[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 800748 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #3200 on: January 09, 2021, 09:37:21 AM »
Sixth tier Chorley FC (Fly Magpies Fly) is in to the 4th round of the FA Cup for the first time with a 2-0 win over shorthanded Derby County in Lancashire. Their thoughts:

https://twitter.com/chorleyfc/status/1347911844464381952?s=19

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #3201 on: January 09, 2021, 10:05:56 AM »
19 year old American Matthew Hoppe has become the third American with a hat trick in one of Europe's Top 5 leagues.

He's done it in clinical fashion in less than twenty minutes apart.

Schalke over Hoffenheim, ending 30 match Bundesliga winless streak.

https://twitter.com/si_soccer/status/1347935601350291458?s=19

Elite finisher for Barcelona SW Academy in AZ, and Schalke.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 10:12:18 AM by shoothoops »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3202 on: January 09, 2021, 06:18:08 PM »
19 year old American Matthew Hoppe has become the third American with a hat trick in one of Europe's Top 5 leagues.

Those were some nice, composed finishes. Quite the way to open his account.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3203 on: January 10, 2021, 12:04:01 PM »

The US to Bundesliga pipeline continues.  Let’s hope it continues to be more Pulisic/Richards/Adams/McKinnie and less Johannsen.

I remembered what a thrill it was to see Dempsey and McBride playing and scoring for Fulham. Seeing an American in a top league was so novel and exciting, now not only are they peppered across the top leagues, they are contributing meaningfully and for some of the titans of European soccer. Amazing

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #3204 on: January 10, 2021, 09:03:50 PM »
MLS Academies are not just producing good players. They are producing good coaches too.

Andrew Sparks (NY Red Bulls) getting praise here as Southampton's GK Coach.

https://twitter.com/GKUnion/status/1346533509515636737?s=19

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #3205 on: January 13, 2021, 04:18:12 PM »
Thrilled with Fulham's progression from matchday one through today. I was (and still remain) a bit skeptical of Parker's tactics but his team clearly loves him and fights hard for 90 minutes every game. Hopefully the rough start prior to the infusion of PL level talent didn't doom them and they are able to scrape their way out of the bottom three.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 04:30:39 PM by BM1090 »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3206 on: January 13, 2021, 04:29:16 PM »
Second division side Holstein Kiel just eliminated defending German and European champ Bayern in the German Cup.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3207 on: January 13, 2021, 04:31:11 PM »
Extremely happy with Fulham's progression from matchday one through today. I was (and still remain) a bit skeptical of Parker's tactics but his team clearly loves him and fights hard for 90 minutes every game. Hopefully the rough start prior to the infusion of PL level talent didn't doom them and they are able to scrape their way out of the bottom three.

Plus they have Aina on the squad.  4ever's favorite player.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3208 on: January 13, 2021, 04:42:24 PM »
Thrilled with Fulham's progression from matchday one through today. I was (and still remain) a bit skeptical of Parker's tactics but his team clearly loves him and fights hard for 90 minutes every game. Hopefully the rough start prior to the infusion of PL level talent didn't doom them and they are able to scrape their way out of the bottom three.

They have some very good players on loan.  Arieola was backstopping PSG just 2 years ago and was good enough to spell Navas at Real last season, he's still very much legit.  They are tough and scrappy and it works.  No clue WTF Tottenham was doing today.  Full strength squad, yet they nicked the first goal and were content to just sit back and protect that...at home...against an inferior squad.  Just bizarre, full marks to Fulham, they just kept coming and it felt inevitable.

Second division side Holstein Kiel just eliminated defending German and European champ Bayern in the German Cup.

Same idea here.  Watched a good portion of the second half, Bayern got a second fairly early in the second half and figured that was enough...cause they are Bayern.  It felt like every attack was either and attempted split of 2 defenders unnecessarily, or putzing around.   I lost track of the number of times Gnabry, or Tolisso, or Musiala went darting into the box, and then just pulled it out thinking they could dump it off to someone at the edge of the 18.  None of the relentless Bayern pressure or flashes across goal that they finish so clinically. 

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3209 on: January 13, 2021, 05:26:28 PM »
Gotta say, would have thought Poch getting his first trophy would feel like a bigger deal.  Not trying to diminish his accomplishments, I just feel...unsatisfied.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3210 on: January 13, 2021, 05:30:07 PM »
Gotta say, would have thought Poch getting his first trophy would feel like a bigger deal.  Not trying to diminish his accomplishments, I just feel...unsatisfied.

Is this sarcastic? It’s the Super Cup, who cares? PSG has like 10. Nobody is crying tears of joy and relief from taking down the Community Shield

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3211 on: January 13, 2021, 05:50:00 PM »
Is this sarcastic? It’s the Super Cup, who cares? PSG has like 10. Nobody is crying tears of joy and relief from taking down the Community Shield

I would think Poch cares.  When there has been such commentary about how he has come so close to winning these major trophies, losing in the League Cup Final, having to deal with a second place finish in what will always be known as Leicester's year, losing in the Champions League Final, etc. Taking the clubs that can't "buy trophies" and being extremely competitive with them.  Then, 9 days after taking the job at one of the biggest clubs in the world, getting a trophy in your third game as manager just feels a little like a cop out way to get that monkey off your back. 

