[Today at 10:44:56 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 10:26:13 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by tower912
[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Favre talking to Vikings...here we go again  (Read 70056 times)

Moonboots

• Starter
Re: Favre talking to Vikings...here we go again
« Reply #275 on: August 19, 2009, 02:07:39 PM »
Vikings = Defending NFC North Champions
Vikings = Playing February 7, 2010

Really?  One fluke season, and your head is the size of the Land of 10,000 Lakes?

Yeah, maybe if you had 1996 Brett Favre.  Or hell, even 2004 Brett Favre.  Have fun with the Packers' sloppy seconds.  I respect what Brett Favre did for this franchise for 16 years, but he's crossed the line now.

Tell me, how many quarterbacks have experienced high levels of success without working out, going to mini camps, or showing up for training camp?  I'll give you a clue.  Check out the tail end of the Sherman regime in Green Bay, and you'll have your answer. 

If Favre REALLY wanted to win, or stick it to Ted, or whatever it is he REALLY wants to do, then he would have been in Minnesota since April building relationships, perfecting not only his, but his teammates' grasp of the offense, and getting himself in tip top playing shape around the shoulder surgery.  If he had, I'd be scared crapless as a Packer fan right now.  But as it stands, Favre will break down by week 8.  In fact, they're foolish to play him this Friday when his entire workout regimen apparently consisted of tossing a few balls to the local high school kids, if you trust what he said in his press conference yesterday.

It's a shame that he's going to crash and burn this way, and it's a shame that I'm going to have to cheer against him while it happens.  Maybe long after this travesty is over he'll come to his senses, but I'm starting to doubt that too.

You better hope Peterson stays healthy, because after him, your talent level drops considerably. 

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #276 on: August 19, 2009, 03:12:14 PM »
Heck, the way he played in the cold at Lambeau his last few years as a Packer he was a liability.

I wouldn't trust his arm/body on Week 15 at CAR, not to mention Week 16 at CHI...

Methinks Favre retires again after Week 14 and then unretires if the Vikes make the playoffs and plays the first game in a dome/warm weather stadium.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #277 on: August 19, 2009, 04:05:27 PM »
Wow ..

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP)—The Vikings have sold more than 3,000 season tickets since news broke that Brett Favre was coming to Minnesota. That’s in approximately a 24-hour span.

Chief marketing officer Steve LaCroix says the team has sold about 10,000 single-game tickets during that time as fans clamor over the arrival of the veteran quarterback.

--

3000 new ticketholders x 10 games (8+2 preseason) + 10,000 singles x $60 avg = $2.4m in one day.   Takes some of the sting off of Favre's salary.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #278 on: August 19, 2009, 04:15:35 PM »
Wow ..

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. (AP)—The Vikings have sold more than 3,000 season tickets since news broke that Brett Favre was coming to Minnesota. That’s in approximately a 24-hour span.

Chief marketing officer Steve LaCroix says the team has sold about 10,000 single-game tickets during that time as fans clamor over the arrival of the veteran quarterback.

--

3000 new ticketholders x 10 games (8+2 preseason) + 10,000 singles x $60 avg = $2.4m in one day.   Takes some of the sting off of Favre's salary.

If by sting, you mean 1/10, then yes, it takes some sting off of it  :P

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #280 on: August 19, 2009, 04:57:22 PM »
Adrian Peterson had the most fumbles in the NFL and Brett Favre threw the most interceptions in the NFL last year.  That is not a good sign.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #281 on: August 19, 2009, 05:13:40 PM »
If by sting, you mean 1/10, then yes, it takes some sting off of it  :P

Favre's contract is $10-12m.  So $2.4m of that is closer to 1/5th.  -- And remember, that's after only 24 hours.  Surely, that rate will go down, but say they hit $5m of extra ticket sales over the next month.  Not bad.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #282 on: August 19, 2009, 05:33:12 PM »
Adrian Peterson had the most fumbles in the NFL and Brett Favre threw the most interceptions in the NFL last year.  That is not a good sign.

