collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 800809 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #3175 on: December 08, 2020, 11:52:14 AM »
Chelsea's net spend is an interesting hill to die upon.

You're right.  The whole time, you were right.  Way to be.

You, and a few others were pedantic (and incorrect) about one small aspect of the many different things I said when discussing Mourinho and Tottenham. I mentioned it once. Then I responded to the repeated posts that were directed at me about it. Few of the same people were interested in discussing the value of Net Spending, or any of the many other aspects of the Mourinho/Tottenham topic.

All of you took one small aspect of a topic and elevated its importance to make it the only thing...and, were wrong about it.  That’s on you, not me.

It's okay to be wrong, and it's okay to not know something. (I didn't know where MU's latest recruiting target was committing, and was unsure about the UCLA game's broadcast etc...in just the past 24 hours) But if you are going to intentionally misrepresent someone else, despite evidence to the contrary, that's different.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 12:08:56 PM by shoothoops »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3176 on: December 08, 2020, 12:09:47 PM »
You, and a few others were pedantic (and incorrect) about one small aspect of the many different things I said when discussing Mourinho and Tottenham. I mentioned it once. Then I responded to the repeated posts that were directed at me about it. Few of the same people were interested in discussing the value of Net Spending, or any of the many other aspects of the Mourinho/Tottenham topic.

All of you took one small aspect of a topic and elevated its importance to make it the only thing...and, were wrong about it.  That’s on you, not me.

It's okay to be wrong, and it's okay to not know something. (I didn't know where MU's latest recruiting target was committing, and was unsure about the UCLA game's broadcast etc...in just the past 24 hours) But if you are going to intentionally misrepresent someone else, despite evidence to the contrary, that's different.

It's on us cause you said "spend" and not "net spend"?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3177 on: December 08, 2020, 12:11:03 PM »

Shootblanks is right.

He's my new hero.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #3178 on: December 08, 2020, 12:36:37 PM »

Thanks for illustrating my point above, right on time.👍

I said several times in various follow up posts that I was referencing Net Spending, Buying and Selling etc...but you and a few others weren't interested in any of that. You also weren't interested in the topic itself. Even discussing the merits and value of net spending vs other spending would have been more on topic with regards to Mourinho/Spurs.

I knew when I posted, that Tottenham had a Net Spending similar to Chelsea during the very specific time frame I mentioned. Otherwise, I wouldn't have posted it. It seems rather specific, the two teams chosen in the example, in a very specific time frame. You even asked for the source and I gave it. And like a Christmas Miracle, like Magic, it just so happens to be correct. Perhaps I could play the lottery successfully with all of that luck.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 01:00:43 PM by shoothoops »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #3179 on: December 08, 2020, 12:44:54 PM »
Shootblanks is right.

He's my new hero.

When running out of valid points to make, let's try to disparage someone's name or username. When it fails, and one still doesn't have a valid point to make, let's repeat it in case the person missed it. And when all else fails, let's sarcastically praise the person.

I'm happy to discuss anything of soccer value with regard to Mourinho and Tottenham, or something else soccer related.

Or

Seattle's exciting 3 goal come back in the final 20 minutes, sparked by Will Bruin etc...to advance to the finals over Minnesota.

Or

Utah Royals disbanding in the NWSL and a new Kansas City Women's team taking their place.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 12:55:47 PM by shoothoops »

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3180 on: December 08, 2020, 12:55:39 PM »
Zack Steffen appears to be in line to get his first Champions League appearance tomorrow as City has already won their group.  Just another name on the ever growing list. 

Given their lackluster start in the league as well, would Zidane survive getting knocked out in the group stages of the Champions League tomorrow?  A few managers potentially coaching for their jobs this week.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 12:57:12 PM by Its DJOver »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3181 on: December 08, 2020, 01:17:21 PM »
When running out of valid points to make, let's try to disparage someone's name or username. When it fails, and one still doesn't have a valid point to make, let's repeat it in case the person missed it. And when all else fails, let's sarcastically praise the person.

I'm happy to discuss anything of soccer value with regard to Mourinho and Tottenham, or something else soccer related.

Or

Seattle's exciting 3 goal come back in the final 20 minutes, sparked by Will Bruin etc...to advance to the finals over Minnesota.

Or

Utah Royals disbanding in the NWSL and a new Kansas City Women's team taking their place.

What's a chicos, aina?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #3182 on: December 08, 2020, 02:34:24 PM »

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3183 on: December 08, 2020, 02:39:32 PM »
PSG v Istanbul Basaksehir delayed because of reported racial abuse from an official towards a Basaksehir assistant coach.  Crazy if true, and props for both teams for uniting.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3184 on: December 08, 2020, 02:58:16 PM »
PSG v Istanbul Basaksehir delayed because of reported racial abuse from an official towards a Basaksehir assistant coach.  Crazy if true, and props for both teams for uniting.

