collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: alleged sexual assault investigation of 4 on 1 by public saftey  (Read 103347 times)

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
Re: alleged sexual assault investigation of 4 on 1 by public saftey
« Reply #150 on: March 29, 2011, 11:55:19 AM »
So, based on your sources, is this just all about something that was "said"? Because that would be a huuuuge relief.

I agree, we've all said stupid things, especially at a party and/or while drunk.

yeah
Notice how little has been said of this story after the initial report? A half decent investigative reporter that doesnt ask some jackass student on the street what they think may have seen the MU Public Safety reports and been able to determine the story had peaked. Everything I understand indicates that this is more "harassment" than "assault"

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #151 on: March 29, 2011, 12:03:36 PM »
what's the assumption? that from a PR standpoint it looks bad to have athletes represented at an in house MU investigation by the area's most prominent and wealthy defense attorney who also is an MU athletics booster? thats not assumption. thats just how it looks to every non-MU human being on the planet at first glance.

No, the leap to an NCAA violation that was made by the poster.  That MU may have done it thinking it would not get out in the public eye, thusly "getting away" with something.  Then saying it stinks.  Sorry, but without facts, that's quite an indicting comment that was made.  And yes, without any supportive fact to level an accusation.

The premise of his post had NOTHING to do with the PR aspect.  Did you even read the post?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 12:05:37 PM by MUMac »

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #152 on: March 29, 2011, 12:10:11 PM »
The athletic department knows what is and what isn't a NCAA violation.  If Boyle was involved it wasn't a violation.  They know what they are doing.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #153 on: March 29, 2011, 12:11:06 PM »
You do realize that there are plenty of other men on the Marquette campus that treat women like absolute garbage as well, right?  It's a problem that's not just confined to athletes (if it's even basketball players we're talking about here), but a lot of males on any college campus. 

Nothing slimier than a college age male.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #154 on: March 29, 2011, 12:12:32 PM »
The athletic department knows what is and what isn't a NCAA violation.  If Boyle was involved it wasn't a violation.  They know what they are doing.

Exactly.  That is why that comment - in a couple of posts, no less, was mind boggling. 

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #155 on: March 29, 2011, 12:15:12 PM »

Hmmm...Tom Crean

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #156 on: March 29, 2011, 12:16:48 PM »

Completely agree. We have to have some faith in the athletic department. I would hope they would have a much better idea of what is and what isn't a violation than we would.

I'm hopeful that at worst it is some form of harassment (not saying that should be condoned or anything, but I think a lot of us went straight to the worst case scenario). Like Ari said, if this thing had any legs, it would be a much bigger deal by now. If it was something real bad, then I feel that something would have leaked to the media throughout the 5 months. Honestly, I'm surprised even if it is nothing that something hadn't been leaked to the media through the 5 months.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #157 on: March 29, 2011, 12:33:54 PM »
Hmmm...Tom Crean

Hmmm...Tom Crean.  Fixed.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #158 on: March 29, 2011, 12:37:13 PM »
No, the leap to an NCAA violation that was made by the poster.  That MU may have done it thinking it would not get out in the public eye, thusly "getting away" with something.  Then saying it stinks.  Sorry, but without facts, that's quite an indicting comment that was made.  And yes, without any supportive fact to level an accusation.

The premise of his post had NOTHING to do with the PR aspect.  Did you even read the post?

kum see kum sah. the post you directly responded to didnt explicitly mention NCAA violations either. it just said that it would have made sense for Boyle to be a little less direct in the involvement of the whole thing. I merely agreed that it certainly stinks at first glance - i read stinks to mean it just doesnt smell right.  
I also agreed that I find it likely that if Boyle had to be paid to not be a violation, the guys wouldn't have been able or willing to afford his retainer for an insular MU investigation.  Most here are right to point out though that the threshold for a violation is whether he can do it for free or not. I doubt Boyle would even have taken the case from the guys for pay, because you'd just be inviting an overly thorough investigation of his billing practices as it relates to the matter.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #159 on: March 29, 2011, 12:43:59 PM »
You guys are all making the assumption that whoever made the allegation had all her faculties. By the same token as "Nothing slimier than a college age male" you can also say, "There is nothing nuttier than a (college age) female."

Some of you need to REALLY get a grip! This is a nothing story!

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #160 on: March 29, 2011, 12:44:44 PM »
The last news article about this story appears to have come out 17 hours ago.  While I wouldn't discount the story completely dying, it seems to me if Ari's info is correct, then this is going to maybe devolve from a major Milwaukee news story to an oddball Deadspin story sooner than we think.  

It also seems that some of the major Milwaukee media guys I would suspect to jump at a story like this (Mark Belling and WSSP guys) have poo-pooed this so far.  Should be interesting to watch the news cycle the next day or two and how these types report on this (if at all).
The General has taken on a new command.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #161 on: March 29, 2011, 12:56:07 PM »
I've spoken to some sources in local media and I have been able to find out some information on this event.

