[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 799787 times)

groove

Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #100 on: June 27, 2011, 08:14:53 AM »
Considering our crappy performance, that's probably not a bad thing.

you're right on that.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #101 on: June 27, 2011, 04:51:49 PM »
Does anyone follow the womens world cup?
My youngest daughter was in club, and HS soccer when she followed the 1999 USA womens team, which was top, with China/Norway....but it seems like, over the last decade the rest of the world has caught up, and theres better womens soccer, now in other countries too--yes?
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2011, 05:30:40 PM »
My youngest daughter was in club, and HS soccer when she followed the 1999 USA womens team, which was top, with China/Norway....but it seems like, over the last decade the rest of the world has caught up, and theres better womens soccer, now in other countries too--yes?

I do for sure.  I find women's soccer to be by far the most entertaining of any women's sports (well volleyball is close).  Should be an interesting squad, some intriguing new talent to go with some old standbys like Wambach, Boxx, and the triumphant return of Hope Solo.

Its interesting that Mitts is back on the WC squad.  She missed the last couple of WCs with injuries and now gets her shot despite being old-ish by soccer standards.  She can help Alex Morgan hold down the hottie quotient on the team.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #103 on: June 28, 2011, 09:03:33 AM »

We're still good, but the world is definitely catching up. Brazil and Germany have become truly elite, while in our own confederation even Mexico has improved enough to provide a stern challenge. We will be one of the dark horses for this year's World Cup, but I'm looking forward to watching the women kick off today at 10:45 Central on ESPN. It's our best shot at winning a World Cup, even if it isn't the men's team.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #104 on: June 28, 2011, 10:12:24 AM »
definitely will be watching. I have seen them live in the Hamm,Chastain era and in World cup and it is by far the most exciting women's sport.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #105 on: June 28, 2011, 10:20:58 AM »
It's our best shot at winning a World Cup, even if because it isn't the men's team.

Fixed.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #106 on: June 28, 2011, 03:10:20 PM »
It's our best shot at winning a World Cup, even if it isn't the men's team because Bob Bradley isn't the coach.

My personal feelings about the USA women's national team... I really was a fan, and supported them. Up until the (i can't remember the year) world cup where they would sit on the ball in the opposition's corner to waste time once they had a lead. awful.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #107 on: June 29, 2011, 05:38:45 AM »
My personal feelings about the USA women's national team... I really was a fan, and supported them. Up until the (i can't remember the year) world cup where they would sit on the ball in the opposition's corner to waste time once they had a lead. awful.

I know what you mean, but it's not that much different in the men's game. You see that kind of time wasting in every single World Cup. Ghana did it profusely last year once they had the lead in extra time. Brazil did it in the Confederations. Virtually every successful team will use some time-wasting tactics. Once they have a lead, no one is better at killing the clock than Spain simply because they can pass it around the back so well. Time-wasting is like diving, both may be an unfortunate part of the game, but they are still an important part of the game, so you're better off being as good at them as possible.

If Americans had any skill at diving, we could immediately go from being a top-25 type team to a top 10-12 type team. Our staunch refusal in most instances to dive, and our awkward attempts when we do, certainly has us behind the likes of Brazil, Spain, Portugal, and Italy when it comes to level competition.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #108 on: June 29, 2011, 04:23:38 PM »
I don't know Jones looked pretty adept at diving.  The red card he drew with no contact was impressive.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #109 on: June 29, 2011, 04:38:11 PM »
I know what you mean, but it's not that much different in the men's game. You see that kind of time wasting in every single World Cup. Ghana did it profusely last year once they had the lead in extra time. Brazil did it in the Confederations. Virtually every successful team will use some time-wasting tactics. Once they have a lead, no one is better at killing the clock than Spain simply because they can pass it around the back so well. Time-wasting is like diving, both may be an unfortunate part of the game, but they are still an important part of the game, so you're better off being as good at them as possible.

If Americans had any skill at diving, we could immediately go from being a top-25 type team to a top 10-12 type team. Our staunch refusal in most instances to dive, and our awkward attempts when we do, certainly has us behind the likes of Brazil, Spain, Portugal, and Italy when it comes to level competition.
Good point. As a regular La Liga watcher, I was stunned at lack of tight marking, blocking, and diving in the play of the USA.
I taught my daughter to dive...and in one game a yellow was held up, only to have the opposing player scream, 'she never touched me."..the card was withdrawn, and I really admired the other girl's sportsmanship. Due to player safety concerns, though, most of my girls trainers and managers discouraged her diving--she loved it, but they'd stop her. Maybe US soccer doesnt teach it...exactly due to injury/liability/safety concerns, of our litigious country...just a guess, here.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #110 on: June 30, 2011, 10:01:00 AM »
I taught my daughter to dive...and in one game a yellow was held up, only to have the opposing player scream, 'she never touched me."..the card was withdrawn, and I really admired the other girl's sportsmanship.