Word is that the Romanian fourth official sent off a black assistant coach, and when the main official walked over to ask who was sent off, he used the word "negru," which is Romanian for "black."  So it is part identifying someone by their color and part using a word that doesn't sound great.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3185 on: December 08, 2020, 03:14:31 PM »
Glad to see both teams willing to walk off, especially in a CL match, due to real or perceived racism.   Teams had concerns about risking forfeit in the past.

But, it looks to be a different language thing than a truly racist statement.  Inappropriate to call a coach "that black guy" or "negru" in Romanian, especially for an official.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3186 on: December 08, 2020, 06:37:10 PM »
Glad to see both teams willing to walk off, especially in a CL match, due to real or perceived racism.   Teams had concerns about risking forfeit in the past.

But, it looks to be a different language thing than a truly racist statement.  Inappropriate to call a coach "that black guy" or "negru" in Romanian, especially for an official.

Yep. And that was Demba Ba’s strongly and effectively worded argument. He wouldn’t have called another assistant coach “that white guy” so why did he need to minimize Webo like that. I don’t think it was out and out racist, like many of the slurs and incidents in European soccer recently have been, but it was at the very minimum racially insensitive and very unnecessary. Especially for a bleeping official.

Good on Neymar and Mbappe for immediately and unflinchingly supporting Basaksehir. Neymar gets plenty of criticism for diva behavior, some of which certainly is merited, but he’s experienced vast amounts of racial abuse over his career and has been a vocal voice in calling it out, not standing for it or letting it be swept under the rug, and the changes that need to be done.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 06:39:41 PM by JWags85 »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3187 on: December 10, 2020, 05:01:47 PM »
Guess the MLS didn't so as well avoiding covid as they told everyone...

https://twitter.com/samstejskal/status/1337142393171218432?s=19

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #3188 on: December 15, 2020, 09:19:01 AM »
CONCACAF Champions League is starting back up tonight and NYCFC will be starting MU alum Luis Barraza in net as Sean Johnson has been deemed a COVID close-contact.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3189 on: December 17, 2020, 01:01:49 PM »
https://twitter.com/si_soccer/status/1339298276709953537

Somewhat gifted to him, but still a nice finish.  Really hope he can settle in after dealing with all the injury setbacks he's had recently.  Still only 20, and I would think he's more than capable of grabbing a spot for the '22 WC.

I'm also seeing rumors that Juve are going to make McKennie's loan permanent, with a deal around 23 mil.  Not overly surprising given his age and current level of production.  He seems to be getting on well with Pirlo too.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3190 on: December 17, 2020, 01:22:11 PM »
https://twitter.com/si_soccer/status/1339298276709953537

Somewhat gifted to him, but still a nice finish.  Really hope he can settle in after dealing with all the injury setbacks he's had recently.  Still only 20, and I would think he's more than capable of grabbing a spot for the '22 WC.

I'm also seeing rumors that Juve are going to make McKennie's loan permanent, with a deal around 23 mil.  Not overly surprising given his age and current level of production.  He seems to be getting on well with Pirlo too.

If you want yet another reason to be excited about the future of the USMNT, it’s that Weah kind of fell off the forefront of most USMNT’s minds. It’s been injury in ashes instead of lack of form, which, provided he’s not made of glass, is a better situation at this age. Not the scenario where he’s over his head at a jump up. I still think he’s a no brainer 2022 selection. He’s an absurd talent and his scoring rate isn’t bad at all for how inconsistent his playing time has been.

As for McKinnie, he’s already exceeded my expectations. Regular playing time, starting and scoring in CL matches? Can’t ask for much more. 

Still lacking any faith in GREGGGGG, but can’t be more bullish on the talent on the squad.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3191 on: December 17, 2020, 01:31:58 PM »
Still lacking any faith in GREGGGGG, but can’t be more bullish on the talent on the squad.

IMO 2022 is all about getting experience for the core.  Hopefully advance from the group, and who knows what happens in the KO round.  Almost don't want to go too far bc then they'll extend Gregg.

My eye has always been on 2026.  We're hosting, and the list of names that will be in their prime is quite staggering.  Next coaching hire will probably be the most important one in USSF history, and given that talent, hopefully we'll be able to go big game hunting.

Edit: Couldn't help myself.  In 2026, the USMNT could feature:

Christian Pulisic-27
Gio Reyna-23
Tim Weah-26
Chris Richards-26
Weston McKennie-27
Tyler Adams-27
Josh Sargent-26
Zach Steffen-31 (totally fine for a keeper)
Sergino Dest-25
Antonee Robinson-28
Ulysses Llanez-25
Konrad de le Fuente-25
Yunus Musah (assuming we can keep him)-24

I'm sure I'm missing some, and new kids we've never heard of yet will pop onto the radar, but that's about 1 CB short of a legit squad in their prime.  Playing on home soil, we could be very dangerous.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 01:50:53 PM by Its DJOver »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3192 on: December 17, 2020, 02:24:33 PM »
IMO 2022 is all about getting experience for the core.  Hopefully advance from the group, and who knows what happens in the KO round.  Almost don't want to go too far bc then they'll extend Gregg.