In all honesty, this story seems like it has been blown way out of proportion because/therefore people are expecting the worst. Think disney version of Duke LaX

Yes I know there are people on this board who have daughters and think that "boys will be boys" is a terrible way to put things, but remember we were all college guys once and we've all said some stupid things that we thought were funny at the time.

As for Boyle's presence- I thought MU kept him on retainer and would rep MU players regardless. A traffic ticket or off campus incident.. Boyle would still be involved.

rocky's edit - judicial removal of "rumors" from "media sources".

Unfortunately or fortunately, (depending how you view things) the world is a way different place.  One person's joke is another person's harassment. 

A lot of what I'm hearing concurs with what one of the reports said last night...not sexual assault but yes a violation of harassment policy.  Certainly a better conclusion if this is what comes to pass.  Doesn't make it right, but agree also that we say stupid things.  Hate hearing that their names are on the incident report, bad for the university. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #162 on: March 29, 2011, 01:03:32 PM »
You guys are all making the assumption that whoever made the allegation had all her faculties. By the same token as "Nothing slimier than a college age male" you can also say, "There is nothing nuttier than a (college age) female."

Unfortunately the Milwaukee press disagree as it was one of the top stories on the newscasts last night.  "Nothing story" may be right in reality, but perception often trumps that.  Unfortunate that it came to this and the young woman, DPS, MU, etc couldn't keep the investigation private.  She (or her family) obviously doesn't feel that enough progress was made.  This is also why I brought up the "do you have daughters" comment yesterday.  Fathers of their "precious little girls" sometimes push very hard on this stuff and don't often think their daughters could ever possibly be in a state where all her faculties were blurred or dulled in some fashion.  Also a reality among some folks.  Not saying that is in play here but who knows.  We've all seen parents that believe their child never did anything wrong EVER and will fight the principal, the coach, the administrator at every turn. 

Horace

• Walk-On
« Reply #163 on: March 29, 2011, 01:32:58 PM »
Edit; Changed my mind  . . .

« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 01:38:17 PM by Horace »

reinko

• All American
« Reply #164 on: March 29, 2011, 01:38:58 PM »

Oh c'mon, let's us be the judge of that.  You can do it.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #165 on: March 29, 2011, 01:45:12 PM »

Wise choice.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #166 on: March 29, 2011, 01:47:01 PM »
When this is over, assuming there are no charges filed, I have the most inappropriate joke ever.    Driving me nuts, but to use it now would be just plain wrong.    So, again, let justice be done. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #167 on: March 29, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »
You guys are all making the assumption that whoever made the allegation had all her faculties. By the same token as "Nothing slimier than a college age male" you can also say, "There is nothing nuttier than a (college age) female who hangs around college basketball/football players."

Fixed.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Warrior3211

• Scholarship Player
Four Male Athletes Accused of Sexual Assault in Humphrey Hall
« Reply #168 on: March 29, 2011, 02:12:30 PM »
This story broke via the Journal Sentinel. How has a thread for this news not been started? It happened last October and the girl is just now reporting it.  Obviously the most likely suspects are members of the basketball team since they all live in Humphrey Hall.  Also, did the girl wait until basketball season was over to release the information?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 02:19:44 PM by rocky_warrior »

spacecrusader

• Walk-On
Re: Four Male Athletes Accused of Sexual Assault in Humphrey Hall
« Reply #169 on: March 29, 2011, 02:14:02 PM »
See the Superbar

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #170 on: March 29, 2011, 02:17:01 PM »
Hate hearing that their names are on the incident report, bad for the university. 

Where did you find this incident report? Is it a public document?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Four Male Athletes Accused of Sexual Assault in Humphrey Hall
« Reply #171 on: March 29, 2011, 02:20:54 PM »
This story broke via the Journal Sentinel. How has a thread for this news not been started? It happened last October and the girl is just now reporting it.  Obviously the most likely suspects are members of the basketball team since they all live in Humphrey Hall.  Also, did the girl wait until basketball season was over to release the information?

Merged it with the existing thread.  Also, removed names from your post, as that's inappropriate speculation at this point.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #172 on: March 29, 2011, 02:23:14 PM »
Where did you find this incident report? Is it a public document?

any time public safety investigages there's going to be an incident report.  I probably have 15 on file somewhere.  doesn't mean that I committed any crimes.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #173 on: March 29, 2011, 02:31:07 PM »
Once at Carpenter Hall we had a penny war between the floors.  The third floor (an all girls floor who we disliked) won it and I told them it was easy to win a penny war when your floor is filled with 2 cent whores!  

I found out that counts as a hate crime.  Oops!   :-\

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #174 on: March 29, 2011, 02:36:23 PM »
Once at Carpenter Hall we had a penny war between the floors.  The third floor (an all girls floor who we disliked) won it and I told them it was easy to win a penny war when your floor is filled with 2 cent whores!  

I found out that counts as a hate crime.  Oops!   :-\
Careful, I have a daughter.