Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024?  (Read 1063637 times)

FairWeatherEagle

• Team Captain
Re: So....What are we ranked on Monday - 2/26/2024?
« Reply #6375 on: February 27, 2024, 10:38:17 AM »
A long time ago I said we could tolerate only 1 more loss to get a 1 seed (that happened at UCONN).
we'll be a three seed if we lose to CR and UC and don't make the BET final.
Everything else is 2-seed... Providing all other games are wins of course.
Final thought, It does depend on how others play but I got to believe some other 6-loss will play well down the stretch.
I know that worst 1 vs best 2 is nominally important but it would be nice.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #6376 on: February 27, 2024, 10:41:42 AM »
A long time ago I said we could tolerate only 1 more loss to get a 1 seed (that happened at UCONN).
Everything else is 2-seed... Providing all other games are wins of course.
Final thought, It does depend on how others play but I got to believe some other 6-loss will play well down the stretch.
I know that worst 1 vs best 2 is nominally important but it would be nice.

Bolded contradicts the rest of your post.  MU games don't occur in a vacuum.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6377 on: February 27, 2024, 12:13:33 PM »

No not necessarily.

Final thought, It does depend on how others play

This is correct.

At this point,  Iowa State is the only team I think could leapfrog us if we go 2-2 and make the BET semis. They stumble in their last four and we are probably sitting pretty,  not even accounting for the possibility of another 2 seed falling apart. Maybe Alabama could do it if they win out.  Maybe Duke too but I'm skyrocket they would. Just not enough opportunities for good wins
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Pepe Sylvia

• Team Captain
« Reply #6378 on: February 27, 2024, 12:34:34 PM »
I'm not sure how much what others do matter for the 1-seed if we win out. As it stands right now they'd get 6 more Q1 wins in @xavier,  UConn, @ Creighton, @ StJ (likely 7-10 team winner), neutral creighton and neutral UConn. They'd be sitting 12-5 in Q1 with a net in the top ten. Easier said than done, and i haven't crunched the numbers fully, but I don't think Zona or UNC would even have the opportunity for that many Q1. Gotta earn it on the court either way.
twitterx: @HBOCEOofTits

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6379 on: February 27, 2024, 06:28:54 PM »
I'm not sure how much what others do matter for the 1-seed if we win out. As it stands right now they'd get 6 more Q1 wins in @xavier,  UConn, @ Creighton, @ StJ (likely 7-10 team winner), neutral creighton and neutral UConn. They'd be sitting 12-5 in Q1 with a net in the top ten. Easier said than done, and i haven't crunched the numbers fully, but I don't think Zona or UNC would even have the opportunity for that many Q1. Gotta earn it on the court either way.

If we win out, Arizona has no shot at a 1-seed. UNC or Tennessee would be in the mix with us if they also won out.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #6380 on: February 28, 2024, 10:14:01 AM »

We’re also very close to adding 2 more Q1 wins of Nova home and Texas.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #6381 on: February 28, 2024, 10:35:27 AM »

We’re also very close to adding 2 more Q1 wins of Nova home and Texas.

The problem is that most of the teams near us are in similar situations.

Colorado and Wash St are close to Q1 for Zona (would add a Q1 win and take away a Q2 loss for them)

NC State is close to Q1 for UNC, and GT is close to Q2 (Would add a Q1 win and move their worst loss from Q3 to Q2)

Kansas has also beaten UT at home and WVU is close to Q2 (Would add a Q1 win and move their worst loss from Q3 to Q2)

Fine margins all around for sure.  ND has solidified themselves as a solid Q3 win (rather than Q4). UCLA is certainly leaving it late if they're actually going to make the jump up to Q2. St. Thomas has slid down to Q4 (man, the margin of victory in that one is really not looking great).

Just gotta let the chips fall where they may.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

The Thing

• Team Captain
Re: So....What are we ranked on Monday - 3/4/2024?
« Reply #6382 on: February 28, 2024, 01:29:24 PM »
I just love it that we have a team and coach where we are concerned with our 2 seed and how to potentially get to a 1 vs being on the bubble and worrying about how we make the tourney!!