Peterson as our running back.. yes, terrible sign.  Poor us.  Favre now in, instead of Rosenfels or Tarvaris... bad news.  Since our offense, especially that POS left side of the line, is so troubled, I sure hope we can do something on D.  Maybe the D-line filled with .. what's it called?  Pro Bowlers?  ... can put in a decent effort. 
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #283 on: August 19, 2009, 05:51:05 PM »

Tell me, how many quarterbacks have experienced high levels of success without working out, going to mini camps, or showing up for training camp?  I'll give you a clue.  Check out the tail end of the Sherman regime in Green Bay, and you'll have your answer. 

If Favre REALLY wanted to win, or stick it to Ted, or whatever it is he REALLY wants to do, then he would have been in Minnesota since April building relationships, perfecting not only his, but his teammates' grasp of the offense, and getting himself in tip top playing shape around the shoulder surgery.  If he had, I'd be scared crapless as a Packer fan right now.  But as it stands, Favre will break down by week 8.  In fact, they're foolish to play him this Friday when his entire workout regimen apparently consisted of tossing a few balls to the local high school kids, if you trust what he said in his press conference yesterday.

Peyton Manning didn't participate in training camp last year, and he was the MVP of the league.

To say that Brett Favre hasn't been working out is ridiculous, the man has been working out all offseason, thats why there has been so much speculation to him coming back, due to his offseason regiment.

The Vikings will win the NFC North, and lose in the playoffs, thats my .02 cents
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #284 on: August 19, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »
  Peterson as our running back.. yes, terrible sign.  Poor us.  Favre now in, instead of Rosenfels or Tarvaris... bad news.  Since our offense, especially that POS left side of the line, is so troubled, I sure hope we can do something on D.  Maybe the D-line filled with .. what's it called?  Pro Bowlers?  ... can put in a decent effort. 

Let's get one thing straight.. at this point in their respective careers, our quarterback is better than yours.  Also keep in mind that our defensive coordinator is a mastermind, and was THE biggest pickup in the NFC North this off season.  And we return defensive players that wholly comprised a unit that ranked 6th, yes, 6th, in the NFL in PPG allowed in '07, but were forced to play much of the season without the following in '08: Barnett, Bigby, Harris, Jenkins, Woodson, and Hawk. Oh, and throw in two defensive first round picks...

Now, just so I don't make outlandish unverified claims about this huge off season acquisition, like some purple-wearing NFL supporters, allow me to clarify.

The 1991 Pittsburgh Steelers ranked 22nd in the NFL in PPG allowed.  Dom Capers was hired to run the defense in 1992, and remained there until 1994. In that span, the Steelers ranked 2nd, 8th, and 2nd in PPG allowed .  After a brief stint as head coach of the expansion Carolina Panthers, which included an NFC Championship appearance, Dom Capers headed to Jacksonville, who in 1998 fielded the 17th ranked scoring defense in the NFL.  In his first year as their coordinator, in 1999, Capers led Jacksonville to have the 1st overall ranked scoring defense in the league.  Seeing a trend here?  Capers' only failed defensive coordinator appearance came in relief duty as much of the Miami Dolphins coaching staff was fired midseason in 2007.  That team, however, was never subject to Capers' skills as an organizer and installer of his 3-4 system.  Capers was forced to coach the Jim Bates 4-3 while changing systems on the fly, since he was on staff merely as a linebacker consultant and special assistant to the head coach.  This scenario in Green Bay matches up almost identically to those in Pittsburgh and Jacksonville, with respect to a change from a faltering 4-3 to a Capers-led 3-4.  Will history repeat itself? You better hope not.

Speaking of history repeating itself, you better hope Peterson is fully healthy and able to carry the load down the stretch this year.  Let us take a look at Favre's performance after Thanksgiving Day since 2005, shall we?

