Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 5/15/24  (Read 8601279 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 9/15/19
« Reply #20450 on: September 17, 2019, 09:29:51 PM »
Listen sunshine...here's the deal...let's say MU only has one scholarship to give yet..and it's between Osa and Garcia...Are you telling me you're going to take Osa, just because he'd commit first, or are you going to wait another month or two and see what Garcia does.

I will dumb this down for you(and others) even more...let's say you have this cute girl that is interested in you and is willing to commit to you...however, you also know that this really hot chick is possibly obtainable, but she isn't ready to commit to you yet, but she is definitely interested. Now, sure, you can "settle" for the cute chick, that is a wonderful chick in her own right, but you also know the one you REALLY want and the one you'd be happiest with is the really hot chick that's interested in you.

You can "take" the cute chick right now because she wants you and is ready to commit, but that possibly takes you out of the running for the hot chick. However, if you wait until the hot chick is ready to commit, you might end up getting exactly what you want, and if you don't ultimately end up with her, what have you lost?? There's other "cute" chicks that would commit to you. Or, you could just stay single for awhile, wait things out and perhaps land another "hot" chick later on after she breaks up with her previous boyfriend. Seems like a no brainer to me, but...of course no one would agree with me, because well...that would go against everything anyone believes in even though the analogy is 100% SPOT on.  ;)

Terrible analogy. Especially when you factor in the potential reaction a friend, let's call him Guru, cheering from the sidelines would have when the cute girl that would've committed for years goes elsewhere and then that friend started flipping out when you're left with a girl with a good personality but you're hoping she hits up a gym.

Then continuing on that same terrible analogy. The hot girl you land could slum it with you but then next year she's gone and you have nobody to replace them except maybe a younger inexperienced cute girl who you same friend named Guru will still be flipping out about their inexperience. w\Whereas the cute girl would've stayed with you for years, developed with you and been friends with all the current girlfriends.

At the end of the day a bird in hand is worth two in the bush became a wise saying for a reason.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #20451 on: September 17, 2019, 09:30:23 PM »
Of course YOU think that, why wouldn't you?? Where in the history of these message boards have you EVER admitted you have been wrong about anything?? You haven't..that's weird.

I have.

And you were proven wrong on this very topic today YET insist you are right. Talk about weird.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muguru

• All American
« Reply #20452 on: September 17, 2019, 09:32:02 PM »

You've actually made yourself look even more obtuse with this response, which was not an easy achievement.  Let me try to explain something to you in the simplest of ways, which likely won't be enough.

Marquette has MORE THAN ONE scholarship to give.  Your ridiculous "cute chick/hot chick" comparison is not remotely relevant.  A top 75 player that they've recruited hard, and wouldn't make Garcia redundant, wanted to commit.  Garcia hadn't even cut his list to 7.  You take that player in those circumstances 100 percent of the time. 

This is not a difficult concept whatsoever yet you somehow fail to grasp it.  Everyone else here is wrong but you're right again though, huh?

Oh I 100% get it it's everyone else that doesn't. What would happen if sometime later on it came out that Garcia didn't come to MU because of the other bigs that they brought in. Not because he felt like he wasn't better then them but because MU told him he was their priority and by HIS thinking, taking other commits from bigs(even though different types of players), he didn't feel like a priority anymore. I promise you if this scenario played out, MANY would all of a sudden reverse course and agree that maybe MU should have waited. Funny how that works, huh??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #20453 on: September 17, 2019, 09:32:57 PM »
In all seriousness though,  why would Osa effect Dawson? I thought that Osa was a couple inches shorter, about 25 lbs lighter and a much better ball handler.  Having seen neither of them play I've kinda been imagining a Juan and Teve comparison (at least in body types). I know Garcia is supposed to have a sweet touch, but it's not exactly like we only ever have one front court player.  Anyone who's seen them, or has a meaningful response, please provide a little insight.  Why wouldn't they be able to play together?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20454 on: September 17, 2019, 09:33:19 PM »
How do you know it DIDN'T happen that way??

Because Osa committed and we are in Dawson's top-7.

Scenario 1 or 2? Or are you afraid to answer a simple question?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #20455 on: September 17, 2019, 09:34:16 PM »
Terrible analogy. Especially when you factor in the potential reaction a friend, let's call him Guru, cheering from the sidelines would have when the cute girl that would've committed for years goes elsewhere and then that friend started flipping out when you're left with a girl with a good personality but you're hoping she hits up a gym.

