[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 799837 times)

Golden Avalanche

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #3525 on: September 10, 2021, 10:28:06 AM »
This is just not true.  I know it's a drum you like to bang on, but anything other than three points, and all the headlines are about Gregg, full stop.  The starting XI, the tactics (or lack thereof until the second half), his future, everything.  McKennie would barely be a footnote.  The fact that even with the three points you have people saying that he saved his job in the second half just proves it even more.

After the game, Onyewu, Dempsey, and Davies talked about how the result helped ease pressure on both Berhalter for the tactics and McKennie for the behavior.

So it was obviously focus enough for three former members of the National Team to spend time discussing it.

By the way, McKennie has a big chance tomorrow. Let's hope for the sake of our interests, he does well.

panda

• All American
« Reply #3526 on: September 10, 2021, 04:46:43 PM »
5 points in this window. Didn't play Mexico or Costa Rica and played Canada at home. Played one good half of soccer in three games.

Yikes.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3527 on: September 10, 2021, 06:18:35 PM »
5 points in this window. Didn't play Mexico or Costa Rica and played Canada at home. Played one good half of soccer in three games.

Yikes.

It's fine. Not good, but fine. Swap the Canada and Honduras results and it's exactly what we should expect. 21 should qualify, and if we win at home and draw a few on the road, we'll do that comfortably.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3528 on: September 10, 2021, 08:18:24 PM »
It's fine. Not good, but fine. Swap the Canada and Honduras results and it's exactly what we should expect. 21 should qualify, and if we win at home and draw a few on the road, we'll do that comfortably.

And Canada is probably better than Costa Rica anyway.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

panda

• All American
« Reply #3529 on: September 10, 2021, 08:39:53 PM »

End result point wise is fine, but the overall performance and on the field management leave A LOT to be desired.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 08:42:39 PM by panda »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3530 on: September 10, 2021, 09:37:14 PM »

Do the who, how and where matter? Or is it purely results?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3531 on: September 10, 2021, 09:49:13 PM »
Do the who, how and where matter? Or is it purely results?

Points/results are all that matter but I think it’s helpful when looking at the form of a squad and the future.  If you’re not getting 3 points you should, but it’s offset by a stealing 3 where you’d normally get only expect 1, that’s a great.  But is it sustainable?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3532 on: September 10, 2021, 10:10:24 PM »
Points/results are all that matter but I think it’s helpful when looking at the form of a squad and the future.  If you’re not getting 3 points you should, but it’s offset by a stealing 3 where you’d normally get only expect 1, that’s a great.  But is it sustainable?

True.

What matters more, do you think, strength of opponent or home v away?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3533 on: September 11, 2021, 05:35:02 AM »

I agree with this. Honestly, my general expectation of those three matches would be to draw El Salvador, beat Canada, and Honduras would either be a loss or draw. So if I'm expecting 4.5 points and we get 5, that's okay.

My expectations are to win all our home games and get at least 3-4 points on the road. 24 points should be comfortably in the automatic places.

I know there's an idea that we should run roughshod over CONCACAF, but that's just not realistic. I look at it more in terms of points per match. 1.5 ppm (21 total in the Octagonal) never failed to qualify from the Hex and only once required a playoff. 1.7 ppm (24 total) never failed to automatically qualify from the Hex. 2 ppm (28 total) only once failed to top the group, which was when USA finished second on GD with 22 in 2006.

So 21 points I'm okay with. 24 I'm really happy. 28 and we should be dancing in the streets. This cycle isn't about anything other than qualifying. It's 1990 all over again.

• All American
« Reply #3534 on: September 11, 2021, 07:51:49 AM »
And in reality, with the expansion of the WC to 48 teams with 6 from CONCACAF, this is probably the last tournament that the US is going to face any sort of competition in qualifying.  Just getting in is fine.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3535 on: September 11, 2021, 08:00:29 AM »
And in reality, with the expansion of the WC to 48 teams with 6 from CONCACAF, this is probably the last tournament that the US is going to face any sort of competition in qualifying.  Just getting in is fine.

Yup. And unless we finish in the FIFA top-7, any group we are in will likely be one of the Groups of Death simply because of our presence. It will have a seeded team, a European team, and we will be one of the strongest teams in our pot. Whoever else ends up there won't change a likely guarantee of at least three good sides. So just get in and let the rest sort itself out.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3536 on: September 11, 2021, 08:54:24 AM »
That was not a fun game.

#spurs

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3537 on: September 12, 2021, 02:36:54 PM »
Anyone know why MU soccer's fallen to hell the past two games? Is there an injury or something?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #3538 on: September 26, 2021, 06:50:36 PM »
Number of fans of a certain club very quiet today. Why so?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3539 on: September 26, 2021, 08:42:13 PM »
Number of fans of a certain club very quiet today. Why so?

Not much to talk about.  Life is suffering, eat at Arby's.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3540 on: September 27, 2021, 10:50:06 AM »
Lot of season left. Lot of time to fix your problems however big they may be.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3541 on: September 28, 2021, 04:31:59 PM »
Sheriff take down Real Madrid at the Bernabau.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3542 on: September 28, 2021, 05:31:41 PM »
Lot of season left. Lot of time to fix your problems however big they may be.

I don't know if Spurs have the roster or management to fix this

• All American
« Reply #3543 on: September 28, 2021, 06:53:38 PM »
Sheriff take down Real Madrid at the Bernabau.

And sit on top of their group with six points.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3544 on: September 28, 2021, 07:41:54 PM »
I don't know if Spurs have the roster or management to fix this

If only there was a way that they could have generated 100,000,000 to reinvest in the club/squad.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3545 on: September 29, 2021, 06:18:29 PM »
Not much to talk about.  Life is suffering, eat at Arby's.

I forgot to tell you to suck it.

Probably because I didn't recognize the team on the pitch Sunday as Arsenal.

jesmu84

• All American

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3547 on: October 03, 2021, 03:23:17 PM »
City Liverpool has really become the most entertaining matchup in the world.  That second half might have been the most exciting 45 minutes that has ever occurred in the Prem in October, it had everything.  Splitting the points was probably the fair result, but it certainly looked like Milner should have seen red, would have changed the game completely.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3548 on: October 03, 2021, 05:58:27 PM »
City Liverpool has really become the most entertaining matchup in the world.  That second half might have been the most exciting 45 minutes that has ever occurred in the Prem in October, it had everything.  Splitting the points was probably the fair result, but it certainly looked like Milner should have seen red, would have changed the game completely.

I remember like 3 years ago, there were a couple City-LFC affairs that were big in the lead up, but ended up being drags, but lately they have all been absolute must watch events.  Salah was absolutely sublime this afternoon.  He's got a legit argument for being in the convo for best player in the world based on current form

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3549 on: October 07, 2021, 08:45:01 PM »
Pepi le-pow.

Referee kept Jamaica in the game.   But never really a doubt.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback