[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 801088 times)

shoothoops

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #3250 on: February 14, 2021, 10:31:23 AM »
Daryl Dike was loaned from Orlando City to Barnsley, and, he will be eligible for Saturday's game v Derby County. Barnsley also plays Chelsea in the 5th round of F.A. Cup next week.

I liked his play out of  U of Virginia, strong debut MLS effort with 8 goals in 17 games.

Darly Dike gets a road start at 2nd place Brentford, helps set up a goal in 2-0 win for Barnsley.

https://twitter.com/BrianSciaretta/status/1360963940021374977?s=19

https://twitter.com/BarnsleyFC/status/1360971560144674820?s=19
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 10:33:58 AM by shoothoops »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3251 on: February 28, 2021, 12:33:57 PM »
Is Bale back?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #3252 on: March 03, 2021, 01:45:28 PM »
Barnsley is seeking its 6th straight league win since Daryl Dike has joined the team, today at Queens Park Rangers. And, he's scored again w/a near post header.

https://twitter.com/UsmntU/status/1367195910053183497?s=19

https://twitter.com/BarnsleyFC/status/1367198149048156166?s=19

https://twitter.com/MenInBlazers/status/1364681656683085831?s=19

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #3253 on: March 04, 2021, 01:57:34 PM »
Fulham robbed of a point vs. Tottenham.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3254 on: March 04, 2021, 02:04:09 PM »
Fulham robbed of a point vs. Tottenham.

Nope.   Handball rule is clear as day.  Can't score a goal off of any handling by the attacking team.  It sucks, but it's following the Laws.

Funny enough, that rule was put into place after Fernando Llorente's hip goal vs Man City in the Champions League quarterfinal that Spurs won.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #3255 on: March 04, 2021, 02:35:31 PM »
Nope.   Handball rule is clear as day.  Can't score a goal off of any handling by the attacking team.  It sucks, but it's following the Laws.

Funny enough, that rule was put into place after Fernando Llorente's hip goal vs Man City in the Champions League quarterfinal that Spurs won.

I'm more upset with the rule than this particular decision, but the rule has not been applied consistently this year either.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3256 on: March 04, 2021, 05:16:33 PM »

It does follow the letter of the law. But jeebus, that was not a real hand ball.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3257 on: March 04, 2021, 06:00:15 PM »
It does follow the letter of the law. But jeebus, that was not a real hand ball.

Neither was Sissoko's in the CL final.  The laws are the laws, good or bad.

Try reffing with some of the rules in place.  The parents are the best!  (Especially offsides.)

BM1090

• All American

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3260 on: March 05, 2021, 10:26:43 AM »
Good.

Now fix offsides.

How would you fix it?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3261 on: March 05, 2021, 10:44:50 AM »

How would you fix it?

Part of it is that VAR is broken.  Thr red and blue lines are crap. Especially when the camera angle isn't dead on.  If they are going to use VAR, there needs to be a system of cameras on field level to get the proper angle.  Think pylon cam but it would have to be something that could cover the length of the field.

Better define the body parts that can be offside.  I don't think a shoulder is offsides.   I know you can score with your head, but don't think that should be offsides either.

So basically, feet and legs.  When I AR, I'm watching the attacker and the defender and listening for the kick.  Trying to watch two whole bodies is impossible, if the focus is on the legs, it would make more sense.

I do like the change that the flag stays down until the offsides attacker touches the ball.  The attackers isn't offsides until the ball is touched and they have the option to bail out and concede possession.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3262 on: March 05, 2021, 11:19:30 AM »
Part of it is that VAR is broken.  Thr red and blue lines are crap. Especially when the camera angle isn't dead on.  If they are going to use VAR, there needs to be a system of cameras on field level to get the proper angle.  Think pylon cam but it would have to be something that could cover the length of the field.

Better define the body parts that can be offside.  I don't think a shoulder is offsides.   I know you can score with your head, but don't think that should be offsides either.

So basically, feet and legs.  When I AR, I'm watching the attacker and the defender and listening for the kick.  Trying to watch two whole bodies is impossible, if the focus is on the legs, it would make more sense.

I do like the change that the flag stays down until the offsides attacker touches the ball.  The attackers isn't offsides until the ball is touched and they have the option to bail out and concede possession.

Agreed.  They've lost the spirit of the rule.  I love when a player is ruled offsides because their outstretched hand or arm is beyond a defender when they are leaning forward.  Or a player kept "onside" despite their entire body being beyond a defender cause the defender's arm is dragging backwards and their hand just reaches past the attacking player's body.

Its largely been good for determining right or wrong indirect offsides by players not involved in the play that may have drawn a flag in the past, but otherwise its shambolic in my opinion.   The judgement calls in "build up" reviews that remove good goals are especially awful IMO.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3263 on: March 05, 2021, 11:20:33 AM »

Thanks and I agree.  I still thik VAR should be used for this though.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #3264 on: March 05, 2021, 12:18:28 PM »
Application of handball has been wildly inconsistent, but changing the rule midseason the day after a controversy is wild.

Agree with ZFB on offside and VAR. I'd only count torso, like a track race. They also need to fix these cameras to be exact if they're going to call it so tight.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3265 on: March 05, 2021, 01:00:33 PM »
Application of handball has been wildly inconsistent, but changing the rule midseason the day after a controversy is wild.