Then continuing on that same terrible analogy. The hot girl you land could slum it with you but then next year she's gone and you have nobody to replace them except maybe a younger inexperienced cute girl who you same friend named Guru will still be flipping out about their inexperience. w\Whereas the cute girl would've stayed with you for years, developed with you and been friends with all the current girlfriends.

At the end of the day a bird in hand is worth two in the bush became a wise saying for a reason.

I love how people make assumptions how I would react to certain things...go back and look, I have been VERY supportive of Wojo lately, and I have said he has done a good job so far bringing in Lewis and Osa. I'm happy with it. What more do you want me to say??

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #20456 on: September 17, 2019, 09:35:45 PM »
Checks recruiting thread...........what a stupid idea........what was I thinking?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #20457 on: September 17, 2019, 09:37:04 PM »

I love how people make assumptions how I would react to certain things...

Ironic that you say this minutes after you posted:

“I promise you if this scenario played out, MANY would all of a sudden reverse course and agree that maybe MU should have waited.”
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #20458 on: September 17, 2019, 09:39:18 PM »

I love how people make assumptions how I would react to certain things...go back and look, I have been VERY supportive of Wojo lately, and I have said he has done a good job so far bringing in Lewis and Osa. I'm happy with it. What more do you want me to say??

Guru we make assumptions because you've posted your reactions on many an occasion. Upset about how MU doesn't land enough 5 stars, then not enough top 100s, but then too many low 100s then not enough diamond in the roughs. These are all things you've made long winded rants about. So we have evidence that suggests how you'd react when we would lose Garcia and end up with a 100-200 project player (especially if they weren't the next Morant). People make those assumptions because given previous data you have provided for us we can project what your reaction would be.

That being said you have been more happy than not toward Wojo as of late and certainly as "positive" as we can expect of you shy of winning a national championship on an undefeated season with all five stars and one lottery pick unheralded player on our roster.
Maigh Eo for Sam

muguru

• All American
« Reply #20459 on: September 17, 2019, 09:40:49 PM »
Because Osa committed and we are in Dawson's top-7.

Scenario 1 or 2? Or are you afraid to answer a simple question?

Not afraid at all...I'm 100% waiting for Garcia in your scenario. EVERY SINGLE time. Now you answer a question, what would be the harm in waiting for Garcia if it came down to it. You lose Osa, but end up landing Garcia, wasn't that well worth it then?? And if you end up with neither, isn't it also logical to assume that you can LIKELY land a player via transfer, or via scholarship later that can be just as good as Osa potentially could be?? How are you worse off then??

It's like making an investment...you take a risk, you're going to lose some from time to time, but eventually in all likelihood, if you're patient, you will be glad you waited and now you're seeing your portfolio grow, all because...you were patent and didn't make a knee jerk reaction right away and took a sure thing, and bet on something bigger coming down the road. It paid off.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #20460 on: September 17, 2019, 09:41:09 PM »
Checks recruiting thread...........what a stupid idea........what was I thinking?

I get it Mark.

Always the 1st thread I check every day - but GURU is ruining the experience. Every one of us knows what he thinks because he says it over and over, ad nauseum.

Can only pray he just goes away. Soon!!

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #20461 on: September 17, 2019, 09:42:32 PM »
Not afraid at all...I'm 100% waiting for Garcia in your scenario. EVERY SINGLE time. Now you answer a question, what would be the harm in waiting for Garcia if it came down to it. You lose Osa, but end up landing Garcia, wasn't that well worth it then?? And if you end up with neither, isn't it also logical to assume that you can LIKELY land a player via transfer, or via scholarship later that can be just as good as Osa potentially could be?? How are you worse off then??

It's like making an investment...you take a risk, you're going to lose some from time to time, but eventually in all likelihood, if you're patient, you will be glad you waited and now you're seeing your portfolio grow, all because...you were patent and didn't make a knee jerk reaction right away and took a sure thing, and bet on something bigger coming down the road. It paid off.

Please... please, just go away so the rest of us can enjoy this thread again!

muguru

• All American
« Reply #20462 on: September 17, 2019, 09:56:56 PM »

Please... please, just go away so the rest of us can enjoy this thread again!