2005:  2 TD, 12 INT, 49% completion, 1338 yards, 53.3 QB Rating

2006: 5 TD, 11 INT, 58% completion, 1517 yards, 65.0 QB Rating

2007: 6 TD, 7 INT, 59% completion, 799 yards, 73.2 QB Rating

2008: 2 TD, 9 INT, 56% completion, 1011 yards, 55.2 QB Rating

Ouch.  Better hope you guys build a BIG lead in the division this year, because I sense a little pattern developing here.

Meanwhile, the redheaded stepchild formerly known as Tarvaris Jackson pulled this out of his hat after Thanksgiving last year:

8 TD, 1 INT, 64% completion, 740 yards, 115.4 QB Rating.

Incredibly interesting.

Jay Bee, I'm sure you'll throw back some nice little one liner and feel nice and fuzzy about yourself. (Pro Bowlers? That's the best you could come up with?  Favre and his 1:1 TD to INT ratio and 81.0 QB Rating were good for a Pro Bowl last year, if that tells you anything...)

But these are facts. I'm respectfully asking you to dispute them, but I really don't think you can.

I'll admit the prospect of a healthy, committed Favre like we saw in '07 is a formidable opponent.  But that would have required him  to be in Winter Park in March or April, building relationships with his teammates, getting on the same page as coaches, keeping himself in shape at their facilities and doing exhaustive film study like he did during his last hurrah in green and gold.  Face it, the guy wants to pull a Roger Clemens.  Skip the meat and bones of perfecting NFL football, and show up only on Sundays.  Even worse, the pushovers that call themselves the Vikings front office and coaching staff are allowing it to happen.  He's selling himself short, the team short, and every fan who has hopes that the Vikings will go places this year short.

Dating back to 2006, the Bears won the division and went to a Super Bowl.  They faltered the next year. We won the division and made an NFC Championship game appearance in '07.  We faltered in '08.  You guys won a tight division race in '08.  If we can learn anything, it's that arrogance is stupidity when it comes to the NFC North.  Of course, you embody that sentiment wholeheartedly.

You better hope this team can back up half your words this season, Jay Bee, especially with the prospect looming larger that the anchors of that talented defensive line will be sidelined for a quarter of the season because of what they chose to put in their bodies.  Things could get ugly for the Vikings early.

One thing is for sure though, this is shaping up to be one of the most intriguing seasons in our division ever, and I'm really, really looking forward to it.  Go Pack.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #285 on: August 19, 2009, 07:00:08 PM »
Haha.. I love the heavy feelings many of you 'Packer Backers' catch over Favre and your obvious jealousy of the Minnesota Vikings.  Dude is talking about Dom Capers in the early 90s... haha... hilarious. 

With the team we have this year, for the 2009 (2009-10 in our case) season, I would prefer to have Farve than Rodgers.  Your little team has who you would prefer, my stud dynasty-destined squad has who I would prefer.  Good luck. 

I'll remain more concerned about wins and losses, while you can concern yourself with a few more interceptions when comparing one QB to another, and trends you can make up regarding assistant coaches in a different era.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #286 on: August 19, 2009, 07:20:30 PM »
Haha.. I love the heavy feelings many of you 'Packer Backers' catch over Favre and your obvious jealousy of the Minnesota Vikings.  Dude is talking about Dom Capers in the early 90s... haha... hilarious. 

With the team we have this year, for the 2009 (2009-10 in our case) season, I would prefer to have Farve than Rodgers.  Your little team has who you would prefer, my stud dynasty-destined squad has who I would prefer.  Good luck. 

I'll remain more concerned about wins and losses, while you can concern yourself with a few more interceptions when comparing one QB to another, and trends you can make up regarding assistant coaches in a different era.

Me "obviously" jealous of the Minnesota Vikings?  The "hey! We have Brett Favre! everyone buy tickets!" Minnesota Vikings? The "storied history" Minnesota Vikings? The "love boat party" Minnesota Vikings? "Whizzinator" Minnesota Vikings? Daunte Culpepper "Get Your Roll On" Minnesota Vikings? Just because one of my favorite players of all time chose to be a dumbass during the epic slide that's occurring to end his career, make no mistake, I want nothing to do with this trashy franchise. Ever.

Oh, and you just referred to a Brad Childress-led team as "dynasty-destined."  And your "dynasty" is led by a soon-to-be 40 year old quarterback.  Exactly HOW delusional are you?  I don't mean to challenge your football knowledge but... I'm openly challenging your football knowledge. Ridiculous.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #287 on: August 19, 2009, 07:27:23 PM »
Peyton Manning didn't participate in training camp last year, and he was the MVP of the league.

To say that Brett Favre hasn't been working out is ridiculous, the man has been working out all offseason, thats why there has been so much speculation to him coming back, due to his offseason regiment.

The Vikings will win the NFC North, and lose in the playoffs, thats my .02 cents

Peyton is a whole other story all together.  If I'm not mistaken, he was on site for just about all team activities (only not participating) for a team that he's quarterbacked since 1998.  The difference would be if this was Peyton 7 years from now.  Playing in his first season with the Tennessee Titans.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #288 on: August 19, 2009, 08:05:25 PM »
Haha.. I love the heavy feelings many of you 'Packer Backers' catch over Favre and your obvious jealousy of the Minnesota Vikings.  Dude is talking about Dom Capers in the early 90s... haha... hilarious.  

With the team we have this year, for the 2009 (2009-10 in our case) season, I would prefer to have Farve than Rodgers.  Your little team has who you would prefer, my stud dynasty-destined squad has who I would prefer.  Good luck.  

HAHA!  Jay Bee, have you ever experienced your favorite football franchise winning a Super Bowl?  Your franchise hasn't seen a Conference Championship since 2000, and you lost FOURTY-ONE TO NOTHING!  You personally have never seen your team in a Super Bowl!  But you are correct, us Packer fans are EXTREMELY jealous of your unbelievable franchise!

Please define a dynasty.  Maybe you'll make it to the Wild Card round and bow out for the 2nd year in a row, what a great dynasty!  Although, I forgot, for the Viqueens, that is a dynasty.

You would rather have Favre than Rodgers?!  Last year's stats:
Aaron Rodgers: 4,038 yards, 63.6 completion %, 28 TD, 13 INT, 24 YEARS OLD (last year)
Brett Favre: 3,472 yards, 65.7 completion %, 22 TD, 22 INT, 39 YEARS OLD
Yeah, who would want Aaron Rodgers to lead their team over Brett Favre?  As PXI stated, your football knowledge is 100% being questioned by me, and should be by everyone else on MUScoop.

Haha not to mention the Vikings are making 1 player bigger than the whole franchise.  So Coach Childress, if Favre is going to play for you, he must be there for mini camp?  Oh, okay, mini camp's over, he's just now flying in, can you be the team bitch and go pick him up from our private jet that we're flying him in on?  HAHA what a push over!

When you consistently make the playoffs (like, more often than twice in the last 8 years...) then maybe you can talk about being more concerned about wins and losses than Packer fans.

And when you personally actually witness your beloved Viqueens in a Super Bowl (I'm not even saying you have to WIN it, just GET THERE), then you can start even CONSIDERING talking junk about the Packers (or even the Bears).  If the Lions weren't in the division you'd be the absolute laughing stock of the NFC North.

Once again, Jay Bee, you have proven to be the dumbest poster I've ever seen.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 08:07:26 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #289 on: August 19, 2009, 08:23:32 PM »
I'll admit the prospect of a healthy, committed Favre like we saw in '07 is a formidable opponent.

This is true, and his off season work out and conditioning heading into that season was well documented. Last off season not so much, and he stunk. This season nada, and anyone expecting results better than what they saw in '08 is fooling themselves. He's another year older, injured, and has not done the work necessary to off set that. Trust me, a few months from now, Viking fans are going to hate Brett Favre way more than they did a few years ago when he was whipping their a$$es as a Packer.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #290 on: August 19, 2009, 09:29:15 PM »

keep this post in mind around Thanksgiving and see how often Jay Bee talks about the position of his Vikes.

