[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by BobWildLoyalist
[Today at 10:36:31 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 803327 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #3550 on: October 07, 2021, 08:47:27 PM »
Should've been 11 v 9 most of the game, but the better side won. Considering they started with two draws, in decent position now.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3551 on: October 07, 2021, 08:54:18 PM »
Players that surprised me tonight: Musah, Arriola, Weah

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3552 on: October 08, 2021, 10:04:48 AM »
Still a small sample size, but concerns about the no. 9 are dropping by the game.

Didn't create a ton going forward which was somewhat to be expected considering the players missing.

Adams needs to be named permanent captain, highest work rate on the team by far.

Top of the table and still on pace for a 7 point window, keep the momentum.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #3553 on: October 08, 2021, 11:21:46 AM »
Still a small sample size, but concerns about the no. 9 are dropping by the game.

Didn't create a ton going forward which was somewhat to be expected considering the players missing.

Adams needs to be named permanent captain, highest work rate on the team by far.

Top of the table and still on pace for a 7 point window, keep the momentum.

Agree with this and thought it was interesting that Zimmerman got the band when Adams was subbed.

Thought Musah was very good for his first time out there. Dest was active. Zimmerman and Robinson seemed a pretty decent pair even if Jamaica is weak up top.

Aaronson is quickly moving into the Clint Dempsey "he just does $hit" position. That's always needed.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3554 on: October 08, 2021, 11:55:19 AM »
Agree with this and thought it was interesting that Zimmerman got the band when Adams was subbed.

Thought Musah was very good for his first time out there. Dest was active. Zimmerman and Robinson seemed a pretty decent pair even if Jamaica is weak up top.

Aaronson is quickly moving into the Clint Dempsey "he just does $hit" position. That's always needed.

The work rate of the majority of our team is unnatural carnal knowledgeing impressive

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3555 on: October 10, 2021, 07:02:32 PM »
Berhalter threw that game away in hopes of getting a W vs Costa Rica.

He'd better pray it pays off.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3556 on: October 11, 2021, 05:04:17 AM »
Incredibly uninspiring performance. Panama maintained the better possession, created the best chances. The only players that really looked good were Zimmerman, Musah, and Turner. This window was a chance to create some separation, now we're chasing again.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #3557 on: October 11, 2021, 08:53:30 AM »
Looks like a big dropoff in talent after the top 12-15. Against Jamaica, 9 starters were legit first choice starters and Zimmermann could arguably be the 10th. Against Panama, only 2-3 starters could be considered top 12-15 players.  And the results showed that difference.

I really wish Berhalter would have tried players like LDLT, Busio, and Hoppe last night.  The tendency to stick with low upside veterans is super frustrating.

At some point, you have to see what the young players can do in WCQ.  The USMNT second team is a bit of a mystery at this point.  There's no clear cut second choice at striker, and the second midfield is completely unsettled.  Figuring out these players could make the difference between qualifying and not qualifying.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #3558 on: October 11, 2021, 09:48:57 AM »
Looks like a big dropoff in talent after the top 12-15. Against Jamaica, 9 starters were legit first choice starters and Zimmermann could arguably be the 10th. Against Panama, only 2-3 starters could be considered top 12-15 players.  And the results showed that difference.

I really wish Berhalter would have tried players like LDLT, Busio, and Hoppe last night.  The tendency to stick with low upside veterans is super frustrating.

At some point, you have to see what the young players can do in WCQ.  The USMNT second team is a bit of a mystery at this point.  There's no clear cut second choice at striker, and the second midfield is completely unsettled.  Figuring out these players could make the difference between qualifying and not qualifying.

A disaster from tip to tail.

Berhalther will always be the anchor in hopes to achieve something. Busio came in as the best American playing in Serie A and he's nailed to the bench? Hoppe is playing for Mallorca and having an impact yet Zardes gets the call? Not starting Pepi? Yanking Musah at half when he was the least of our problems in the midfield?

These are mind boggling decisions. This will be two out of two windows where the team looks uninspired, ill-prepared, and has yet to put together a full and comprehensive performance. We can't afford to let a guy like this learn on the job.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3559 on: October 11, 2021, 10:10:38 AM »
He admitted in postgame all his starters/sub decisions were based on a win vs Costa Rica.

If it works out, it's fine. But frustrating.

I guess I understand starting less talented veterans on the road. But if you're resigned to a draw (at best) or a loss, why not start the potentially more talented/less experienced guys?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3560 on: October 11, 2021, 03:53:25 PM »
I keep telling myself qualification is what matters. Berhalter just has to get us there, then hopefully they replace him.