You blame me, but it's people that attack me the second i post things that let the thread spiral out of control. What's wrong with just not replying to me?? That would seem to be a pretty easy thing to do, wouldn't you agree?? I don't respond to most things I read here, but when I get attacked, you're damn right I'm going to respond. People hate being wrong, I get it, but they don't need to respond to every single thing I say, THAT'S what ruins it. Sometimes, people just need to take their lumps quietly and move on. I'd LOVE to get this back on recruiting. I posted my thoughts, others jumped on me, blame them, NOT me. And don;t tell me what to do please. Thank you.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20463 on: September 17, 2019, 09:59:33 PM »
Not afraid at all...I'm 100% waiting for Garcia in your scenario. EVERY SINGLE time.

That's not an option. These are the options:

Scenario 1: 100% Osa / 14.3% Dawson
Scenario 2: 0% Osa / 14.3% Dawson

1 or 2?

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #20464 on: September 17, 2019, 10:07:36 PM »
where is the ignore button? 

« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 10:18:06 PM by 94Warrior »

muguru

• All American
« Reply #20465 on: September 17, 2019, 10:08:34 PM »
That's not an option. These are the options:

1 or 2?

2....I will take the 14% chance, because to me it's simple...as I said earlier about it's like an investment..If i take the 14% Garcia, and the 0% Osa, I will be betting on, the bigger prize coming my way...and even if I'm wrong, well, I am also betting on being able to recoup what I lost on the sure thing(Osa) by being able to find an investment just as good or better at some point down the line. And...let's for argument's sake say that as of now the 14% you list are the ACTUAL odds you have of getting Garcia(and that is just based on math by narrowing it to 7), but what if that's how he is actually handicapping it that way.."Mu has about a 14% chance of landing me now". What if those odds were 90%+ BEFORE the Osa commit, then what??

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20466 on: September 17, 2019, 10:12:24 PM »
Why are people trying to carry out a conversation with the guy? He’s either trolling and is the smart one or he’s entirely incompetent. Either way it’s not worth the absurd effort it takes to have an unfathomably stupid debate with the guy.

Any time I see guru has posted twice or more in a 4 or 5 post span I just start scrolling through because I know it’s going to be hardly literate, circular arguments for pages and pages. Not a single good thing comes from engaging in a guru internet argument. At least there’s some entertainment in getting into a good internet fight with some posters on here. There’s none of that at all in doing it with guru.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 10:15:15 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

muguru

• All American
« Reply #20467 on: September 17, 2019, 10:12:29 PM »

Profile-Modify profile-Buddies/ignore list. Happy to help.  :)

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #20468 on: September 17, 2019, 10:15:31 PM »
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Lol guru never went to MU and obviously missed MUs mandatory logic classes
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #20469 on: September 17, 2019, 10:16:01 PM »
Why are people trying to carry out a conversation with the guy? He’s either trolling and is the smart one or he’s entirely incompetent. Either way it’s not worth the absurd effort it takes to have an unfashionably stupid debate with the guy.

Because people hate being wrong, they get defensive, and then they feel the need to try to prove themselves right..It's human nature .But, I agree with you, I have no clue why people are so obsessed with responding to me all the time..They have thoughts/opinions as do I. Sometimes, they're wrong, sometimes I'm wrong. The big difference is, I'm willing to admit when I am, maybe if others were willing to do the same, these discussions wouldn't end up happening. To me it's that simple. 

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #20470 on: September 17, 2019, 10:17:36 PM »
This is the smartest thing I have seen posted in the last few pages...thank you lighthouse. It seems most just sit here and froth at the mouth waiting for me to post so they can rip it to shreds. It's a VERY weird obsession they have. As the saying goes, when you can't attack the message, attack the messenger. That's EXACTLY what's on display here. Let's get back to talking recruiting.

Sorry guru, but most people stare at a dumpster fire
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #20471 on: September 17, 2019, 10:18:17 PM »

Never mind, I found it.  Now please stop quoting muguru, and others like him.  The back and forth is exhausting and not what I come here to see.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #20472 on: September 17, 2019, 10:18:28 PM »
Lol guru never went to MU and obviously missed MUs mandatory logic classes

You make my point, if you learned your spelling and grammar at MU, you sure wasted a lot of money. Although, to your credit, you have made some improvements on that lately...good job. Now your lack of knowledge and logic...that hasn't improved much, but keep working at it, you'll get there. Have a good night.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20473 on: September 17, 2019, 10:18:31 PM »
Because people hate being wrong, they get defensive, and then they feel the need to try to prove themselves right..It's human nature

Ladies and gentlemen, I present Exhibit A.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20474 on: September 17, 2019, 10:19:39 PM »
All I can say is, "Wow."

And ...

Any new recruiting news?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback