collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 800226 times)

groove

Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2011, 01:45:00 PM »
This is just one of the reasons why CONCACAF is a joke. If anything remotely close to this happened during a Euro qualifier, the match would be abandoned, and the game would be played in an empty stadium.

It's shameful and disgusting that stuff is still allowed to happen.

Would be nice if somehow the US got out of CONCACAF and into CONMEBOL. Obviously would be more difficult to make the World Cup every cycle but in the long run it would be better for US Soccer and we wouldnt have to deal with playing on high school quality pitches like we do when we play at some of the CONCACAF minnows.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2011, 03:21:39 PM »
Not a predictor of the outcome, but I like the Mexico matchup points (style,formation,defense,etc) for the USA, better than those with Panama.

I am optomistic for USA in the Rose Bowl..
...even if I remain a diehard Real Madrid, and Spain fan moreso(sorry).
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 05:10:09 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

groove

« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2011, 05:06:28 PM »
anyone been to the new kansas city stadium yet. On telelvision it looks great. Looks like a nice setup. I hate the "soccer specific stadiums' that have stages on either end of the pitch, like Columbus.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2011, 05:44:33 PM »
In response to groove's original question, it all depends on who you sit by. Yes there are some some very obnoxious, threatening Mexico fans, but by no means can you label all Mexico fans "an affront to civilization" as Jam Chowder did. It's actually quite insulting.

The biggest factor, as is usually the case during sporting events, is the amount of alcohol consumed. I went to the 2007 Gold Cup Final in Chicago and saw my fair share of tough man talk from both American and Mexican fans. Obviously the U.S. fans had the last laugh in that one.

As for the stuff thrown on the field, yea that never happens in Europe... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMRD8fGToFY

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2011, 09:11:48 PM »
In response to groove's original question, it all depends on who you sit by. Yes there are some some very obnoxious, threatening Mexico fans, but by no means can you label all Mexico fans "an affront to civilization" as Jam Chowder did. It's actually quite insulting.

The biggest factor, as is usually the case during sporting events, is the amount of alcohol consumed. I went to the 2007 Gold Cup Final in Chicago and saw my fair share of tough man talk from both American and Mexican fans. Obviously the U.S. fans had the last laugh in that one.

As ever, it does depend on a lot of factors. Went to Gold Cup 2007 Final with buddy who is Mexican-American and we sat 15 rows behind one goal which happened to be mostly Mexico supporters. Throughout the match it was typical crap. As Benny scored his wonder goal it all changed. I was the target of all their verbal abuse and at the final whistle was showered with many cups of beer, including two thrown by kids no older than 10.

Hey, this crap happens but I've seen Mexicans start trouble at World Cup matches which is an awfully tough thing to do considering what those crowds are made up of.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2011, 11:20:58 PM »
Would be nice if somehow the US got out of CONCACAF and into CONMEBOL. Obviously would be more difficult to make the World Cup every cycle but in the long run it would be better for US Soccer and we wouldnt have to deal with playing on high school quality pitches like we do when we play at some of the CONCACAF minnows.
This is already planned for---when then next global ice age hits and most americans are forced to move to South America to survive, the North American federation,CONCACAF will be merged  into CONMEBOL, the South American federation. lol
Until then, however, the USA is not real popular, given our historical manipulations of govt and business in many of the CONMEBOL countries, and we're opposed by the current Bolivarian movements in most of them:
Argentina,
Bolivia,
Brazil,
Chile,
Colombia,
Ecuador,
Paraguay,
Peru,
Uruguay, and
Venezuela

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #83 on: June 25, 2011, 02:49:22 PM »
ESPNs preview of todays game:
http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/columnist/carlisle_jeff/id/6698248/us-vs-mexico-tale-tape-jeff-carlisle-soccer
This is an important marker of both programs--Bradley knows to start Donovan, and begin play with greater intensity...I hope.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2011, 05:32:53 PM »
ESPNs preview of todays game:
http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/columnist/carlisle_jeff/id/6698248/us-vs-mexico-tale-tape-jeff-carlisle-soccer
This is an important marker of both programs--Bradley knows to start Donovan, and begin play with greater intensity...I hope.

Interesting to see.

There's really only Donovan off the bench to change the game. As much as I want Freddy to continue upward, you're not sure if he'll bring tonight what he did against Panama. I imagine Bradley's thinking has to come down to where he feels he has a legitimate option in the 65th minute of a 0-0 match that hasn't seen one team dominate play. At that point, other than Donovan, who can take over and work to win it? Guessing he has to stay with what has worked this last week.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #85 on: June 25, 2011, 09:52:02 PM »
Interesting to see.

There's really only Donovan off the bench to change the game. As much as I want Freddy to continue upward, you're not sure if he'll bring tonight what he did against Panama. I imagine Bradley's thinking has to come down to where he feels he has a legitimate option in the 65th minute of a 0-0 match that hasn't seen one team dominate play. At that point, other than Donovan, who can take over and work to win it? Guessing he has to stay with what has worked this last week.

2-4  in 87th minute....we started fast, but got just sloppy and inattentive on defense...didnt forsee this type of game at all,...we played into Mexico's quick, anxious pop-play style. We played well to 2-1...at which point I wouldve thought we'd slow it and dictate pace more...darn this one.

