collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Seriously Kane - WTF?!  (Read 4200 times)

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
Seriously Kane - WTF?!
« on: August 10, 2009, 08:33:50 AM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4387102

To summarize...
The world now knows Patrick Kane is a bad tipper.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: Seriously Kane - WTF?!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 08:36:59 AM »
He made the front page of both Chicago papers!

While it's not as good as "No Tippin Pippin",  "20 Cent" makes for a good nickname

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 09:33:33 AM »
Assuming this story doesn't change at all in the next few days, what sort of action do you think the NHL should take for this crime? After the way Bettman came down on Avery for his comments about Cuthbert, an indefinite suspension does not seem out of the question.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 11:55:59 AM »
The cabbie's lawyer has came out and said it wasn't that big of a deal.  I'm thinking there was a payoff haha.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
Was alcohol involved?
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 12:20:27 PM »
True story: was living in Chicago the summer before law school started (right above the Sports Corner). One night about 1 a.m., three of my friends buzz me from downstairs and say let us in. No problem, I let them up.  About 15 minutes later 2 of Chicago's finest buzz and say they had a report of 3 people jumping out of a cab and failing to pay.

The cab driver wanted 15.00. I gave him a 20, cops left, no report.

LON

• All American
Re: Was alcohol involved?
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 02:50:39 PM »
True story: was living in Chicago the summer before law school started (right above the Sports Corner). One night about 1 a.m., three of my friends buzz me from downstairs and say let us in. No problem, I let them up.  About 15 minutes later 2 of Chicago's finest buzz and say they had a report of 3 people jumping out of a cab and failing to pay.

The cab driver wanted 15.00. I gave him a 20, cops left, no report.

That's a pretty low-class move on their part, kudos to you though.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 06:09:11 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4387102

To summarize...
The world now knows Patrick Kane is a bad tipper.

From the Hawks beat writer.

Reports today indicate the situation might have escalated after Radecki refused to unlock the doors of the cab until he had been paid. That's a common practice with some drivers to ensure passengers don't run off without paying.

During Kane's rookie season in 2007, the then 18-year-old was with his Hawks teammates in Detroit for a game against the Red Wings. I was staying in the same hotel as the team and a few hours before game time jumped into a cab and asked the driver to take me to Joe Louis Arena. After hearing my destination, the driver told me he'd just had a Hawks player in the cab and mentioned what a great guy the player was and that he had given the driver $50 for a $10 cab ride.

He then showed me the autograph the player had given him and it read: "Show me the money! (signed) Patrick Kane"

Irony aside, this certainly doesn't absolve Kane of any wrong-doing in Sunday's incident, but in my mind should help put to rest the notion that the altercation was because Kane, who as a rookie wasn't yet making millions of dollars but still gave the driver in Detroit a $40 tip, was too cheap to pay Radecki or tip him or that Kane disrespects working men and women such as cab drivers.

Obviously, either Kane's attitude toward cab drivers has changed, or something else happened on that street in the wee hours in Buffalo and until Kane speaks publicly about it (he hasn't returned several messages I've left) we won't know his side of things.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 01:53:34 PM »
I'm breathing some life into this thread with the recent developments.

I am utterly confused by the people that say the driver is in the most wrong for locking the doors until he got payment.  While this has never happened to me, I feel like violence would be far from the first thing that comes to my mind when a driver would rather me pay him before I got out of the cab.

What are your guys' thoughts?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 02:38:14 PM »
I'm breathing some life into this thread with the recent developments.

I am utterly confused by the people that say the driver is in the most wrong for locking the doors until he got payment.  While this has never happened to me, I feel like violence would be far from the first thing that comes to my mind when a driver would rather me pay him before I got out of the cab.

What are your guys' thoughts?

If I'm detained against my will, for any reason, I'd call the cops.

If I weren't smart and I were built like a pro athlete I could see how I could end up punching someone in the face a couple times.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 02:40:41 PM »
I thought this thread was going to be about the WWF wrestler... can we change it to be about him?

KANE!!!!!
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 03:24:15 PM »
If I'm detained against my will, for any reason, I'd call the cops.

If I weren't smart and I were built like a pro athlete I could see how I could end up punching someone in the face a couple times.

See I agree with that, assuming the cabbie kept them for any length of time after payment had been received.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 04:14:03 PM »
See I agree with that, assuming the cabbie kept them for any length of time after payment had been received.

It's a fairly common practice among cab drivers when taking home drunk 20 somethings.  My best guess on what happened.

Drunk NHL star and friend get in cab.
Cab drives them to there destination.
Cabbie locks door and asks for payment.
Drunk NHL Star, plays, "don't you know who I am" card.
Cabbie says no.
Drunk NHL star responds, I am Patrick effin' Kane.
Cabbie responds, I don't care, give me my 19.50.
Drunk NHL star throws $20 at cabbie.
Cabbie unlocks door, and drunk NHL star and friend get out start berating the cabbie for the missing .50.
Cabbie tells them to eff themselves.
Drunk NHL Star and friend throw down.

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 04:24:08 PM »
It's a fairly common practice among cab drivers when taking home drunk 20 somethings.  My best guess on what happened.

Drunk NHL star and friend get in cab.
Cab drives them to there destination.
Cabbie locks door and asks for payment.
Drunk NHL Star, plays, "don't you know who I am" card.
Cabbie says no.
Drunk NHL star responds, I am Patrick effin' Kane.
Cabbie responds, I don't care, give me my 19.50.
Drunk NHL star throws $20 at cabbie.
Cabbie unlocks door, and drunk NHL star and friend get out start berating the cabbie for the missing .50.
Cabbie tells them to eff themselves.
Drunk NHL Star and friend throw down.

That sounds about right.  

If I were drunk and the cabbie was a punk I wouldn't want to tip him.  If I didn't get my change I'd be pissed as hell especially after getting the doors locked on me.

I could see one of them having to piss real bad and the locking of the doors could have infringed on that act, or worse yet made one pee their own pants.  That would prompt a good punch in the face and the taking back of money--if one was inebriated and not thinking of course.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 04:33:00 PM by pillardean »
Marquette University, Spring '08