Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Maymon Leaves Team!  (Read 41239 times)

TheButlerDidIt

• Starter
Re: Maymon Leaves Team!
« Reply #150 on: December 15, 2009, 09:17:31 AM »
I understand that in Wisconsin, anyone's legal background can be looked up and is fair game, but someone actually posted Tim's charges. To me, that's a bit creepy. The man isn't applying for a job, he's a ballplayer's father. Again, I do understand that the imformation is available, but seriously, what point is there for it to be on a fansite message board? Seems a bit invasive, a bit TMZish.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #151 on: December 15, 2009, 09:26:28 AM »
If this is truly just to "make a point" to Maymon, then issuing a press release that launches a firestorm was certainly an interesting way to accomplish it.

Why does anyone think that is the case? He left the team. That's it. It is well within MU's rights, and perhaps their responsibility to let people know. When players leave, schools announce it. That's not new. No matter the reason(s), it is Maymon's decision, and it is not their place to go out and speak for him and explain his reasons. That's his choice if he wants to do that or not.

This nonsense about making a point or calling a bluff is just stupid. He left the team and they announced it. What is complicated about that?

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #152 on: December 15, 2009, 10:01:06 AM »
J-May, we hardly knew ye.

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #153 on: December 15, 2009, 10:15:30 AM »
If we are holding out any hope that Jeronne and Buzz will figure something out in order for Jeronne to stay here, I really hope the Maymons are not readers of this site, in particular, this thread.

Embarrassed to be an MU fan today.

Do you really think that a MU fan message board would have that much influence on whether Maymon would re-consider his decision to quit the team?  I would have to think that there would be many more factors that would be much more important that influence him one way or the other.  (Relationship with coaches, relationship with players, other schools, playing time, etc). 

willie warrior

• All American
Hoopmasters Report on Maymon
« Reply #154 on: December 15, 2009, 10:16:59 AM »
According to Hoopmasters website on DEc. 14 story, Maymon is transferring. They quoted a "source close to the program" and confirmed by the Journal Sentinel. Two schools he is looking at are Minnesota and Iowa State. (Shades of Mbakwe and Christopherson)

As I said earlier, somebody should be asking Buzz what the hell is going on with his program!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #155 on: December 15, 2009, 10:17:39 AM »
How can this possibly happen this fast.  I have two thoughts.
Does this kid realize how bad of a career move this is?
Rreally buzz?  Even the mega-uber-pretty boy crean never had one leave this quick.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #156 on: December 15, 2009, 10:23:53 AM »

I am going to have to say I agree with TheButlerDidIt.

Jimmy!

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #157 on: December 15, 2009, 10:25:10 AM »
How can this possibly happen this fast.  I have two thoughts.
Rreally buzz?  Even the mega-uber-pretty boy crean never had one leave this quick.

Technically, I think Roseboro's departure still holds the record.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #158 on: December 15, 2009, 10:27:45 AM »

I'm not sure it won't ultimatley end up being a pretty good career move. I think he could really benefit from the year off to develop (mentally and physically). He seems to be a player without a position right now. A year to work on his game, without giving up an entire season (never understood why more players don't transfer mid-year) will probably be very good for him.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #159 on: December 15, 2009, 10:36:27 AM »
A year to work on his game, without giving up an entire season (never understood why more players don't transfer mid-year) will probably be very good for him.

Because they lose playing time.

If he waits until the end of the year to transfer, he has three full years to play after sitting out.

If he transfers now, then he plays 1/2 of next year and has two full years after that.

Essentially mid year transfers end up giving up a year's worth of game time.  Very few players are willing to do that.

77champs

• Walk-On
« Reply #160 on: December 15, 2009, 10:37:05 AM »
Disappointing that Buzz was not able to manage the situation with the father and the player.  These things usually take place over time and info gets out.   This was very quick but seems to speak towards some incident with either the player or father.   Either way you manage it if you want the player.   Hard to believe things degraded that quickly and at this point in the season.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #161 on: December 15, 2009, 10:39:27 AM »
the problem with A mid year transfer is you do not get a year to develop.  If he stayed at MU he would play the 2nd half of this year and the 1st and 2nd 1/2 of next.  If he transfer's he would play just the 2nd 1/2 of next.  Either way he would use 2 years of eligibility. A end of year transfer gets a full year to develop and does not not lose and eligbility.

bs4173

• Team Captain
« Reply #162 on: December 15, 2009, 10:45:13 AM »
Hard to believe things degraded that quickly and at this point in the season.

Agreed. Especially when it seems by all accounts that there wasn't too much noise prior to last night. This came out of the blue. Tim Maymon wasn't making a stink out of it (partially based on posts by people who saw/talked to him at the UW game).

I realize that teams like to keep things under wraps if they reflect negatively on a program, but it certainly didn't seem like there were major problems. It's awfully drastic seeing as Jeronne was starting to settle into his role as a freshman at MU.

willie warrior

• All American
Hoopmasters Report on Maymon
« Reply #163 on: December 15, 2009, 11:54:42 AM »
Hoopmasters reported yesterday that a source close to the MU program told them that Maymon is transferring, and confirmed it through the Journal/Sentinel.