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #291 on: August 19, 2009, 10:26:26 PM »
No muwarrior, it's us who will be eating our words.  Favre will magically break out of his streak of late-season futility by finding the fountain of youth, which currently resides in Winter Park.

How else do you think Brad Childress maintains these boyish good looks?

::)

But seriously, Jay Bee, do you (or any other Vikings fans for that matter) think that Favre struggling to find his groove in December at ages 36, 37, 38, and 39, respectively, was merely a coincidence? That those four consecutive atrocious performances are just a matter of circumstance?

Good luck with that...

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #292 on: August 19, 2009, 11:47:35 PM »
Favre's contract is $10-12m.  So $2.4m of that is closer to 1/5th.  -- And remember, that's after only 24 hours.  Surely, that rate will go down, but say they hit $5m of extra ticket sales over the next month.  Not bad.

Techincally.... $12m 2009-2010; $13MM 2010-2011
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

LON

• All American
« Reply #293 on: August 20, 2009, 07:29:21 AM »
You guys aren't seeing one of the funniest things yet...they can't afford to pay Favre:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/19/favre-contract-highlights-cash-problems-in-minnesota/

It's only fitting that the Vikings had to go out and take GB's sloppy seconds (how'd Ferguson and Sharper work out?) again to sell their season tickets.  At least no more local blackouts!

Well, maybe it's the Vikings cash flows that break down at Week 8 and not Favre...

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #294 on: August 20, 2009, 08:04:23 AM »
You guys aren't seeing one of the funniest things yet...they can't afford to pay Favre:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/19/favre-contract-highlights-cash-problems-in-minnesota/

It's only fitting that the Vikings had to go out and take GB's sloppy seconds (how'd Ferguson and Sharper work out?) again to sell their season tickets.  At least no more local blackouts!

Well, maybe it's the Vikings cash flows that break down at Week 8 and not Favre...

Of course, when the Vikes win the SB with Favre, their cash flow problems will improve.  ;)

As for "sloppy seconds" .. uh, Sharper worked out just fine, 4 years with the Vikings earning 2 pro-bowls.  Oh, and then there's Ryan Longwell.

LON

• All American
« Reply #295 on: August 20, 2009, 08:09:50 AM »
Of course, when the Vikes win the SB with Favre, their cash flow problems will improve.  ;)

As for "sloppy seconds" .. uh, Sharper worked out just fine, 4 years with the Vikings earning 2 pro-bowls.  Oh, and then there's Ryan Longwell.

You overpaid for Sharper (he was still playing at a high level but in the decline in his career).

You definitely overpaid for Longwell but I guess you can't really complain with his results.

What, this is a rivalry, you want all facts?!?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #296 on: August 20, 2009, 08:30:19 AM »

But seriously, Jay Bee, do you (or any other Vikings fans for that matter) think that Favre struggling to find his groove in December at ages 36, 37, 38, and 39, respectively, was merely a coincidence? That those four consecutive atrocious performances are just a matter of circumstance?

Good luck with that...

John Dodds...will have you...banned for this
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

tower912

• All American
« Reply #297 on: August 20, 2009, 08:39:19 AM »
Go Lions!   Possibly the most improved team in the league! ;D ;D ;D ;D (one for each pre-season competitive game)
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

LON

• All American
« Reply #298 on: August 20, 2009, 09:39:57 AM »
Go Lions!   Possibly the most improved team in the league! ;D ;D ;D ;D (one for each pre-season competitive game)

The Lions went 4-0 in preseason last year.

Just sayin'...  ;)

reinko

• All American
« Reply #299 on: August 20, 2009, 09:56:48 AM »

I agree, the Lions will improve there win total by 400% this year.  Will be by far the biggest jump in the NFL.

feedback