This doesn't make sense.  Your daughter dove and drew a yellow, the other girl complained, the card was overturned and as a result you admired the other girl for "sportsmanship"?  That just seems like whining to the refs.  Unless I misread that.

While I don't like diving, especially when it comes to excessive diving like the Italians or players who have no need for it but do it, honestly, to the detriment of the rest of their game (cough Cristiano Ronaldo), but its part of the game.  Its no different that players getting away with travels or stars getting calls in the NBA.  Its stupid, but its part of the game and if you choose not to take advantage, you are at a severe disadvantage.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #111 on: June 30, 2011, 11:05:30 AM »
My favorite memory was my daughter's Premier League game where the opposing coach was warned about his player diving and at the beginning of the second half she dove in the penalty box. The ref walked over to the coach and produced a red card.
In California we saw a lot of special treatment for one ethnicity. One particluar player,who was a friend of my daughter's and good enough to land a D1 Scholie, was adept at diving in the box. One game we played her team and she was umarked wide left of the box and juking with the ball when she fell down on her own. The ref awarded her a free kick despite the nearest defender being yards off.
And don't get me started about the refereeing in Mexico when we played there.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #112 on: June 30, 2011, 03:29:24 PM »
This doesn't make sense.  Your daughter dove and drew a yellow, the other girl complained, the card was overturned and as a result you admired the other girl for "sportsmanship"?  That just seems like whining to the refs.  Unless I misread that.

Sense to be made from my odd first explanation...The opposing girl was not complaining,...she was acknowledging(screaming) to the ref..that there was no foul, and actually spoke up to the ref to see there wasnt a mistaken yellow issued to my kid...I thought it was cool on her part...does that make better sense?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 03:34:30 PM by houwarrior »

Keelsmeals

• Walk-On
« Reply #113 on: June 30, 2011, 11:05:42 PM »
Not related to the other posts, but still futbol talk...

The Development Academy Finals are going to be played in Milwaukee beginning July 9th. If you're not familiar with the Development Academies, they are essentially the training ground for the future national team player pool (and for college and MLS/pro player scouting).

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Development-Academy/2011/06/All-16-Teams-Set-for-2011-Development-Academy-Finals-Week.aspx

And if you followed the World Cup last year, you probably heard Jay DeMerit's crazy story about how he became a starter for the USMNT. A documentary was made about him, and the filmmakers are trying to raise money for licensing rights so they can distribute the film. MLS teams and the American Outlaws are hosting screenings all over the country and have a website for fundraising if you're so inclined. It's a cool sports story, but it's also a truly inspirational story about perseverance, chasing dreams, and believing in yourself. I think the message has broader appeal than just the soccer community, but hopefully it will benefit US Soccer in the long run.

http://jaydemeritstory.com/
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1370261090/rise-and-shine-the-jay-demerit-story

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #114 on: July 01, 2011, 10:43:10 PM »
For a very good review of the state of, and issues facing USA soccer, and especially those on replacing Bradley...you'll enjoy this ESPN piece:
http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/6715439/bob-bradley-come-fire-not-easily-replaced-soccer
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 10:45:37 PM by houwarrior »

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #115 on: July 14, 2011, 04:17:05 AM »
I do for sure.  I find women's soccer to be by far the most entertaining of any women's sports (well volleyball is close).  Should be an interesting squad, some intriguing new talent to go with some old standbys like Wambach, Boxx, and the triumphant return of Hope Solo.

Its interesting that Mitts is back on the WC squad.  She missed the last couple of WCs with injuries and now gets her shot despite being old-ish by soccer standards.  She can help Alex Morgan hold down the hottie quotient on the team.
After the great USA game against Brazil, and the "lets take a long lunch today, and watch USA/France, in the semis"....I hope many, many have joined us in the watching of womens soccer.
Agreeing with you...womens world cup soccer is the most "watchable" womens sport for US males.
Seeing Wambach's  vertical leap heading in the the go ahead goal  off the well placed corner kick was...wow...just plain damn good athletic play...men or women, aside.

I hope yall are getting pumped up. This is fun!!!

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #116 on: July 14, 2011, 05:50:57 AM »
I must say, the women's world cup has been more entertaining than MLS, so I will contiue to watch. I just wish the USMNT had a couple players that could self generate scoring abilities like the ladies.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #117 on: July 14, 2011, 07:59:17 AM »
I must say, the women's world cup has been more entertaining than MLS, so I will contiue to watch. I just wish the USMNT had a couple players that could self generate scoring abilities like the ladies.