Though I have to say, knowing that Canada, Mexico, and USA will all be auto-qualifiers as hosts in 2026, what kind of a train-wreck is the next round of CONCACAF qualifying going to look like.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #3561 on: October 12, 2021, 10:15:19 AM »
He admitted in postgame all his starters/sub decisions were based on a win vs Costa Rica.

If it works out, it's fine. But frustrating.

I guess I understand starting less talented veterans on the road. But if you're resigned to a draw (at best) or a loss, why not start the potentially more talented/less experienced guys?

To me, that is balls crazy even if it ends up positive.

Berhalter manages a Federation that failed to qualify the last time around and is treading a similar path yet he's tossing games away in preparation for games that haven't happened as if that's a legitimate way to manage.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3562 on: October 12, 2021, 11:20:05 AM »
To me, that is balls crazy even if it ends up positive.

Berhalter manages a Federation that failed to qualify the last time around and is treading a similar path yet he's tossing games away in preparation for games that haven't happened as if that's a legitimate way to manage.

Exactly.

Why paint yourself into a corner needing a win vs Costa Rica? Start your best against Panama. If you get 3 there, whatever you can get (at home) against CR is icing.

Now, however, there's tons of pressure

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #3563 on: October 13, 2021, 11:19:19 AM »
Exactly.

Why paint yourself into a corner needing a win vs Costa Rica? Start your best against Panama. If you get 3 there, whatever you can get (at home) against CR is icing.

Now, however, there's tons of pressure

With McKennie injured, A. Robinson unable to travel, and the three games in 7 days, I understand focusing on the Costa Rica game.

But then use the Panama game to get a look at Hoppe, Busio, and LDLT. The depth chart in midfield and striker is unsettled after the first choice.  We're nearly through two qualifying windows and we have no idea who subs in for injuries or suspensions.

Acosta, Lletget, and Zardes can play limited roles but they don't have the ability to carry a second team.   We need to find players that can.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3564 on: October 13, 2021, 12:23:51 PM »
With McKennie injured, A. Robinson unable to travel, and the three games in 7 days, I understand focusing on the Costa Rica game.

But then use the Panama game to get a look at Hoppe, Busio, and LDLT. The depth chart in midfield and striker is unsettled after the first choice.  We're nearly through two qualifying windows and we have no idea who subs in for injuries or suspensions.

Acosta, Lletget, and Zardes can play limited roles but they don't have the ability to carry a second team.   We need to find players that can.

Other nations, including the Panama team that just beat the US, are using primarily the same lineup in the qualifiers despite 3 in 7.

The US players should be able to play 3 in 7.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3565 on: October 13, 2021, 06:13:59 PM »
Exhibit A of why you try to win every game

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3566 on: October 13, 2021, 08:00:33 PM »
Exhibit A of why you try to win every game

I stand by this

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3567 on: October 13, 2021, 08:30:43 PM »
6 point window, should have been a 7 point window, I guess I'll take it.  Knowing we still have Mexico twice is worrisome, but with the next window only being 2 games and one of them being Mexico at home, a 6 point window in Nov would surely see us through. Probably too much to ask though.

Edit: Also, Navas would have saved that second goal, no doubt my mind. Take the points and run though.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 08:36:00 PM by Its DJOver »

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #3568 on: October 14, 2021, 10:01:32 AM »
USMNT very fortunate to come away with 3 points. But I'll take it.

Busio and Hoppe both looked good in limited minutes.  Too bad they didn't get more playing time in this window, especially against Panama.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #3569 on: October 14, 2021, 10:43:07 AM »
I stand by this

I'm with you. Think Berhalter had his bacon saved and there's still problems aplenty here with preparation and selection.

6 point window, should have been a 7 point window, I guess I'll take it.  Knowing we still have Mexico twice is worrisome, but with the next window only being 2 games and one of them being Mexico at home, a 6 point window in Nov would surely see us through. Probably too much to ask though.

Edit: Also, Navas would have saved that second goal, no doubt my mind. Take the points and run though.

This is a good point.

Weah was dynamic and, frankly, may be hard to keep him off the field if he stays healthy. But the goal came from a second rate keeper displaying why he's a second rate keeper.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3570 on: October 17, 2021, 12:01:50 PM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jesmu84

• All American

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3573 on: October 19, 2021, 04:05:09 PM »
https://twitter.com/DeadlineDayLive/status/1450518758435528709?t=IWWDmY7wSO3IqCqgXi-L0A&s=19

So do the Euros and Copa America just go to the odd years? If so, how do they have time to qualify? 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3574 on: October 19, 2021, 05:08:13 PM »

So do the Euros and Copa America just go to the odd years? If so, how do they have time to qualify?

I would assume this does away with all confederation competitions.

Just constant cycles of quals and WC

feedback