Imagine if MU makes the touney and Wojo's first tourney win comes from the other team forfeiting due to Covid.  It should feel like a big deal, we've been waiting almost a decade for it, but under circumstances like that, it just wouldn't feel as special as it should.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3212 on: January 13, 2021, 06:03:39 PM »
I guess, but again, I don’t even view a win like this as much of a trophy. Maybe if they win Coupe de France again. Again, it’s still something they have a million of, running roughshod over the same lesser clubs they do all Ligue 1 season, but at least there is some progression there, not just a largely meaningless one off match.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3213 on: January 13, 2021, 06:13:42 PM »
It's still his first.  There was a story about Louie Barry accidently swapping shirts with Fabinho after their FA Cup match, and after being reminded that it was his debut he had to go chasing after him to get it back.  Pep will often talk about his favorite trophy being the first one he won with Barca B, just because it was his first.

You see it in other sports too, first MLB hit, ball always gets returned to the player, same for NHL goal scorers keeping their first puck. 

Getting your first with a team you've been with less than 2 weeks, having essentially no say in the overall build of the team, and not even really starting to implement your coaching style yet, just feels a bit hollow.  It was just an observation, nothing more really.

• All American
« Reply #3214 on: January 13, 2021, 06:53:22 PM »
It says more about the state of French soccer than it does Poch.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #3215 on: January 13, 2021, 07:11:45 PM »
Big day in Women's Soccer.

NWSL draft is tonight. Trinity Rodman, son of Dennis, was the 2nd overall pick. She played her Freshman season at Washington State. Very speedy, elite finisher, lots of youth National Team experience. She's 18.

Soon to be Stanford graduate, midfielder Catarina "Cat" Marcario, was declared eligible by FIFA to play for the U.S. Women's National Team. Superstar midfielder from San Diego (Surf) moved to the U.S. at 12 from Brazil in search of the American Dream with her family. She became a U.S. citizen this past October.

Marcario is a two time Missouri Athletic Club/Hermann Trophy winner as a midfielder at Stanford. And she was a two time National Champion. She is one of the best Women's college players in recent memory. She decided to forgo her final season at Stanford, and decided to sign with European Champion, Olympique Lyonnais.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #3216 on: January 14, 2021, 09:57:17 AM »

I think the Covid induced mid week timing has an effect on feelings.

PSG-Marseille is a great rivalry. Payet and Neymar detest each other. These matches are nasty enough that winning does mean something and feels good with a trophy to boot.

French soccer is actually in rude health because Lyon and Lille are not going away. Both are built to win a title. If PSG is to win another Ligue Une then that will be the time it feels like a big deal for that particular coach winning a trophy.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3217 on: January 14, 2021, 10:32:40 AM »
This season maybe, but long term it's still most definitely a one team league.  Just look at that 2016 Monaco title winning squad and how they were gutted.  Mbappe, Fabinho, Bernardo Silva, Bakayoko, Mendy, and Thomas Lemar all gone to "big money" clubs.  You've already started to see it with Moussa Dembele moving to Athletico Madrid literally yesterday.  Memphis Depay to Barca rumors heat up every day.   Similar story with Houssem Aouar being linked with various clubs in the prem.  Someone might be able to put together a legit challenge every few years, but for the most part, its the most boring of the "big 5" leagues, because you know exactly what going to happen 90% of the time.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3218 on: January 17, 2021, 11:27:52 AM »
Sunday “prime time” morning matchup between two of the top 3 team in the PL, two of the most historic clubs in all of English football...and NBC puts it on Peacock. Absolute twats.  Wouldn’t be shocked to see all PL games solely on Peacock by next season...as ESPN does an excellent job with Serie A and Bundesliga coverage and streaming

• All American
« Reply #3219 on: January 17, 2021, 12:14:34 PM »
Sunday “prime time” morning matchup between two of the top 3 team in the PL, two of the most historic clubs in all of English football...and NBC puts it on Peacock. Absolute twats.  Wouldn’t be shocked to see all PL games solely on Peacock by next season...as ESPN does an excellent job with Serie A and Bundesliga coverage and streaming

Well that would be the end of my watching PL soccer on Saturdays and Sundays.  I enjoy it but can find other things to do in its place.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3220 on: January 17, 2021, 12:56:00 PM »
Well that would be the end of my watching PL soccer on Saturdays and Sundays.  I enjoy it but can find other things to do in its place.

I’d likely watch far less random PL matches, which would be a real shame. I’d still watch every Liverpool (streaming it online if I had to like today) but less Villa-Brighton or Sheffield United-Everton kinds of matches, which sucks.

Meanwhile, I watched parts of Ajax-Feyenoord, Atalanta-Genoa, and two different Bundesliga matches cause they were right in the ESPN app on my Apple TV, not even ESPN+.  Suck eggs NBC

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3221 on: January 17, 2021, 04:57:16 PM »
Ya didn't miss much. Pretty boring game IMO. Hopefully we get a better one in the matchup next weekend.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3222 on: January 17, 2021, 06:18:51 PM »
Ya didn't miss much. Pretty boring game IMO. Hopefully we get a better one in the matchup next weekend.

I still watched it, actually got the Sky Sports stream with Martin Tyler and Carra, which was nice, but year, snoozer of a match. Poorly officiated, poor finishing by Liverpool, not much of note except Allison having a couple unreal saves

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #3223 on: January 18, 2021, 10:26:59 AM »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #3224 on: January 20, 2021, 01:10:47 PM »
Matthew Hoppe now has 5 goals in his last 3 Bundesliga games. He is the first American to score in three straight Bundesliga games since....Clint Mathis 2004. Eric Wynalda also did it in 1992.

https://twitter.com/ESPNFC/status/1351967472329453570?s=19

feedback