Agree with ZFB on offside and VAR. I'd only count torso, like a track race. They also need to fix these cameras to be exact if they're going to call it so tight.

IFAB said it'd effect 7/1 but associations can adopt it now, tbf.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #3266 on: March 05, 2021, 04:22:49 PM »
There's something about the offsides rule that bugs me. I'll probably do a poor job of explaining this because I'm a newer soccer viewer, but I'll give it a shot.

If there are two defenders trying to cover three forward runs and a cross incoming. Striker A and B are onside. Striker B is making a run and is narrowly offside . Defender 1 goes with Striker A. Defender 2, unsure if Striker C is offside, goes with Striker C. The ball falls to Striker B who is legally onside, and he finishes. This used to be blown as offsides because Striker C influenced the play, even if he didn't touch the ball. Now with VAR, it's a good goal.

I was venting about the handball rule yesterday because Fulham was penalized, but it's the offsides rule/interpretation that drives me nuts.

Some common sense has to be applied as well. Werner's arm being offsides because he pointed to tell his teammate where he wanted the ball. Insanity.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3267 on: March 05, 2021, 04:39:04 PM »
There's something about the offsides rule that bugs me. I'll probably do a poor job of explaining this because I'm a newer soccer viewer, but I'll give it a shot.

If there are two defenders trying to cover three forward runs and a cross incoming. Striker A and B are onside. Striker B is making a run and is narrowly offside . Defender 1 goes with Striker A. Defender 2, unsure if Striker C is offside, goes with Striker C. The ball falls to Striker B who is legally onside, and he finishes. This used to be blown as offsides because Striker C influenced the play, even if he didn't touch the ball. Now with VAR, it's a good goal.

I was venting about the handball rule yesterday because Fulham was penalized, but it's the offsides rule/interpretation that drives me nuts.

Some common sense has to be applied as well. Werner's arm being offsides because he pointed to tell his teammate where he wanted the ball. Insanity.

If the unmarked, offsides attacker influences the play, it should be offsides.   

There was a play yesterday where it almost looked like Kane was doing what you described, but nothing was called.  Don't remember if the shot was saved or missed.  I'll try to find a clip of it.

But it's 100% a judgement call if the player was involved with in the play or not.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3268 on: March 05, 2021, 06:02:21 PM »
If the unmarked, offsides attacker influences the play, it should be offsides.   

There was a play yesterday where it almost looked like Kane was doing what you described, but nothing was called.  Don't remember if the shot was saved or missed.  I'll try to find a clip of it.

But it's 100% a judgement call if the player was involved with in the play or not.

Agreed.  If a striker is offsides and steps over a ball or moves away from it due to being offsides, It won’t be an issue. If the keeper moves to cover said striker, regardless if he is playing the ball or not, it’s blown offsides. I think largely VAR is helpful and easy here cause when stopped and slowed those judgmental calls are aided greatly

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #3269 on: March 05, 2021, 06:13:04 PM »
https://youtu.be/q275sxuaUhY

This is where I think VAR fails. The striker is offside and jumps at the ball. The defender has to play the cross because the flag isnt up. The ball falls to an onside player after the weak clearance and the result is a goal.

In my mind, this is offside. And this is one of many examples this season. This cost Fulham two points.

If I'm wrong, I'm willing to learn. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3270 on: March 05, 2021, 06:35:53 PM »
https://youtu.be/q275sxuaUhY

This is where I think VAR fails. The striker is offside and jumps at the ball. The defender has to play the cross because the flag isnt up. The ball falls to an onside player after the weak clearance and the result is a goal.

In my mind, this is offside. And this is one of many examples this season. This cost Fulham two points.

If I'm wrong, I'm willing to learn. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

That play happens countless times a game and nothing happens. Player is offsides, pass goes over their head or past them, defender clears, official never even raises the flag.

It’s only an issue because of the poor clearance. I get the frustration, but Andersen leaves Haller to go play the clearance. And Haller was short of the cross (think of an uncatchable pass in football negative DPI), and then was no longer involved in the play or directly marked by a defender.  I think if Andersen sticks with Haller and the other CB hade to move up to make the clearance as a result and the same play happened, then it would have been blown dead.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #3271 on: March 06, 2021, 11:07:21 AM »
Barnsley is seeking its 6th straight league win since Daryl Dike has joined the team, today at Queens Park Rangers. And, he's scored again w/a near post header.

https://twitter.com/UsmntU/status/1367195910053183497?s=19

https://twitter.com/BarnsleyFC/status/1367198149048156166?s=19

https://twitter.com/MenInBlazers/status/1364681656683085831?s=19

Another day, another Daryl Dike goal, 1-0 Barnsley. Just inside the 18, Rocket, top shelf, near post, game winner. 7 straight wins since he joined the team.

https://twitter.com/BrianSciaretta/status/1368233523879018502?s=19

https://twitter.com/MenInBlazers/status/1368234566608158721?s=19
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 11:25:04 AM by shoothoops »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3272 on: March 06, 2021, 12:10:45 PM »
Arse got jobbed by that handball no call.   ;D :D ;D :D

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3273 on: March 07, 2021, 02:55:01 PM »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3274 on: March 07, 2021, 08:08:34 PM »
Bump

Crazy what happens when the manager, you know, starts to play his best players.