collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 801385 times)

21Jumpstreet

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #3325 on: May 07, 2021, 12:44:09 PM »
Chelsea and Man City make the Champions League Final in Istanbul.

Today, the UK instituted a travel ban to Turkey.

Read there is a push to move the game to England. Cheeky.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3326 on: May 07, 2021, 01:42:45 PM »
Read there is a push to move the game to England. Cheeky.

Villa Park.  Or Portugal.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3327 on: May 16, 2021, 07:27:42 AM »
Good for Leicester.  Their story continues to be amazing.  Best run club in the world?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3328 on: May 26, 2021, 05:10:17 PM »
What a Europa League Final. 11-10 in kicks.  Honestly how a shootout should be, there's no excuse for the number of poor pens amongst pros out there.  Emery remains perfect in the Europa League, you can take the manager out of Sevilla, but you can't take the Sevilla out of the manager.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #3329 on: May 26, 2021, 06:34:23 PM »
What a Europa League Final. 11-10 in kicks.  Honestly how a shootout should be, there's no excuse for the number of poor pens amongst pros out there.  Emery remains perfect in the Europa League, you can take the manager out of Sevilla, but you can't take the Sevilla out of the manager.

What a final indeed. Pure joy for the boys from Villarreal.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #3330 on: May 27, 2021, 11:57:26 PM »
Former Marquette Women’s Soccer Assistant Coach Hideki Nakada (2009-2012), is the new Women’s Soccer Head Coach at Utah.

After leaving Marquette, (NCAA Tourney every year he was at Marquette) he spent one season at Oregon as an assistant. He then spent the past seven seasons as an assistant at Stanford. (last 3 as Associate ahead Coach) During that time Stanford won 2 National Titles, reached 4 Final Fours, and won 5 Pac 12 Titles.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3331 on: June 04, 2021, 10:57:44 AM »
Good to see the USMNT in a competitive match again. Bright start despite no first half goal, but lackluster in the second until the Siebatcheu goal. Glad to see the win and appearance in the final.

At times, I watch this team and get excited about the idea of watching Pulisic, Reyna, McKinnie, Adams, and the rest grow toward 2026. There's some real Golden Generation potential. My biggest worry is finding a defensive anchor. John Brooks might be the guy, he has that Oguchi Onyewu intimidator mold, but will he be around long term?

One thing is for sure, they need to be better to beat Mexico. Fine enough performance to get there, but not close to the peak I hope to see.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3332 on: June 04, 2021, 11:12:59 AM »
Good to see the USMNT in a competitive match again. Bright start despite no first half goal, but lackluster in the second until the Siebatcheu goal. Glad to see the win and appearance in the final.

At times, I watch this team and get excited about the idea of watching Pulisic, Reyna, McKinnie, Adams, and the rest grow toward 2026. There's some real Golden Generation potential. My biggest worry is finding a defensive anchor. John Brooks might be the guy, he has that Oguchi Onyewu intimidator mold, but will he be around long term?

One thing is for sure, they need to be better to beat Mexico. Fine enough performance to get there, but not close to the peak I hope to see.

Whats even more exciting to me is how many super talented names are even still in the wings and not in the lineup.  De La Fuente, Daryl Dike, Llanez, Gionacchi, etc...

As for the defense, I keep forgetting how relatively young Brooks still is.  He's just turned 28. He's got 2022 and honestly probably 2026 in him.  He's good.  I think the other promising name is Chris Richards.  I can see those 2 being the first choices in the center come 2022.  It is interesting that the US has a bunch of promising RB/LB but not a ton in the center.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3333 on: June 04, 2021, 12:01:55 PM »
There have been plenty of promising CBs, none of them have developed though.  Brooks is seen as the cream of the crop, but there was a time when Miazga, Palmer-Brown, Carter-Vickers were all seen as super promising.  Those three are 25, 24, and 23 now; you've got to be getting first team minutes at a decent club by that age, and it just hasn't happened. Richards is still young, and seems to be in Bayern's long-term plans, but the fact that Ream was even in the squad last night should tell you all you need to know.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #3334 on: June 04, 2021, 12:04:38 PM »
Long is solid when healthy.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3335 on: June 04, 2021, 04:16:08 PM »
There have been plenty of promising CBs, none of them have developed though.  Brooks is seen as the cream of the crop, but there was a time when Miazga, Palmer-Brown, Carter-Vickers were all seen as super promising.  Those three are 25, 24, and 23 now; you've got to be getting first team minutes at a decent club by that age, and it just hasn't happened. Richards is still young, and seems to be in Bayern's long-term plans, but the fact that Ream was even in the squad last night should tell you all you need to know.

He's been a bit better, but I still feel like GREGGGG has an inherent bias from the USMNT structure.  Which manifests itself in these safety blanket players they "know" like Ream (who ive just come to grips with the fact that he will be getting selections till he retires) or Zardes.  Im also puzzled as to why Yueill is racking up caps, much less starting.  I get Lletget, he's versatile and experienced by this point.  But Yueill was odd to me 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3336 on: June 04, 2021, 09:44:45 PM »
He's been a bit better, but I still feel like GREGGGG has an inherent bias from the USMNT structure.  Which manifests itself in these safety blanket players they "know" like Ream (who ive just come to grips with the fact that he will be getting selections till he retires) or Zardes.  Im also puzzled as to why Yueill is racking up caps, much less starting.  I get Lletget, he's versatile and experienced by this point.  But Yueill was odd to me

Yueill is great when he's aggressive and spraying the ball across the field, trying to make the decisive pass into the final 1/3. But, since he wasn't doing that at all last night, he's useless.

He's Michael Bradley without the engine or defensive prowess
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 09:46:29 PM by jesmu84 »

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #3337 on: June 06, 2021, 07:44:45 PM »
So, is tonight a big deal? Do we care at all? I find myself somewhere in the middle. 5-10 years from now I'm sure I'll care more about Nations League but I just can't seem to get revved up for it.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3338 on: June 06, 2021, 08:34:53 PM »
So, is tonight a big deal? Do we care at all? I find myself somewhere in the middle. 5-10 years from now I'm sure I'll care more about Nations League but I just can't seem to get revved up for it.

Matchups with Mexico are always a big deal, especially with silverware on the line.  Beating a huge rival is an awesome barometer for a young squad

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3339 on: June 06, 2021, 08:35:55 PM »

It’s a made for TV game that’s better than a friendly. Everyone cares more about the Gold Cup and WC qualifiers.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3340 on: June 06, 2021, 09:32:11 PM »
That opening sequence was disastrous. Like 3 bad giveaways in a few seconds, including the one that gave up the goal. Glad they got back in it, but not the most encouraging half and good god is our back line questionable (at best).
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3341 on: June 06, 2021, 10:15:00 PM »
Tim Ream is AWFUL.  He’s so damn slow.  He’s been torched time and time again.  What a joke that he’s out there

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3342 on: June 06, 2021, 11:29:28 PM »
WHAT...A...MATCH.  This team has some cajones.  Horrific officiating, both ways, but my god.  This was fun as hell.

Also, never change scumbag Mexican fans, never change. Stopping the match with homophobic chants, then throwing full and heavy projectiles into the celebrating Americans.  Hopefully Reyna is alright, but they hit their own player in the head with a full cup trying to hurt Americans in the last stoppage.  Absurd

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3343 on: June 06, 2021, 11:31:29 PM »
I certainly still have complaints because we a still a very flawed team, but it is impossible not to enjoy a match like that.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3344 on: June 06, 2021, 11:32:41 PM »
L Tri

Concacaf gonna concacaf.

Weston McKennie should be the captain until further notice.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3345 on: June 06, 2021, 11:37:06 PM »
Greg's starting lineup was only slightly less confusing than his subs.

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #3346 on: June 07, 2021, 07:53:52 AM »
That was a great match.  Loved the way the US fought for eachother and looked like a team out there.  Hopefully this gives them confidence moving forward.

The give aways from the back need to stop though that was awful.  any team that presses up on us we crap our pants

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #3347 on: June 07, 2021, 10:12:17 AM »
I'll admit I was far more into it than I expected. Fun match.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #3348 on: June 07, 2021, 11:03:22 AM »
I'll admit I was far more into it than I expected. Fun match.

Between the awful referee and Mexican shenanigans, on the pitch and in the stands, I got sucked into it.

If what happened last night with the projectiles hitting players happened at an NBA game, we'd hear about it for weeks. It's shameful that CONCACAF continues to turn a blind eye to it.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3349 on: June 07, 2021, 11:37:47 AM »
Between the awful referee and Mexican shenanigans, on the pitch and in the stands, I got sucked into it.

If what happened last night with the projectiles hitting players happened at an NBA game, we'd hear about it for weeks. It's shameful that CONCACAF continues to turn a blind eye to it.

We did. Westbrook/popcorn.

I anticipate the shenanigans from last night's game will be top discussion on ESPN for the next couple weeks.

feedback