Jumping Jesuit

• Walk-On
« Reply #86 on: June 26, 2011, 12:18:00 AM »
I await for the day when the USA will play against Mexico in the USA and it will actually be considered a home game for the USA . . .

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #87 on: June 26, 2011, 04:03:29 AM »
I await for the day when the USA will play against Mexico in the USA and it will actually be considered a home game for the USA . . .

I don't know if we'll ever see that day.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2011, 07:21:39 AM »

That day will come.  But you are right we may never see it, but one of the next generations will.

I'm still sick to my stomache that they blew that.  Why not go with Spector for Steve C.  Then you don't have to go switching up the back line even more.  Sometimes crazy eyes Bradley baffles me.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2011, 07:33:51 AM »

Well, when we played in Columbus...in the winter....for a WC qualifier, wasn't it mostly a home game?

It was like the Dream Team Olympics.  The games were in Barcelona, but the crowd was pro-American for nearly every game.  Soccer isn't yet all that important to most Americans.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2011, 11:53:13 AM »
Get Bob the fu** out of here!!! Cherundolo gets injured, which is unfortunate, and it puts Bob in a tough position. His decision? Bring in Jonathan Bornstein. Are you fu**ing kidding me?! Bornstein hadn't played a single minute in this gold cup.  Every Mexican goal started on his side. They attacked our defensive left consistently. What an embarrassment. Why not bring in Tim Ream and move Bocanegra outside?? And after going down 3-2, we stick with what's not working?? At that point, since you're playing with 3 defenders anyway, why not bring in another attacker and go 3-5-2? This is a game we definitely should have won.

If you wanted this to be a true home game, why not host it in Seattle, or Columbus, or Nashville?

PaintTouches

• All American
Re: US vs. Spain
« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2011, 01:16:36 PM »
The whole home field advantage thing only matters during world cup qualifying matches and all of those will be either in Columbus or the new stadium in Kansas City. The fact of the matter is that the USSF knows better than to play Mexico in LA, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, or New York (all hosts in this tournament).

However, the USSF had nothing to do with scheduling this game. CONCACAF calls all the shots and the only thing they care about is $$$. 90,000 plus butts in the stands is simply brilliant in their eyes (and pockets). They could care less who buys the tickets.

I see this Mexico team as very very tough to beat. The attack is clicking on all cylinders now that Dos Santos decided to stop being a prima donna. Chicharito is a given but the wingers Guardado and Barrera are basically using the Gold Cup as a tryout for their next team so they will be extra lively.

As for the game itself, I called it before the start of the tourney. The top four is lethal at the moment. I wish CONCACAF would have allowed Mexico to send this team down to the Copa America. I could easily envision Mexico making it to the semis with its full team.

groove

« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2011, 01:44:05 PM »
May have been the last game for Bob Bradley. Many different articles on the web today like this one

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/724594-gold-cup-2011-schedule-results-and-latest-news/entry/101787-bob-bradley-post-game-comments-appear-to-spell-doom-for-bob-bradleys-job

Players not defending him. Donovan's statement when asked about Bradley's job, "That is not my concern"

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2011, 06:17:04 PM »
We need Jurgen Klinsmann badly, Bob Bradley needs to go.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2011, 06:55:47 PM »
We need Jurgen Klinsmann badly, Bob Bradley needs to go.

never happen. klinsmann will want control over the USSF, which gulati won't do. Gulati needs to go along with Bob.

caltruda

« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2011, 09:04:52 PM »
Klinsmann is more style than substance. Loew has arguably proven to be better for Germany since being promoted after the '06 Cup. Would love to see Gulati make another run at Marco Bielsa (he turned the US down before it re-upped with Bradley), but US Soccer needs to show deep pockets b/c even $3M per might not be enough for El Loco.

Also agree a 3-5-2 would've worked best at halftime, with Edu in the middle of the park to give better coverage to Bradley and Jones since they don't know how to cover for each other. Ironically, the guy the US may have missed the most was Holden to hold the ball and initiate the offense. Lichaj is now a step ahead of Ream and Chandler based on his extensive playing time in this tournament, and the other two have to make up that ground quickly.

Still a team likely to make the World Cup, which says more about the weaknesses of CONCACAF than the strength of the US team. Even if Mexico _ now the favorite _ finishes first in the final qualifying round, it'll be another World Cup no team from the region gets seeded and protected.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2011, 09:41:48 PM »

Won't happen, especially here in California and we all know why.  I'm sure this post will be deleted by the mods here.....scary controversial comments....scary.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 09:46:29 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #97 on: June 27, 2011, 07:42:43 AM »
Still a team likely to make the World Cup, which says more about the weaknesses of CONCACAF than the strength of the US team. Even if Mexico _ now the favorite _ finishes first in the final qualifying round, it'll be another World Cup no team from the region gets seeded and protected.

Mexico was seeded for Germany in 2006 I believe.

groove

« Reply #98 on: June 27, 2011, 08:02:54 AM »

Mexico was seeded for Germany in 2006 I believe.

yeah, i remember FIFA changed the formula for seeding the week of the drawing. The previous formula had the US getting seeded. Got to love FIFA politics.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #99 on: June 27, 2011, 08:12:49 AM »
Considering our crappy performance, that's probably not a bad thing.

feedback