They said that he is looking at Minnesota and Iowa State. (Shades of Mbakwe and Christopherson)

What is going on with our program?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

79Warrior

• All American
Re: Hoopmasters Report on Maymon
« Reply #164 on: December 15, 2009, 11:58:16 AM »

Maybe Tubby has a mole

Badgerhater

• All American
Re: Hoopmasters Report on Maymon
« Reply #165 on: December 15, 2009, 12:01:04 PM »
MN has plenty of openings after all the miscreants they have recruited and kicked off the team or suspended to include Mbakwe

Iowa State?  Better off playing for UWGB.  With those two from MU, they will now be the no-jumpingest team in the Big 12.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #166 on: December 15, 2009, 12:09:39 PM »
willie....you can stop re-posting the same thing.  Look up.  they're getting merged into this thread.

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: Blue and gold glasses
« Reply #167 on: December 15, 2009, 12:29:27 PM »

You're right AH, mostly because MUSCOOP didn't exist at the time.  But since many of your memories are inaccurate on what I say even a few days or weeks ago, I would find it stunning if you had the correct memory of James Matthews and my comments from 6+ years ago.  LOL.

In those days I didn't have the time to be a poster but was an avid reader of the MU site run by John Dodds. As is the case now with MUSCOOP, you were an authority on everything and anything (until you were banned for life). And I never recall you ripping Crean regarding Matthews or any other players/recruits. I'll anxiously await your citing examples to the contrary. LOL yourself.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Don't worry, Buzz will fix it
« Reply #168 on: December 15, 2009, 12:30:13 PM »
Much as it will disappoint you looks like Vander is still committed to MU.

Why on earth would that disappoint me?  You're beyond ridiculous.  I'm thrilled that Vander is coming to MU....I'm disappointed that Maymon is leaving.

Please, get your story together and stop making crap up about what I'm happy or disappointed about.

Buzz is here for at least the next three years, I want him to succeed because rebuilding sucks.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #169 on: December 15, 2009, 12:39:05 PM »

This nonsense about making a point or calling a bluff is just stupid. He left the team and they announced it. What is complicated about that?

I don't know why some people believe this to be, but that it has been speculated on here by several posters.  It would certainly be an odd way to do things.....and also extremely unlikely as you suggest.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #170 on: December 15, 2009, 12:55:09 PM »
the problem with A mid year transfer is you do not get a year to develop.  If he stayed at MU he would play the 2nd half of this year and the 1st and 2nd 1/2 of next.  If he transfer's he would play just the 2nd 1/2 of next.  Either way he would use 2 years of eligibility. A end of year transfer gets a full year to develop and does not not lose and eligbility.

The other problem is that it affects our scoring with the NCAA.  I hope we don't release him without completing the semester, or we don't get any credit for that semester from the NCAA....that can hurt us down the road with the APR scores

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #171 on: December 15, 2009, 01:57:24 PM »
Do you really think that a MU fan message board would have that much influence on whether Maymon would re-consider his decision to quit the team?  I would have to think that there would be many more factors that would be much more important that influence him one way or the other.  (Relationship with coaches, relationship with players, other schools, playing time, etc). 

For the love of God please tell me that at MU, we don't have THIS short of a memory...

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #172 on: December 15, 2009, 02:11:28 PM »
The other problem is that it affects our scoring with the NCAA.  I hope we don't release him without completing the semester, or we don't get any credit for that semester from the NCAA....that can hurt us down the road with the APR scores

Chico, Do you think anything other than his own selfish interests played into this situation? Is there any concern or regard for his team, his teammates, his coach, his school, the MU community, the Madison Memorial community, etc??? That is the essence of this whole matter - a selfish, self-centered pair of people who only think about themselves.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Blue and gold glasses
« Reply #173 on: December 15, 2009, 02:18:09 PM »
In those days I didn't have the time to be a poster but was an avid reader of the MU site run by John Dodds. As is the case now with MUSCOOP, you were an authority on everything and anything (until you were banned for life). And I never recall you ripping Crean regarding Matthews or any other players/recruits. I'll anxiously await your citing examples to the contrary. LOL yourself.

Well then you didn't read much AH....you can do a search right here on this site for me ripping on Crean.  It's not hard, only takes a few seconds.  Happy to give you a tutorial.

Speaking of authority on everything and anything, how is Dodds doing these days?  Has he eliminated every post on the Maymon indicent so that it doesn't effect the program negatively?  

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 05:14:11 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #174 on: December 15, 2009, 02:20:06 PM »
Chico, Do you think anything other than his own selfish interests played into this situation? Is there any concern or regard for his team, his teammates, his coach, his school, the MU community, the Madison Memorial community, etc??? That is the essence of this whole matter - a selfish, self-centered pair of people who only think about themselves.

Hard to argue differently at this point, suppose we'll know more in a few days.  I still hope we don't release him without conditions for ARP score purposes.  He should be required to finish the semester.

feedback