My eye has always been on 2026.  We're hosting, and the list of names that will be in their prime is quite staggering.  Next coaching hire will probably be the most important one in USSF history, and given that talent, hopefully we'll be able to go big game hunting.

Edit: Couldn't help myself.  In 2026, the USMNT could feature:

Christian Pulisic-27
Gio Reyna-23
Tim Weah-26
Chris Richards-26
Weston McKennie-27
Tyler Adams-27
Josh Sargent-26
Zach Steffen-31 (totally fine for a keeper)
Sergino Dest-25
Antonee Robinson-28
Ulysses Llanez-25
Konrad de le Fuente-25
Yunus Musah (assuming we can keep him)-24

I'm sure I'm missing some, and new kids we've never heard of yet will pop onto the radar, but that's about 1 CB short of a legit squad in their prime.  Playing on home soil, we could be very dangerous.

Candidates for 2026?

#1 is probably Marsch, right?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3193 on: December 17, 2020, 02:45:38 PM »
Candidates for 2026?

#1 is probably Marsch, right?

At least right now yes.  Without giving too much away, I know someone that is close with the Marsch family, and he suggested that Jesse doesn't really have any interest in the job, at least right now.  Now this info is second or third hand, and about 5 months old, so take it fwiw, but apparently he isn't thrilled at the way the USSF is run, and I can't really blame him.  Obviously subject to change in the coming years, and I'm sure there will be other names thrown about, and he will still at least get a call post '22 WC, but I know he got a call pre Gregg, and pretty much said "thanks, but no thanks".

• All American
« Reply #3194 on: December 17, 2020, 02:47:27 PM »
At least right now yes.  Without giving too much away, I know someone that is close with the Marsch family, and he suggested that Jesse doesn't really have any interest in the job, at least right now.  Now this info is second or third hand, and about 5 months old, so take it fwiw, but apparently he isn't thrilled at the way the USSF is run, and I can't really blame him.  Obviously subject to change in the coming years, and I'm sure there will be other names thrown about, and he will still at least get a call post '22 WC, but I know he got a call pre Gregg, and pretty much said "thanks, but no thanks".

Marsch's career path is looking pretty darn fine right now.  Why f*ck that up by coaching the USMNT?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #3195 on: December 17, 2020, 02:51:14 PM »

Marsch's career path is looking pretty darn fine right now.  Why f*ck that up by coaching the USMNT?

Exactly.  As much as I'd love him to be the manager, I can't blame him for wanting to keep his distance.  I just don't want another Arena clone, which is exactly what Gregg is.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3196 on: December 17, 2020, 02:52:07 PM »

Glory of leading usmnt to a world cup win?

• All American
« Reply #3197 on: December 17, 2020, 02:57:29 PM »
Glory of leading usmnt to a world cup win?

Which isn't very likely, and in the meantime he'd have to deal with the headache of working with the USSF instead of in one of Europe's top 4 leagues.

You do realize the top managers in the world aren't working for national teams right?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #3198 on: December 17, 2020, 04:07:14 PM »
As much as I'd love to have a Highbury Pub patron in charge of the national side, he should absolutely stay in Europe and keep moving up there.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3199 on: December 17, 2020, 04:21:49 PM »

Which isn't very likely, and in the meantime he'd have to deal with the headache of working with the USSF instead of in one of Europe's top 4 leagues.

You do realize the top managers in the world aren't working for national teams right?

National team gigs are often highly paid sabbaticals for big name managers. Less daily grind, kind of a win win. If you’re in a down stretch, having a nice WC or big tourney with a country can reignite your prestige or interest from clubs.  But nobody is really going to rate you lower as a manager due to some struggles with a national team.  But at the same time, if you haven’t a rising star profile, like Marsch, or plenty of demand from top 4 league clubs, you don’t waste your time.

Look at the top national teams.

Belgium- Martinez probably had the brightest career before but he was sacked by Everton and likely wasn’t getting a top EPL job

France- Deschamps was sacked from Marseille and coaching a powerhouse national team for $5MM a year is better than bouncing around Ligue 1.

England- I mean, Garett Southgate had 1 managerial gig at Middlesbrough and was ok, now he’s leading the 3 Lions

Brazil- One of the most powerful national teams in history has a manager, Tite, who has never coached outside of Brazil, save for time in the UAE league.

And on and on.  The US gig could be intriguing for many reasons. But you’re not taking it if you can coach a top club in Spain, Germany, England, or Italy. And Marsch is on that path it seems

feedback