When I got up this morning, I was watching the highlights again and thought "screw the girls being an inspiration for little girls around the country, how about inspiring the men's team to actually think about winning a competition this big?"

The grit this team possesses is incredible. They were flat out beaten by Brazil. Playing a man down, outplayed most of the second half, only to concede? Once you hit injury team, no one is going to come back from that against a team as good as Brazil (OT: Brazil's women have more creative flair than our men) yet they managed to get that one counter-attack, completely against the run of play, and Rapinoe dropped in an inch-perfect cross for Wambach to finish.

The France game, I was saying all game that one goal wasn't going to be enough, and honestly, we were quite simply outplayed for about 75 minutes. That game reminded me almost exactly of the USA/Spain match in the Confederations. Playing against a team that could outpossess you to death, with perfect passing, and the US could barely get any meaningful possession in France's end. France finished with 55% possession and a 25-11 advantage in shots. Yet we refused to concede the 20 yard area surrounding our goal, which forced France to shoot from range at our world-class keeper. But we made the most of the few chances we got (we scored on more than half our on-target shots) and somehow found a way to get a 2-goal win. God, if that wasn't Spain all over again...

Great wins, really exciting stuff. Can't wait for Sunday, and still can't figure out how/where I'm going to watch it. Supposed to visit a friend at noon (his father is sick) then drive 3 hours up north to see my mom and grandpa. The only thing I can figure is to leave after the USA game at 4, but getting there at 7 is pretty late for a 91-year-old man.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #118 on: July 14, 2011, 09:42:45 AM »

The France game, I was saying all game that one goal wasn't going to be enough, and honestly, we were quite simply outplayed for about 75 minutes. That game reminded me almost exactly of the USA/Spain match in the Confederations. Playing against a team that could outpossess you to death, with perfect passing, and the US could barely get any meaningful possession in France's end. France finished with 55% possession and a 25-11 advantage in shots. Yet we refused to concede the 20 yard area surrounding our goal, which forced France to shoot from range at our world-class keeper. But we made the most of the few chances we got (we scored on more than half our on-target shots) and somehow found a way to get a 2-goal win. God, if that wasn't Spain all over again...

I don't know if 75 min is completely fair.  The US came out and dominated early and throughout the most of the first half, despite the French having plenty of chances, the US looked pretty in control.  The possession and shots are deceptive as the US game is predicated on stingy defense and effective counter-attacks.  So even if the US completely outplayed a team, they wouldn't necessarily out possess the opponent.  Spain they are not.

The second half was completely different as I agree we were totally outplayed until Rapinoe came in at the 65th min and started to change things.  She really has been a catalyst for this team on the wing.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #119 on: July 16, 2011, 01:24:06 AM »
Between Title IX providing a great path, and the proliferation of clubs/money/talent (see below), the womens side may well continue to enjoy a better comparative talent pipeline in the USA, than is the case on the mens side.
My daughter came up the programs described in this Hou Chron article:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/soc/7655850.html#finalframe

WC Final is upon us..

Go USA Chicks--Remember Pearl Harbor, and Sink the Japs!..

..hows that for politically incorrect talk. lol

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #120 on: July 16, 2011, 07:32:57 AM »
Have you seen the overnight ratings from the Brazil match?

groove

« Reply #121 on: July 16, 2011, 09:27:49 AM »

Sunday's ratings should be monster.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #122 on: July 16, 2011, 07:44:12 PM »
yes ....why ask?....its great to see the viewership bump in the usa

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #123 on: July 17, 2011, 07:39:34 AM »
Soccer America ran a piece entitled "Three Reasons Why the USA will Will the WC."  The three reasons being Wambach, Solo, and  bench strength.  I must disagree with their forecast, as I think Japan is absolutely the finest technical TEAM I have ever seen in women's soccer, and I think their possession skills, precise one-touch passing, and quickness will absolutely make a meal out of the USA's lumbering long ball offense.  I offer three reasons why the US will lose this game:  our #7, our #10, and our shaky back line.
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

🏀

• All American
« Reply #124 on: July 17, 2011, 09:36:31 AM »
Soccer America ran a piece entitled "Three Reasons Why the USA will Will the WC."  The three reasons being Wambach, Solo, and  bench strength.  I must disagree with their forecast, as I think Japan is absolutely the finest technical TEAM I have ever seen in women's soccer, and I think their possession skills, precise one-touch passing, and quickness will absolutely make a meal out of the USA's lumbering long ball offense.  I offer three reasons why the US will lose this game:  our #7, our #10, and our shaky back line.

Hating on 'Merica? Terrorist.

feedback