiency, they are essentially giving bonus points for margin up to 10.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #2324 on: February 22, 2019, 03:46:28 PM »
Theoretically, it shouldn't matter because it's not about who you play but how well you play. I think what's key here is that Purdue and Wisconsin played better against  Q4 teams

Avg Margin of Victory against Q4:

Wisconsin:  32.75
Purdue: 30.25
Marquette: 24.86

I don't know how much, but both Purdue and Wisconsin get significant boosts over Marquette because they blew out their cupcakes by more than Marquette did. The UTEP win might hurt our NET numbers more than any of our losses. It's one of the failings of systems like KenPom and NET. NET at least tried to address this by capping the margin of victory at 10 but the efficiency stats still get counted past 10 points. The bigger the blowout, the more likely it is that you were playing efficient basketball.

The NET has 5 components.  Efficiency is component 2, (capped) scoring margin is component 5.  I am talking about component 1: team value index.

This component is an algorithm based on opponent,  location, and result.  Yes, it is a total mystery what exactly the "opponent" factor is, but this is where I think the quantity of Q4 games matter.  Again, since the NET formula and weighting is unknown, it's just my guess.  Hopefully this better explains my thought process.