Love this team and heading up to Milwaukee to watch them throttle Providence tonight.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6383 on: February 28, 2024, 01:54:37 PM »
I just love it that we have a team and coach where we are concerned with our 2 seed and how to potentially get to a 1 vs being on the bubble and worrying about how we make the tourney!!

Amen. Three years ago today MU was fresh off a loss to UConn the previous day and 2-7 in the preceding nine Big East games (including a home loss to DePaul). MU would avenge that loss to DePaul and beat Xavier in Senior Day before bowing out to Georgetown in the first round of the Big East tournament to end the season.

And now we've got fans -- including myself -- who are a little disappointed by the thought of a 2 seed (for a second consecutive year) and a little disappointed with a #5 national ranking. Faced with success that was damn near unimaginable just three years ago, expectations are so high that there is a low-key feeling that this team is under achieving. Holy sh*t, times have changed.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #6384 on: February 28, 2024, 01:54:46 PM »

Love this team and heading up to Milwaukee to watch them throttle Providence tonight.

Amen!

FairWeatherEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #6385 on: February 28, 2024, 02:02:40 PM »

This is so true !

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #6386 on: February 28, 2024, 04:15:16 PM »
Amen. Three years ago today MU was fresh off a loss to UConn the previous day and 2-7 in the preceding nine Big East games (including a home loss to DePaul). MU would avenge that loss to DePaul and beat Xavier in Senior Day before bowing out to Georgetown in the first round of the Big East tournament to end the season.

And now we've got fans -- including myself -- who are a little disappointed by the thought of a 2 seed (for a second consecutive year) and a little disappointed with a #5 national ranking. Faced with success that was damn near unimaginable just three years ago, expectations are so high that there is a low-key feeling that this team is under achieving. Holy sh*t, times have changed.

Exactly!  Call me a member of COLE, but I'm pretty satisfied at the moment, even if we get a 2 seed.  Where we've come and our new expectations are insane (to our 3 year ago selves)!

FairWeatherEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #6387 on: March 02, 2024, 03:54:13 PM »
I don't see a big move with CR loss. seed same ranking TBA but with KU loss , AZ win , and others holding serve, maybe 8.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #6388 on: March 02, 2024, 04:01:56 PM »
I don't see a big move with CR loss. seed same ranking TBA but with KU loss , AZ win , and others holding serve, maybe 8.

I am hoping that most of the voters will know that our two best players were out and that we held Creighton to basically even for 36 minutes, and take that into consideration when they vote.
Have some patience, FFS.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #6389 on: March 02, 2024, 04:59:33 PM »
I am hoping that most of the voters will know that our two best players were out and that we held Creighton to basically even for 36 minutes, and take that into consideration when they vote.

I doubt that they will do that, but "I am hoping" also. I think the voters will mostly look at the final score and knock us down. Considering other factors (beyond road/home win/loss) is probably not something they do.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #6390 on: March 02, 2024, 04:59:55 PM »

Not likely that very many pay attention to that or care.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #6391 on: March 02, 2024, 05:22:27 PM »
Goal is National Championship

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6392 on: March 02, 2024, 05:40:34 PM »
I doubt that they will do that, but "I am hoping" also. I think the voters will mostly look at the final score and knock us down. Considering other factors (beyond road/home win/loss) is probably not something they do.

Maybe. But we have gotten a ton of respect from voters all season. I guess this will be a good test of that.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6393 on: March 02, 2024, 05:42:00 PM »
You will be able to tell who watched the game and who just saw the final.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #6394 on: March 02, 2024, 05:49:58 PM »
Some of the voters just follow closely enough to know what the personnel situation waw.

Johnny B

• All American

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #6397 on: March 02, 2024, 06:23:41 PM »
You will be able to tell who watched the game and who just saw the final.

Or who played golf instead of watching the game today, like some lowlife golfers here.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #6398 on: March 02, 2024, 06:39:35 PM »
Probably only drop one spot.

Main ranking that matters at this point is staying ahead of Illinois and Creighton on the S Curve to hold on to Indy, which is no cakewalk.

Kikito MU89

• Walk-On
« Reply #6399 on: March 03, 2024, 03:25:47 PM »

feedback